PDA

View Full Version : Easy Divination

Yogibear41
2013-06-22, 10:18 PM
Are their any magic items, or other ways to get free repeatable divinations?

NeoPhoenix0
2013-06-22, 10:26 PM
Do you mean the spell divination or spells from the school of divination?

ArcturusV
2013-06-22, 10:31 PM
Eight Diagram Coins. They give you a 1/day Divination.

Karnith
2013-06-22, 10:31 PM
Are their any magic items, or other ways to get free repeatable divinations?
Planar binding (or gating or whatever) an elemental weird (MMII) gives you a servant with a wide variety of divination effects usable at will as free actions.

avr
2013-06-22, 10:36 PM
A crystal ball is the original magic item which does divination magic. Free and repeatable, even.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-22, 10:46 PM
Planar binding (or gating or whatever) an elemental weird (MMII) gives you a servant with a wide variety of divination effects usable at will as free actions.

Doesn't work.

Either the elemental pool comes with her and disrupts the binding circle, or gives her an instant "out" through the gate at the bottom, or it doesn't and she dies on arrival.

karkus
2013-06-22, 10:48 PM
Do you mean the spell divination or spells from the school of divination?

I'm fairly certain he means this. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Divination_(Spell))

Also, going off of just Core rules, 20,510 gps will get you a 1/day wondrous item (could be a stationary crystal ball, or even a little anklet you just carry around) that will give you Divination with 90% accuracy every time.

Additionally, if you want it to have limitless usages each day, it would be 102,550 gps. Alternatively still, you can lower the success rate to 77% and greatly reduce the price. I wish that I had Excel on this computer so I could make a spreadsheet detailing possible costs... :smallfrown:

Urpriest
2013-06-23, 09:43 AM
Doesn't work.

Either the elemental pool comes with her and disrupts the binding circle, or gives her an instant "out" through the gate at the bottom, or it doesn't and she dies on arrival.

Why would the pool disrupt the circle? It's part of the creature.

ArcturusV
2013-06-23, 12:03 PM
I don't know if that works out Karkus. I mean I'm sure your math is correct, but since they already have an item printed that is 1/day Divination (Or the lesser form which is 1/day Augury) as a Wondrous item, doesn't that supersede the normal math?

As is, if the Specific Example overrides the general math (Which one would hope), you'd save money as the Eight Diagram Coins (Greater for the 1/day Divination) are only 10,800 GP.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-23, 03:16 PM
Why would the pool disrupt the circle? It's part of the creature.

Because it's explicitly dug into the ground where ever it is. Putting a 10ft diameter pool of churning elemental forces under the 10ft diameter ring of powdered silver, whether it's been shaped into a calling diagram or not, leaves the ring of silver that must not be disturbed sitting on a churning pool. It's going to be disturbed. More accurately, it's going to dissapear into the churning elemental chaos pretty much instantly.

There's also the small matter of elemental wierds casting as 18th level sorcerers. If a generous DM decides that the circle of powdered silver can be just wide enough that it rings the pool, you've still got an 18th level sorcerer, with better HD related numbers, ready to start slinging spells at you for your impertenence if she doesn't feel like just diving to the gate at the bottom of the pool and leaving.

karkus
2013-06-23, 09:38 PM
Snippity snap, the quote is back

I wasn't aware of such a wondrous item. If what you say is true, however, then by all means ignore my math (unless the DM says it's okay for whatever reason).

Yogibear41
2013-06-23, 09:46 PM
Eight Diagram Coins. They give you a 1/day Divination.

What book are these in?

ArcturusV
2013-06-23, 09:51 PM
Printed up in Oriental Adventures, page 140. Lesser version is just 1/day Augury, 2,160 gp.

Either way, they're useful enough that I often buy them if I can for a character... well, a character who wouldn't normally have those on their spell list anyway. Free answers come in handy.