PDA

View Full Version : Persisting Psionic powers?

Yogibear41
2013-06-22, 03:16 PM
I know there is an extend psionics power, but I can't seem to find a persist psionic power, anyknow know if there is one or something I can do to duplicate the effect?

Morcleon
2013-06-22, 03:19 PM
Persist Power was in 3.0, and as it hasn't been updated, can still be used in 3.5 without a problem. It has the same effects as Persist Spell and costs 8 extra PP.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-22, 03:21 PM
I know there is an extend psionics power, but I can't seem to find a persist psionic power, anyknow know if there is one or something I can do to duplicate the effect?

As Morcleon said, the Persist Power feat is RAW legal for 3.5 Psionics and does exactly what you want for 8 extra PP.

Yogibear41
2013-06-22, 03:35 PM
the 8 extra PPs are counted in the limit for maximum number of PPs spent on a spell can only = manifester level right? So to persist a power that cost 1 PP I would need to have a ML of 9 right?

Morcleon
2013-06-22, 03:37 PM
the 8 extra PPs are counted in the limit for maximum number of PPs spent on a spell can only = manifester level right? So to persist a power that cost 1 PP I would need to have a ML of 9 right?

Indeed. This rule applies to all metapsionic feats.

Psyren
2013-06-22, 06:51 PM
As Morcleon said, the Persist Power feat is RAW legal for 3.5 Psionics and does exactly what you want for 8 extra PP.

I'm not sure the 3.0 rule really applies to psionics since the rules were entirely replaced rather than merely updated.

But Persistent Power was updated to 3.5 in Hyperconscious however.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-06-22, 07:23 PM
You can use Overchannel or Wild Surge, Earth Power (RoS), Greater Torc of Power Preservation (XPH version), and Metapower (CP) to either increase your manifester level or reduce the powerpoint cost of the end result.

A 20th level manifester with Overchannel and Metapower can manifest Persistent Timeless Body.

Phelix-Mu
2013-06-22, 07:40 PM
I'm not sure the 3.0 rule really applies to psionics since the rules were entirely replaced rather than merely updated.

But Persistent Power was updated to 3.5 in Hyperconscious however.

+1. Normally I'd accept the retroactive thing, but I think EPH supersedes older versions of the rules for how psionics are handled, as it seems like a primary source. What 3.0 source was Persist Power found in? Cherrypicking compatible stuff from the old psionics handbook only when there's no language conflict seems a bit sketchy.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-22, 07:41 PM
+1. Normally I'd accept the retroactive thing, but I think EPH supersedes older versions of the rules for how psionics are handled. What 3.0 source was Persist Power found in?

Except the XPH doesn't say throw out all of 3.0 Psionics and no 3.5 Persist Power feat was put out to override it.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-22, 07:42 PM
+1. Normally I'd accept the retroactive thing, but I think EPH supersedes older versions of the rules for how psionics are handled. What 3.0 source was Persist Power found in?

Except the XPH doesn't say throw out all of 3.0 Psionics and no 3.5 Persist Power feat was put out to override it.

Nicely done, Tippy. A tip of my hat to you.

Phelix-Mu
2013-06-22, 07:46 PM

Eh, torn. The argument for both sides seems fairly good. DM's call, I guess. Any DM should probably look selectively at 3.0 material for acceptability, in any case.

TO-wise, it does sound kosher.

Psyren
2013-06-22, 07:49 PM

Actually it does:

"Three years of feedback, notes, observations, and new ideas could finally come to light in a completely expanded, revised, and updated version of the Psionics Handbook."

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-22, 07:55 PM
Actually it does:

"Three years of feedback, notes, observations, and new ideas could finally come to light in a completely expanded, revised, and updated version of the Psionics Handbook."

Doesn't say to ignore all of 3.0 psionics though, or throw out the general rule that 3.0 content is allowed in 3.5 unless something specifically overrides it.

olentu
2013-06-22, 07:55 PM
Actually it does:

I think the "Psionics Handbook" bit is the part that needs emphasis. It means that the books are the same book and thus this situation falls under something that has been reprinted. Much like feats, prestige classes, etc. that are reprinted it has generally been taken that sections of the former printing that are not included in the latter are struck from existence.

Psyren
2013-06-22, 07:56 PM
Actually the part I should have emphasized is "completely" - the XPH completely updated the Psionics Handbook, thus there is no part of it that remains unupdated by RAW.

Don't get me wrong, it's a reasonable houserule.

Phelix-Mu
2013-06-22, 08:01 PM
Actually it does:

Yeah, that's what I had intended to get at. Thanks, Psyren. I think that cherry-picking out of the old psionics book for stuff that still works ignores the (as usual) poorly worded thing about primary sources. The new book replaces the old one as the source of rules on how psionics works. I'd consider this a specific exception to the general rule about 3.0 stuff being acceptable, as the old psionics was pretty markedly different.

3.0 psionics from other sources is more debatable.

olentu
2013-06-22, 08:12 PM
Actually the part I should have emphasized is "completely" - the XPH completely updated the Psionics Handbook, thus there is no part of it that remains unupdated by RAW.

Don't get me wrong, it's a reasonable houserule.

Oh, I mistakenly thought you were reading "completely expanded" as a single thing due to the underline. It seemed a slightly strange phrasing, though not the worst I have ever seen someone interpret.

But anyway, yeah pairing completely with updated would seem to work.

Ernir
2013-06-22, 10:53 PM
DM's call, I guess. Any DM should probably look selectively at 3.0 material for acceptability, in any case.

That's the basic rule anyway, right?

This is an upgrade of the d20 System, not a new edition of the game. This revision is compatible with existing products, and these products can be used with the revision with only minor adjustments.

If there's a stronger "grandfather clause" out there, I'd like to see it...

Feint's End
2013-06-23, 03:32 AM
I personally use the Hyperconscious-2 (So +10 pp) version just because Metapsionics use up less powerpoints than the magical variants in general... Persistet Schism at Level 14 (13 or lower with torc) is still powerful.

I strongly recommend though having a Psicrystal with Psicrystal Containment so you can persist as much as you want.

edit: added/changed some parts