PDA

View Full Version : Help me create "The Man with the Yellow Hat"

danzibr
2013-06-22, 09:16 PM
My son loves to watch Curious George, so I've been watching a lot of Curious George lately. And if you watch the show you realize... the Man with the Yellow Hat (henceforth referred to as the Man) is a very interesting character.

Here are my thoughts/observations about the Man, some involving game mechanics:

He has a plethora of interests and skills. He plays instruments, can ride a horse well, use a lasso, loves to read, has written (and published) books, can hang glide, is the equivalent of a boyscout leader, bowls, has been to outer space, does art. To me this suggests a class with high skill points.
Likewise he's very knowledgeable. He knows about... well, anything, it seems. To me this suggests a high Int.
He's also physically fit and has only been sick once in any episode. To me this suggests decent physical stats (at least average).
He owns an apartment in New York City, a house in the country outside of NY, multiple cars and doesn't seem to have a serious job. I suspect he's filthy rich. Oh, and he has no problem taking George to Hawaii on a vacation or visiting his relatives in Europe.
He has no known enemies, and seems to be very good at calming people when they should be angry. I think he likely has decent Cha and some ranks in Diplomacy.
Despite displaying great common sense in certain areas, he never learns of his perpetual mistake of leaving George unattended. This could be seen as wishing to give George a certain degree of freedom. I'd guess his Wis is average (balancing out the positive and negative).
Related to the above, he lets George into situations in which any normal person would know a monkey would cause trouble. Not only that, he's been known to drive on the wrong side of the road and go in the out door. I suspect he secretly enjoys sowing disorder and is chaotic. Perhaps chaotic neutral.
He has a great love for George, whatever that would be as a game mechanic. Wild Cohort?
He never punishes George. Ever. Not once. He uses nothing but positive reinforcement. I have no idea what that would be crunch-wise.
He has a strange attachment to his hat and the color yellow. He's even said things like, "Without my yellow hat I'm just not... me." Or something like that. Maybe this would work as some sort of flaw where he gets a penalty when parted from his hat.
Next to nothing is known about his history. He met George in Africa (I think), and before that the only thing I can think of is a flashback with him at his country home, talking to Jumpy Squirrel's grandfather.

With that said I think the Man's stats would be something like:

The Man, level 2 human Aristocrat.
Alignment: CN
Stats (nonelite array): 8 10 11 12 9 13
Feats: Wild Cohort (level 1, but he needs a monkey), ??? (human), ??? (flaw: Yellow hat-dependent)
Skills: some in Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Knowledges, Perform, Ride, ???

Flaw (Yellow hat-dependent): When separated from his yellow hat, the Man suffers a -2 penalty on all Will saves and take foolish risks to retrieve his hat, such as when falling from a cliff, reaching for his hat over possible safety.

(by the way this is a serious thread)

Urpriest
2013-06-22, 09:25 PM
I know it's the default answer for versatile characters, but the first couple lines of your post scream Factotum to me.

Zaq
2013-06-22, 09:26 PM
It's been way too long since I read Curious George (wait, you said "watch," didn't you? Kids these days. . .), so I don't have a ton to add, but I have to say that I love this thread, and your analyses are interesting.

Of course, I can't actually see TMitYH, you know, attacking someone in combat, so my temptation is to stat him as an NPC class. Either Aristocrat, to imply money (like you mentioned), or Expert, for the diverse skill base. So yeah, I can't strongly disagree with your build skeleton there. Maybe Able Learner? Possibly luck feats too, since he's gotta be at least KIND of lucky to clean up all the trouble George gets in.

danzibr
2013-06-22, 09:34 PM
I know it's the default answer for versatile characters, but the first couple lines of your post scream Factotum to me.
I considered Factotum... but an NPC class seems more appropriate. I also considered Aristocrat 1/Expert 1.

It's been way too long since I read Curious George (wait, you said "watch," didn't you? Kids these days. . .), so I don't have a ton to add, but I have to say that I love this thread, and your analyses are interesting.

Of course, I can't actually see TMitYH, you know, attacking someone in combat, so my temptation is to stat him as an NPC class. Either Aristocrat, to imply money (like you mentioned), or Expert, for the diverse skill base. So yeah, I can't strongly disagree with your build skeleton there. Maybe Able Learner? Possibly luck feats too, since he's gotta be at least KIND of lucky to clean up all the trouble George gets in.
I read my son the books too :)

Oooh, luck feats. That's a great, great idea. In so many episodes (and the books too) things just happen to work out exactly, like good coming out of what should have been a disaster. Not always thanks to the Man, but I agree, he does have a certain luck.

rot42
2013-06-23, 09:16 AM
Could the hat be an Item Familiar? A level of Human Paragon could be taken to meet the prerequisite.

Deformity (Madness) would account for both the low wisdom and tendency to take George into totally inappropriate situations, but a [Vile] take on The Man would be an entirely different diversion.

