PDA

View Full Version : Idea's for contingent druid spells

Katana1515
2013-06-22, 04:48 AM
Hi !

I am currently doing prep work for the campaign i intend to run over the summer. Its a evil aligned Gestalt, all splatbooks allowed mess of a game were all the players are running the munchkinned up characters they always wanted to play put never have (with quite a lot of homebrew thrown in). the idea is it should make a nice contrast to the good aligned/moderately low power game one of my players is currently running.

Anyway I am not inclined to go easy on them this time and am beginning to build a lvl 11 Druid to act as the first BBGG they have to confront. Amongst her various other tricks I was plotting to give her the Craft Contingent Spell Feat so she would have more versatility.

To get to my actual question what spells would the playground recommend as contingent spells? what triggers would you use? any other advice on running a druid like this as a BBGG for a bunch of powergamers would also be appreciated.

thanks for your responses ahead of time!

karkus
2013-06-22, 05:04 AM
Well, this isn't exactly a contingency, but you could buy a magic item for 17,500 gps which supplements 250 XP to its wearer each day (but only for the purposes of spellcasting, etc; it doesn't actually give you XP).

What I'm saying you should do is just Awaken every Colossal-sized oak tree that you find, turning it into a powerful, Neutral Evil, personal bodyguard. Keep in mind, however, that you will have to spend 24 hours casting the spell in order to Awaken them, but aside from the time, it's pretty much a costless task for yourself.

How long have your party members known each other for? Be an elf or similarly-long-lived race and say that for every day since graduating Druid college, you have been Awakening trees, giving yourself an arbitrarily large amount of allies.

(I'm also not saying that you should have them all follow you around everywhere you go; just have about half a dozen Huge trees with you at most, but have all other trees form a living forest with one another somewhere out in the countryside. It makes a perfect hideout!)

Edit: I should also probably note that this is ALL Core material. :smalltongue:

ArcturusV
2013-06-22, 02:01 PM
Well, the obvious choice for a villain is a Contingent Reincarnate. Usually with a long term villain you want some form of Life Insurance anyway. That's right built into the Druid class, so you might as well take it. Same with Transport via Plants as a getaway card.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-06-22, 02:35 PM
How nasty do you want to get? Flesh to Salt (Sand), Spiritjaws (SpC), Drown (SpC) and Mummify (Sand) make for a nasty surprise if you set the trigger conditions to "being injured with melee/spells" (target their weak saves :smallamused:)
For more defensive contingencies, Antilife Shell (SRD) shuts melee down cold. Stoneskin, Freedom of Movement and Protection from Energy are effective as well. Combine Scalding Mud (Sand) with fire resistance for no-save AoE damage.

If you're out of ideas fill the rest of you capacity up with summons. SNA VI gets you huge elementals and the Oread (FF) with it's nasty SLA's (Earthquake, Charm Monster, Transmute Rock to Mud among others).
Alternatively, Giant Crocodiles and Yellow Musk Creepers (FF) from the SNA IV list. The YMC's rolls are a bit on the low side but you can get a few of them for a single spell to make up for it.

Do you have a build in mind for your BBGG druid?

For tactics, could you tell us what your PCs builds?
Some general things: Have mooks. Single boss enemies might be all cinematic and stuff but they won't last long against the parties action advantage.
Use the terrain. Druids have Woodland Stride and can Wildshape into several mobility forms, don't just stand there and let the party nuke you down.
Have a basic strategy. I assume the fight takes places on the druids home ground. Does he have any traps set up? Escape routes planned?