PDA

View Full Version : Homestuck Trolls 3.5 (PEACH)

AuraTwilight
2013-06-23, 12:05 AM
This is my first homebrew, despite having played since the early 2000's. Also, English is my third language. With both of those in mind, please give your honest criticisms and advice, but be kind!

http://i39.tinypic.com/34eqgcg.jpg

Trolls

Alternian Trolls (Land):
The brutal trolls of the Empire of Alternia are most well known for their military might, strict blood caste system, and prosperity. Trolls are raised from their earliest wriggling days with the idea of natural selection. First, they have to prove themselves to a lusus (the natural Fauna of their Prime world), who would act as their parent, and they must pass a set of trials in order to live. The Land Trolls make up the lower 80% of the blood caste, featuring a varied and diverse set of talents and abilities while still being universally lower than the Sea Dwellers.

Personality: Hateful, mean spirited, manipulative, cold. All of these things sum up Trolls to the outside world. Trolls have two main emotions: pity and hate. The primary goal of every troll is the betterment of themselves above all else, and they are often ready and willing to use and abuse others to achieve this goal. That being said, some trolls do seem to follow their own personal code of honor when it comes to how they interact with others, and while they do not truly make friends, it is possible for others to earn their respect. Some trolls have a strong sense of justice, if a bit brutal, especially those who wish to join the ranks of the Legislacerators or Threshecutioners. There are also “mutant” trolls who seem to have an overabundance of pity which can make them almost nice to others. They usually die before adulthood.

Incidentally, the subject of Troll Romance and Reproduction is a topic of fascinating anthropological study, but I shall leave that up to you to pursue the Tome of Incestuous Slurry.

Physical Description: Trolls bear a very strong physical resemblance to humans, with a couple key differences. They stand at about the same height (5 feet to a little over 6) and have about the same weight range (110 pounds to 300, depending on their strength), with males being heavier set than woman. However, they have yellow eyes with black pupils and coloration, gray skin, black hair, and varied horns that are referred by humans as being “candy corn horns”. They are clean shaven, and often sport a wide variety of hairstyles. They often are seen wearing black or dark clothes with no stylization to them, although a few trolls have taken cues from other societies and have attempted to popularize this thing known as fashion. Most trolls are nocturnal, however there are occasional instances of trolls who can bear the sun.

Relations: Relations between Trolls and other races is limited, and only sought when they will get something out of it. This is cultural rather than racial, however, and it isn't uncommon for young trolls to never pick up this tendency, or to overcome it, if they make social contact with other races prior to adulthood.

Alignment: While most other societies view trolls as being cruel and evil to some regard, they are just as prone to being good as evil. They tend to be more chaotic due to their brutal heritage, however.

Troll Lands: The Trolls have established a far-reaching empire throughout the planes; their homeworld is a Prime world called Alternia, but their race is so spread out among conquered territories that Alternia is almost exclusively a nest for wrigglers.

Language: Trolls speak Alternian. Alternian literature majorly features their vast history of conquest over many planes, although there are rare instances of fiction written. The most infamous is a set of novels about rainbow drinkers and shadow droppers and forbidden passions.
When it comes to spoken Alternian, each troll seems to have their own unique accent or take on the Alternian language, making it very difficult, although not impossible to teach to outsiders. This habit or accent is referred to as their “quirk”. This has the result of making each troll unique and memorable in their own way. When dealing with especially serious situations, however, they will drop their quirk in order to make sure their point is gotten. This can be seen in tense negotiations, during times of hardship, or, rarely, in bartering.

Adventurers: Troll Adventurers can be motivated by many things: the wish to make themselves stronger, a lust for wealth to better themselves, obtaining the respect of other trolls, or even just seeking the thrill from battle. Whatever the reason, Troll adventurers a force to be reckoned with.

Racial Traits:

Monstrous Humanoid (Psionic)

+2 to any ability score of the player's choice, but they must also take -2 to any ability score of the player's choice.

Medium: As Medium creatures, Trolls have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Troll base land speed is 30 feet.

Low-light Vision (Ex): Trolls can see in the dark as if it was daylight. They can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and in similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions. This replaces the 60 ft. Darkvision associated with being Monstrous Humanoids.

Light Sensitivity (Ex): Trolls are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.

Trolls are incredibly resistant to damage and abuse. As such, they gain Endurance at 4th level as a bonus feat, and Diehard at 8th level as a bonus feat, even if they do not meet the prerequisites.

Hemospectrum (Ex): All Trolls possess a different color, as according to their genetic structure. Landdwellers may choose from: Burgundy, Bronze, Ochre, Olive, Jade, Teal, Cerulean, Indigo, and Purple. Red and Lime are also possible, although incredibly rare. The former being a mutation, the latter being...purged from the gene pool.

Automatic Languages: Common and Alternian. A Troll will often know a wide variety of languages that both their enemies and allies use in order to put them in the best possible situation.

Alternian Trolls (Sea Dwellers):
Making the upper 20% of Troll society, Sea Dwellers server as the natural leaders of the Empire of Alternia. They are perched on the top of the blood caste with no intention of letting their leadership slip. They are often the most brutal, calculating, manipulative, and cruel of all the trolls, although there are a few noticeable exceptions. For the sake of preventing redundancy, their personality, physical description, relations, and lands are exactly the same as land based Trolls, though seadwellers do have minor trails such as gills to signify their amphibious natures.

