PDA

View Full Version : Nullifier Template [3.5, E6] WIP

AugustNights
2013-06-22, 09:37 PM
The Idea
A Template for creatures that have a Null-Magic Field in their space, the creature cannot control this ability. This template is likely not suitable for players, but I would still like an LA for it incase one of my players decides to take it.

This is a rough draft for an E6 campagn I'm writing up, and I'd appreciate help with brainstorming, formatting, and balance. Thanks.

Nullifier Tempalte (Name suggestions welcome)

By some curse of the reaches, where magic obeys not the guile of sorcerers nor laws of wizards, some are born or inflicted with a dreadful state of dead-magic. These arcane pariahs wander through life in the shadows, lest they catch the eye of wary superstition and fearful bigotry.

"Nullifier" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal non-elemental creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

A nullifiers uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type
The creature's size and type are unchanged. The creature loses the following subtypes if they previously had them: air, augmented, chaotic, cold, earth, evil, extraplanar, fire, good, lawful, psionic, shapechanger, or water. A nullifier cannot gain these subtypes through any means.

Abilities
Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +2, Con +2, Dex +2

Special Attacks
A nullifier loses access to all Supernatural, Spell-like, or Psionic-Like special attacks and spells, the nullifier otherwise retains all other special attacks of the base creature.

Special Qualities
A nullifier loses access to all Supernatural, Spell-like, or Psionic-Like special qualities, the nullifier otherwise retains all other special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.

Immunity to Magic
A nulifier is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance, and is likewise immune to any power or psionic-like ability that allows for power resistance.

Damage reduction
A nulifier gains damage reduction equal to half their Hit Dice, this damage reduction is overcome by Cold Iron. Further, a nullifiers natural weapons and unarmed attacks are treated as Cold Iron for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Fast Healing
Nullifiers gain Fast Healing Equal to Half their Hit Dice, minimum 1.

Null Magic Area (Ex)
The space a nullifier occupies, and only the space the nullifier occupies is treated as if under the effects of an Antimagic Field (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/antimagicField.htm). Items (including ammunition and thrown weapons) & Traps that leave a nullifier's space remain suppressed until the beginning of the nullifier's next turn. nullifiers cannot cast spells or use Supernatural, Spell-like, or Psionic-like Abilities.

Challenge Rating
As base creature +2.

Level Adjustment
+1.

Notes

I'm not terribly good at Eyeballing CR/LA, but I figure CR should be higher, as that fighting such a creature would be more difficult for a standard party, where as playing as such a creature would only be beneficial to sub-optimal tactics, such as playing a grapple-focused fighter.
Honestly, I don't really think that this is a viable template for players, but, I like to allow my players to have options, and if one of them wants to play one of these things, then I will allow it, and having an LA would be nice.
The idea is basically that in a rather magical-item dependent world, these characters are feared and considered criminals without evidence of any sort.
P.E.A.C.H.ing welcomed.
(Formatting suggestions also welcomed!)