PDA

View Full Version : Movie soundtracks that don't match the film.

watsonjack
2013-06-22, 02:34 AM
Was thinking about it this morning and one came to mind. I absolutely love the song kiss from a rose by seal but I don't think it suited batman forever much. I think it would have been a better match for batman returns

Brother Oni
2013-06-22, 08:16 AM
Was thinking about it this morning and one came to mind. I absolutely love the song kiss from a rose by seal but I don't think it suited batman forever much. I think it would have been a better match for batman returns

I don't think Kiss from a Rose suits the mood for Batman Returns. It's a bit too bright in mood for the film.

The pop/rock element in the Ladyhawke soundtrack is particularly jarring in my opinion and hasn't aged well, particularly in comparison with Conan the Barbarian which was released a couple years earlier.

Killer Angel
2013-06-22, 08:41 AM
The pop/rock element in the Ladyhawke soundtrack is particularly jarring in my opinion and hasn't aged well, particularly in comparison with Conan the Barbarian which was released a couple years earlier.

psstt... I believe whatsonjack is a spammy account. :smallwink:

That said, the thread is salvageable.
For example, "All This and World War Too" is a musical documentary that juxtaposes Beatles songs, with WWII footage. Bad idea.

Cikomyr
2013-06-22, 08:51 AM

That said, the thread is salvageable.
For example, "All This and World War Too" is a musical documentary that juxtaposes Beatles songs, with WWII footage. Bad idea.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/constructive.png

I believe this TvTropes page might be a good reference..? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SoundtrackDissonance)

Brother Oni
2013-06-23, 01:34 PM

Ah dammit, didn't spot the sig spam this time. :smallsigh:

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-06-23, 02:53 PM
I kinda like the thread, but I'll understand if it gets mod-locked or something.

For my own part, Quentin Tarantino is one of the directors who (IMO) does this well. Technically, his soundtracks really don't fit his movies, except that...they really do. If that makes any sense. In the most awesome way.

Case in point. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJlu_xo79k8) This song should not work for the entrance of a bunch of psychopathic yakuza killers.

But it does. Oh, it does.

Cikomyr
2013-06-23, 05:44 PM
I kinda like the thread, but I'll understand if it gets mod-locked or something.

For my own part, Quentin Tarantino is one of the directors who (IMO) does this well. Technically, his soundtracks really don't fit his movies, except that...they really do. If that makes any sense. In the most awesome way.

Case in point. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJlu_xo79k8) This song should not work for the entrance of a bunch of psychopathic yakuza killers.

Oh yhea... "Battle without Honor or Humanity"

A classic. I guess another one example of soundtrack dissonance:

Cowboy Bebop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amCYjep3KMQ)

Dumbledore lives
2013-06-23, 05:50 PM
Evangelion has some of the best examples of soundtrack dissonance. One of the more prominent examples is here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXLRf3Pg854). Note, there are some spoilers.

Nerd-o-rama
2013-06-23, 07:34 PM
At some point between episode 20 or so and End of Evangelion, Evangelion basically became "The end of the world happens whilst I play inappropriate music."

That said, as far as thing that really don't work, I'm still mad that the credits music for The Devil's Advocate was Paint it Black and not Sympathy for the Devil. Damn licensing costs.

Kitten Champion
2013-06-23, 08:43 PM
I've always considered the opening score of Star Trek TOS to be pretty stupid. The first part, with Kirk's voice-over is fine, but the rest is too peppy to be this uplifting dramatic score which the later shows did so well. I could chalk it up to cheapness, but it just seems like a tonal issue.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-06-23, 10:03 PM
Also, this isn't a movie, but I'm pretty sure there's some Madoka fans who'd agree with me that this applies to the Madoka OP.

Amirite? :smallbiggrin:

Cikomyr
2013-06-24, 03:25 AM
Also, this isn't a movie, but I'm pretty sure there's some Madoka fans who'd agree with me that this applies to the Madoka OP.

The entire freakkin' Madoka opening is completely wrong to begin with.

Killer Angel
2013-06-24, 06:00 AM

Well, the soundtrack of A clockwork orange is highly discordant with respect to scenes. :smallwink:
But it's perfect.

Eldan
2013-06-24, 06:57 AM
Hm. Is this about scenes where a director choses a soundtrack that technically has a different subject and mood than what is shown but still fits and makes the scene better (Evangelion, Bebop, Tarantino, Clockwork Orange) or something that just doesn't work at all?

Killer Angel
2013-06-24, 07:01 AM
Hm. Is this about scenes where a director choses a soundtrack that technically has a different subject and mood than what is shown but still fits and makes the scene better (Evangelion, Bebop, Tarantino, Clockwork Orange) or something that just doesn't work at all?

I would say both.
You only have to specify the cathegory...

Rolling Thunder
2013-06-25, 06:21 AM
Muse- Neutron Star Collision is a truly masterful song. But Twilight did not do it justice in any way!