Alignment: Due to their very nature, most high blood trolls tend towards the lawful evil, allowing them to secure their positions by any means necessary and forward their power while still maintaining control and order over Alternia. As stated before, however, there are famous exceptions to the rule.

Language: Sea Dwellers speak Alternian, just as their land counterparts. However, on top of their unique quirk, Sea Dwellers also possess an added quirk of “glubbing”. This glubbing is often ignored by others, in fear of them taking offense to comments to their speech impediment and attempting to cull them.

Adventurers: Sea Dweller adventurers are incredibly rare, as most Sea Dwellers prefer to let others do their dirty work for them. However, with the discovery that high bloods can be potent wizards and sorcerers, some have set out in the search of knowledge and power unique among trolls.

Racial Traits:

Monstrous Humanoid (Aquatic, Psionic)

+2 to any ability score of the player's choice, but they must also take -2 to any ability score of the player's choice.

Medium: As Medium creatures, Sea Dwellers have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Sea Dweller base land speed is 20 feet (40 feet in water).

Low-light Vision (Ex): Trolls can see in the dark as if it was daylight. They can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and in similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions. This replaces the 60 ft. Darkvision associated with being Monstrous Humanoids.

Light Sensitivity (Ex): Trolls are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.

+2 racial bonus to Knowledge Royalty and Nobility checks.

Hemospectrum (Ex): All Trolls possess a different color, as according to their genetic structure. Seadwellers may choose from: Violet and Fuschia.

Automatic Languages: Common and Alternian. A Troll will often know a wide variety of languages that both their enemies and allies use in order to put them in the best possible situation.

AuraTwilight
2013-06-23, 12:06 AM
HEMOSPECTRUM OPTIONS:

Red trolls have the most in common with typical humanoids; they bleed the same, afterall. They gain a +1 skill points per level (+4 points at 1st level) as a human does. LA +0.

Burgundy trolls have the strongest capacity for psychic ability, while also possessing the strongest vulnerability to it. A burgundy troll has a 3rd-level psionic power of the player's choice (or two 2nd-level powers, or three 1st-level powers) as a Psi-like Ability 3/day with Manifester Level equal to HD, but take a -6 penalty on saves against mind-affecting effects. LA +0.

Bronze trolls have the next-strongest capacity for psychic ability, while also possessing the next-strongest vulnerability to it. A bronze troll has a 2nd-level psionic power (or two 1st-level powers) of the player's choice as a Psi-like Ability 3/day with Manifester Level equal to HD, but take a -4 penalty on saves against mind-affecting effects. LA +0.

Ochre trolls have the third-strongest capacity for psychic ability, while also possessing the third-strongest vulnerability to it. An orchre troll has a 1st-level psionic power of the player's choice as a Psi-like Ability 3/day with Manifester Level equal to HD, but take a -2 penalty on saves against mind-affecting effects. LA +0.

Lime trolls have psychic ability far exceeding any other troll, just outright having the Phrenic template applied, with the caveats of bypassing all prerequisites, and restrictions, for and from having it. Their 1/day powers are also bumped to 3/day. They have white hair instead of black. LA +3.

Olive trolls are the first of the less-psionic, noble-blooded trolls. They gain a +2 racial bonus on saves against mind-affecting effects. They can Spider Climb at-will as the spell, but this is an Extraordinary ability. LA +0.

Jade trolls, almost-exclusively female, continue the trend of psionic resistance, possessing +4 racial bonus on saves against mind-affecting effects and a +4 racial bonus to both Heal and Spot checks. They are also do not possess the aversion to light most trolls have. However, they have the capability of evolving as Rainbow Drinkers. Rainbow Drinkers can illuminate their skin, creating a Light effect at-will as the spell (though is an Extraordinary ability), and can use Blood Drain as the vampire's ability. LA+0, LA +1 if they awaken as a Blood Drinker.

Teal trolls possess a +6 racial bonus on saves against mind-affecting effects. They possess the Scent extraordinary ability, and a +4 racial bonus to Sense Motive, due to cultural upbringing. LA +0

Cerulean trolls possess a +8 racial bonus on saves against mind-affecting effects, and a +4 racial bonus on both Gather Information and Intimidate checks. They have the rare chance of possessing psychic power (select one ability from the Seer or Telepath disciplines up to 4th level) usable 3/day, with the stipulation that they possess a -4 penalty on attempts to effect non-troll minds, if they take a coercive power such as Dominate. LA +2 if they have the psionic mutation, LA +1 if not.

Indigo trolls possess a +10 racial bonus on saves against mind-affecting effects, and possess proficiency with one exotic weapon of their choice. LA +1.

Purple trolls possess immunity to mind-affecting effects, and possess Hypnotism as the spell (minus the HD limit) as a Psi-like ability 3/day, with the stipulation that lower-blooded trolls (with the exceptions of Reds and Limes) take a -4 penalty on saves against it. LA +2.

Violet trolls possess Power Resistance equal to 10 + Hit Dice and immunity to mind-affecting effects. They are pretty much the standard sea dweller noble, possessing LA +2.

