PDA

View Full Version : A pattern in the destruction of the Gates

Voidhawk
2013-06-22, 09:12 PM
So, I've been thinking about this for a little while, and it seems to me that all of the Gates are being destroyed by "Appropriate Ironic Twists." The fall of each one is at the hands of a corrupted or manipulated version of the the very forces that were originally set to protect them.
Let me run through them one by one to illustrate what I mean:

Durokan's Gate
The wizard Durokan thought the Gates could only be protected successfully by magical might (namely his own), intelligence, and in particular a massive ward that prevented Evil from so much as touching it.

It was destroyed by Elan, a Good Aligned Idiot, triggering one of Durokan's many paranoid magical protections: the arguably redundant self-destruct ward.

Soon's Gate
Soon believed only the honor of a Paladin was truly unbreakable, and constructed a massive fortress city around his gate, staffed by the greatest and most dedicated paladins he could train.

It was destroyed Miko, a fallen member of his own order, whose unbreakable belief in her own destiny against all evidence led her to destroying everything she was sworn to protect.

Lirean's Gate (Start of Darkness)
Lirean trusted to the powerful creatures and natural forces of the wild to protect her Gate. It was supported by treants, surrounded by giant animals of all kinds, and was in the middle of her druid grove: a small elvish tree city.

It was destroyed by the panicked thrashing of the treants that were supporting it, while caught in an out of control forest fire. A forest fire is a natural phenomenon. It could have been put out by co-operation, but the animal guardians instead obeyed their natural instincts to flee or fight. And it needn't have started in the first place if the elves hadn't interfered in the natural cycle by stopping the regular smaller fires that often sweep through forests.

Girard's Gate (Unfinished... so far)
Girard trusted very little. About the only thing he did trust was family, and the only thing he thought was a good defense was trickery. He hid his Gate incredibly thoroughly, and staffed it's protectors with his entire bloodline.

So far, his guardians have been wiped out because of the very fact they were related to him, and hiding the gate has only prevented allies from finding it in time to defend it. Oh yes, and his final layers of protection have been cut through because Elan and Nale are too insane to trick properly, and Roy is too sensible to get bluffed.

So, what do you guys think of this theory? Anything good about it, or entirely WMG? And how do you think Girard's Gate will come to its end?

Porthos
2013-06-22, 09:27 PM
The idea has been brought up from time to time.

As recently as a couple of days ago, as a matter of fact (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285341). :smallwink:

David Argall
2013-06-23, 12:44 AM
It is probably co-incidence. The gates [except possibly the last] are to fail, which means their defenses are flawed. Doesn't matter what they are, they need to fail so the heroes can do their thing. Something is going to take them out.
And since their defenses are such a big part of the scene in the first place, there is going to be a flaw related to those defenses. Paladins are all over Azure City. it would be hard to destroy the gate without involving some sort of flaw in the paladins. Same sort of thing for the other gates.
Then we have the point that this is an adventure tale, of heroic deeds and striving and... It is not a philosophy text designed to drum in some moral lesson. [Wisely so since at least 90% would have lost all interest several hundred pages ago.]

martianmister
2013-06-23, 12:17 PM
"Fall" of Lirian's Gate is happened because of Xykon's killing her, what treants did would be preferable action in her eyes.

murph04
2013-06-23, 08:23 PM
By that logic wouldn't it mean that Kraagor's gate (Being guarded by monsters of every kind) be decimated by the Monster in the Darkness?

Belkar<3
2013-06-23, 08:36 PM
I believe it's just irony. It would be funny if Kraagor's Gate was destroyed by a first-level NPC or a completely drained Con and Str character (Belkar?)

zimmerwald1915
2013-06-23, 09:40 PM
By that logic wouldn't it mean that Kraagor's gate (Being guarded by monsters of every kind) be decimated by the Monster in the Darkness?
Nope. As Roy proves, there is no ironic flaw in the power of physical might.

B. Dandelion
2013-06-24, 01:05 AM
Well, if they're all getting destroyed by their own guardians, (Dorukan's own self-destruct ward, Lirian's treants, and a paladin of Soon's), then the culprit for Girard's Gate getting blown would almost have to be that one last Draketooth mummy that Vaarsuvius left behind in the pit trap.

Porthos
2013-06-24, 01:29 AM
My proposed Ironic Failure of Kraagor's Gate?

I go for a simple angle. The Fatal Flaw behind Kraagor's Gate will be that Serini didn't want to guard the Gate at all. That is, she left behind a bunch of monsters and (supposedly) left it behind. Trusting that Might Will Make Right.

If irony holds, it is her abandonment which will be key. That and her trust in monsters to keep everyone at bay.

I see a 'monster'* (Xykon, Redcloak, Malack, Unknown) coming in and taking over. Or taking control of some of the monsters to get rid of the rest that are running around.

Some variation of that, at least.

* Quotes put around monster quite intentionally. For instance, Redcloak is many things, but he isn't a monster. But traditionally goblins have been viewed as such in D&D Lore from time to time. Hence the irony if he should be one of the ones to cause the defenses to fall.