PDA

View Full Version : Pimp my Fighter! Pathfinder

Seatbelt
2013-06-23, 08:38 AM
Hey there folks! I have an ECL 20 fighter build that I'm fairly happy with. She dual-wields Scimitars and I went with a crit-fisher build (although its annoying that Critical Focus does NOTHING once you have Weapon Mastery). Took improved Critical, Crit Focus, Staggering Critical, Blinding Critical, and Critical Mastery. I'm a STR focused character, so no weapon finesse. Just enough dex to get greater TWF.

I'm not actually looking for build help though. That was just to give you background.

What I need help with is that I've never actually equipped an ECL 20 character before and I've never played a straight fighter. So I'm completely out of my depth. Can you folks give me good suggestions? We have 800,000 GP to spend, no item can cost more than 250,000gp, and I know I want two scimitars with the +5 enhancement bonus, and am willing to spend up to 200K for each one. Bonus points if they're themed after the Swords mega-cycle from MTG (light and shadow/fire and ice/feast and famine/body and mind).

Only Pathfinder material is legal. No 3.5.

Please and thank you. :)

eggynack
2013-06-23, 08:53 AM
Just tossing this out there as a thing of some nature, but you should probably use PF in your thread title rather than 3.P. The latter is indicative of a game drawing material from both sources, as an unholy amalgam of sorts, while PF indicates a game which only makes use of Pathfinder material. Given that the game is apparently restricted to only PF material, PF is thus the more accurate term. In this fashion, order may be restored.

Ailowynn
2013-06-23, 11:52 AM
I'll let others tell you about the power level of the build. For your question specifically: don't go for +5. It sounds great. Highest bonus. Amazing. All that stuff. But really, it's not that big of a deal, unless you're a two-handed Power Attacker (which you aren't). Going for +2 or +3 just to offset the TWF penalties is good; but the rest should be spent on enchantments instead. Now, I have no idea what series it is that you're talking about, but I can at least say that ice/fire could be icy burst and flaming burst. Advancing could help with your movement rate. Brilliant energy would match up with the whole Light idea, but it's expensive; perhaps the glorious quality would be better. Life surge could work for Life. Really, just look through the list of enchantment sand choose some.

For the rest of your money: but stuff to boost Strength and damage output. Don't buy armor unless you have money left over—you'll desperately need more damage.

Seatbelt
2013-06-23, 06:44 PM
I know the build is not very high on the power scale. I'm familiar with tiers. I know TWF wants bonus damage die from sneak attack like Microsoft wants money. If you would like to suggest a more powerful TWF build, I would listen. But it has to be 20 level monoclass. Archetypes and feats and goodies from all the Pathfinder books are allowed, but the 'chassis' has to be fighter, rogue, barbarian, bard, or paladin. I've never actually played a character that doesn't cast spells of some kind. So I'm really wedded to the idea of being Fighter 20/ full BAB class, despite all the "its not a wizard" baggage that Fighter has.

I do appreciate the treasure suggestions. But as an interesting aside, the Two Weapon Warrior archetype does not take TWF penalties. So... thats neat. :)

Squirrel_Dude
2013-06-23, 06:46 PM
If you're going to do criticals, take stunning critical rather than staggering critical or blinding. Stunning is a far worse thing to hit an enemy with, and you have the BAB to afford it.

If you're convinced about two-weapon fighting, I would definitely recommend that you go the Two-Weapon Warrior Archetype. Might as well make the most of your style. At 20th level, the dex requirements for two weapon fighting aren't so bad, but i would still recommend that you use rapiers with weapon finesse instead of scimitars. That way you're a little less MAD.

Of course, you'll also want two-weapon rend.

*Paladin or Barbarian might be better. Paladin has fun times with Smite, and the Barbarian can get pounce so you can do all of your attacks on a charge. the downside to both is you will be feat starved (but that's standard for TWF). I would still recommend them over a fighter for this.

Human Paladin/Barbarian Feats
1 TWF
1 Weapon Finesse
3 Double Slice
5 Piranha Strike
7 Improved Two Weapon Fighting
9 Critical Focus
11 Two Weapon Rend
13 Greater Two Weapon Fighting
15 X Critical
17 Stunning Critical
19 Critical Mastery You would need be be human and to get Keen on your weapons. You would have absolutely no feats to spare.