Fuchsia trolls are the rarest of the rare, and for good reason; exclusively female, these trolls are destined to be sovereign over the entire troll race. Usually only one fuchsia ever exists, and when another is born, the heiress signifies the end of a rule, giving the current Empress a geas-like genetic instinct to kill her heiress. This rarely succeeds, as the Fuschiabloods have two special traits going for one. One, they possess utter immunity to all psionics and mind-affecting effects, save for one exception. That exception is a psychic link to Gl'bgolyb, a colossal Abberation that protects the new Empress, which possessing a psychic link to all Fuchsiabloods as long as they are on the same plane. Should it not be fed properly, or if its current Empress is killed without having a younger substitute, it releases the Vast Glub.

The Vast Glub will psychically kill all trolls on the plane, scaling upwards from the bottom of the Hemospectrum, until only any remaining Fuchiabloods remain. The Empress rules all of Troll kind, but she has the duty of preserving their entire race. Due to both this responsibility, rarity, and assets, Fuchsiabloods aren't really suitable for play. But I suppose if one's GM allows it, LA +4 or more would be appropriate.

AuraTwilight
2013-06-23, 12:52 AM
VITAL STATISTICS

Table: Troll Random Starting Ages

Adulthood
Simple
Moderate
Complex

+1d4
+1d6
+1d12

Table: Troll Aging Effects By Caste

Blood Color
Middle Age
Old
Venerable
Maximum Age

Red
35 years
53 years
70 years
+2d10 years

Burgundy
30 years
45 years
60 years
+1d10 years

Bronze
35 years
53 years
70 years
+2d10 years

Gold
50 years
75 years
100 years
+3d10 years

Lime
70 years
105 years
140 years
+3d12 years

Olive
100 years
150 years
200 years
+3d20 years

Jade
125 years
188 years
250 years
+4d20 years

Teal
150 years
225 years
300 years
+1d% years

Cerulean
200 years
300 years
400 years
+2d% years

Indigo
250 years
325 years
500 years
+3d% years

Purple
300 years
450 years
600 years
+4d% years

Violet
500 years
750 years
1000 years
+5d% years

Fuschia
500 years
1000 years
1500 years
Indefinite

1. At middle age, −1 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.
2. At old age, −2 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.
3. At venerable age, −3 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.

Table: Troll Random Height and Weight

Height Modifier
Base Weight
Weight Modifier

Male
4'10"
+2d10
105 lb.
x (2d4) lb.

Female
4'10"
+2d10
100 lb.
x (2d4) lb.

AuraTwilight
2013-06-23, 12:54 AM
Thread is now open! Get PEACHing, please!

Lord Raziere
2013-06-23, 01:15 AM
Well I personally think the "hate/pity" emotion thing is kind of unreliable information about trolls? it came from Karkat, who is kind of pessimistic and cynical about things in general, and it wouldn't surprise me if his view of things colored his assessment of such things.
meanwhile we have clearly seen trolls exhibit a full range of emotion.

also do you mean a +2 to only one stat and -2 to two? :\ I wouldn't really want to play a troll if that is true. it just doesn't seem like a good gain for the cost.

especially considering how the bloods modify things even further….I've heard LA isn't a good thing….

I'm not an expert on the system, but I'm just saying as person who likes trolls and would to play one (since I'm a fan of homestuck), that these aren't really things that make me want to play your kind of troll.

AuraTwilight
2013-06-23, 01:23 AM
Well I personally think the "hate/pity" emotion thing is kind of unreliable information about trolls? it came from Karkat, who is kind of pessimistic and cynical about things in general, and it wouldn't surprise me if his view of things colored his assessment of such things.
meanwhile we have clearly seen trolls exhibit a full range of emotion.

Bear in mind that the "Personality" aspect of Racial writeups is generally cultural, not genetic. Of course trolls can feel the full range of emotion, but that's not how their culture raises them to behave.

also do you mean a +2 to only one stat and -2 to two? :\ I wouldn't really want to play a troll if that is true. it just doesn't seem like a good gain for the cost.

When you consider they get bonus feats, I figured it was a fair trade off. I'm willing to change this though.

especially considering how the bloods modify things even further….I've heard LA isn't a good thing….

If you look closely, much of the LA-raising traits are optional, such as the Cerulean-bloods having the rare capacity to evolve psychic powers even though they're nobleblooded.

In any case, some of the blood colors sort of require something like Level Adjustment if only because they are strictly and objectively better than their counterparts lower on the caste.

I'm not an expert on the system, but I'm just saying as person who likes trolls and would to play one (since I'm a fan of homestuck), that these aren't really things that make me want to play your kind of troll.

I'm open to suggestions for changes, if you've got any.

Debihuman
2013-06-23, 03:56 AM
The sentence regarding the Troll's racial traits can be read in two different ways. Do players pick one +2 among all the choices (strength, dexterity, constitution, or intelligence) or is it +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity and Player's choice between Constitution or Intelligence? I couldn't tell which was correct.

Rather than giving the Seadweller trolls a +12 bonus to Swim checks, why not give them a swim speed equal to their land speed? That gives them a +8 racial bonus to swim checks instead and is a bit more standard.

I prefer "ochre" trolls to "gold" trolls. It distinguishes them from gold elves. Why "candy red" instead of "red"? My first thought was "Sissy trolls!" and that probably wasn't your intent.

Debby

AuraTwilight
2013-06-23, 04:23 AM
The sentence regarding the Troll's racial traits can be read in two different ways. Do players pick one +2 among all the choices (strength, dexterity, constitution, or intelligence) or is it +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity and Player's choice between Constitution or Intelligence? I couldn't tell which was correct.

You're supposed to choose +2 to one of the four abilities. I can try to clarify the language.

