PDA

View Full Version : Obscure Prestige Class

cerin616
2013-06-21, 10:08 AM
Trying to find a specific prestige class right now... I cant recall much of it other than one thing that really caught my eye. You can reduce the damage done by an attack to increase your attack roll by the same number. (inverse power attack)

I'm still searching, but if someone happens to know what it is, then thanks.

thethird
2013-06-21, 10:14 AM
Arcane Duelist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a)

Dexterous Attack (Ex): Because the arcane duelist values successful hits over actual damage dealt, she can subtract damage from her chosen melee weapon's potential damage and add the same amount to her attack bonus. However, the weapon must do a minimum 1 point of damage. For example, the arcane duelist who wields a rapier as her chosen weapon can subtract up to 5 points from the damage, since the rapier has a damage potential of 6 points, and add that to her attack bonus. If she were wielding a +3 rapier, she could subtract up to 8 points from damage, since the weapon has a damage potential of 9 points, and add that to her attack bonus. The arcane duelist declares this power before rolling her attack, and the amount subtracted cannot exceed her base attack bonus.

Add a two handed weapon and power attack and have fun.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-21, 10:23 AM
Add a two handed weapon and power attack and have fun.

Wait...hold on...just a sec...are you suggesting taking a Two-Handed Sword, activating Dexterous Attack to reduce the potential damage and raise the attack bonus, then activating Power Attack to reduce the attack bonus and increase the damage by double the amount?

I find it interesting that in the prerequisites for the class they include Weapon Proficiency with a rapier, short sword, dagger, or any variation of these weapons as given in Sword and Fist. However, under the Chosen Weapon class feature, they do not specify that the chosen weapon has to be one of these types of weapons. Thus, they leave open the loophole described above.

thethird
2013-06-21, 10:30 AM
Wait...hold on...just a sec...are you suggesting taking a Two-Handed Sword, activating Dexterous Attack to reduce the potential damage and raise the attack bonus, then activating Power Attack to reduce the attack bonus and increase the damage by double the amount?

Yep, that is what I am suggesting.

Der_DWSage
2013-06-21, 10:31 AM
It looks like this was made in the wild days of 3.0, mate.

Just let it go. There weren't as many man-hours put into dissecting every little thing they did back then.

Friv
2013-06-21, 10:42 AM
It looks like this was made in the wild days of 3.0, mate.

Just let it go. There weren't as many man-hours put into dissecting every little thing they did back then.

Honestly, even that isn't that absurd, although it is a touch silly. You're basically using a combination of a feat and a class feature to add your BAB to your damage, since both effects cap at a transfer of BAB.