PDA

View Full Version : Paladin build... Where to go next...

MindSculptor
2013-06-22, 04:56 PM
So I made a 3.0 paladin and have played him up to level 3 with my group. We have a healer cleric, a couple rogues and a wizard that just joined the group. Anyway, during a side quest our group recently defeated a Necromancer that was wearing an evil necklace. One of the rogues in my group (played by a guy who is very new to DnD and seems to take the "roleplaying" aspect of the game WAY to seriously and seems to believe that the game determines how he roleplays and not himself...) looted the necklace and immediately put it on. The necklace starts speaking him and he starts acting like the necklace is taking control of him instead of just taking it off... This forces me to smite his silly ass. Anyway, I smite him to put him down and be sure of it, not to kill him (I was unable to add my smite damage anyways since he isn't evil) but unfortunately I rolled a perfect 8 and completely killed him. We have just finished raising him from the dead and now I have to atone myself for my deeds to regain my paladin powers...

Here is where I have come to a crossroads: we are on the verge of leveling and I am probably going to do so well before I am fully atoned. Shall I dip another class while I wait for atonement? I think so! But, I am a newbie myself when it comes to DnD... This is my first character past level 2. So... I need suggestions... So far I have WASTED a feat, I fear, because at level 1 I did not realize when I was taking Power attack in preparation for Awesome Smite that the number of 3.0 Paladin Smite Attempts do not scale with levels like the 3.5 Paladin! :O >.< NOOOOO! So now I have taken Power Attack for Human feat, Martial Study: Vanguard Strike (Maneuver), and another wasted feat that does not scale with level: Martial Study: Divine Spirit (Stance) (The one that allows you to heal an ally within 10ft for 2 HP for every successful attack while the stance is active.) Now that I have potentially wasted 2 feats, I don't know what to do to somehow make up for my mistakes and to have fun playing this paladin without feeling like I am raising an ugly child...

Any suggestions? And my DM will not let me change my feats. I wish, but no.

Waker
2013-06-22, 05:08 PM
Two questions for you.
1. Why are you playing 3.0? Is there some issue with book availability?
2. What do you want to do with your character? Any goals or preferred play-style?

Gwendol
2013-06-22, 05:13 PM
Your feats are not bad choices, so don't worry too much. Since you already use tome of battle for feats why don't you take a level or two of crusader? It seems to fit you well

MindSculptor
2013-06-22, 05:15 PM
That's what the DM offered for us to play... He said he didn't have the 3.5 DMbook before we started.

I don't prefer to do the lance and prance style paladin... I'd rather focus on using my spells to buff myself and my party. That's kinda what I was going for with the marital stuff... but I took Divine Spirit over Iron Guard's Glare. I kick myself everyday for it. ...And swing a flail next to my shield.

I have have no limitation to books

Waker
2013-06-22, 05:23 PM
That's what the DM offered for us to play... He said he didn't have the 3.5 DMbook before we started.

I don't prefer to do the lance and prance style paladin... I'd rather focus on using my spells to buff myself and my party. That's kinda what I was going for with the marital stuff... but I took Divine Spirit over Iron Guard's Glare. I kick myself everyday for it. ...And swing a flail next to my shield.

I have have no limitation to books

Wait, why does the DM not having the 3.5 DMG result in you having to use the 3.0 Paladin? It's right here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/paladin.htm).
Anyways, Gwendol does make a good point. You might want to just take more levels of Crusader. It's a solid class that shares much of the same fluff as a paladin.

MindSculptor
2013-06-22, 06:11 PM
Because in the 3.0 world he would have to also alter all of the creatures to 3.5 as well... IDK... I'm a newb... i tried to argue with him to let me use 3.5 but he won't... So I suspect I will have to take extra smiting... Any feats I should look at? I know I'm gonna end up getting Battle Blessing and Divine Shield... Not sure how optimal my Battle Blessing will be with the Paladin's lack of spell strength... HELP! haha

Epinephrine_Syn
2013-06-22, 06:12 PM
"Focus on spells"

The Sorcadin, it calls... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225901)

(Depending on edition, rules, feat availability, casting in armor requiring armor reducing issues, results and pre-thought may vary).

MindSculptor
2013-06-24, 12:56 AM
Sooooo... I have looked at the multiclassing guide and I believe I may not take on anymore Paladin levels since I am at level 3 and I have my Turn Undead attempts... I think I may take a one level dip into Cleric or Cloistered Cleric and then level out in Crusader.... I am the tank of the group...

I don't know, It's so much to think about all at one time... so many options...

MindSculptor
2013-06-24, 01:00 AM
I will say I have chosen Divine Might and Divine Shield as some of my future feats... and I will be pumping Charisma a little... With the extra Turn Undead attempts from the Cleric dip, I think that the Divine feats may prove to be very useful? Although, now that I am probably going to take a route with the Crusader, maybe I should start looking at other feats... IDK...

T.G. Oskar
2013-06-24, 02:10 AM
As far as I recall, uses of Turn Undead from Cleric and Paladin don't stack. You gain only one set of uses (3 + Cha modifier), and you sum the levels of both classes (thus, your turning level would be equal to Cleric levels + Paladin levels -3). Not sure if that changed from 3.0 to 3.5 (or if it's a houserule), but I'd check that out.

If you're gonna take levels in Crusader (and Cleric), might as well dip into Ruby Knight Vindicator. Considering that the multiclass restrictions from Paladin are part of 3.0 (as they're a hold-over of AD&D, where the Paladin simply couldn't be used as part of a dual class, nor had any chance of multiclassing), that means any level you get will bar you from taking more Paladin levels. That said: Ruby Knight Vindicator isn't exclusive to Wee Jas, and if you work it carefully, you can refluff it as your "reward" for atoning, probably removing all the Jasite-specific fluff. RKV allows you to advance both martial maneuvers AND spells, and if you're able to pull it off, you might advance Cleric spells with the levels in the class. Then again, if you're aiming for Battle Blessing, you can instead advance Paladin spells (you'll reach 3rd level, or potentially even 4th level).

Gwendol
2013-06-24, 02:26 AM
I'd look at "From smite to song" to turn smite into Inspire courage, take the divine spirit ACF (dungeonscape) instead of the mount (which you seemingly will have no use for), and then focus on getting your spellcasting going.

Take a look at this guide for inspiration: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29110689

This is a paladin 20 build, but defies the established norm of what a paladin can do. You can also look at making a paladin X/crusader Y/bard 4.

Use your bard spellcasting for inspirational boost and alter self (Tren is a good form for melee).