Rather than giving the Seadweller trolls a +12 bonus to Swim checks, why not give them a swim speed equal to their land speed? That gives them a +8 racial bonus to swim checks instead and is a bit more standard.

Consider it done.

I prefer "ochre" trolls to "gold" trolls. It distinguishes them from gold elves. Why "candy red" instead of "red"? My first thought was "Sissy trolls!" and that probably wasn't your intent.

I originally had it as Ochre before posting, but almost everyone I had proofread said that gold was more frequently-used and less obscure. Ditto for Candy Red; just red seems to be interchangeable with "Burgundy". Bright Red, maybe? Or just Red? This is one of the things I have trouble with, mechanics-proofreading aside.

I'll take your suggestions and edit them in however.

Ezra_The_Mad
2013-06-23, 10:05 AM
First of all, I love this. The hemospectrum is well done, and it makes me want to play a Troll campaign.

Secondly, the designation of Candy Red for Karkat's blood color is actually canonically correct.

Now for nitpicking.

-I'm not really sure where the inspiration for the Purple-bloods racial ability came from. I would have imagined it as some kind of rage-esque thing. Can you explain?

-Why do Fuschiabloods have such a high LA? Granted, if you're playing with full transparency or in a psionics campaign, immunity to all psionics is fairly powerful, but the Half-Golem template grants immunity to magic for much less. The link to Gl'byglob (probably misspelled that) seems to be more of a fluff thing or a campaign hook. The only other thing at all that I can think of with such a high LA is the Vampire template, and you get loads of stuff from that.

-Giving Limebloods the Phrenic template means that they can't be any kind of manifester if they so choose. Most DMs would handwave this, but it's there. Also, Limebloods actually can't even qualify for that template. You can only take it if you don't already have the Psionic subtype.

AuraTwilight
2013-06-23, 02:50 PM
-I'm not really sure where the inspiration for the Purple-bloods racial ability came from. I would have imagined it as some kind of rage-esque thing. Can you explain?

I read on the MSPA wiki that Hussie made a statement that Purplebloods are genetically disposed towards possessing "Chucklevoodoos", or the psionic ability to control lesser-blooded trolls for the sake of social order.

Rage would be more an aspect of Gamzee's classpect rather than anything from his blood color, I'd think.

-Why do Fuschiabloods have such a high LA? Granted, if you're playing with full transparency or in a psionics campaign, immunity to all psionics is fairly powerful, but the Half-Golem template grants immunity to magic for much less. The link to Gl'byglob (probably misspelled that) seems to be more of a fluff thing or a campaign hook. The only other thing at all that I can think of with such a high LA is the Vampire template, and you get loads of stuff from that.

Honestly, part of it was also considering that you're pretty much an empress of an entire species, but you're right. I basically just slapped a random number without thinking. What would you recommend as a replacement?

-Giving Limebloods the Phrenic template means that they can't be any kind of manifester if they so choose. Most DMs would handwave this, but it's there. Also, Limebloods actually can't even qualify for that template. You can only take it if you don't already have the Psionic subtype.

Didn't know all that. What would you suggest, then? It was basically a stopgap solution because Limebloods have never appeared, ever. If they end up being the most powerful type of troll, that's entirely part of the design goal, since they're Mary Sues on a genetic level.

Ezra_The_Mad
2013-06-23, 05:15 PM
I read on the MSPA wiki that Hussie made a statement that Purplebloods are genetically disposed towards possessing "Chucklevoodoos", or the psionic ability to control lesser-blooded trolls for the sake of social order.

Rage would be more an aspect of Gamzee's classpect rather than anything from his blood color, I'd think.

Honestly, part of it was also considering that you're pretty much an empress of an entire species, but you're right. I basically just slapped a random number without thinking. What would you recommend as a replacement?

Didn't know all that. What would you suggest, then? It was basically a stopgap solution because Limebloods have never appeared, ever. If they end up being the most powerful type of troll, that's entirely part of the design goal, since they're Mary Sues on a genetic level.

In order, because multiquoting is beyond me-

-Good point. It makes sense after reading the article in question, but I still feel like it's stepping on the bluebloods thing a bit.

-I didn't consider the social aspects of it, actually. Hmm. It would probably be worth +8 LA if Gl'boglyb was actually a Colossal Aberration that followed you around and was basically an animal companion and you got some kind of colossal social bonus with other trolls and the immunity to psionics/magic. Too much?

-Having the Limebloods be a specific exception to the Phrenic template might work, but that's worth at least +3 LA. Possibly they get extra uses of the psi-likes granted by that template.

Also, if you're interested in staying really, really faithful to the setting, Gl'boygb should probably have some kind of connection to a Far Realms type thing.

AuraTwilight
2013-06-23, 05:26 PM
-Good point. It makes sense after reading the article in question, but I still feel like it's stepping on the bluebloods thing a bit.

That is a good point, though I felt it was balanced by Ceruleans not only being fairly rare as psychics, but also having the possibility to develop other powers. I'm not sure what to do about it, though.

-I didn't consider the social aspects of it, actually. Hmm. It would probably be worth +8 LA if Gl'boglyb was actually a Colossal Aberration that followed you around and was basically an animal companion and you got some kind of colossal social bonus with other trolls and the immunity to psionics/magic. Too much?

