PDA

View Full Version : [DH] How awful an idea is a Mechanicus Inqusition?

Trekkin
2013-06-22, 01:22 PM
I'm considering running a Dark Heresy game, and one of the things that's always kept me away from it in the past is how the Imperium works, the Inquisition in particular; my players tend not to like hidebound theocracies. We all like the setting in theory, but there isn't really a place to put my players where they won't get terminally heretical out of pragmatism -- and as much as that's fine, I find my games work better when my players' actions are generally approved of by their support structure, and DH doesn't look like it supports a Ciaphas Cain/ Gaunt's Ghosts - style Imperium.

As a way around this, it occured to me that it might work to have them operate under the auspices of the Mechanicum, albeit a Mechanicum less against innovation than they appear to be. Going off Titanicus, Mechanicum, and similar, it doesn't look like that huge a jump to make the Omnissiah an acknowledged anthropomorphization of "the sum of all knowledge" or similar and make the official equivalence to the Emperor even more of an outright lie than it already is, which lets official AdMech doctrine tacitly permit safe innovation /experimentation as long as the Imps don't notice; thus the explorator fleets and similar. That way I can let my players muck about discreetly with the technology and they won't rail against the Mechanicum's technological stasis; they'll accept caution over modifying a Titan more readily than they will a religion based around venerating decrepit machinery.

It also lets me explain away the ridiculousness of the Titans and the ships by way of their being constructed by an entire civilization of people who think technology's cool for its own sake. In essence, "because they could and giant robots are awesome".

I'm thinking it works like this: given the more puritanical Inquisitors' tendencies toward burning first and investigating later, the Mechanicum's Inquisition basically works to minimize collateral damage to AdMech assets. I can bounce the players between "liaising" with the Ordos, autonomously investigating incidents in Mechanicum space to deny the Inquisition a reason to meddle, and outright running rings around the Imperial Inquisition, keeping a step ahead of them and planting evidence to redirect Inquisitorial attention away from Mechanicum affairs. It lets me have them under Mechanicum purview without making them all cybered up to the nines, anyway.

This pretty much mandates running the players' boss three steps beyond Radical, but it also gives me a way to have the Imperial Inquisiton be both a help to and a headache for the PCs; with all the ways the AdMech has of correcting heterodoxy and repurposing useful personnel, they insist on wastefully destroying everything. It also means the AdMech works like the Spartan educational system: Tech-heresy isn't necessarily a problem, but being caught by the Imperium practicing tech-heresy certainly is.

So how bad an idea is this? I know it's a departure from canon, but is it a fatally contradictory one? What stops making sense if this is the case in my game?

And how does "Mechanicum equivalent to the Inquisition" translate into bad latin?

Juhn
2013-06-22, 02:14 PM
I'm fairly sure the Machine Cult would have an inquisition of sorts, considering technological heresy is a thing.

And the Mechanicus do innovate, that's just left to the higher-level Magoses who can actually comprehend what they're mucking with. The rituals that the lower-level members blindly follow and repeat tend to involve legitimate maintenance procedures for incredibly complex machinery, and they exist in their present form to make sure nothing breaks as they try to maintain it. The really smart guys whose brains are now 93% computer can afford to be more flexible.

For the really radical innovations they will occasionally pull out the "We totally found an STC somewhere that had this. For reals."

Andrewmoreton
2013-06-23, 04:03 AM
The Lathe worlds supplement has the mechanicus internal security force (the dragon lords) in it who are their inquisition equivalent and engaged in a low level conflict with the real inquisition to see who can keep secrets from the other.

I don't see that your idea would break the setting. I also don't see any need for it just work for a radical inquisitor , if an inquisitor can get away with summoning daemons (they can) then messing with tech a bit is no problem unless you run into mechanicus agents. In general I think that many inquisitors support the end justifies the means approach and so long as the characters are apparently loyal to their inquisitor , apparently loyal to the imperium/emperor they should be ok unless they do something to cross their boss or another inquisitor but some degree of paranoia is required.
In the games I have run so far my players have been less radical than the inquisitors they worked for.

