PDA

View Full Version : Tensers Transformation questions: To UMD or not to UMD?

SirKillalot
2013-06-21, 05:02 PM
ok, so casting Transformation makes you loose all spellcasting abilities: litteral text below:

You become a virtual fighting machine—stronger, tougher, faster, and more skilled in combat. Your mind-set changes so that you relish combat and you can’t cast spells, even from magic items.

You gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution, a +4 natural armor bonus to AC, a +5 competence bonus on Fortitude saves, and proficiency with all simple and martial weapons. Your base attack bonus equals your character level (which may give you multiple attacks).

You lose your spellcasting ability, including your ability to use spell trigger or spell completion magic items, just as if the spells were no longer on your class list.

My question is: While under effect of Tenser's Transformation, could I activate magical items and spell triggers with the UMD (Use magic device)skill?

Imo the spell makes u loose the ability because it is linked to spellcastingCLASS, while UMD is a roguelike skill which emulated magic use in an entirely different way and from a different CLASS.

My character is a Rogue 3/Wizard 5/Arcane Trickster 6, able to cast 6th lvl spells and with UMD

Please give me your opinion :)

Flickerdart
2013-06-21, 05:14 PM
You could, since losing spells off your class list matters not to UMD. But why not just UMD Divine Power? It's a lower level, and gives a bigger bonus (if you really want the +DEX and +CON, just buy better stat boosters). Almost all that nifty stuff you get from Tenser's doesn't stack with things you should already have from other sources.

Vaz
2013-06-21, 05:14 PM
Yes, you could UMD, but you'd need to meet the required check.

SirKillalot
2013-06-21, 05:23 PM
I would go for tensers since it grants fighter base attack bonus and number of atacks accordingly

SirKillalot
2013-06-21, 05:24 PM
And I just saw that Divine Power grants that too. ^^ thanks for the tip!

Divine Power is what is says though, a divine spell, so I'd require scrolls or a different item to use it as an arcane caster. Furthermore it would force me to make more UMD checks for emulating higher Wisdom score to be able to use divine stuff (UMD check -15 is score, which would require me to have UMD of at least 29 to reach 14 Wis) which is more difficult than activating blindly with DC 25.

Also, Tensers Transformation grants an +4 natural AC bonus that does rather come in handy when switching to melee...

Big Fau
2013-06-21, 06:23 PM
The best thing about Divine Power is that it is compatible with wands (the BAB increase isn't tied to your CL, although the temp HP is). TT isn't, and TT has a material component that gets costly very quick.

Also, stacking DP with Polymorph/Alter Self+Mage Armor+Shield means you are going to be a better Fighter than most.