Well, Gl'boglyb isn't exactly portable, but Fuchsiabloods ARE obligated to feed him. How would you approach the "social bonus to every other trolls ever" issue? Giving a flat bonus like +5 or something doesn't seem quite right.

-Having the Limebloods be a specific exception to the Phrenic template might work, but that's worth at least +3 LA. Possibly they get extra uses of the psi-likes granted by that template.

That might work. I might just bump all their 1/days to 3/days and give them a +3 LA.

Also, if you're interested in staying really, really faithful to the setting, Gl'boygb should probably have some kind of connection to a Far Realms type thing.

I'll add it in as a setting detail, but I'm not really interested in statting out Lusii. Not individually atleast; might be better to make a Lusus template.

Debihuman
2013-06-23, 06:23 PM
Having a swim speed automatically grants them a +8 racial bonus; you don't need to add it (see Aquatic Elf traits) Giving them another racial bonus to swim would mean that they have a +16 racial bonus to Swim check (8 from their swim speed and another 8 from the racial traits in the list).

Any creature can drown in the right environment. You mean they can't drown in water (unless the water doesn't contain any oxygen either -- a hazard in some underwater campaigns). Generally a creature that breathes both air and water would have [Edited to reflect that they have gills]

Also, Monstrous Humanoids should have darkvision 60 feet not low-light vision. Does the troll's low-light vision replace the normal darkvision? See Monstrous Humanoid Traits. [[Edited to reflect this being the case]

What kind of ability is hemospectrum? I'm leaning toward Su [Edited to Extraordinary as requested]

Sea Dweller Troll Racial Traits:

Monstrous Humanoid (Amphibious, Psionic).

Amphibious Subtype. A sea dweller troll has gills and can breath underwater just as well as on land.

+2 to one of the following: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, or Intelligence (Player's Choice), -2 Wisdom. Sea dweller trolls are much more sociable than their low blood counterparts, but are still not as clever as other races.

Medium: As Medium creatures, sea dweller trolls have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Sea dweller trolls have a base land speed of 20 feet and a swim speed of 40 feet.

Low-light vision (Ex): Trolls can see in the dark as if it was daylight. They can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and in similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions. This replaces the darkvision 60 ft. that is common to Monstrous Humanoids.

Hemospectrum (Ex): All trolls possess a different color, as according to their genetic structure. Sea dweller trolls may choose from: Violet and Fuchsia.

+2 racial bonus to Knowledge (nobility and royalty) checks.

Automatic Languages: Common and Alternian. A troll will often know a wide variety of languages that both their enemies and allies use in order to put them in the best possible situation.

Debby

Edited today today to change Hemospectrum to an Ex ability from Su and to clarify that trolls have gills in the racial traits, etc.

AuraTwilight
2013-06-23, 07:43 PM
Having a swim speed automatically grants them a +8 racial bonus; you don't need to add it (see Aquatic Elf traits) Giving them another racial bonus to swim would mean that they have a +16 racial bonus to Swim check (8 from their swim speed and another 8 from the racial racial traits in the list).

Duly noted.

Any creature can drown in the right environment. You mean they can't drown in water (unless the water doesn't contain any oxygen either -- a hazard in some underwater campaigns). Generally a creature that breathes both air and water would have the Amphibious Subtype. How do they breathe water? Do they have gills?

They indeed have gills. I'll specify this, thanks.

Also, Monstrous Humanoids should have darkvision 60 feet not low-light vision. Does the troll's low-light vision replace the normal darkvision? See Monstrous Humanoid Traits.

It replaces Darkvision. I should've noted that, but I thought the Low-light vision's inclusion made the point. I went with Monstrous Humanoid, since their similarities to things like humans and elves is fairly superficial given their life-cycle and physiology. They're closer to Abberations, but I didn't think it made sense to think of them as such, since they're still relatable to humanoid races.

What kind of ability is hemospectrum? I'm leaning toward Su.

I would lean towards Extraordinary. While a blood color might grant psionic abilities, these abilities are what would be suppressed in an Antipsionic/antimagic field/whatever. The Scent ability of a Teal troll isn't Supernatural, nor is the ability of mutant Jadebloods to glow or drink blood; these effects are explicitly non-supernatural.

AuraTwilight
2013-06-25, 02:15 PM
Changed the racial ability modifiers after giving it some thought. Tell me what you think.

Agent 451
2013-06-25, 09:48 PM
Just a question, but if Burgundy/Bronze/Ochre Trolls are supposed to be the most psionically powerful, why do they take a -6/-4/-2 to saves vs psionics? Wouldn't it make more sense to have them vulnerable to arcane/divine spells than to something that they are inherently good at?

AuraTwilight
2013-06-25, 09:59 PM
It's to reflect the fluff of the species; The more powerful a Troll is, the more susceptible they are to psychic effects. This causes the hive-structure caste system where the highbloods can strictly enforce their rule, and makes the lower castes die first from the hypothetical "Vast Glub" apocalypse scenario.

Pokonic
2013-06-26, 12:12 PM
Just a question, but if Burgundy/Bronze/Ochre Trolls are supposed to be the most psionically powerful, why do they take a -6/-4/-2 to saves vs psionics? Wouldn't it make more sense to have them vulnerable to arcane/divine spells than to something that they are inherently good at?

This has already been responded too, but I will clarify: basically, low-bloods have increased psionic sensitivity, which means that, while the low bloods indeed have increasingly potent powers as there blood is more warmer-colored, they are also more vulnerable to psionic assults (like from Purpleblooded Chucklevoodoos). There brain's are more sensitive to psionic assaults in general, which is why a ocher troll could take down a burgundy easier than vis-versa , assuming each are using psionic classes.

