PDA

View Full Version : The Grave Arena (Pathfinder) (Powergamers Welcome)

The 23rd Kraken
2013-06-23, 03:01 AM
So I am working on a Campaign mainly designed for powergamers in my store, allowing them to build characters to fight other player's characters or non-player characters that I have built. I would like people's thoughts about the concept and some of the "house rules" I made up. (To see the captain page please go to: http://www.epicwords.com/grave)

Also if anyone has a character (any level, any class, any race, and any gear) they would like to donate, I would greatly appreciate it. (If so please Email it to me at [email protected]) Thanks!

First some notes:
Starting level is 8
Building is using the 25 point buy system
Start of Campaign is only core classes and core races

Starting gold 33k

My house rules:
Players may only use items classes, and races that I have approved and have been added to this website. Over time items will be added or "unlocked". Races and classes can only be unlocked by players spending Grave Tokens. Once unlocked any player may use it.

There is no XP in this game

In this game you do not roll for hit points. You always get the maximum that you can get.

Character are allowed to have a template so long as they can pay for it. See Grave Tokens for more information. Characters may only ever have one template at a time.

Grave Tokens:
Grave tokens are account bound not Character bound. They can not be traded or sold. You gain Grave Token after winning a match. The amount you gain is equal to the Challenge Rating of the match. If your Challenge Rating is lower than the Challenge Rating of the match, then you will gain a bonus of 10% per level difference from the Challenge Rating rounded down. If your Challenge Rating is Higher than the Challenge Rating of the match, then you will take a penalty of 10% per level difference of the Challenge Rating rounded down.

You may spend you Grave Token to gain Bonus to a character, unlock Races or Classes, and/or just gain bonus gold (see below for more details). If you wish to spend you Grave Tokens you must send me a Private message on what you wish to spend it on. You must wait for me to approve the transaction before making any modification. Note: if something becomes "Unlocked", it is unlock for anyone who is making a new character and will be added to the appropriate wiki.

{TABLE]Cost| Effect
20GT|Gain a bonus Feat(May only do this 5 times per character)
10GT|Gain a bonus Trait(May only do this 5 times per character)
5GT|Gain a bonus Skill Point
5GT x New Level|Gain a level
1GT x Character level|Cast True Resurrection on one of your characters
2GT x New Stat|Gain a bonus Attribute point
1GT|100GP
25GT|Gain a -1 CR Paizo approved Template*
50GT|Gain a 0 CR Paizo approved Template*
75GT|Gain a 1 CR Paizo approved Template*
100GT|Gain a 2 CR Paizo approved Template*
125GT|Gain a 3 CR Paizo approved Template*
Free|Remove a Template*
25GT|Unlock a Class
30GT|Unlock Aasimar
18GT|Unlock Catfolk
22GT|Unlock Dhampir
28GT|Unlock Drow
34GT|Unlock Fetchling
20GT|Unlock Goblin
18GT|Unlock Hobgoblin
12GT|Unlock Ifrit
10GT|Unlock Kobold
16GT|Unlock Orc
12GT|Unlock Oread
18GT|Unlock Ratfolk
12GT|Unlock Sylph
26GT|Unlock Tengu
26GT|Unlock Tiefling
17GT|Unlock Undine
25GT|Unlock Changeling
30GT|Unlock Duergar
25GT|Unlock Gillman
30GT|Unlock Grippli
25GT|Unlock Kitsune
25GT|Unlock Merfolk
25GT|Unlock Nagaji
25GT|Unlock Samsaran
25GT|Unlock Strix
25GT|Unlock Suli
25GT|Unlock Svirfneblin
25GT|Unlock Vanara
25GT|Unlock Vishkanya
25GT|Unlock Wayang
55GT|Unlock Android
95GT|Unlock Ghoran
50GT|Unlock Monkey Goblin
55GT|Unlock Lashunta
205GT|Unlock Drow Noble[/TABLE]

Fame:
The more Fame you have, the more bonuses from rewards you gain each time you win a match.

How to gain Fame
Each time you win a match you gain +1 Fame.

If you battle to the death with someone who has more fame then you and win, you'll gain the difference in Fame.

If you win a match with someone higher CR than you you gain more Fame. For every CR+2 higher then your CR you gain +1

Gaining Gold: Gain gold equal to your CR x Match CR x your Charisma Score x (1 + Fame/100).

Gaining Items: Will say on the Match Challenge. (Click here (http://www.epicwords.com/Grave/forums) to see Match Challenges)

Pramxnim
2013-06-23, 05:40 AM
This seems like a fun idea, if executed well. The houserules look interesting, and I like the Grave Token idea, especially when it lets you unlock races and classes for everyone to dive in on. Have you considered letting losers gain Grave Tokens, albeit at a much lower rate? This prevents snowballing, where if one character keeps winning, he or she will become so strong that no one else can compete.

That said, I'm more interested in the "character donation" you speak of. What do you intend on using the characters for? As NPC battles or as sample PCs for those who want to opt-in? Do you require backgrounds etc. for these donated characters?

The 23rd Kraken
2013-06-23, 05:25 PM
This seems like a fun idea, if executed well. The houserules look interesting, and I like the Grave Token idea, especially when it lets you unlock races and classes for everyone to dive in on. Have you considered letting losers gain Grave Tokens, albeit at a much lower rate? This prevents snowballing, where if one character keeps winning, he or she will become so strong that no one else can compete.

