PDA

View Full Version : Durkon: Going home?

Rover
2013-06-22, 07:49 PM
Going back to Durkon's death, since the prophecy said that he would return to his homeland posthumously do you think that vampire Durkon will be buried in his homeland after his vampire form is vanquished?

What if he is resurrected after his vampire form is vanquished? Since he technically died he could theoretically be sent back home after he is resurrected.

Or in an unlikely scenario could he go to the Dwarven lands while still a vampire?

What are your thoughts?

Kish
2013-06-22, 07:52 PM
I would say it's nearly certain that he'll go to the dwarven lands while still a vampire.

I may or may not, depending on which books you have read, believe this due to having read a book you have not.

Porthos
2013-06-22, 07:54 PM
Going back to Durkon's death, since the prophecy said that he would return to his homeland posthumously do you think that vampire Durkon will be buried in his homeland after his vampire form is vanquished?

What if he is resurrected after his vampire form is vanquished? Since he technically died he could theoretically be sent back home after he is resurrected.

Or in an unlikely scenario could he go to the Dwarves lands while still a vampire?

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that, whatever happens, he will...

oOotPCs Spoiler:

Bring death and destruction for [the Dwarves]*

'us all' being the original phrase

Either he comes home as a vampire, or he comes home with Team Evil and/or Team Tarquin on his heels. Or he comes home as part of Team Tarquin.

Time will tell. But I kinda doubt the dwarves are gonna like what they see.

Gift Jeraff
2013-06-22, 07:56 PM
On the Origin of PCs spoiler:Durkon was prophesied by Odin to bring "death and destruction for [the dwarves]" when next he returns home.
EDIT: Ninja'd.

Porthos
2013-06-22, 07:57 PM
EDIT: Ninja'd.

Nearly word for word in the spoiler box. :smallbiggrin:

Tock Zipporah
2013-06-22, 10:44 PM
Kraagor's Gate is in the mountains far to the north.

Kraagor was a dwarf.

Durkon came form a dwarven city in the mountains far to the north.

Kraagor's gate is likely therefore in the vicinity of Durkon's home. Maybe not right there, but nearby, at least as close to the gate as Tarquin's city in the Empire of Blood was to the Windy Canyon.

Odds are, the next book will bring the story into the dwarven lands, and that's when we'll find out what the prophecy meant.

Bulldog Psion
2013-06-22, 10:46 PM
Well, I have several possible theories, but I wouldn't be surprised if the more genre-savvy dwarves were catching snatches of ominous music on the mountain winds. :smallbiggrin:

The Pilgrim
2013-06-22, 10:53 PM
Yeah, he'll go back home as a Vampire.

factotum
2013-06-23, 01:49 AM
Or in an unlikely scenario could he go to the Dwarven lands while still a vampire?

Why do you think that scenario is unlikely? I reckon it's probably the *most* likely thing that can happen at this point--a vampire is still dead, so it would still be a posthumous return.

Copperdragon
2013-06-23, 02:25 AM
I doubt he is destroyed, carried back him, then resurrected. He's going home as a Vampire.

From the story-perspective he would not have gotten turned if he was destoryed ten panels earlier. That would have been without any consequence for the character and plot.
Why do a character change that is undone before it carries any consequence?
The only reason I can think of where "lose fight to bad guy, vampire, destroy the vampire, resurrect the normal dwarf" would cause change if the step over "vampire" is the reason Thor turns away from Durkon, which means Durkon has to re-define this important aspect of his personality (which is pretty important for him, Durkon is basically only "Loyalty to the Order", "being a friend of Roy", "Drinking Beer", and most importantly "Thor").

I more think they will destroy Malack, Durkon will then be free to re-join the Order (and deal with his new form of life), and then will bring Death and Destruction home (either as domains, or as being a bloocksucker, or as having Xykon following him right away, or all of those combined).

Bustamouse
2013-06-23, 03:00 AM
My theory from the get go follow the prophecy was Durkon coming back to his home as an undead, still didn't see the becoming a vampire thing though.

I have a theory that if (pfffft when) the Oots ends up releasing the Snarl a bunch of prophecies might end up undone. But, bah, that is just wishful thinking Durkon is a vampire and Belkar is going to die, our lives suck.

Kiraxa
2013-06-23, 03:43 AM
The giant has stated that dukula's new domains are death and destruction. Therefore, durkula can fulfill Odin's prophecy and his own just by returning to the dwarven lands as durkula.

Sunken Valley
2013-06-23, 03:46 AM
The giant has stated that dukula's new domains are death and destruction.

Where did he say that?

Kiraxa
2013-06-23, 03:57 AM
Where did he say that?

