PDA

View Full Version : Question about the OOTS mythos

Canisius
2013-06-21, 04:25 PM
I was just reading the thread for the latest comic, and someone posted a link to a forum member's timeline of the OOTS-verse. I remember a lot of these events from reading the online comic, but there's a lot of stuff I don't recall.

Is there stuff in the OOTS-verse that's not represented in the online comics? Something published in hardcopy? There was a ton of detail in that timeline that I can't find mention of in the online comic - unless it was constructed with hints that I missed.

Thanks. Love this turn of events in the comic, btw.

RMS Oceanic
2013-06-21, 04:31 PM
It was probably my timeline you were linked to. :smallsmile:

There are currently three print-only books, and the first two detail events before Comic #1.

On The Origin Of PCs tells how the Order met and why they went to fight Xykon.

Start of Darkness tells how Team Evil formed, and why they're seeking the gate, which wasn't explicitly explained until Comic #830.

Mike Havran
2013-06-21, 04:35 PM
Is there stuff in the OOTS-verse that's not represented in the online comics? Something published in hardcopy?

I think all printed books contain some additional strips and info that is not available online.

CRtwenty
2013-06-21, 04:42 PM
Yes, the two prequel books give a lot of information on things that occurred prior to the start of the comic. Origin of PCs is mostly character centric, but Start of Darkness gives some more background on the world itself.

asphias
2013-06-21, 08:53 PM
also, all the 'print versions' of the online strip have some bonus strips in them. as i still have to buy these at some point, i only know for sure about the scene of rescuing roy's corpse (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0645.html) but i'm quite sure every print book has a few.

here's (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/comics_order-of-the-stick.shtml)the shop for all the books by the way ;-)

Porthos
2013-06-21, 09:39 PM
I think all printed books contain some additional strips and info that is not available online.

also, all the 'print versions' of the online strip have some bonus strips in them. as i still have to buy these at some point, i only know for sure about the scene of rescuing roy's corpse (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0645.html) but i'm quite sure every print book has a few.

here's (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/comics_order-of-the-stick.shtml)the shop for all the books by the way ;-)

Yes, all of the compilation books have new material.

DCF has an all new 9 page introduction to the comic set between oOotPCs and Strip No 1. It also has 9 other stand alone strips sprinkled throughout the book. Some are one strip gags, others accentuate plot points found online. This gives a total of 18 pages of new comics.

NCftPB has 12 extra pages of comics, most of which extend scenes seen in the online strips, some which are more standalone. It also has a two page 'recap' of the events that took place in DCF, told as only Elan could tell. :smallamused:

W&XPs has 14 extra pages of comics, once again most of which extend scenes seen in the online strips. A couple of them are more character pieces, however. Like NCftPB, it also has a two page recap, this time done by Vaarsuvius. Finally W&XPs reworks how a couple of the online strips are presented to better fit the layout of a book.

DStP has 17 extra pages of comics. Unlike NCftPB and W&XPs, but more like DCF, 14 of these pages are in two long scene 'blocks'. The other 3 were ones that added to a couple of the scenes in the online strips. DStP also has Belkar and Haley giving a recap of the strip so far. Or perhaps I should I say it has Belkar giving a 'recap' of the strip. You'll have to read it to find out what I mean by that. :smallamused:

So, all in all, and counting the recaps (if you read them, you'll see why I include them), the compilation books have 67 pages of bonus comic strip content. Add in some character drawings, chapter splash pages, and various other doodles and ancillary extras and one winds up with quite a bit of extra content in each book before one even gets to the commentary and the various introductions and forewards.