On that note, I really want to play a purpleblood dual-wielding ranger right now.

Agent 451
2013-06-27, 06:06 PM
-snip-

Ah, I see, thanks! I didn't realize that these were from anything, but it seems like quite a neat setup!

Randomguy
2013-06-27, 07:04 PM
Awesome work, but I think that the resistance/weakness/immunity to psionics might be more accurately shown as a resistance/weakness/immunity to mind affecting. After all, the canon psionic trolls could throw around the highbloods telepathically just as easily as anyone else, it was just the mind control that was easier/more difficult.

Also, have you considered making it so that Cerulean blooded trolls have an option with less LA and no psionic powers (but maybe a bonus somewhere else) and a version that has higher LA and an at will power? Something similar to the Pixie (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/sprite.htm#pixie): The ones that can use irresistable dance have a higher LA than the ones that can't.

For the purple blooded trolls, I think that their "Chucklevoodoos" are much more subtle than dominate is. It might be more accurate to use something like hypnotism but without the HD limit, or Mark of Justice.

And lastly a small nitpick: It's not red-blooded trolls that can recall past instances of the universe, it's more specifically Seers.

AuraTwilight
2013-06-27, 08:50 PM
Awesome work, but I think that the resistance/weakness/immunity to psionics might be more accurately shown as a resistance/weakness/immunity to mind affecting. After all, the canon psionic trolls could throw around the highbloods telepathically just as easily as anyone else, it was just the mind control that was easier/more difficult.

*facepalm* That's perfect, thank you! How'd I not pick up on that?

Also, have you considered making it so that Cerulean blooded trolls have an option with less LA and no psionic powers (but maybe a bonus somewhere else) and a version that has higher LA and an at will power? Something similar to the Pixie: The ones that can use irresistable dance have a higher LA than the ones that can't.

Hm, I thought I did that:

"
Cerulean trolls possess Power Resistance equal to 4 + Hit Dice at LA +0. They have the rare chance of possessing psychic power (select one ability from the Seer or Telepath disciplines up to 4th level), with the stipulation that they possess a -4 penalty on attempts to effect non-troll minds, if they take a coercive power such as Dominate. LA +1."

There's the +0 LA version and the LA+1 version. Though I admit the +0 version should probably have something to them besides Power Resistance. I'm not sure what, though. Any ideas?

For the purple blooded trolls, I think that their "Chucklevoodoos" are much more subtle than dominate is. It might be more accurate to use something like hypnotism but without the HD limit, or Mark of Justice.

I like the Hypnosis idea. I'll go with that.

And lastly a small nitpick: It's not red-blooded trolls that can recall past instances of the universe, it's more specifically Seers.

Doc Scratch speculates it's specifically a result of the Signless' mutant blood that allowed him to remember his previous existence, and Aranea points out that neither Blood player ever manifested the supernatural abilities of the Blood aspect in either of their lifetimes at the time of Openbound Pt 2.

That being said, I'm willing to change it, but I'd want to give them something to make up for it so there's a reason to play them. Any ideas?

Randomguy
2013-06-27, 10:39 PM
I think you forgot to take out the "power resistance" part from the violet and fuchia troll section when you made the edit to change "power resistance" to "resistance to mind affecting".

Hm, I thought I did that:

"
Cerulean trolls possess Power Resistance equal to 4 + Hit Dice at LA +0. They have the rare chance of possessing psychic power (select one ability from the Seer or Telepath disciplines up to 4th level), with the stipulation that they possess a -4 penalty on attempts to effect non-troll minds, if they take a coercive power such as Dominate. LA +1."

There's the +0 LA version and the LA+1 version. Though I admit the +0 version should probably have something to them besides Power Resistance. I'm not sure what, though. Any ideas?

It's not very clear that you intended for there to be two versions. You might want to change it to LA: +0 (+1 if with a psychic power). You also need to mention how often they can use that power.

Doc Scratch speculates it's specifically a result of the Signless' mutant blood that allowed him to remember his previous existence, and Aranea points out that neither Blood player ever manifested the supernatural abilities of the Blood aspect in either of their lifetimes at the time of Openbound Pt 2.

That being said, I'm willing to change it, but I'd want to give them something to make up for it so there's a reason to play them. Any ideas?
Oh, now I see. I thought it was a Seer thing because Roxy's Mom also had some Seer powers. Right now it's just a fluff thing, it's got no in game benefit anyway. I suggest giving them a bonus feat, because they are more versatile than other trolls, like humans are more versatile than elves and other races.

AuraTwilight
2013-06-27, 11:16 PM
I think you forgot to take out the "power resistance" part from the violet and fuchia troll section when you made the edit to change "power resistance" to "resistance to mind affecting".

Actually, that was intentional. Partly from indecision, partly because continued scaling was getting ridiculous as it was and I decided to break up the benefit.

It's not very clear that you intended for there to be two versions. You might want to change it to LA: +0 (+1 if with a psychic power). You also need to mention how often they can use that power.

I'll clarify then.

Oh, now I see. I thought it was a Seer thing because Roxy's Mom also had some Seer powers. Right now it's just a fluff thing, it's got no in game benefit anyway. I suggest giving them a bonus feat, because they are more versatile than other trolls, like humans are more versatile than elves and other races.