Can't find it right now, posting from my tablet which is rather... Clumsy for searching with the forum's search function disabled, sorry.

Bulldog Psion
2013-06-23, 11:24 AM
I don't think his domains are necessarily Death and Destruction. I do, however, assume that he is now a cleric of Nergal, who, as Malack puts it, is:

"lion-headed god of Death and Destruction. His fiery rage brings the death of all things."

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html

Kiraxa
2013-06-23, 05:24 PM
Did more digging, and it appears my memory was faulty, The Giant hasn't stated specific new domains. But Death and Destruction domains are possible.

Bulldog Psion
2013-06-23, 08:23 PM
Did more digging, and it appears my memory was faulty, The Giant hasn't stated specific new domains. But Death and Destruction domains are possible.

They certainly seem quite likely, since they match up so well with Nergal's portfolio. Though they haven't been explicitly stated, it's a good guess on your part that they would be chosen. Presumably, time will tell.

factotum
2013-06-24, 02:40 AM
I think it would be a bit of a cop-out for them to come back with Durkon in tow and somebody says, "But what about the death and destruction you were supposed to bring back with you?" and Durkon says, "Those are my Cleric domains now...".

rodneyAnonymous
2013-06-24, 02:45 AM
Why would somebody say that?

Kiraxa
2013-06-24, 04:03 AM
I think it would be a bit of a cop-out for them to come back with Durkon in tow and somebody says, "But what about the death and destruction you were supposed to bring back with you?" and Durkon says, "Those are my Cleric domains now...".

It'd be quite an apropos culmination of that prophecy. First it wasn't from his own god even, and rather than explain the situation to durkon he lied to him directly. So if the end result of the "omg death and destruction" was "oh I switched domains." It'd be quite a "well that was dumb of them" moment, which fits the tone of the comic. Also remember that the printed comics are supposed to be more... bonus material than anything. So a throwaway joke in the main comic fits it quite well as well.

Kish
2013-06-24, 05:55 AM
Also remember that the printed comics are supposed to be more... bonus material than anything.
I advise everyone against remembering this inaccurate telephone-game idea.

What Rich said, is that anything introduced in the printed material that becomes important to the main plot will be summed up in the online material. Like, for example, when Redcloak told Tsukiko what the ritual would do. It would be a serious mistake to read that as, "What the ritual will actually do is unimportant, because it spent years as something only readers of Start of Darkness knew before being introduced in the online comic."

Accurate summation of what Rich said: If you only read the online comic, you will never find yourself going, "Huh, what? I don't understand" due to print-only information. Inaccurate summation of what Rich said: The print-only material is lightweight or lesser than the online material.

Nymrod
2013-06-24, 06:04 AM

Actually the Giant said he is following the MM rule for non-theist cleric vampires. Thus Durkon can have two of the following: Chaos, Destruction, Evil, Trickery. No Death there I'm afraid (I'd go for Destruction and Trickery myself).

Winthur
2013-06-24, 06:05 AM

What are your thoughts?

This is what's going to happen to Durkon and his homeland. (http://youtu.be/m_y4Ao5L6G8?t=31s)

Arrowstorm122
2013-06-24, 06:30 AM

Don't know if it's mentioned, but the letter from the new High Priest that Durkon never got stated that he didn't know the reason Durkon got sent away in the first place.

factotum
2013-06-24, 06:34 AM
Don't know if it's mentioned, but the letter from the new High Priest that Durkon never got stated that he didn't know the reason Durkon got sent away in the first place.

It's possible the high priest of Odin still knows why he was sent away in the first place--plus there was the chap the old High Priest of Thor told the story to.

Arrowstorm122
2013-06-24, 06:41 AM
It's possible the high priest of Odin still knows why he was sent away in the first place--plus there was the chap the old High Priest of Thor told the story to.

I don't think so, because if that was the case, you'd think somebody would talk to the High Priest before he sent the "okay, you can return" letter. He has probably talked to some people asking "why DID we sent Durkon away?" and everybody is like "beats me, let's get him back."

ChristianSt
2013-06-24, 07:38 AM
I don't think so, because if that was the case, you'd think somebody would talk to the High Priest before he sent the "okay, you can return" letter. He has probably talked to some people asking "why DID we sent Durkon away?" and everybody is like "beats me, let's get him back."

We don't know which dwarves (if any) the new High Priest asked about Durkon's mission. Maybe it went like: "There are no records of this (or I can't find one), let him grant his wish to go home!". So it is certainly possible that that guy remembers his talk with the old High Priest, but simple wasn't asked.

And why should the High Priest of Thor ask the High Priest of Odin why one of his clerics is on a mission? (I would assume he doesn't know anything about that and wouldn't bother him and even admit that I have no clue about that misson.)