PDA

View Full Version : Crafting Magic items specifics

Feilith
2013-06-22, 01:40 PM
Ok, so I know that to craft a magic item you need the craft wondrous item feat and an appropriate CL, but in PHB it says you must spend a number of days equal to the cost of the item divided by 1,000.

It seems a little ludicrous to say ok I'm gonna sit down and make this wild full dragonhide plate and spend the next (12x24)= 288 hours of my life doing it. Is there a time frame of how long you work on it per day?

Plus playing for 1/25 of that 12,200gp is only 492gp. A marginal amount of the 3,300 that full dragonhide plate costs without magical enhancement. Do I need to buy that base item first then add the enchantment?

Finally, most magical items seem to be useful but require a spell I don't have on my spell list, think Monk's belt requiring righteous might or transformation for druids. Can I have an NPC caster cat this spell for me to enchant the item or does he have to do it himself?

Thanks playgrounders :smallsmile:

Xervous
2013-06-22, 01:44 PM
You only work 8 hours per day on the magic item. 1k item = one day with 8 hours of work. 2k item = 2 days, 8 hours of work each. etc

The cost of the enchantment is HALF of its value in GOLD and 1/25 of its value in XP. You also need to acquire the base item if there is one.

And you can have NPCs supply the spell if you do not otherwise have access to it.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-06-22, 01:46 PM
The crafting rules for d20 normally designate about 8-10 hours per day, allowing for the remainder of the day to rest (and sleep, and eat,etc.) So long as you spend the days consecutively for the 1000 gp per day, you're golden. You can't go adventuring, you can't also work the forge, or do anything else of note other than eating, sleeping, and probably defecating. You know, normal biological needs.

So no, it's not 24-7 of concentrating on your project. But each day you work, you need the spell in question prepared because at some point, you're casting it into the object.

Your last question would have to be negotiated with your GM. RAW, I believe the crafter (the one giving up the XP) would have to have the spell. The reason for the spells, is that way Druids are selling Amulets of Natural Armor, Clerics are selling Rings of Protection, etc. It creates specific markets for individual items (and Elves are the ones making Elven Boots and Elven Cloaks).

Feilith
2013-06-22, 01:53 PM
Thanks guys. Would you say that adding Wild onto a dragonhide fullplate would require the full plate before hand, and then require the 12000gp cost (+9000 for wild +3000 for the full plate) of just the 9 days of work since I have the base item already

Xervous
2013-06-22, 01:55 PM
it is only priced per enchantment, the base item has already gone through its crafting phase.

TuggyNE
2013-06-22, 05:35 PM
The crafting rules for d20 normally designate about 8-10 hours per day, allowing for the remainder of the day to rest (and sleep, and eat,etc.) So long as you spend the days consecutively for the 1000 gp per day, you're golden. You can't go adventuring, you can't also work the forge, or do anything else of note other than eating, sleeping, and probably defecating. You know, normal biological needs.

Actually, they're not even that restrictive.
The caster works for 8 hours each day. He cannot rush the process by working longer each day. But the days need not be consecutive, and the caster can use the rest of his time as he sees fit.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-22, 06:07 PM
Thanks guys. Would you say that adding Wild onto a dragonhide fullplate would require the full plate before hand, and then require the 12000gp cost (+9000 for wild +3000 for the full plate) of just the 9 days of work since I have the base item already

Crafting the base item is done by someone with the appropriate Craft Skill first. The act of turning the item magical is performed by someone with the appropriate Item Creation Feat later. The two are completely separate events.