Seatbelt
2013-06-23, 07:24 PM
If you're going to do criticals, take stunning critical rather than staggering critical or blinding. Stunning is a far worse thing to hit an enemy with, and you have the BAB to afford it.

If you're convinced about two-weapon fighting, I would definitely recommend that you go the Two-Weapon Warrior Archetype. Might as well make the most of your style. At 20th level, the dex requirements for two weapon fighting aren't so bad, but i would still recommend that you use rapiers with weapon finesse instead of scimitars. That way you're a little less MAD.

Of course, you'll also want two-weapon rend.

*Paladin or Barbarian might be better. Paladin has fun times with Smite, and the Barbarian can get pounce so you can do all of your attacks on a charge. the downside to both is you will be feat starved (but that's standard for TWF). I would still recommend them over a fighter for this.

Human Paladin/Barbarian Feats
1 TWF
1 Weapon Finesse
3 Double Slice
5 Piranha Strike
7 Improved Two Weapon Fighting
9 Critical Focus
11 Two Weapon Rend
13 Greater Two Weapon Fighting
15 X Critical
17 Stunning Critical
19 Critical Mastery You would need be be human and to get Keen on your weapons. You would have absolutely no feats to spare.

I took Two Weapon Warrior. I really like the archetype. Every time they hit me I get to hit them TWICE? So I full attack them, if they survive they full attack me, and then they probably die because I just got to full attack them for free.

Stunning Critical requires Staggering Critical. The effect replaces the other, which is lame and I didn't want to waste TWO feats (Crit Focus/Staggered) for the chance to stun someone.

I do really like Fighter 20. But I've also never played a Paladin or a Barbarian. So I will look in to that. Would still appreciate equipment advice. :) What neat trinkets are must-haves for non-tier 1s?

Squirrel_Dude
2013-06-23, 09:09 PM
I took Two Weapon Warrior. I really like the archetype. Every time they hit me I get to hit them TWICE? So I full attack them, if they survive they full attack me, and then they probably die because I just got to full attack them for free.

Stunning Critical requires Staggering Critical. The effect replaces the other, which is lame and I didn't want to waste TWO feats (Crit Focus/Staggered) for the chance to stun someone. You're a fighter

I do really like Fighter 20. But I've also never played a Paladin or a Barbarian. So I will look in to that. Would still appreciate equipment advice. :) What neat trinkets are must-haves for non-tier 1s?Yeah, well, the one advantage of being a fighter is you're going to run out of useful things to use your feats on. Seriously, there just isn't that much for you if you're focused on dealing damage.

1. TWF
1. Double Slice
2. Two Weapon Defense
3. ???
4. ???
5. ???
6. Improved TWF
7. ???
8. Improved Critical (Your weapon)
9. Critical Focus
10. ???
11. Two Weapon Rend
12. Greater TWF
13. Tiring Critical
14. Staggering Critical
15. Critical Mastery
16. Exhausting Critical
17. Stunning Critical
18. ???
19. ???
20. ???

Possible Options:
Combat Expertise
-> Improved Disarm -> Greater Disarm -> Break Guard
-> *Two Weapon Feint -> Improved Two Weapon Feint
*Techinically, you don't need this as a prereq, according to Imp. TW Feint text. DMs are advised to slap you for trying to not take it, though.

Vital Strike -> Devastating Strike ->Improved Devastating Strike

EWP (Rhoka)

Weapon Focus (X) + Intimidating Prowess
-> Dazzling Display -> Shatter Defenses
-> Greater Weapon Focus (X) + Shatter Defenses -> Deadly StrokeYeah, even with you taking 4 feats for types of critical effects, you still 8 feats left. Fighters be cray.

As for trinkets. You'll want
1. Flight
2. Flight
3. Stat Boosts
4. Flight

As for weapons, you want one mithril or cold iron (if undead or devils are more likely) and one adamantine. Here are some of the enchantments you will want:
- Impervious (+3000 G)
- Negating (+1 bonus)
- Keen (if you need an extra feat) (+1 bonus)
- Dancing (On a third weapon)
- Dueling (+14000 G)
- Countering (+1 Bonus)

There are some others (the straight extra damage kind, for instance), but those are the only ones that seemed like they would be interesting to you.

King Ri-Ri
2013-06-23, 09:37 PM
I think you should look at getting better armor. especially if dex isn't your focus. Probably adamantine full plate with some enchantment bonus