2013-06-21, 06:07 PM
Sarcasm
Mod action
Secrecy
thog speak

Any others?

The Rose Dragon
2013-06-21, 07:06 PM
Well, yes, sarcasm is universally noted by blue text. It's not like some people *cough cough* find it ugly or a painful color to look at or anything.

I don't know, nothing is really universal except for moderators using red text to signify they are posting in an official capacity. Blue has just somehow become shorthand for sarcastic text. At least it isn't used too often, thank gods.

TuggyNE
2013-06-21, 07:47 PM
There's always my sig. Gray nitpicking seems to be moderately well-known, but green sincerity and dark orchid insanity not so much.

Eggynack uses purple for drama.

Ashtagon likes to go against the flow and use blue for emphasis (instead of bolding, presumably), and I think purple for sarcasm?

Not sure if there are any others.

Ravens_cry
2013-06-22, 12:50 AM
Magenta, yellow or cyan mean you are a jerk who doesn't care about legibility.
And no, I am not giving a visual example.

Razanir
2013-06-22, 08:58 AM
Magenta, yellow or cyan mean you are a jerk who doesn't care about legibility.
And no, I am not giving a visual example.

Why ever not?

^Only the yellow looks bad to me

The Rose Dragon
2013-06-22, 09:33 AM
Magenta is sort of acceptable. Cyan and yellow should both be shot to death.

Eldan
2013-06-22, 09:37 AM
Magenta can remotely work, though it's ugly. The other two can barely be seen against a white bakcground.

Archonic Energy
2013-06-22, 09:50 AM
White is for stabbing the hippie
[b]*Stab*[b]

Amidus Drexel
2013-06-22, 09:56 AM
I have about 9 different colours that I use, but that's mostly for arguing with myself. :smallamused:

erikun
2013-06-22, 10:42 AM
I tend to use "SIZE=1" for aside notes, or things that don't directly relate to the conversation but are still relevant. I have also seen people use (and occasionally use myself) asterisks* or superscript1 for notations, although I rarely post anything so involved that I need that.

I also tend to place this smaller text in its own paragraph, to avoid jarring text size changes.

*This is an example of an asterisk footnote.

1And here is the superscript one.

valadil
2013-06-22, 03:12 PM
Same as erikun. I recognize red mod text. Any other colors I read as a poor attempt at self expression. If there are conventions for what colors mean I don't know them.

If you really wanted a way to write in sarcasm without having a predefined convention, I think italics would work for me.

Jormengand
2013-06-22, 03:15 PM
One of my characters has multiple personalities based around alignments and stuff. Neutral, Law, Chaos, Good, Evil, Reason, Emotion. Though the last one is sometimes replaced with Emotion to prevent looking like a mod.

Ravens_cry
2013-06-22, 03:41 PM
All caps mixed with judicious use of size 1 text HAS ITS USES.

Eldan
2013-06-22, 03:43 PM
I use black text for a lot of things, personally.

Morcleon
2013-06-22, 05:19 PM
White text tends to be used for jokes, you-see-what-I-did-there comments, and various insanity based stuff. Wink wink.

Ravens_cry
2013-06-22, 05:32 PM
I use black text for a lot of things, personally.
Jokes aside, it can, and is permitted under very controlled circumstances, bypass the censor, for example enabling a discussion about **** Tracy or Moby ****.

Eldan
2013-06-22, 06:17 PM
Jokes aside, it can, and is permitted under very controlled circumstances, bypass the censor, for example enabling a discussion about **** Tracy or Moby ****.

Or Horselover Fat.

Palanan
2013-06-22, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by tuggyne
There's always my sig. Gray nitpicking seems to be moderately well-known, but green sincerity and dark orchid insanity not so much.

Dark orchid insanity? Where I live these days.

Also, I think Ashtagon uses grey to indicate an aside, although I haven't seen her use it lately.

SiuiS
2013-06-23, 01:11 PM
Why ever not?

^Only the yellow looks bad to me

I've received official reprimand for green, so it's not your screen that matters, it's the screen of the judge. Rawhide finds this to be similar to an optical illusion, for example.

Or Horselover Fat.

What?

Dark orchid insanity? Where I live these days.

Also, I think Ashtagon uses grey to indicate an aside, although I haven't seen her use it lately.

I do that! It's so it's faded and people can scroll on by if they need to. Mostly for mechanical notes in PbP though. Don't wanna mess with the IC

Eldan
2013-06-23, 03:39 PM
Horselover Fat. Also known as Philip K. Wordforpenis.

smellie_hippie
2013-06-24, 07:50 AM
White is for stabbing the hippie
[b]*Stab*[b]

Stab! Well played good sir!

You have also forgotten that Sienna is typically used for Trog Speak.

Razanir
2013-06-24, 11:03 PM

Yeah! It makes it sound like two concrete blocks being rubbed together

erikun
2013-06-25, 09:41 AM
Okay, that looks neat. Thanks for showing me that, although I'd probably use size 2 alongside it to preserve the format for different monitors.

Of course, I would use such very judiciously; it would probably be quite annoying to see all the time. Then again, I rarely use other formatting, so this isn't likely to come up that frequently either. :smallbiggrin:

The Dark Fiddler
2013-06-26, 10:22 AM

I actually REALLY like this effect and will have to remember it for the FUTURE.