PDA

View Full Version : Why!

Socratov
2013-06-22, 07:48 PM
so, my pet labrador Bubbles just died and even thoufg I promised myself I wouldn't cry, I just did. I held a respectable wake for my pet (I'm, really drunk at the moment on whisk(e)y, at least a bottle, if not more, shared with my father), I'm surprised I'm still able to handle a keyboard.

All I want to say is, why can't those bloody ****ing pets live longer then bloody 10 years. I mean, my psyche (and by extent my liver) can't handle this.

So before I'll rant. rave and all round go teary eyed I'll go to sleep, hoping for a respectable hangover and mee tyou tomorrow morning sober-ish...

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-22, 07:49 PM
*offers Socratov hugs* <;_;> I know what you mean sir.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-06-22, 08:43 PM
Cats live twenty years.

*cat person*

TaiLiu
2013-06-22, 08:56 PM
:smallfrown: My condolences, Comrade. Rest up and recover soon.

warty goblin
2013-06-22, 10:06 PM
That sucks. I remember when my old dog finally wound himself down. I was away at college, and still wish I could have been with him his last day. He was a good dog, although spectacularly useless for anything but company and a laugh.

factotum
2013-06-23, 01:19 AM
Socratov, sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully, as time passes, you'll remember the ten years of happiness your pooch gave you more than the loss.

Socratov
2013-06-23, 04:31 AM
thanks guys! I feel a lot better now (mentally mainly, I have a hangover reaching epic levels)

Killer Angel
2013-06-23, 11:29 AM
Yeah, it hurts. :smallfrown:
You have my sympathies.

Bhu
2013-06-23, 01:19 PM
*hugs* It always hurts to lose a friend

Philemonite
2013-06-23, 03:32 PM
Hugs.
Drink a lot of water, helps with the hangover.

ForzaFiori
2013-06-24, 05:42 PM
Cats live twenty years.

*cat person*

not always :smallfrown: after about 10/11 they start getting old, and it's not unexpected for them to die somewhere between 10-15. Not to mention their innate curiosity getting the best of them... Of the 6 cats we had in a litter in 2000, 1 is left, 1 died of old age, 1 died by wild animal, one by a car, and 2 just up and left... The one that's left is a very healthy almost 13 yr old cat though, who is being tormented in her golden years by the new kitten we got to keep her company when her sister died last year :smalltongue:

Trixie
2013-06-24, 05:52 PM
*hugs* :smallfrown:

Yeah, lost a few pets myself :(

Pendulous
2013-06-24, 05:55 PM
Get a turtle ("tortoise!"). They'll outlive YOU.

I haven't directly been there (we had to move to an apartment, and nobody was willing to take our dog so we had to just dump him at a pound), but I definitely feel for you.

Socratov
2013-06-25, 05:57 AM
Thanks guys, I feel a lto better now (even though my epic hangover opened me up to my brother's flu :smallmad:)

So, on teh cats issue, we have 2 cats, I'm allergic to one of them (but yay meds!) but they are cool i guess. one cat is like silly putty, you can do jsut about everything with her (even juggle!). the other is more like a garfield, but with belly massages :smalltongue:

Karoht
2013-06-25, 12:15 PM
Larger varieties of Parrot live upwards of 70 years.
They are a LOT of work to raise, but well worth it if you train them well at an early age.

Iliumin
2013-06-25, 03:46 PM
That was extremely coherent for a dead bottle of whiskey.

Socratov
2013-06-26, 03:38 AM
Larger varieties of Parrot live upwards of 70 years.
They are a LOT of work to raise, but well worth it if you train them well at an early age.
gheh, the first thing I would teach it would be swearwords in just about every language :smallamused:

That was extremely coherent for a dead bottle of whiskey.

yeah, retyped a lot and it was only a small bottle of whisky gone empty (though other drams from other bottles followed quickly). It took a lot of effort to get the spelling and such right...

Karoht
2013-06-26, 09:40 AM
gheh, the first thing I would teach it would be swearwords in just about every language :smallamused:Might I recommend an African Grey then? Smart, vocal, social, talky, decently trainable. However if it is your first experience with owning a bird, I recommend a Cockatiel first. They live longer than cats and dogs, they don't talk but you can train them with whistling, and they are much easier to handle than a Large Parrot. If you are serious about it, try a Cockatiel first, then consider something bigger.
Other advantage, Cockatiels make good cage partners for virtually any other birds.

Forrestfire
2013-06-26, 09:49 AM
I'm sorry for your loss :smallfrown: :smallfrown:

Palanan
2013-06-26, 10:10 AM
I'm not at all a dog person, but I can still appreciate how much it hurts. We just lost an elderly cat last year and that was really difficult. (He was a stray we adopted off the street a year or so before, but even so he got to be part of the family.)

As for cat lifespans, our cats have generally lived 17-18 years, and the old stray was possibly 19 or 20 when he died. Even that isn't especially old for cats these days; with a good diet and regular medical care, a cat can live to be 24-25 these days.

Krazzman
2013-06-26, 10:31 AM
Sorry for your loss. I can feel with you. Our dog died when we were in vacation... we came home and our dog didn't waited there for us. That was hard.

WarforgedBard
2013-06-26, 07:44 PM
It is a difficult to easily accept the death/loss of anything or anyone you held close to you. The best advice I can give to you is to simply cherish the joyful moments you experienced with your dog rather than lamenting over his/her unfortunate death. Blessings mate.

Socratov
2013-06-30, 03:44 AM
Thanks everyone for the support, you are wonderful!

Might I recommend an African Grey then? Smart, vocal, social, talky, decently trainable. However if it is your first experience with owning a bird, I recommend a Cockatiel first. They live longer than cats and dogs, they don't talk but you can train them with whistling, and they are much easier to handle than a Large Parrot. If you are serious about it, try a Cockatiel first, then consider something bigger.
Other advantage, Cockatiels make good cage partners for virtually any other birds.

I don't think it would be wise for me to start with birds at the moment, since I a lot between my parents and my studies. Good news, my mom is in the market for another dog (to accompany the 2 I rish Wolfhounds we already have) to fill the gap a bit :smallsmile:

thubby
2013-06-30, 03:57 AM
the only solace i can offer is that i think you can agree your life is better for having known...her?

also, as a bit of advice in general. never say you won't cry. you aren't doing anyone any favors by trying to stop and even succeeding is just hurting yourself.