That said, I'm more interested in the "character donation" you speak of. What do you intend on using the characters for? As NPC battles or as sample PCs for those who want to opt-in? Do you require backgrounds etc. for these donated characters?

I am honestly not worried about a player become that powerful right away. I feel it will take time for someone to collect that many Grave tokens. If someone does become too powerful, the other PC's characters don't need to fight him (or her). No PC if forced to fight a match and if there is a character that is so strong that no other PC can compete, then I will make a NPC to give him (or her) a challenge. Plus player who are not as strong as that character can always meet with me on a day that is not that day of the main game session and fight with one of the NPCs of "challenges" that has been made. This will allow them to catch up. Also, if someone with a "God like" character is feeling like he (or she) is no longer getting a challenge, they could always build a another character. Players are not limited to one character, but may only use one at a time, in a match.

With that said, I do think I need to make a system to track how strong a player is. Mainly so players know what they are walking into. This new system I just made up (and totally stole the concept from Dragon Ball Z) is called "Power Level". This is something that I will be keeping track of and will not have the players know the formula.

The Power Level of a character is 20 points per feat + 10 points per trait + 1 point per skill point + 100 points per CR + 1 point per hp + 1 point per spell + 1 point per ability score point + 1 point per spell-like ability + add all number in Resistances, SR, and DR and then dd to power level, then add 100th of the total Gold Value of items. (I can't wait for the day someone gets over 9,000)

As for the Character Donation, I mainly plan on using them as NPC for PC to battle. I am mainly looking for min-maxed built characters. I do not require background, however I do love them and if I use a NPC that is donated to the game, that has no background, I will end up giving it one. I am mainly looking for NPC ranging from CR 6 to CR 20.

Example of NPC backgrounds: http://www.epicwords.com/Grave/npcs

ThatOneGuy79
2013-06-23, 06:14 PM
I love this idea! Will be pm-ing you with a couple of ideas soon. :)

Nightraiderx
2013-06-24, 02:30 PM
Looks pretty cool, are you accepting any more players in general? if now I'll just make NPC's

The 23rd Kraken
2013-06-24, 03:36 PM
Looks pretty cool, are you accepting any more players in general? if now I'll just make NPC's

I didn't giving it much thought, about the idea of non-local players joining the game. I guess thanks to Epicwords.com it could be done. So why not, If you or anyone else wish to join Just build a Level 8 character following these rules: http://www.epicwords.com/wikis/24157. The legal classes and races can be found in the child wikis located at the bottom of that page. I will be making a post within the next 12 hrs on the forum section of that campaign, explaining how online combat will work. It will be post by post for non-local players.

Once you have built the character, e-mail a copy of the character sheet, make an Epicwords account (Its free to use), then join the Campaign (Password: bloodstone)!

Make an Epicwords account: http://www.epicwords.com/users/new

Join Grave Arena: http://www.epicwords.com/grave (The "Join this Campaign" button is located on the right hand side, toward the bottom.)

Should you ever move to or visit the Clermont, Florida arena you can find us here:

Gamers United Shop
17416 7th Street
Montverde, Fl 34756

I am always accepting NPCs to be added to the game. Even if you are a player you can still make NPCs.

Updated Version of House Rules:
Players may only use items classes, and races that I have approved and have been added to this website. Over time items will be added or "unlocked". Races and classes can only be unlocked by players spending Grave Tokens.

Starting level for this campaign is level 8.

In this game you do not roll for hit points. You always get the maximum that you can get.

Character are allowed to have a template so long as they can pay for it. See Grave Tokens for more information. Characters may only ever have one template at a time.

Plays can use the Words of Power system if the wish. Just know that it is a complex system if you have never used it before.

If a class is unlock, all the Paizo Published archetypes for the class is also unlocked.

Erik Vale
2013-06-25, 07:53 PM
For Table Code, inserting a | between items to break the table into colums... I think.
And then you can use [center][/center-] [no -] to make the text central, since I can see your OCD like that. I'll take a look at submitting PC's and NPC's.

The 23rd Kraken
2013-06-25, 11:51 PM
For Table Code, inserting a | between items to break the table into colums... I think.
And then you can use [center][/center-] [no -] to make the text central, since I can see your OCD like that. I'll take a look at submitting PC's and NPC's.

I see what you are doing, and I thank you for the idea. But ya, my OCD is pretty bad. There should be a code for it. Normally its somthing like:

{TABLE-]
Data 1Data 2
AB
[/TABLE-]

Erik Vale
2013-06-26, 12:16 AM
Well I know of no others so *shrug*

And If I'm wrong, there are sample tables in one of the stickied threads of Homebrew Design.

And OCD was a throughaway line/joke... Well, things happen. Though I suggested it partially because I also like things centered.

The 23rd Kraken
2013-06-26, 03:03 AM
Well I know of no others so *shrug*

And If I'm wrong, there are sample tables in one of the stickied threads of Homebrew Design.

And OCD was a throughaway line/joke... Well, things happen. Though I suggested it partially because I also like things centered.

So ya... I took your advice and looked up a random table that someone else had made (Don't know why I never thought of that one.), and it turns out you were right the first time... Sorry. @_@ Just needed to add a | , inbetween each section. Thanks for the advice and yes, I did notice you said "OCD" as a joke. (I was trying to keep it running. Never been good at jokes however...)