I also have to think the ending of Full Metal Jacket
M-I-C-K-E-Y etc
fits perfectly into this thread.

Mordar
2013-06-25, 06:05 PM
Well, the soundtrack of A clockwork orange is highly discordant with respect to scenes. :smallwink:
But it's perfect.

But that doesn't count given that it was selected to be oppositional...but of course you know that.

- M

Rosstin
2013-06-25, 10:28 PM
I don't think Kiss from a Rose suits the mood for Batman Returns. It's a bit too bright in mood for the film.

Thank you for making me listen to the Ladyhawke soundtrack again, hahaha... no it doesn't match the subject matter particularly well, but that kind of makes it better in an 80s sort of way.

The movie Necropolis (1987) has this scene in the beginning where a witch is doing some kind of satanic dance to chanting. Then suddenly the chanting changes to 80s pop rock and she starts breakdancing.

[BTW Necropolis is TERRIBLE in a hilarious way! Please don't blame me if you watch it and are horribly offended, it implies that homosexuality is satanic, and that the proper way to feed zombies is with breastmilk.]

Kindablue
2013-06-26, 01:45 PM
The most sensitive of all the Batmans. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=xj5VI9KEpbM)

Gnoman
2013-06-26, 03:38 PM
The soundrack to the movie Battleship wouldn't really match any film, being simply an arrangement of AC/DC tracks played seemingly at random throughout the movie.

Goosefeather
2013-06-26, 03:41 PM
The soundrack to the movie Battleship wouldn't really match any film, being simply an arrangement of AC/DC tracks played seemingly at random throughout the movie.

I thought that was the soundtrack to Iron Man? :smalltongue:

Nerd-o-rama
2013-06-27, 08:25 AM
I thought that was the soundtrack to Iron Man? :smalltongue:

Iron Man adds in some Black Sabbath when they can afford it over RDJ's salary.

Brother Oni
2013-06-27, 12:01 PM
Thank you for making me listen to the Ladyhawke soundtrack again, hahaha... no it doesn't match the subject matter particularly well, but that kind of makes it better in an 80s sort of way.

If they went with a 'traditional' classical track, then they would have made the movie fairly timeless, much like the 1982 Conan, rather than cementing it into the 80s forever. :smalltongue:

That said, there are a couple nice traditional tracks. I particularly like the traditional tune when Phillipe and Isabel are dancing in the barn (Wedding Music is the track name), although that's probably my personal tastes speaking.

Closet_Skeleton
2013-06-30, 05:16 PM

Hardly.

Especially not if you compare it to an opening from a less dark magical girl series.

Madoka's opening is really melancholy.

I can name plenty of terrible anime that don't deserve their high quality sound tracks, does that count? Though some of those are actually good if you focus on the sound track and ignore the plot. Which only really works if you want to listen to the soundtrack and don't have a better idea of what to do at the same time.

I don't think Highlander's sound track really fitted but that may be me not being a Queen fan, except I won't say Flash Gordon's sound track doesn't fit.

Radar
2013-07-01, 12:30 PM
The first opening song for Death Note was not very fitting, but the second one was totaly out of place - hardcore metal has nothing to do with a series focusing on a more or less subtle information and psychological war.

Dissonance that did work:
Dr Strangelove ending (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4VlruVG81w)

Mx.Silver
2013-07-01, 03:47 PM
I can think of a few songs that were too good for their film (and vice versa). I suspect that doesn't really count though.

The first opening song for Death Note was not very fitting, but the second one was totaly out of place - hardcore metal has nothing to do with a series focusing on a more or less subtle information and psychological war.

The second ending theme (by the same band) is explicitly about Death Note, and would probably have worked better. Actually, both ending themes fit the show better than their respective openings.

zorenathres
2013-07-02, 07:06 PM
watched Doomsday recently, & the music was terrible, like putting some ridiculous pop song in the middle of the mad max chase at the end...

not to mention that the shift from a post-apocalyptic pink mohawk movie into a medieval setting really set me ajar.

Surrealistik
2013-07-04, 11:29 PM
1984. Eurythmics. That is all.

An Enemy Spy
2013-07-10, 12:55 AM
I'm confused. Why would a spambot ask about about innappropriate soundtrack songs? How does that translate into filling my computer with malware, the only purpose spambots have?

Iruka
2013-07-10, 03:11 AM
I'm confused. Why would a spambot ask about about innappropriate soundtrack songs? How does that translate into filling my computer with malware, the only purpose spambots have?

I think it originally had some links in its sig.

Killer Angel
2013-07-10, 01:09 PM
I think it originally had some links in its sig.

Indeed, it had.

That said, back on topic: I've always found "bizarre" the choice to use, in An American Werewolf in London, songs as Bad Moon Rising (Creedence Clearwater Revival) and Blue Moon (The Marcels' version), which have an happy mood...