PDA

View Full Version : Question: Dependencies on other work

belboz
2006-12-05, 05:08 PM
I have a question (that's actually been percolating in my mind since the Pirate contest) that I was hoping a mod could answer.

I'm aware that, except in contests where it's explicitly allowed, team entries are forbidden. But what about entries that (with permission) in some way *depend* on another poster's previously posted work?

For example, suppose a particular contest is to design an NPC, and I want to give my NPC a character class that was designed by PosterX over in Homebrew (or maybe even in a previous contest)? Assuming I get PosterX's permission, and make it clear in the entry that the class design is PosterX's, not mine, may I do this? Or does that still count as a team entry?

Roland St. Jude
2006-12-05, 06:15 PM
I'd be interested in community opinion on this before we weigh in with an official answer.

The Demented One
2006-12-05, 08:18 PM
I'm personally in favor of building on the work of others. Lord knows I've done plenty of that.

MandibleBones
2006-12-06, 12:48 AM
I'd agree with DO - we're designing homebrew stuff here; I don't see the harm in building on it.

If anything, it could further review the other material just by virtue of using it.

Mike_Lemmer
2006-12-06, 02:58 AM
And it would bring up good old entries to the forefront again, instead of just forgetting them after the awards are handed out. I'm all for it, as long as they get written permission from the creator before they use it.

knightsaline
2006-12-13, 08:50 PM
I think its a good idea, posterX may have thought of something that posterW had not thought of. As long as posterX has permission from posterW, I can see no harm in it at all.

Mauril Everleaf
2006-12-14, 11:13 AM
Plus it makes sure that the class from posterX gets a semblance of public playtest. I know that i dont always playtest my homebrew stuff before i toss it in a campaign. I vote that it is good. Credit should be given where credit is due (maybe even via link to thread if available) but im not sure if permission is required. I always assumed that if they posted it on homebrew they had no problems with others using it. I may be wrong and need to be corrected (i usually let them know, mostly because its a compliment to have your work used).