PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Deck Advice wanted

IamL
2013-06-22, 10:55 PM
So I know I'm new to competitive Pokemon despite being a fan since the first grade, so there is quite possibly a big hole in this deck I don't see. So please evaluate and critique honestly; I need the advice.

So my deck idea utilizes Cobalion (non-EX) from Noble Victories as the main attacker, with Plazma Storm Klinklang as the benched utility to block damage from EX Pokemon, with Bouffalant (the one with the attack that deals 120 damage to an EX Pokemon, I'm blanking on the set name right now) as a tech against Garbodor/Landorus EX, and, really, Garbodor/any EX decks.
Cobalion EX is there as a tech against the Plasma Freeze Lugia/Thundurus/Tornadus/Deoxys decks to get rid of the plasma energy.
The idea is to get Cobalion out, using Iron Breaker to attack and force the opponent to retreat and move around, wasting energy, until you can get a Klinklang evolved up, which will mark the beginning of a nearly unstoppable tank. Basically, your opponent can't even attack usually due to Iron Breaker, and then can't even deal damage with EX Pokemon, which constitute the attackers in almost every competitive deck, with one notable exception of Garchomp/Altaria.

4x:
Cobalion
Eviolite
Switch
Skyla
3x:
Cobalion EX
Potion
Tool Scrapper
Colress
N
Switch
Pokemon Catcher
2x:
Bouffalant
Klinklang
Klink
Ultra Ball
Plasma Ball
1X:
Scramble Switch
Klang
Escape Rope
10X:
Metal Energy

Major Weaknesses I've noted:
Garbodor: Tech: 3 Tool Scrapper, plus Bouffalant will beat EX Pokemon prize-for prize if he attacks first.
Garchomp/Altaria:
Not sure how to tech against this.
Thundurus/Deoxys/Tornadus/Lugia EX:
Running 3 Cobalion EX to tech against Lugia and buy time to develop Cobalion on the bench and evolve Klink. It won't be my main attacker, just a tech.
Thanks for reading, and please advise.

LansXero
2013-07-08, 06:24 AM
Interesting deck. Why did you list Switch twice though?

IamL
2013-07-12, 10:07 PM
Interesting deck. Why did you list Switch twice though?

'Twas a mistake. I was considering moving it from 4x to 2x, but I forgot to delete one of them. Here's the updated list:

4x:
Cobalion
Rare Candy
Switch
3x:
Pokémon Catcher
Skyla
Cobalion EX
N
Plasma Storm Klinklang
Klink
2x:
Colress
Dusknoir
Duskull
Eviolite
Absol
Ultra Ball
Plasma Ball
Latias EX (tech against Gothitelle-Accelgor)
1X:
Dusklops
Rock Guard
Tropical Beach
Klang
6X:
Metal Energy
4X: Prism Energy
Totals:
10 Energy (on the higher side, but typical)
21 Pokémon (Look up in the stratosphere! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Superman! Wait, no, it's my Pokémon count!)
28 Trainers, of which there are:
8 Supporters
1 Stadium
1 Ace Spec
4 Poké balls
14 others

I decided to add Dusknoir because it makes sense for damage movement; I'l be doing 80 damage a turn, which isn't enough to KO anything, but it will spread damage around, since it forces your opponent to retreat to attack. This is spread damage for Dusknoir to move around gleefully. Only issue is if I start a lone Duskull. I also added Latias EX as an anti-Gothitelle/Accelgor tech, preventing Mew EX from attacking, buying me time to set up. Absol is there in case of Plasma benching 4 Deoxys.

IamL
2013-07-16, 10:27 PM
I edited it some more, adding a 2-1-2 Dusknoir line, dropping 4 Battle City in favor of the one Beach I have, adding Latias EX and Absol as techs, and playing around with the trainer and energy line a bit.
See above post for tonight's edits.

LansXero
2013-07-18, 11:41 AM
The problems Ive noticed with this deck are the slow energy build up (with which bouffalant actually helped) and the weakness to fire built into it. The Absol is a good addition to get more use from the plasma balls, as are the rare candys.

IamL
2013-07-18, 12:07 PM
The problems Ive noticed with this deck are the slow energy build up (with which bouffalant actually helped) and the weakness to fire built into it. The Absol is a good addition to get more use from the plasma balls, as are the rare candys.

Yeah, that is one major weakness: There isn't a form of acceleration for metal. I was considering throwing in some Ether, but it kinda sucks, plus it takes up too much space in my deck. Colress Machine is a bit better in terms of reliability, but I don't want to run Plasma energy. Bouffalant did help, but he usually ended up as dead weight after the first three or four turns, and he took up a little more space than I wanted.
However, once I set up Dusknoir/Klinklang/Cobalion, it's awesome.
Also, I can break a Gothitelle/Accelgor lock if I can set up a Dusknoir, and put out a Latias EX with Rock Guard, I can KO an attacking Accelgor by moving three damage counters onto Accelgor and putting him within reach of Rock Guard's six damage counters, which leaves my opponent only the Mew EX to attack with, which will eventually be countered by Klinklang.

IamL
2013-07-19, 05:59 AM
Well, the format is changing, which means no more Cobalion from Noble Victories. (Unless they reprint it...fingers crossed.)
But I'm looking for a good replacement for it...any ideas?

IamL
2013-07-21, 02:39 PM
Well, the format is changing, which means no more Cobalion from Noble Victories. (Unless they reprint it...fingers crossed.)
But I'm looking for a good replacement for it...any ideas?

Turns out that the Japanese EX Battle Boost has a reprint of Cobalion, so I'm safe. Crossed fingers paid off. :smallbiggrin:

LansXero
2013-07-26, 06:54 AM
Will Battle Boost be printed in English? I thought it wasnt going to be.

Anyways, I want to thank you for posting this list, as it has helped a lot. Im a store owner thats just starting to run Pokemon TCG events, and as such I needed a jump-in point that was quick, cheap and good, so that I could mingle with the players. Ive been tweaking the idea a bit, but without the base you provided it wouldve taken me much longer.

IamL
2013-07-26, 09:52 AM
Will Battle Boost be printed in English? I thought it wasnt going to be.

Anyways, I want to thank you for posting this list, as it has helped a lot. Im a store owner thats just starting to run Pokemon TCG events, and as such I needed a jump-in point that was quick, cheap and good, so that I could mingle with the players. Ive been tweaking the idea a bit, but without the base you provided it wouldve taken me much longer.

Thanks! I'm flattered, actually.
Would you be willing to post some of your tweaks? I'd look forward to seeing them. Part of the reason I made this deck was that it was pretty cheap, and, as a student, I'm not exactly rolling in the dough.

LansXero
2013-07-27, 12:47 AM
Well, I didnt take Tropical Beach or CobalionEX/LatiasEX, as I dont have them. Im running 2x KlingKlang / 2x Duskull and so far doing well. 3x Eviolite and 3x Heavy Ball, using the Klinks with retreat cost 3 lets me search for either klink, klinklang or dusknoir. Kept the Scramble Switch and found it much more useful than Rock Guard, as it allows you to build up an active Coballion to punish energy stacking then switch it for an ex-killing Boufallant. Im also running 4x Double Colorless Energy, as Prism Energy doesnt really do much of anything (Am never charging a Duskull or Klink) and it makes for a quick Gold Breaker. Also upped the energy count to 12 total.