Telonius
2013-06-23, 09:30 AM
I assume he's George's cohort..?

erikun
2013-06-23, 10:39 AM
I might suggest Factotum, partially because of skills and partially because of Cunning Knowledge. With a good INT, you should be able to be decent in nearly all skill checks you make.

Nothing you have mentioned seems to indicate the guy as anything other than CG alignment. He seems to care a lot about George and not have any sort of selfishness. Similarly, it sounds like he'd have a lot WIS score. Not realizing that George will get himself into trouble, and perhaps not noticing the problems beforehand, indicate a lower WIS than average. I don't see anything about him that would indicate a good score.

Wild Cohort could easily model George. Just don't get him killed. :smallwink:

Waker
2013-06-23, 10:56 AM
Factotum is a good choice, but were I to stat the Man, I would go with Wild (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bard) Bard and Half-Elf substitution levels and maybe Bardic Knack. That way he would have an Animal Companion (George), natural rapport with animals (Wild Empathy), he would talk to George using his Soothing Voice when he was upset and issue a Command when George needed to fix something. Otherwise Bard would give him access to all the Knowledge skills as well as a ton of others.

Alternatively, it's not the Man you should worry about, but the Yellow Hat. You see the Yellow Hat is actually the deceased Necromancer Capiocorpus bound to a seemingly innocent hat. When he claims he's not himself without the hat, that's because the effects of his Soul Jar are wearing off.

danzibr
2013-06-23, 12:39 PM
Could the hat be an Item Familiar? A level of Human Paragon could be taken to meet the prerequisite.

Deformity (Madness) would account for both the low wisdom and tendency to take George into totally inappropriate situations, but a [Vile] take on The Man would be an entirely different diversion.
Item Familiar, I like it. It explains his attachment to it. And... that would be a comical feat.

I might suggest Factotum, partially because of skills and partially because of Cunning Knowledge. With a good INT, you should be able to be decent in nearly all skill checks you make.

Nothing you have mentioned seems to indicate the guy as anything other than CG alignment. He seems to care a lot about George and not have any sort of selfishness. Similarly, it sounds like he'd have a lot WIS score. Not realizing that George will get himself into trouble, and perhaps not noticing the problems beforehand, indicate a lower WIS than average. I don't see anything about him that would indicate a good score.

Wild Cohort could easily model George. Just don't get him killed. :smallwink:
Well, at time he displays great wisdom, at other times he doesn't. I think perhaps they'd balance out to average.

As for CN, refer to this:

Despite displaying great common sense in certain areas, he never learns of his perpetual mistake of leaving George unattended. This could be seen as wishing to give George a certain degree of freedom. I'd guess his Wis is average (balancing out the positive and negative).
Related to the above, he lets George into situations in which any normal person would know a monkey would cause trouble. Not only that, he's been known to drive on the wrong side of the road and go in the out door. I suspect he secretly enjoys sowing disorder and is chaotic. Perhaps chaotic neutral.

Factotum is a good choice, but were I to stat the Man, I would go with Wild (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bard) Bard and Half-Elf substitution levels and maybe Bardic Knack. That way he would have an Animal Companion (George), natural rapport with animals (Wild Empathy), he would talk to George using his Soothing Voice when he was upset and issue a Command when George needed to fix something. Otherwise Bard would give him access to all the Knowledge skills as well as a ton of others.

Alternatively, it's not the Man you should worry about, but the Yellow Hat. You see the Yellow Hat is actually the deceased Necromancer Capiocorpus bound to a seemingly innocent hat. When he claims he's not himself without the hat, that's because the effects of his Soul Jar are wearing off.
I like it! Maybe we should have two versions, the more D&D playable version and the regular Joe version. And maybe a third involving the sinister Yellow Hat :P

HalfQuart
2013-06-23, 02:44 PM
He definitely sounds like a Bard to me... maybe with a monkey familiar? Dragon 277 has details for using a monkey as a familiar, although it is 3.0 material.

grarrrg
2013-06-23, 03:04 PM
I assume he's George's cohort..?

Hmmm....I like it, but then that means we need to stat out George as well...

But what class/role would George be?
He's not a caster, and I can't picture him beating people up...
What else could there possibly be?

SKILL MONKEY!

gurgleflep
2013-06-23, 04:12 PM
Hmmm....I like it, but then that means we need to stat out George as well...

But what class/role would George be?
He's not a caster, and I can't picture him beating people up...
What else could there possibly be?

SKILL MONKEY!

Rogue or some other such class maybe? He's always getting into things and is constantly getting in some form of trouble.

Edit: Just saw the secret white text. I agree with it.

NinjaInTheRye
2013-06-23, 06:30 PM
I watch this show a lot with my nephew. I like to imagine that the Man with the Yellow Hat is actually a high level Wizard who has retired after ridding the world of evil (unfortunately his previous familiar died in the final battle) and has given up his spell books, but took on George as his current familiar. He lives off the immense wealth he obtained as an adventurer, though he also enjoys writing and aiding in areas of intellectual study.