I considered that. My worry is that it would make Red trolls kind of objectively better than humans in almost every way.

The_Final_Stand
2013-06-28, 02:41 AM
It's probably worth noting that, in A2 at least, both Redbloods were effective leaders. The Sufferer started a religion that outlasted him, and Karkat managed to get 12 angry teenagers that at best tolerate each other, and at worst are mid cycle of vengeance to work together and beat the game.

That may be a Blood thing, but given that they are both our only example of Redbloods, and our only examples of Blood players, we'll probably have to make do. There's also theorising that the Redblood mutation is specifically a mutation from Limebloods in the first place, removing the psionics in exchange for social skills, but that's just a theory.

AuraTwilight
2013-06-28, 03:36 AM
It's probably worth noting that, in A2 at least, both Redbloods were effective leaders. The Sufferer started a religion that outlasted him, and Karkat managed to get 12 angry teenagers that at best tolerate each other, and at worst are mid cycle of vengeance to work together and beat the game.

That may be a Blood thing, but given that they are both our only example of Redbloods, and our only examples of Blood players, we'll probably have to make do. There's also theorising that the Redblood mutation is specifically a mutation from Limebloods in the first place, removing the psionics in exchange for social skills, but that's just a theory.

On the first part, that's really a cultural thing, and has nothing to do with their Aspects or blood color. Kankri's pretty ineffectual :P

On the second, that's a bit of a misconception. Hussie made a statement to the effect that Karkat's astrological sign occupies the space a Limeblood would be in the wheel, but that was to illuminate the fact that a Red isn't at the 'bottom' of the Hemospectrum, but outside of it. He's not saying they were genetic stand-ins for each other.

Geordnet
2013-06-28, 08:35 AM
Interesting...

Did you know, the start of this thread coincides roughly with me discovering Homestuck? (I hadn't noticed it before since I was too busy archive binging.) :smallbiggrin:

Pokonic
2013-06-28, 04:48 PM
For a Cerulean troll bonus: some sort of small bonus to a information-gathering skill (possibly +4 to Local)? Both the Serkets are rather well informed of there surroundings, and if Tealbloods have the ability to smell things, then one could say that, due to there precarious spot between nobility and commoner that they have a natural need to gather information about there surroundings.

AuraTwilight
2013-06-28, 05:06 PM
Maybe. I'll consider that, but I'd rather take a few more ideas first.

AuraTwilight
2013-06-30, 01:23 AM
Made updates to Red, Jade, and Cerulean bloods. Tell me what you think.

Debihuman
2013-06-30, 04:32 AM
Just a little quibble here: when s creature has a bonus or penalty, it helps to say what kind of bonus and to state that it is a penalty. They should all be racial bonuses. It seems a few were left out. Normally, you don't have a penalty; you take a penalty as you gain a bonus.

Also, one has to save against a "mind-affecting effect" not just mind-affecting.

The color of the troll doesn't need to be Capitalized [for emphasis as here] unless it is at the beginning of a sentence.

See items bolded as examples and for other corrections as well

Burgundy trolls have the strongest capacity for psychic ability, while also possessing the strongest vulnerability to it. A burgundy troll has a 3rd-level psionic power of the player's choice (or two 2nd-level powers, or three 1st-level powers) as a Psi-like Ability 3/day with Manifester Level equal to HD, but takes a -6 penalty on saves against mind-affecting effects. LA +0.

Bronze trolls have the next-strongest capacity for psychic ability, while also possessing the next-strongest vulnerability to it. A bronze troll has a 2nd-level psionic power (or two 1st-level powers) of the player's choice as a Psi-like Ability 3/day with Manifester Level equal to HD, but takes a -4 penalty on saves against mind-affecting effects. LA +0.

It's minor stuff but adds polish.

Before I forget, I want to say that I like the changes you made. Overall, exceptionally well done. Kudos.

Debby

AuraTwilight
2013-06-30, 04:57 AM
Thanks; I appreciate the grammar corrections.

Incidentally, are the bonuses the higher blood colors get too large? I like how Ceruleans get a +8 against mind-affecting effects (accidental Homestuck joke I didn't intend), but is +10, +12 etc too large?

Debihuman
2013-06-30, 05:15 AM
Thanks; I appreciate the grammar corrections.

Incidentally, are the bonuses the higher blood colors get too large? I like how Ceruleans get a +8 against mind-affecting effects (accidental Homestuck joke I didn't intend), but is +10, +12 etc too large?

Those bonuses are probably too large for LA +1 and definitely so for LA +0.

I'd say indigo trolls are LA +2 rather than LA +1. I tend to be very conservative in my estimates.

Here is my general rule of thumb: LA +0 racial bonuses no more than +2 over all; LA +1 racial bonuses no more than +4 over all; LA +2 racial bonuses no more than +6 over all (though this can also depend on what other abilities are present and at how powerful they are). Also, if you give a creature a penalty, giving it other benefits can offset it.

Debby

AuraTwilight
2013-06-30, 05:19 AM
That sounds about right. I try to lowball LA due to its tendency to end up being too high, but let's see...

How's this look?

Randomguy
2013-07-01, 01:53 AM
Those bonuses are probably too large for LA +1 and definitely so for LA +0.

I'd say indigo trolls are LA +2 rather than LA +1. I tend to be very conservative in my estimates.

