PDA

View Full Version : So it's been three hours... (spoilers)

Avaris
2013-06-21, 09:30 AM
In 895, we discover that it's been three hours since the Azurites started trying to contact the Order. This means Xykon has had at least three hours to get a move on, and as Elan says could be here any minute now...

So, how do we think the fight between Tarquin and Xykon will go? Xykon will almost certainly appear outside the pyramid, as he doesn't know what defenses are active inside and wouldn't want to teleport into them. Tarquin is keeping a lookout outside. It is inevitable that the two meet before Xykon reaches the gate, and I doubt it will be friendly...

Kish
2013-06-21, 09:34 AM
I hope you're right. I very much do.

Ghost Nappa
2013-06-21, 09:37 AM
Villain Vs. Villain fights are the coolest showdowns. I'm sorry. Their general amorality and combat pragmatism towards each other makes the confrontations that much more interesting

pearl jam
2013-06-21, 10:01 AM
Xykon will almost certainly appear outside the pyramid, as he doesn't know what defenses are active inside and wouldn't want to teleport into them.

This is plausible, but I don't know that I would count on Xykon fearing to teleport straight in. It would assure him the element of surprise, which combined with his not inconsiderable power could easily defuse many defenses quickly.:smalleek:

Reddish Mage
2013-06-21, 10:42 AM
I don't know about a direct villain on villain fight. Tarquin is a very clever strategic mind but the sheer amount of power Xykon has at his disposal trumps that. Its like seeing your deep and intricately laid out adventure being cheesed through.

Tarquin does have a scheme we have yet to see though, and that could well prove an equalizer.

factotum
2013-06-21, 10:43 AM
This is plausible, but I don't know that I would count on Xykon fearing to teleport straight in.

In order to teleport that precisely he'd have to be able to scry the Gate chamber--chances are he can't do that, particularly with the lead sheet and so on in there.

asphias
2013-06-21, 10:45 AM
the 3 hours still tell us little.

we know that Niu had to run as far as she could, and only once she was clear, contact Hinjo. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0827.html

i'd say i wouldn't be surprised if she walked for like one more hour to stay safe from any goblins.

then, we've got Hinjo who had to go back to camp before he could contact the order.

thus, we really don't know exactly how long it was between the fall of the resistance and now. on the other hand, we have no clue exactly how long team evil will take to cast spells at the tomb thingy, and whether they decide redcloak will have to rest or not after casting those spells ( http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0833.html ).

thus, we have no clue exactly when they will arrive, which means they arrive exactly when narratively necessary.

Gift Jeraff
2013-06-21, 10:47 AM
Even better. The fight already happened, and when Nale & co. reach the entrance they will be greeted by Team Evil and a zombified Tarquin.

What better way to off the man who swore by narrative structure, than to kill him off-screen? :smallwink:

Flame of Anor
2013-06-21, 12:03 PM
Villain Vs. Villain fights are the coolest showdowns. I'm sorry. Their general amorality and combat pragmatism towards each other makes the confrontations that much more interesting

Plus you don't have to worry too much about the good guys being killed. :smallwink:

This is plausible, but I don't know that I would count on Xykon fearing to teleport straight in.

Forget fearing to teleport in--how would he know exactly where to go? Latitude/longitude coordinates, such as are probably in Serini's diary, are not precise enough to point to a location inside the pyramid.

Crusher
2013-06-21, 12:42 PM
Depending on how many days worth of spells Redcloak needed to cast and whether Xykon thinks its worth letting him rest, Team Evil's ETA is anywhere from -2 to 46 hours, so they could have arrived 2 hours ago or they might not show for a couple more days.

Judging from past history with Gate guardians, I think Xykon is going to have Redcloak rest before they jump in. They've had 4 battles for Gates so far (including the first and second battles for Lirians Gate separately), and the results were:

- Decisive Loss (Lirian #1)
- Victory snatched from Jaws of Defeat at the last second via pure luck (Soon)
- Victory after moderately tough fight (Dorukan)
- Steamroll Victory (Lirian #2)

So they're 3 for 4, but if Lirian had been a hard-a** they'd have gone 0 for 1 and been done. And while they're 3 for 3 since then its a very shaky 3 for 3. Of those 3 wins, one was a second crack at an opponent that had beaten them before but they got a chance to prepare and surprise attack her, and one was five seconds away from total defeat before they lucked into victory. Dorukan was the only one that was an even-footing flat-out win for Team Evil.

Also, this is the first gate they've gone after without a full army supporting them (or what was left of it for Lirian #2). If I was Xykon I would feel pretty good about their chances and success rate so far, but there's certainly no basis for cockiness.

Purgatorius
2013-06-21, 12:49 PM
What happens in D&D if you teleport into a wall?

Lord Torath
2013-06-21, 12:59 PM
Depends on the Edition. In the earlier versions, you were just dead. Your matter was interspersed with that of the wall, and that was the end of you. Maybe a wish could save you (from someone else. You couldn't make it). Not sure about the 3.5. Appear in the closest open space?

But I'm reasonably certain Xykon is high-enough level for Teleport Without Error, which removes the possibility entirely.

Olinser
2013-06-21, 03:03 PM
Xykon knows that the Gate is guarded by an illusionist on par with Lirian, Dorukan and Soon.

There is no way Xykon is going to be stupid enough to just teleport straight in to the Gate location - especially since it's almost certainly warded against exactly that action.

Flame of Anor
2013-06-21, 04:10 PM
Depends on the Edition. In the earlier versions, you were just dead. Your matter was interspersed with that of the wall, and that was the end of you. Maybe a wish could save you (from someone else. You couldn't make it). Not sure about the 3.5. Appear in the closest open space?

But I'm reasonably certain Xykon is high-enough level for Teleport Without Error, which removes the possibility entirely.

There is no Teleport Without Error in 3.5, it's Greater Teleport.

But, to answer the question: the spell Teleport does not cover arriving in a wall. Dimension Door, however, says that you take damage and are shunted to the nearest open space if there is one.

LightPhoenix
2013-06-22, 02:18 AM
Xykon knows that the Gate is guarded by an illusionist on par with Lirian, Dorukan and Soon.

There is no way Xykon is going to be stupid enough to just teleport straight in to the Gate location - especially since it's almost certainly warded against exactly that action.

Doubly true since Xykon was almost defeated by Soon and (SoD spoilers) almost defeated by Lirian as well.