PDA

View Full Version : Build an Acid Mage

Feint's End
2013-06-22, 03:09 AM
Hey playground. I was just wondering how you guys would build an Acid Mage? Energy Substitution of course is a must but what else? Are there any good PRCs?

I'm thinking of using a blaster based on Acid and not sure on how to approach the whole thing. Only thing I know is I want to have a Changeling and go for 5 levels of Recaster. I would prefer Sorceror but that limits my PRC choice a bit since I can only take 9 levels of other PRCs then.

Looking forward to what you come up with.

Ashtagon
2013-06-22, 03:16 AM
Don't forget to stock up on illusion spells as well, for the humour value.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-22, 04:34 AM
Necropolitian Gray Elf Generalist Domain Wizard 5/ Incantatrix 10/ Archmage 4/ Mindbender 1.

Standard mailman type build except use Mastery of the Elements to make all your damage acid.

Its fun to turn a Wall of Fire into a field of Acid by using it with Sculpt Spell + Mastery of Shaping. That is a great way to destroy property.

Although doing a Chain Orb of Fire (Acid/Sonic) is better than pretty much anything else for tunneling and taking care of property. Each one will one shot destroy a 5 foot cube of solid stone (or most everything else). So take out forty in a round and then activate your Mage's Lucubration trap to get the spell slots back so that you can keep it up all day.

Gildedragon
2013-06-22, 04:44 AM
I'd go for a mastery of illusion/enchantment with a focus on pattern effects as battlefield control and [acid] effects as the main damage dealers.

Max ranks in craft alchemy is a must.

You can boost your entry level into PrC's that require a minimum level of spell by using Versatile Spellcaster... which is an excellent feat anyways so there

weckar
2013-06-22, 05:26 AM
So take out forty in a round and then activate your Mage's Lucubration trap to get the spell slots back so that you can keep it up all day.
Unless you know a way to build mobile traps I'm not aware of, might as well make that a command word magic item while you're at it. Continuous would probably contradict the spell description.

Why is that cheese not used more often, again?

Crasical
2013-06-22, 05:42 AM
There's an elementally focused caster PRC called 'Elemental Savant' in the Complete Arcane. I took it on my tiki-and-volcano themed druid because it automatically energy-shifts all your damaging spells to your favored type, because for some reason I thought that Energy Substitution used up a slot a level higher, when apparently that doesn't seem to be the case.

stack
2013-06-22, 09:11 AM
There's an elementally focused caster PRC called 'Elemental Savant' in the Complete Arcane. I took it on my tiki-and-volcano themed druid because it automatically energy-shifts all your damaging spells to your favored type, because for some reason I thought that Energy Substitution used up a slot a level higher, when apparently that doesn't seem to be the case.

It does in pathfinder. Lousy change.

almightycoma
2013-06-22, 09:49 AM
If you make it to the capstone the acid type gets earth elemental traits. which get you earth glide I think, and is a pretty cool way to get around.

Padraix
2013-06-22, 10:24 AM
Haha here's an idea i've always wanted to try. Combine the fallowing spells for some mayhem

Tier 3: Engulfing Terror: Create a single gelatinous cube.
Tier 1: Babau Slime: Secretes body-covering acid that damages attacking foes.

And maybe slap some of this on that puppy?

Tier 2: Incendiary Slime: creates a slippery, and highly flammable grease

:smallbiggrin:

Ignominia
2013-06-22, 11:28 AM
Acidic splatter reserve feat might fit the bill...

CyberThread
2013-06-22, 01:12 PM
why no oozemaster prc...