Here is my general rule of thumb: LA +0 racial bonuses no more than +2 over all; LA +1 racial bonuses no more than +4 over all; LA +2 racial bonuses no more than +6 over all (though this can also depend on what other abilities are present and at how powerful they are). Also, if you give a creature a penalty, giving it other benefits can offset it.

Debby

Not really. If it were +8 to an ability score then that might be worth a +2 LA, but this is just to Mind Effecting, where flat out immunity isn't uncommon. There's a (1 hd) race called Jaebrin in MM5 that get immunity to Mind effecting and a whole bunch of other racial bonuses, and they're only +1 LA. I don't think a bonus to saves against mind effecting would ever be worth more than +1 LA, if that.

The scaling bonuses are a bit silly, though. I suggest capping it at +10 and just giving purple and violet bloods flat out immunity to mind affecting.

Also, what's with regeneration on Indigo bloods? Equius grew back teeth. Not limbs. I'm more inclined to think Trolls in general just have multiple sets of teeth like sharks do, especially since either Big Pointy Teeth or fangs of some sort are very common among trolls, especially high bloods.

AuraTwilight
2013-07-01, 02:28 AM
Also, what's with regeneration on Indigo bloods? Equius grew back teeth. Not limbs. I'm more inclined to think Trolls in general just have multiple sets of teeth like sharks do, especially since either Big Pointy Teeth or fangs of some sort are very common among trolls, especially high bloods.

Yea, that sounds about right. Still, Indigo bloods seem like they'd get a perk like that; perhaps Fast Healing, or something?

...Then again, it's been pointed out in the community that Indigobloods seem very hot-blooded, including Aradia when she was in a blue-blooded robot. Maybe something like being able to Rage a few times?

Debihuman
2013-07-01, 01:36 PM
Rage could also be obtained from class so don't be so quick to make it a racial feature.

Debby

AuraTwilight
2013-07-01, 02:09 PM
That's why I was hesitating. I'm just not sure what to replace Regeneration with that would seem appropriate for their species fluff.

Ezra_The_Mad
2013-07-02, 11:53 AM
A huge Strength bonus?

AuraTwilight
2013-07-02, 03:35 PM
I'd rather not do that, since every Troll already gets highly customizable Ability scores. Besides, Equis' strength is stated to be something specific to himself and his hard work, not attributable to anything inherited.

Randomguy
2013-07-03, 07:03 PM
How about Weapon Proficiency with the Shortbow, Longbow, composite shorbow and Longbow and maybe EWP with the Greatbow? Indigo Bloods consider archery to be a very noble talent, so they train themselves in archery from a very young age.

AuraTwilight
2013-07-03, 07:24 PM
That's an idea! I'll put it as a maybe before editing the main posts again. Got any other ideas?

lord pringle
2013-07-03, 07:27 PM
Maybe something to represent Equius and Horuss's mechanical talents?

DracoDei
2013-07-03, 08:23 PM
Forgive me if this is the result of skimming, but can you apply your +2 ability score adjustment to the same ability as the -2 to cancel them out? (Not that this would generally be a good idea...).

Also, I would definitely say that makes them min-maxable. For instance, a red troll wizard with -2 charisma or strength is superior to a human wizard. Not TOO much better, but humans are already pretty good from what I hear.

Randomguy
2013-07-03, 08:29 PM
Forgive me if this is the result of skimming, but can you apply your +2 ability score adjustment to the same ability as the -2 to cancel them out? (Not that this would generally be a good idea...).

Also, I would definitely say that makes them min-maxable. For instance, a red troll wizard with -2 charisma or strength is superior to a human wizard. Not TOO much better, but humans are already pretty good from what I hear.

That's a good point. Another concern might be that in an all troll campaign you might end up with a majority of the players all being Red-blooded trolls, when they're supposed to be very rare. Maybe +1 skill points per levels might be more appropriate?

AuraTwilight
2013-07-03, 08:43 PM

Sure, why not?

Considering how their session went, being Min-Maxy seems to be part of Troll culture. B)

That's a good point. Another concern might be that in an all troll campaign you might end up with a majority of the players all being Red-blooded trolls, when they're supposed to be very rare. Maybe +1 skill points per levels might be more appropriate?

Ceded.

Maybe something to represent Equius and Horuss's mechanical talents?

...Hm. That again seems to be something specific for the two of them. I'm not so sure.

DracoDei
2013-07-03, 09:32 PM
Ceded.

Which is actually 4 points at first level.

AuraTwilight
2013-07-06, 09:48 PM
Bump; Still looking for Indigo blood ideas.

Randomguy
2013-07-06, 09:59 PM
There aren't that many options other than something archery related or something related to mechanics. Maybe a bonus to intimidate checks? Maybe EWP with one weapon of their choosing because of that one blue blood with the horn nunchuks that appeared briefly before dying? So Equius would have EWP (Greatbow) and the other troll had EWP (nunchaku). Personally I think bow proficiency would be the best bet.

AuraTwilight
2013-07-06, 11:34 PM
I like Exotic Weapon Proficiency. Think I'll go that route.

AuraTwilight
2013-07-10, 01:42 AM
Bump. This seems complete to me. Anyone else agree?

DMwithoutPC's
2014-11-09, 05:40 AM
this is awesome and exactly what I needed. I'm DMing a game inspired on Homestuck and the trolls in particular, and now I have an actual race! the game start tonight so I found this right on time.

thanks!