What may cause problems is if your players start trying to apply real world science/physics to things . I have spent some time trying to apply some RW physics to spaceships in the setting and even ignoring Warp travel and Void shields it does not work at all, WH40K is not science fiction it is a fantasy game where technology is a branch of magic

Trekkin
2013-06-24, 08:13 AM
I forgot Lathe Worlds had been published. The Lords Dragon work more or less exactly like what I want.

The Glyphstone
2013-06-24, 12:28 PM
Nobody expects the Mechanicus Inquisition?

Dead_Jester
2013-06-24, 04:38 PM
Nobody expects the Mechanicus Inquisition?

I mean, its not like they are also red robbed maniacs or anything...

And if you are going the Lords Dragon route, you could also add radical elements actually worshiping/acting in the interests (willingly or not) of the actual Dragon C'Tan. Bonus points for 3 way conflicts between chaos and necron radicals and puritans sects, and for keeping it right under the nose of the actual Inquisition.

Mordar
2013-06-24, 06:22 PM
Well, you could always run Rogue Trader and still do Chaos storylines...or even us DH as written but without the oversight of the Inquisition. It would be a bit of a stretch to bring together too many disparate backgrounds, but it could be doable, and might reasonably lead to an RT game down the road...

- M

Dead_Jester
2013-06-24, 07:37 PM
What may cause problems is if your players start trying to apply real world science/physics to things . I have spent some time trying to apply some RW physics to spaceships in the setting and even ignoring Warp travel and Void shields it does not work at all, WH40K is not science fiction it is a fantasy game where technology is a branch of magic

Are you telling me my nova cannon shells should not be able to make an explosion 5000 km in radius while in complete vacuum? Or that my Titans should by all means be sinking everywhere they walk? Madness I say; and to think that some people would not want to slash fool xenos with a sword whilst ridding a tank...

On a slightly less tongue in cheek note, it is also important to remember that the Mechanicus always has the biggest guns around, and not a whole lot of moral qualms about using them. The only people who might have bigger guns are, incidentally, other Mechanicus people, probably of a different (and therefore heretical) sect. The Mechanicus also has a bad habit of mind-wiping and making servitors out of annoying or distasteful individuals, even if they might have remained useful in the future.

Finally, the Mechanicus is the oldest standing institution in the Imperium, and probably more internal bickering than any other. It only gets worse with external corruption. To quote the Lathe Worlds, "Put three of them in a sealed chamber and you would find no less than five factions and two secret sects."

Asmodai
2013-07-23, 06:12 PM
Honestly I've found the Mechanicus to be worse then the Inqusition. The Inqusition is rather open minded when they need cannon fodder or agents.

The key issues here is that the Inquisition is a independent organisation that answerers only to itself. Some of them are religious, others are less so. At the end of the day most of them are quite a bit more pragmatic then 99.9999% of other people in the Empire. Especially compared to the Ecclesiarchy. All you need is a Inquistor that's a bit looser for the misfits to fit right in.

jaybird
2013-08-06, 02:06 PM
I'm considering running a Dark Heresy game...

Okay. First of all, Dark Heresy is nicknamed "Catholic Space Nazis" for a good reason.

That said, the Imperium is not as hide-bound as it tends to be portrayed. Why's that? Sample bias - 40k is a wargame setting first and foremost, and the Imperial worlds that don't fit grimdark are glossed over in favour of the newest warzone with billions of casualties. All those Agri-Worlds thousands of light-years from any warzone? Boring!

Imperial leaders aren't stupid, and they aren't dogmatic beyond belief. They DO encourage those traits in subordinates to keep them under control, but by and large, an Inquisitor knows what he's doing, and unless his acolyte cell is 100% expendable, the acolytes will more or less be capable of taking initiative and acting outside mission boundaries as well.