PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Balance (3.p)

Seatbelt
2013-06-22, 09:52 PM
What does this class ability do, exactly? It seems that with perfect balance it grants you a total reduction of the TWF penalties by 2.

Alternately you can wield a 1-handed weapon in your off hand as a light weapon. But this is exactly the same ability granted by Improved Balance. Is the D20pfsrd just screwed up and this is a typo or something? It seems that Perfect Balance SHOULD let me use the 1-handed melee weapon as a light weapon in my off hand.

CTrees
2013-06-23, 07:09 AM
Link, for those wondering (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/two-weapon-warrior)

Improved Balance
At 11th level, the attack penalties for fighting with two weapons are reduced by –1 for a two-weapon warrior. Alternatively, he may use a one-handed weapon in his off-hand, treating it as if it were a light weapon with the normal light weapon penalties.

Perfect Balance
At 15th level, the penalties for fighting with two weapons are reduced by an additional –1 for a two-weapon warrior. This benefit stacks with improved balance. If he is using a one-handed weapon in his off hand, treating it as a light weapon, he uses the normal light weapon penalties.

The way I read this is, Improved Balance gives you an either/or (see the "alternatively") - you can either have the penalty reduction active, or he can wield a one-handed weapon in his offhand as though it was light. For Perfect Balance, it's not a choice - you get a bigger penalty reduction, and you can wield an one-handed weapon in your offhand, as though it was light.

Seatbelt
2013-06-23, 07:30 AM
Link, for those wondering (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/two-weapon-warrior)

The way I read this is, Improved Balance gives you an either/or (see the "alternatively") - you can either have the penalty reduction active, or he can wield a one-handed weapon in his offhand as though it was light. For Perfect Balance, it's not a choice - you get a bigger penalty reduction, and you can wield an one-handed weapon in your offhand, as though it was light.

Thats how I wanted it to work. But the wording was was confusing me. Thanks. :)

Drelua
2013-06-23, 07:32 AM

I'm confused, how is Perfect Balance any different from Improved Balance? They both use the phrase 'normal light weapon penalties,' so they should be exactly the same as far as using a one-handed weapon in your off-hand goes, right? It seems to me that normal means without these abilities and the two are just redundant. That might not be the intent, and I don't think it's really fair, but the RAW seems pretty clear on that. I mean, they're redundant either way since they both use the same phrase.

CRtwenty
2013-06-23, 07:48 AM
I'm confused, how is Perfect Balance any different from Improved Balance? They both use the phrase 'normal light weapon penalties,' so they should be exactly the same as far as using a one-handed weapon in your off-hand goes, right? It seems to me that normal means without these abilities and the two are just redundant. That might not be the intent, and I don't think it's really fair, but the RAW seems pretty clear on that. I mean, they're redundant either way since they both use the same phrase.

Improved Balance allows you to choose either a -1 penalty reduction for TWF or the ability to use a 1-handed weapon as a light weapon in your off-hand.

Perfect Balance allows you to do both at once, and gives you an additional -1 reduction to your TWF penalty.

Invader
2013-06-23, 07:58 AM
Is this a rule in 3.5 because I'm not familiar with it?

Seatbelt
2013-06-23, 08:32 AM
No it is not.

CRtwenty
2013-06-23, 08:33 AM
Is this a rule in 3.5 because I'm not familiar with it?

Pathfinder unfortunately.

Invader
2013-06-23, 08:42 AM
Pathfinder unfortunately.

The title is misleading, I kept looking for it outside PF and couldn't find it :smallbiggrin:

Drelua
2013-06-23, 09:00 AM
Improved Balance allows you to choose either a -1 penalty reduction for TWF or the ability to use a 1-handed weapon as a light weapon in your off-hand.

Perfect Balance allows you to do both at once, and gives you an additional -1 reduction to your TWF penalty.

Oh wow, I completely missed the lack of the word 'Alternatively.' I'm a moron.:smallredface: