PDA

View Full Version : Adventure in the City of Coin

Philemonite
2013-06-23, 01:04 PM
In the City of Coin, secret conversations in dark hallways serve as a more reliable source of information than official notices, and one such conversation has brought you to the Five Flagons Inn in Bridge District. A promise of coin, fame and honor made the offer sweet, but the secrecy almost made you turn it down. Still, you are here waiting for the mysterious figure to appear.

Lost in your thoughts, you almost fail to notice a dark-robed figure entering the room. Once he reaches the middle of the room he stops and takes a good look at you.
"Well, I must say, I am impressed by the turnout. Last time we only had four candidates, and they were not really suitable. I hope you are more capable then them. But I am forgetting my manners, I am...Walden." He paused before saying his name, as if he was trying to remember it. "I am going to be your link with the Organization, if you prove you are capable enough. You have been promised a lot in exchange for your services, however the situation is a bit more complicated. What we actually offer is power. There is a place for everyone within the Organization, but you will have to earn it. Some of the thing you need to do will be less then legal, so if you have a problem with that you can leave right now. If not, we can start talking about your first mission."
He looks at you awaiting your response and any question you might have.

Battlemage
2013-06-23, 01:47 PM
Khoren Bloodsnow

The massive Goliath looks down toward 'Walden', his arms crossed and resting on the crossguard of the gigantic sheated fullblade in front of him. His metallic skin glimmers in the dim light of the room and the expression in his gleaming blue eyes seems to be one of amusement. His size, demeanor, and general roughness present a strange contrast to the wild flowers in many vibrant colors that are fastened to the collar of his well-crafted hide armor.

He laughs and then speaks in a deep, echoing voice.

"Hah! I expected money, but power will do just fine. I'm useful enough," he pats his weapon, "and who cares about legal in this city anyway."

He grins, an expression that on him carries a somewhat dangerous undertone, and looks around at the rest of the assembled group to watch their reaction to the offer.

Good choice, coming to this city. My kind of place.

LtPowers
2013-06-23, 04:25 PM
"Mortal laws can be corrupt," states a young Half-Elven female as she steps forward, "but Divine Law is inviolable. I do what is right, whatever the legality of that may be." Somehow, her visage finds a streak of light in the dark room. Her face is pleasing, moreso with the smile on it, but only in the way that most Half-Elves' are. Her holy symbol glints as it hits the tiny beam of light that dares show itself among the shadows; it is the three-starred triangle of Lliira.

"I am already a member of an 'organization'," she continues. "What is yours, and why would I want to join it?" Her smile is disarming and utterly genuine. Behind her, a cat meows, as if for punctuation.

Adrie Everbright

Daveheart
2013-06-23, 05:10 PM
The bard who had been playing the lute in the corner of the room, singing a soothing ballad, smiles to the people who gathered around him.

"Well, my friends, it looks like that's it for tonight. If my simple words stirred your generous heart, any coin you can spare will be gratefully accepted.
Or at least you can ask our good master Thunderburp, may Lliira conserve his fat, echoing belly, to remember the name of this poor singer and call him again in his wonderful tavern!
Thanks again for your patronage!"

The human keeps bowing to the audience for a while, then exchanges a couple of words with the owner and sits at the counter.

When the robed figure enters the room, he listens to his speech, then walks toward the table nearest to the Goliath and the Half-elf, sits down and sporting a disarming smile says: "Sorry for the delay, but I received some word of this meeting, and I was interested, too. But the charming miss here has a point. You offer us power and ask for... less than legal support. But you don't give us any detail about you. How do we know this is not a roundup of the Radiant Heart? Or that you are not simply gathering grunts for the Shadow Thieves? Help us to build some trust!
In case you need a diplomacy check, here it goes. [roll0]. Still no Word of Friendship.

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-23, 07:30 PM
Kaede takes a couple steps from the back of the group toward 'Walden'. Her eyes narrow as she approaches the man, clearly less than pleased at how this meeting is turning out.

"I will require a great deal more explanation before I agree to anything. Your methods sound less than honorable, but it is your purpose that matters more to me."

The ronin thinks to herself for a moment. -

Were my circumstances any less dire I would be walking away right now; but here I am, in a new city with little money and no lord... desperate times, desperate measures if I am ever to return home.

Wdwune
2013-06-23, 10:01 PM
Xardis of Thay

In a corner nearby you see a brawny, brown skinned male humanoid with sparkling but serious eyes resembling yellow gems. Golden energy lines glow all over his muscled body, and shows a considerable amount of scars. Wears unusual but mundane clothes, a leather armor and carries with him a heavy shield and a longsword with glowing symbols.

He remained all the time silent, arms crossed. When the guy who introduced himself as 'Walden' finishes speaking, he frowned and looked down taking his time to listen to the other comments.

"I agree with the goliath," finally said in a guthural, low-pitched voice. "Power is enough for me."

"Power is enough," he thinks. "Power. And revenge."

SiuiS
2013-06-24, 04:22 AM
Betrys leans forward in her chair, maile elbows burbling against the table's wood. She smiles beatifically beneath a rustling strand of greenish curls. The entire ordeal seems well in hand, with the other candidates speaking forward. Instead, she waits patiently, a mellow happiness effusing the gathered adventurers. The contentment of a summer tree in the sun.

HopeHubris
2013-06-24, 07:35 AM
Sitting at the bar, Askus perks his ears when 'Walden' walks in, but doesn't move , appearing content to just sit and finish his ale, while listening in on the discussion between the man and the more vocal hirelings

DragonKnightp3
2013-06-24, 01:53 PM
Of the various potential recruits, there was one that probably went overlooked by the majority of the crowd. In a small corner of the room hiding behind a discarded stool or two was a simple looking red fox. The ignorant or even the drunkards might be forgiven for merely assuming this creature somehow snuck in or was merely the pet of some other adventurer. Some might not even care that the vixxen was there at all. However, there were a lot of things about the creature that didn't quite add up.

The first was that the fox didn't seem too skittish around the presence of so many humanoids. She kept to herself and always sat with her back against a wall. Her blue eyes hid an intelligence that was far above any normal animal. She had a tuff of red hair on forehead that didn't quite match her reddish orange fur. She also seemed to be wearing a small belt pouch around her neck. For the time being, the vixxen had chosen to remain where she was and simply watch the proceedings as they occurred. She didn't particularly like the secrecy of this gathering and thus chose to combat it with a bit of secrecy of her own. If she didn't like what she heard, she would simply make her way out the same way she came in...or perhaps make a slight fuss and get tossed out. If she did like what she heard, there would be plenty of time to impress her new employer.

Pratina reluctantly admitted that the promise of power was interesting. If for no other reason so she could use it to further her own ends. Furthermore, Pratina was a hengeyokai. What did a fox care about laws of humans? Still, on some level she did care so long as the laws were just. This Walden would need to mention more than that if he desired her full co-operation. She would have been content to just sit in the shadows and watch his reaction to the others if not for the woman with the steel-like gaze that caught her attention. Hearing this human speak of purpose was intriguing to the vixxen, ...could she be...no...it is much too early to decide that. Besides...I am hardly ready for that yet...focus on the present....still, I think I will get a closer look now.

The fox sat up from her hiding spot and moved into plain view. She strolled forward on her four legs and wasn't the least bit concerned about the other patrons around her. She stopped about two feet away from Kaede and proceeded to sit down to the sword woman's right side almost like an obedient pet. Her eyes stared forward at Walden and even without any words, it was clear that Pratina felt the same as the woman. She seemed to be searching...almost expecting...some form of deception on Walden's part. She wished to know his purpose and that would be the final deciding factor.

First a bluff check to hide the fact that she is more than mere fox. If you want to know the truth go ahead and roll an insight against her bluff.
[roll0]

Second, an insight check on Walden's intentions. I know it's probably not necessary but I really do see Pratina doing it. [roll1]

LtPowers
2013-06-24, 02:57 PM
Somewhere behind the Half-Elven Joybringer, a cat sees the canine and retreats deeper into the shadows... keeping a close eye on both the fox and the Half-Elf.

Vikka (the cat)

Philemonite
2013-06-25, 11:36 AM
Walden carefully observed everything that was going on in the inn, making sure not to miss anything while still listening to all the questions.
"No, I do not work for the order. We do share some goals with them, but they are too pompous and direct. Our methods are a lot more subtle. And I would be careful when comparing Organization with the Shadow Thieves, some of my colleges are very sensitive, and it would not end well for you."
He turned towards the Half-Elven woman.
"Divine Law? So, you are a woman of cloth? Well, it takes all kinds to make a world, and we could definitely use some Divine help in the Organization. Your first mission is to take down a corrupt noble. I don't know if that's joyous enough, but it is an example of how human laws can be corrupt."
He took a good look at his audience.
"Smart enough to ask the right questions, but brave enough to stay and actually listening? Definitely have some potential." He mumbled to himself.
"Let's make a deal. Taking down a corrupt noble is a right thing to do, and for those of you who are not into doing good gold will be provided. So, you do this first mission, and we take it from there. It won't even be to hard, just some infiltration and some confrontation. You don't even have to kill anyone, just disable them."

Daveheart
2013-06-25, 03:43 PM
The bard scratches his head, passing his hand through his hair.
He gazes down for some more moments, then he raises his head.
His eyes are shining, and a slanting grin appears on his face.

"Nicely played, Sir. You gave us an answer we wanted to hear and did not answer to what we actually wanted to know. But, as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
A noble may very well be untouchable for the law, and his sins could go unpunished. The noble hero of the people against the vile tyrant! Isn't this the stuff of legends?
I will come and see with my eyes if this man deserves to be punished!"

Derek's eyes show excitement while he looks at the other patrons. He then pauses as if he forgot something and then turns back to Walden:

"Ah, of course I still expect some money for the effort, dear Sir. Doing the right thing may be good for one's soul, but, alas, a man has to think of his future..."

Sneer. He then turns towards the other people in the room.

"And you guys? Who else wants to be in this party?"

Battlemage
2013-06-25, 04:09 PM
Khoren Bloodsnow

The Goliath snorts, a sound like gravel scraping across stone. His answer is directed both at the hooded man (whose name was certain to be anything but Walden) and the wordy bard.

"Nobles will happily grab power wherever they can get it. If they don't have the strength to hold on to it afterwards..." he shrugs nonchalantly. "Infiltration's not my style, but for the confrontation part I'm the best you can get! Promise me good coin and good fights and consider me highly motivated!"

We'll see how much of a fight a city noble and his men can put up. Maybe keeping them alive will add some challenge, at least.

He much preferred fights to the death. It wasn't that he enjoyed the killing itself, though he was not bothered by it either. A fight just wasn't real enough when death was not on the line. The dance of steel was most intense when there were only two outcomes.

You win or you die.

The dangerous grin is back on his face, at once savage as a tiger and happy as a child.

Wdwune
2013-06-25, 04:14 PM
Xardis of Thay

The genasi warrior listened every word of Walden's speech. "Just disabling a corrupted influential guy," he though. "However, he's not giving us any information unless we can accomplish this mission..." He finally raised his head, his yellow glowing eyes staring seriously at every patron who was listening to Walden.

His eyes went from the brown-haired female human wielding a peculiar polearm ("she looks fragile, but her heavy armor and the way she holds her weapon tells me oherwise."), to the huge goliath of the gigantic blade ("that guy looks strong. If he and I are engaged in a swordplay I must be forced to more sophisticated tactics than usual..."), the female half-elf ("a religious girl, with fierce devotion. I wonder if she has that determination in battle too"), the human musician ("a bard. He's clearly the infiltration type, but even so, bards know arcane magic that is useful in battle."), and even a fox and... something behind a chair ("a cat, maybe?").

When the smiling bard asks for gold to walden, the genasi warrior just subtly nods in approval ("perfect. I didn't even need to ask"). And then the bard turned to everyone, just like a squad leader looking for volunteers.

It took a moment for him to finally make a choice.

"I'm in," the genasi finally said. His earthly face remained unexpressive though.

SiuiS
2013-06-25, 04:39 PM
Betrys sits back, slowly. Calmly. The beatific smile still sits her face, but there is a clear air of subtle patronization about her. This man is, in his own way, trying to play them, and everyone knows it.

"And who is our mark~?"

LtPowers
2013-06-25, 08:50 PM
The Half-Elf's smile falters somewhat; were she not a Joybringer she might actually frown. "Ruining someone's life is rarely an occasion for joy. I presume there is strong evidence of this noble's corruption?"

She looks at the others in the room... most of them appeared fairly thoughtful and honorable, but a few looked like some of their impulses might need a bit of tempering. Maybe she could be useful, and prevent excessive violence. If she were to just walk out on this, who knows how badly it might end?

Still, she feels quite out of place. This group, whatever they were, were looking for mercenaries, not priests. Unconsciously, she moves a step closer to the Shou woman, whose statements seemed most in line with her own thoughts. She also looks with interest at the Hamadryad, whose demeanor suggests contentment... not quite joy, but perhaps a cousin, and most welcome in a place such as this.

Adrie Everbright

Daveheart
2013-06-26, 05:53 AM
While everyone speaks his mind, Derek observes the expressions on the patrons' faces and their bodily language.

"If I will be working with them", he thinks, "it's better to understand what they think".

Follows list of Insight rolls on each character:

Inoue Kaede: [roll0]
Khoren Bloodsnow: [roll1]
Xardis: [roll2]
Adrie Everbright: [roll3]
Tieru Sunshadow: [roll4] (supposing he joins the conversation, otherwise don't consider this roll)
Pratina Liao: no roll. Derek doesn't have a reason to think a vixxen can be anything else and has too low passive Insight to suspect.
Askus: no roll. He's at the counter, no way Derek thinks he's part of the group.
Betrys: [roll5]

Not bad at all... Betrys is difficult to read, indeed!

Philemonite
2013-06-26, 07:15 AM
Walden smiled when he heard bard's comment.
"Well, I like to keep my audience entertained." he said.
"And I do have some experience." He whispered to the bard.
He turned to the Half-Elven woman, he was determined to beat her in this exchange of wits, so he change his tactics.
"That's strange, I always thought that riding the city of corruption is a cause for joy. Maybe that's just me." He didn't give her a chance to respond as he continued.
"You will all be payed for your troubles, you do not need to worry. Your target, if you choose to except this mission, is Lord Seldor, a relatively powerful noble. Some of you might have heard of him. He is involved in most of the crimes in the city, particularly slavery and trade of stolen goods. He is backed by some powerful nobles, including the Roenal's, so our best course of action is to attack him on multiple fronts. One option is to sneak into Roenal estate. They hold detailed records of Seldor's activities. All you need to do is take it to Chief Inspector Braga, and he will know what to do with them. Your other option is to rescue a merchant named Daneir. He has been imprisoned by Seldor, because what Daneir knows threatens him. Your third option is to contact the Order of the Radiant Heart. This would be the most difficult option, but if you could convince them to ask a few questions and maybe even search his estate, there would be enough proof to guaranty a very long sentence. Is that enough information?"

SiuiS
2013-06-26, 07:28 AM
The Half-Elf's smile falters somewhat; were she not a Joybringer she might actually frown. "Ruining someone's life is rarely an occasion for joy. I presume there is strong evidence of this noble's corruption?"

"We will find it if there is, and we may always leave if tricked."

"Is that enough information?"

"It is for now, thank you."

Time then comes to start, soon? Betrys lifts her cup gingerly between both hands to the familiar rattling of armored links, closes her eyes and takes a long drink. The whiskey swirls about her mouth, tongue, and she spends a moment indulging in it's flavored, especially the lascivious hints of oak for. The aging barrel. A sense of internal focus builds and stays, and her eyes remain closed until the bottom of the class makes solid impact with the table.

"Do we need you more? If not we would like more privacy to discuss our plans." the dryad smiles.

LtPowers
2013-06-26, 08:47 AM
The Joybringer nods at the Hamadryad's point, then listens to Walden's explanation. "Very well. If you intend to get the Radiant Heart involved, having me along will help to demonstrate our good intentions. And even if we don't approach them, I fully intend to help rescue this poor merchant. If we can help damage the slave trade in the process, so much the better.

"Adrie Everbright, Joybringer of Lliira, will assist this cause."

Adrie

Daveheart
2013-06-26, 09:53 AM
To Betrys:
"Yes, I think we need him a bit more, my lady of the Trees. We need to know at least three more things."

To Walden, counting with fingers:
"One: does your Organization have a preference about how we should handle the matter? Do you want discretion or fame?"
"Two: this Daneir guy, where is he kept? Roenall estate or Seldor estate? And how does he look like?
"Three: when we get things done, how do we contact you?"

To Khoren, Xardis and Inoue Kaede:
"And also you strike me as men... and women of arms." Derek brazenly winks at Inoue Kaede.
"Do you have questions for our generous employer about your area of expertise? Guards, fortifications... I'm not a fighter myself, and I wouldn't know what to ask, but I do want to survive our little escapade..."
A smile, bowing his head towards the group.

Edit
Forgot the "how does he look like" part. Only Khoren replied by now and it's not affected, so I edited

Battlemage
2013-06-26, 10:02 AM
Khoren Bloodsnow

The Goliath looks at 'Walden', then at the bard, then at 'Walden' again, an unreadable expression on his face.

Talky fellows.

"A predator watches it's prey before it strikes. We will do the same. How stealthy does the whole thing need to be? How much... damage to Seldor's estate and guards is acceptable?"

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-26, 10:33 AM
Kaede frowns. How the mighty have fallen. then shrugs and sighs.

"I must concur. Any information we receive now could be dangerously dated before we make our move. That is assuming I join this operation to begin with...

She turns back to Walden "You have given us some good reasons to dislike this man, Seldor, but you have yet to assuage my doubts about your organization itself.

This is a game of strategy, I've seen it's like before - you topple Seldor, and then what? Who takes Seldor's place? Are they more honorable, wiser... or merely more willing to line your pockets instead of a rivals, perhaps?"

Kaede draws closer to Walden, leaving her Naginata propped against a chair.

"What I wish to understand, Walden-san, is the lay of the board. To put it in terms perhaps familiar to you - I will happily be a pawn if it serves a genuinely righteous cause, but I will not serve wickedness in any capacity, even if made a queen. You understand, yes?"

Wdwune
2013-06-26, 10:35 AM
Xardis of Thay

"Slavery," the words came to Xardis' mind like a rimestorm over a magma soup. He scowled as he thought. "Our target, Lord Seldor, is a slaver. Could it be possible that this Walden guy actually wanted me in this mission for a reason? There's few person who know about my experience with slavers." He took his time to look at Walden's eyes. "This could be dangerous. I'd better be careful from now on..."

He stared down, frowning again, submerged in his usual tactical trance. "Let's see. We could either steal some documents from another noble's state, or rescue a merchant directly from Seldor's dungeons, or go in a diplomatic mission to talk our way to this... 'Order'..."

The bard's words interrupted the flow of his thoughts.

"Do you have questions for our generous employer about your area of expertise? Guards, fortifications... I'm not a fighter myself, and I wouldn't know what to ask, but I do want to survive our little escapade..."

After the female human warrior spoke, Xardis broke his stoic silence. "During most battles you fight without knowing your opponent beforehand," he spoke to Walden, lowly. "However the bard has a point here, and no matter the circumstances, the reports of the scouts are always useful. Do you have any information regarding the defenses of the three locations?"

Philemonite
2013-06-26, 11:28 AM
Walden was surprised by the samurai girl's comment.
"Can you not for a second entertain the idea that we want to abolish the game, not just change the players?" He asked with a smile.
"We have no preference, but i believe it would be best to split up and attempt all three. If even one succeeds, the mission will be accomplished. As far as we know Daneir is held in a special cell in the prison. There is a room upstairs, it is reserved for me. You can usually find me there, if you are patient enough. The bartender can show you the room."
He paused for a second.
"We would like for the damage to be minimal, the less attention you attract, the better. The prison is hard to infiltrate, a direct approach would be the best solution. There are two guards outside that can be easily disabled. Once you are inside you will have to deal with at least three guards. There is not much else I can tell you about that. The Roenal estate should not be heavily guarded, you should be able to pass with some stealth. As for the Order, if here anyone is blessed with a silver tongue, that would be very helpful."

Daveheart
2013-06-26, 12:38 PM
Derek listens carefully to Walden's words, then he appears lost in thought for a few seconds, his eyes looking at the table he sits at.

Slowly, he stands up and turns to him.

"I heard enough and I'm in. I'll sit here at this table and the first round is on me.
When you guys are finished, take a seat, so that we can properly decide how to split these jobs between us. I really need a fresh, dark beer now."

He rummages in his backsack and picks up the handkerchief where the patrons put some coin in, while he was playing his lute. Derek stands up and calls for the waitress:

"Hey, Amy! A drink for me and my five friends here! Unless you want one too, Walden."

Finally, he picks up his lute and starts playing an adagio melody, humming softly.

DragonKnightp3
2013-06-26, 01:31 PM
The vixxen listened quietly to the discussions being held around her. While she could have easily joined in herself, it would require her to change forms and as far as she was concerned, Walden hadn't quite earned the right to see that sight just yet. He was a mask that she couldn't read and that bristled her fur just a little bit. There were always other ways for her to express herself without changing into a human or her half-animal form. Still, any attempt at all would at least suggest she was more than a 'stupid beast' regardless which way she chose.

One would find it almost comical to see such a thoughtful expression on fox's face. Her mind took in all three scenarios of how to take down this slaver noble, assuming she participated. The first was collecting the documents. Regardless of what form she chose for that mission, she was always clever enough to stay out of sight and stood a good chance of watching for trouble. The true problem would be any locks she encountered. The fox woman had a delicate touch but she wasn't skilled at making the most of it. Animal form would be best for a task like that since she would likely be kicked out if discovered...Or turned into a fox skin scarf... she mentally grimaced at that last thought.

Her mind wandered to the rescue attempt. Once again, locks would be a tricky problem but when it came to combat, she wasn't a slouch. It was still not her favored idea since it would require her to shift to her human form or her true half-form. She would have no choice but to out herself as a hengeyokai to the current group. She briefly closed her eyes in remembrance, ...I....I...do not owe these people anything...if they do not accept me...I can just move on and let them deal with this problem themselves... Pratina was a tad prideful. She didn't want to agree to anything if she wasn't willing to see it through. Nor did she want to admit that part of the reason she stayed in fox form was to avoid being judged. She was hopeful that this group would be different but she prepared herself for the opposite reaction as well.

That left the last option, the diplomatic mission to the Order. She had spent quite a bit of time studying human nature. Yes, Walden was a mask to her but the average man would have a harder time lying in her presence. She could even mimic the liars to an extent but she was not practiced in it. More often than not, she merely used their assumptions against them. Once they knew what they were dealing with, it became much harder to trick them. Finally, without physical proof, the vixxen very much doubted their word would go far.

After thinking long and hard, she finally made her decision. Pratina moved a little closer to Walden before once again. The fox suddenly began scratching at her neck as she worked the pouch over her head and onto the floor in front of her. She pulled a string on the pouch to open it up and revealed a set of playing cards. However, these cards had simple one or two word phrases written on the back side of them. She grasped one of the cards with her teeth, taking care not to get any drool over it. She placed the card on the table in front of Walden so that he could see the words written on it, "I Agree." She let him see it just long enough for him to read it before reclaiming it and placing it back into the pouch. If she got the satisfaction of seeing a dumbfounded expression or two from the gather adventurers, she would smirk a little.

After making her first decision known, she nimbly hopped into one of the seats at the table and placed her little pouch on top. She once again rummaged through the pouch until she managed to pull out three cards. She flipped them over so that they were facing up. The Ace of spades, the two of clubs, and the three of hearts. Once all three cards were facing upright. She placed a paw on the ace of spades while letting out a short yip. Her paw then moved to the two of clubs and the vixxen yipped once more though not as loud as the first. She finally moved to the three of hearts and whimpered a little. Clearly she was trying to show which of the three she would rather do.

Battlemage
2013-06-26, 02:02 PM
Khoren Bloodsnow

The massive Goliath is just about to say something when the fox's unexpected actions interrupt him. He watches it perform its task with a blank face until the animal is done.

"Thank you for your opinion on the matter." he deadpans. "I'll take the rescue mission myself. I prefer overwhelming force to sneaking around and my blade is better at convincing people than my tongue."

Nature roll to see what Khoren knows about sentient foxes or fox-like races (which is unlikely to be much): [roll0]

Philemonite
2013-06-26, 02:10 PM
"Your offer is appreciated, but I don't drink when I'm working. Maybe we can share a drink when this mission is over."

There was no trace of confusion on Walden's face as the vixen showed him the card.
"I am glad." he said to her.
"One, two, three, I got it." he added as she showed him the cards.

Wdwune
2013-06-26, 02:37 PM
Xardis of Thay

After listening a more detailed approach of the three different missions, Xardis took a brief time to review he options as he walked towards one of the empty chairs at the bard's table.

"Clearly, I'm a soldier," he thought. "So I think the rescue mission should be the easiest for me. he infiltration mission, well... I'm not the stealthy type, so it would be hard for me to sneak into the Roenal state. And the diplomatic one seems I could not be a masterpiece, but I could lend support if needed..."

Once he took a seat, the genasi paid attention to the fox showing cards and clearly communicating. "This is not an ordinary fox... I wonder if it's..."

When the fox was finished, Xardis finally made his choice:

"I'll take any mission that's necessary, but the priority of my preferences is, the rescue, the diplomatic, then the infiltration, in that order."

OOC:
Reasons of my preferences:
1) Rescue mission: Xardis is a defender/leader, so that mission would suit him perfectly.
2) Diplomatic mission: Even if he's not trained on diplomacy or bluff, he can still make intelligence-based checks (+4 untrained bonus), and is trained in Intimidate (just in case)
3) Infiltration mission: He has low dexterity (hey, it's a noisy elemental creature), so stealth is not his strong point. However, he's trained in Arcana, so he can act as both magic detector and team guard.

Daveheart
2013-06-26, 02:48 PM
"What the...? Ok, whose familiar is this?" chuckles Derek looking around.

Derek thinks it's a wizard's familiar. Arcana check to see if he manages to suspect otherwise: [roll0]

HopeHubris
2013-06-26, 03:02 PM
"I drink when he's workin'" the minotaur says, as he gets up from the bar, and walks over to the group, grabbing any alcohol on offer.
"Name's Askus, I'm up for the attacking, I'm a bit big for a stealth approach" Askus says, letting out a loud, lowing laugh
"What's with the fox?"

LtPowers
2013-06-26, 03:06 PM
Adrie blinks. "So this rescue mission is an assault? On the prison? I'm a little concerned; surely the city's guards haven't done anything wrong, have they? Do they even know that this merchant is wrongfully imprisoned?

Adrie Everbright

SiuiS
2013-06-26, 03:21 PM
"What I wish to understand, Walden-san, is the lay of the board. To put it in terms perhaps familiar to you - I will happily be a pawn if it serves a genuinely righteous cause, but I will not serve wickedness in any capacity, even if made a queen. You understand, yes?"

Betrys looks confused. "But isn't Walden the worst person to ask? He must tell you what he wants you to hear to get you involved."

After making her first decision known, she nimbly hopped into one of the seats at the table and placed her little pouch on top. She once again rummaged through the pouch until she managed to pull out three cards. She flipped them over so that they were facing up. The Ace of spades, the two of clubs, and the three of hearts. Once all three cards were facing upright. She placed a paw on the ace of spades while letting out a short yip. Her paw then moved to the two of clubs and the vixxen yipped once more though not as loud as the first. She finally moved to the three of hearts and whimpered a little. Clearly she was trying to show which of the three she would rather do.

The dryad light up – almost literally. Her hair becomes a more vibrant green, her eyes sparkling. "Oh! How darling~!"

Daveheart
2013-06-26, 03:43 PM
Derek pauses momentarily in his room observation and looks at the hulking minotaur. This time a loud laughter starts.

"And now what, are we supposed to look for another one from the ceiling or from under the table?", says Derek, his shoulders shaking.

"Welcome, big boy. Derek's the name. I trust your ears are just as long as your horns, so that we don't have to repeat everything. Amy, another one, and I suspect you should spill in the big tankard!"

Derek turns towards the cleric, his face more serious but still with traces of laughs: "Milady, please don't panic. I was going to ask you if you'd be so kind to accompany me... and the fox, I guess, to the Radiant Heart, BEFORE we do anything else. If we prove convincing enough maybe there won't be the need to intervene in a more "physical" way, even if I doubt it.
And I think that the help of a woman of the cloth would do wonders to improve the reputation of a wandering bard. I fear there's not much sympathy between paladins and my kind.
But if you prefer to go oversee that no innocent blood is spilled I will understand you."

LtPowers
2013-06-26, 06:27 PM
"I'm not panicking, milord," says Adrie with a smile. "Just trying to make sure I understand the situation. As for the Radiant Heart, I'd have some reservations going to them early. First, we don't have any evidence to present to them. Sure, I'd be able to convince them to listen... but then what would we say? As it is, we have only Walden's word on any of this. That may be good enough for us to begin an investigation, but I'm thinking the Radiant Heart would want more."

She sits at the table, looking with curiosity at the she-fox. But she ignores that for now, continuing: "Second, if we involve the Radiant Heart so early, the investigation will proceed only as they dictate. We'd lose a lot of flexibility, not to mention anonymity, both things we may need."

Adrie Everbright

Wdwune
2013-06-26, 06:56 PM
Xardis of Thay

"I'm afraid the priestess is right," the genasi says with a scowl. "A reconaissance would be better attempted before involving such a powerful organization as the Order in all this. Hence, perhaps the infiltration mission should be executed as soon as possible so we can get the evidence needed to send a diplomatic envoy."

SiuiS
2013-06-27, 01:25 AM
Xardis of Thay

"I'm afraid the priestess is right," the genasi says with a scowl. "A reconaissance would be better attempted before involving such a powerful organization as the Order in all this. Hence, perhaps the infiltration mission should be executed as soon as possible so we can get the evidence needed to send a diplomatic envoy."

"I have to disagree. One does not turn but a single leaf to the sun – carry all eggs in one basket. Many actions at once reflects better on us."

The dryad shifts forward, conspiratorially, grinning. Her hair rustles, her eyes twinkle. For those at the table, the lights seem to dim, a focused spotlight only on those in the ring, here. A hush and heaviness, stillness. The look of elfin joy on her face battles a stoic sobriety. Sobriety is clearly losing. "And speaking of "us", are we not a troupe, now? A company? If this works out well, we should make it formal; be an Adventuring Band, on charter and all~! Like all the tales, but also a practical device."

Daveheart
2013-06-27, 02:29 AM
"Solid arguments, indeed. I said I doubted it too, and mostly for the same reason: we need proof. I could probably try to come up with a sobbing story about me being a former employee of Lord Seldor that wants to atone for his sins as a slaver. But I would like to be sure I'm not simply badmouthing a powerful and honest Lord. That would be unjust AND plain stupid."

Derek pauses a bit and lifts a hand, palm up.

"Yet I still think that if it's discretion we need, letting the Order do the inspection and the cleaning job would be the safest way. And the fact that Walden suggested this possibility makes me believe he might have a mole inside, or more likely reasons to suspect the Order is already making a move on Lord Seldor, and might need an unknown face to close the deal."

Derek lifts the other hand, as if he was weighing his words.

"On the other hand, Lord Seldor himself could have a mole inside the Order, and that would compromise our infiltration."

"I think we don't know enough about each other now. Why don't we just introduce ourselves, say what we can and we can't do? By Corellon's pointy sword, we don't even know our names!
I'll start: I'm Derek Duvalle, bard. I can handle some conversation, I'm a jack of all trades and have some informal knowledge about magic and history, mostly from the songs I learned. I can fight if pressed, but consider me a supporting man, not a front-liner.
Now I'll shut up and let you do the talking."

Battlemage
2013-06-27, 10:46 AM
Khoren Bloodsnow

"I am Khoren Bloodsnow. The Spirit of the Steel Dragon is my blood. I fight. I kill."

He speaks the words calmly but emphatically and his clear blue eyes fill up with a silvery substance, turning into shiny globes of liquid steel. His metallic skin sparkles and a faint impression of something huge and wild and massive appears super-imposed over his figure, flashes of cold eyes and smooth steel, sharp fangs and coiled muscle, gleaming wings and writhing scales.

Then he blinks, his eyes of the same blue that they've always been and there is nothing to see.

"I am strong. I run fast, jump far and climb high. I keep going when others give up. And small people often fear me."

He grins at the last part, taking obvious pleasure in that fact.

Wdwune
2013-06-27, 12:23 PM
Xardis of Thay

"This goliath has something oddly familiar," the earthsoul genasi thought. "Perhaps he has earthling ancestors, or maybe stone giant cousins. Whatever..."

If he wanted to achieve his objectives, he would need to gain experience and rise in power. To do that he would have to fulfill the missions given to him, and to complete those, he would need to get to know his companions better.

And, of course, being polite.

"My name is Xardis," he finally said. "I'm both a swordsman and a spellcaster. I'm trained to both protect the squad I'm in, and control the close battlefield."

Hircine
2013-06-27, 04:49 PM
Tieru Sunshadow

A figure emerges from the shadows, leaning heavily on a gnarled piece of wood. This person's face is shrouded by the hood of a dark green cloak.

"I'm not sure I trust Walden or this...Organization. However for the time being dealing with this Lord Seldor seems like a noble undertaking that I may be a part of. My name is Tieru by the way."

SiuiS
2013-06-27, 04:54 PM
The dryad stands up, with her palms on the table. "My name is Betrys, and I don't have any clever titles or things to say. But I have my ideals and an axe." she beams, as though volunteering for something far more pleasant than axing people.

LtPowers
2013-06-27, 05:19 PM
"As I said, I'm Adrie Everbright," says the Half-Elf with yet another smile. "I'm sure you all know what an adventuring priestess can do. I do admit I haven't trained much in hand-to-hand combat, but I trust that won't be a big deal with the number of warriors we have here. Most of my magic works just fine from several yards away."

Adrie

DragonKnightp3
2013-06-27, 05:58 PM
Introductions and abilities...oh boy...this is going to be...tricky...

The vixxen seemed to grimace a little as the conversation turned to names and abilities. It wasn't that Pratina couldn't share everything about herself. It would only take a simple transformation and once the shock wore off maybe she could get a word in edge wise before people started calling her a monster. The red fox didn't think this group would be nearly that bad but she didn't want to play her hand in front of such a large audience...at least not yet. That once again meant Pratina was stuck with her cards. Granted, she had 52 of them and each one contained a single word, but even she couldn't possibly hold an entire conversation with just a few generic words. Still, by refusing the alternative, she was left with no other option besides stay quiet and continue to be treated as a pet rather than a member of the group.

She once again played with her deck uttering a soft whine or two from having to play around with her cards in this manner. They were fanned out by the fox for a brief moment before she finally found the ones that she was looking for. The vixxen placed the first card right on the edge of the table in front of her seat. It was turned towards everyone else with the word "Prix" written on it. Afterwards, she arranged a few more cards as the group continued to converse. When she was finally finished, she yipped once to get everyone's attention. The words were hardly in a correct sentence but one could easily fill in the blanks. She arranged them in lines underneath the card mentioning her nickname,

"Can" "Hide" "Listen"
"See" "False"
"No" "Talk" "Good"

...At least not as a fox, she mentally finished. Pratina figured the last line might help break the ice with a bit of humor. Afterall, who expects a fox to speak words. Still, a part of her wanted to put the word Fight in along with the other two, but that would hint at her true nature. She would rather have that as a last resort or when there weren't so many strangers around.

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-28, 03:36 AM
Kaede has spent a long moment in thought, considering Walden's words, the words of of the dryad... and now of all things the behavior of the strange little fox that seems to have joined the group.

After considering it all she gives a heavy shrug.

"Fine, I've heard enough. I shall join this endeavor, if only to make certain it remains, how do you say it... 'on the level'.

As for myself, I am a warrior first and foremost, but I have been trained in the arts of diplomacy as well. Trickery and stealth I leave to others - I face my enemies directly, or not at all."

With that declaration the samurai woman retrieves her naginata and then sits at the table, rather than standing.

LtPowers
2013-06-28, 06:29 AM
"And what may we call you, noble warrior?" Adrie asks, smiling.

Adrie Everbright

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-28, 06:46 AM
Kaede looks at the priestess, at first surprised, then rather embarrassed.

"I-Inoue, Inoue Kaede. My apologies for forgetting to mention that."

LtPowers
2013-06-28, 07:59 AM
"Please," says the priestess, waving off the concern, "think no more of it. We've all got a lot of new information to process here; it's easy to forget something."

She turns to the vixen. "You are unusually intelligent for a fox," she points out, stating the obvious. "I bet there's more you're not telling us, but no matter; you'll tell us when you're ready. Or ... perhaps you can't, because you don't know." She shakes her head. "As I said, no matter. You're here now and you clearly understand us. I'm not sure what use you have for the rewards being offered, but that's your own business.

"A couple of questions, though, 'Prix'... if I'm reading that correctly... Have you a master, or are you a free agent? And what pronoun should we use for you: he, or she?" She pauses after each choice to give Prix a chance to respond.

Adrie Everbright

Philemonite
2013-06-28, 08:34 AM
As the vixen started her little show Walden became more interested in her. He took a closer look, trying to concentrate.

Pratina

As Walden is looking at you you can feel a slight pressure in your head, but this pressure is not sharp and penetrating, it is blunt and soothing. This last only for a moment, and then you hear a voice in your head:
"If that's how you want to play it I have no objection, as long as the job gets done." The voice is strangely soothing, and you only feel slight discomfort.

He turned to assembled adventurers.

"You are forgetting one important thing, time. It is a resource we do not have. Whatever you intend to do, you must do it quickly. As for the guards, the only once that are not bribed by Seldor are the guards outside, and they can be disabled using subtlety. And for the others, a few cuts and bruises might even convince them to do their job properly next time. They are not above the law, just because they enforce it.
My offer still stands, the room upstairs is much more suited for your conversation.
So, if there are no more questions for me, I will leave you to your planing, and I will be back in an hour."

HopeHubris
2013-06-28, 10:15 AM
"Already told you my name, as for what I do, I'm big, and I throw nets, nets covered in magic."
The minotaur says, downing his ale
"I'm game for taking the prison, wouldn't be much help with the stealthin' and unless you want someone scared, don't let me talk to 'em"
He finishes with a laugh, ready to follow the rest of the group upstairs should they go

Daveheart
2013-06-28, 10:44 AM
Derek keeps listening while the other adventurers describe themselves.

When a new cloaked figure joins the conversation he raises an eyebrow, thinking:
"Wow, another one. A shame he barely said his name."

Finally, as Walden leaves the room he comes to a conclusion.
"There's a big lack of leadership here. Walden gave us three possibilities and it's up to us to decide, but since we don't know each other and he did not designate a leader, agreeing on anything is going to be a pain. If I let them discuss like this, sooner or later there will be an argument. Ok, time to speed up things."

Derek reaches into his bag and pulls out a small pouch, then picks up some coins from his pockets. All of them are of equal size and weight, some have the effigy of Athkatla and some the effigy of Neverwinter.

"Guys, I have a proposal. We have three mission to accomplish, and a short time for discussions. Neither of us is good at infiltration. Some are good at fighting. Other are good at diplomacy. But Betrys is right, it's better if we attempt all paths. I suggest to create three squads, with three leaders.
The leaders will be chosen by Lady Tymora, so that we do not have to bicker among ourselves.
Each leader will pick a mission and then choose a crew."

While talking, Derek shows the coins, explains that who gets the Neverwinter coin gets to be a leader, then puts 6 Athkatla coins and 3 Neverwinter coins inside.

"I'll go last, so that you don't think I'm cheating. Come on!"

Easiest way IMHO: let Asteron roll, I'll suggest how in the OOC if everyone agrees.

SiuiS
2013-06-28, 01:17 PM
Betrys laughs, a quiet build up than ends in a stifled giggle. "I'll go first, if you do not mind~?"

Biting her lower lip, eyes dancing, she slowly sticks her whole hand in the bag. She moves her fingers around a bit, and pulls her hand back out – with five coins. Free looking at her hand for a brief moment, she relaxes and twists her wrist, dropping all but one Neverwinter coin back into the bag.

"Tymora favors the bold, and my old friend always says the skilled make their own luck. I trust this fits within the spirit of your game?" The flicker of joy pales just a little; perhaps the group would be upset...

Battlemage
2013-06-28, 01:30 PM
Khoren Bloodsnow

The Goliath watches Betrys take the coin and breaks into a deep and low laugh that rumbles through the room.

"I like you, little tree lady. You want something, you take it! That is how the world works."

Khoren himself ignores the coins.

"Me, I'm a warrior, not a sheep herder. I only lead in combat."

He seems completely oblivious of the fact that his statement could possibly be construed as a insult.

HopeHubris
2013-06-28, 01:31 PM
"I like this one!"
Askus says, letting out a loud, bellowing laugh and grabbing a coin

Coin Roll: [roll0]

Daveheart
2013-06-28, 01:45 PM
A smile of admiration is depicted on Derek's face.

"Well, it certainly dulls the excitement somehow... But I think I can live with it, as long as it doesn't cause attrition within us, which was the main point of this... game, as you called it."

Derek moves as if to move to the next person, but stops and turns back to face Betrys, casually scratching his neck with the left hand.

"Ah, madam, just one more word: if one is able to cheat, it doesn't mean he always should..."

Derek swiftly jabs his left hand over Betrys' shoulder, as if he's trying to catch a bug. He slowly and dramatically moves the hand back, and a Neverwinter coin lies in his hand.

"Unless he accepts the responsability." Smirk.

Wdwune
2013-06-28, 02:07 PM
Xardis

The genasi just frowned upon seeing the axe-female just choosing the coin instead of randomly picking it, but said nothing.

Instead, he paid attention to one of the Athkatla coins the dryad dropped back in the pouch.

As he slowly put his hand in the little sack, he thought for himself: "If you want to play Siege, you need to do your duty, girl..."

So he focused his touch sense into the coins the dryad left inside, and, guided by the slight warmth Betrys' hand left, he intentionally picked one of the four Athkatla coins she just dropped and put it on the table, in front of him.

"That way I can choose what team I'm in," he thought, arms crossed, and waiting.

Hircine
2013-06-28, 02:49 PM
Tieru Sunshadow

The druid approaches the bag, hoping he doesn't draw one of the Neverwinter Coins. Closing his eyes he reaches into sack and fishes out a coin. Opening his eyes he's relieved to see a coin of Athkatla between his fingers. Letting out a sigh of relief, Tieru finds the nearest wall to lean against where he will wait to see who picks the remaining Neverwinter coins.

DragonKnightp3
2013-06-28, 03:28 PM
The fox blinked a bit in surprise as she felt Walden's presence against her mind. The vixxen wasn't completely oblivious to psionic abilities, but she had clearly miscalculated Walden's particular skill set. Her little game of intelligent fox had convinced him to dive deeper. With her cover blown, she was half-expecting him to blab it to everyone present. However, he held his tongue stating he didn't mind as long as she got results. The hengeyokai wasn't quite sure if she should have felt relieved or concerned. For the time being, she tried to ignore it.

Beyond that, she focused on Adrie's previous questions. She let out a small yip in conformation that she was an obviously intelligent fox but remained silent through the rest of her assessment. When the priestess asked about a master, Pratina stared at her cards a moment as if trying to decide which one to take. Eventually, she pulled out a card that had the name "Pratina Liao" written on it. The first name seemed fairly common for someone from Amn or points further west but the last name was definitely not of the same region. Instead, the name Liao had a Shou feel to it. It was as if the family name had originated in the east around the Kara-Tur Region. The name was a pure clash of cultures.

When it came to gender, Pratina thought about just getting on the table and lifting up her hind leg for the priestess to see but decided against that idea. There were less intrusive methods of getting her point across. The fox dug around for a second card that had "She" written on it. The fox placed the gender card next to the Prix card then after a moment moved it next to the Pratina card.

As the bag was passed back and forth, the vixxen took advantage of its idleness on the table. She sat up in her chair and leaned her forepaws on the surface. She placed one paw on the bag itself while using her other to force out a coin. It took a little bit of time and effort on her part but the fox manage to knock an Athkatla coin out. She visibly sighed at the thought of not being a leader. She doubted that she could do that and stay in her fox form. Finished with her current antics, she backed off and sat back down in her seat.

SiuiS
2013-06-28, 03:45 PM
"Ah, madam, just one more word: if one is able to cheat, it doesn't mean he always should..."

Derek swiftly jabs his left hand over Betrys' shoulder, as if he's trying to catch a bug. He slowly and dramatically moves the hand back, and a Neverwinter coin lies in his hand.
"Unless he accepts the responsability." Smirk.

"Cheating is breaking the rules, though. No one said 'grab one coin' or 'grab at random', did they~?" The ardent looks coyly at the coin in Derek's hand. "But someone did say they weren't going to draw until the very end, now didn't they~?"

And with that, Betrys plucks her coin back from Derek with a wink.

Daveheart
2013-06-28, 04:35 PM
Derek shrugs in is shoulders, uninterested.

"If you want to debate moral issues, we have a priest with us, Milady. I was just talking about the spirit of this game, and I'm sure you know it.
And you misunderstood me, by the way. I'm going to draw as anyone else."

Derek finishes to pass the pouch around till there is but one left, then picks the last coin. The face of Waukeen shines on the coin. He lifts it up, his smile a little less lively than before.

"See? A pawn shall I be."

The other adventurers start showing their coins, and Derek starts to retrieve them.

"So, the big boy, our witty Lady and? Our joious priest or the fighter with eyes of emerald?"

HopeHubris
2013-06-29, 11:29 AM
"Looks like I'll be leading the assault team!"
The minotaur bellows, laughing as loudly as ever

"Don't have much of a plan, but with me and the big guy over there, I don't think we'll need one, ha!"

Wdwune
2013-06-29, 11:33 AM
Xardis

"If you're taking the goliath, I'll go with you as well," the genasi said to the minotaur, serious expression on his face, "since I can provide both protection and support. We can make this assault mission quickly."

OOC:
That was fast! :smallbiggrin:

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-29, 12:41 PM
Kaeda shows her coin, then hands it back to Derek.

"I suppose I will lead the diplomatic mission. I have some experience with such affairs, but I... am probably no the best suited to be the primary negotiator if it can be helped. My ways are strange to the people of these lands, and vice-versa - I suspect strongly I might cause offense, or perhaps take it when none is intended.

If she would be kind enough to accompany me, I'd like our priestess to aid me in this task."

LtPowers
2013-06-29, 01:26 PM
"That's fine," nods Adrie, "though I'd again encourage friend Askus to remember that the guards may not be our enemies. Or ... if they are, then perhaps that they may not really deserve death."

"As for the Radiant Heart, while I'm fine with asking them, I'm still not sure why they would believe us. We have nothing other than Walden's word. He said we might persuade them to investigate, but how? We can't just go in there and say 'pleeeeeeeease' with big doe eyes."

Adrie Everbright

SiuiS
2013-06-29, 01:44 PM
Betrys nods. "Then I will pick up the stealth mission. The darling fox with me, and..." she looks over the assembled, before stopping on Kaede. "Perhaps you should pick again? So it's fair."

Daveheart
2013-06-29, 02:10 PM
To Kaede:
"I think your mission is the least dangerous one, and you're already fit for parley, so maybe two people are enough."

To Betrys:
"The infiltration is the trickiest job, instead. The fox said she can hide, but how is that supposed to help if she can't speak, or open a door or a chest? We miss a rogue. And probably a wizard for a lookout, that Ghost Sound trick they do is very useful.
I think it's quite possible you'll have to engage, and in conditions of inferiority, so your group should be the biggest of the three. This way you'll have reinforcements at hand."

To both:
"But it's your call."

SiuiS
2013-06-29, 04:29 PM
Betrys once again scans the assembled, brushing a strand of curly hair out of her face with a doe-skin glove. "So we are ready, as we ever will be. Myself, Pa...trina?" she checks the card, "And our cloaked friend, going on stealth and wit to claim proof of Seldor's misdeeds. Inoue's team—" Betrys locks eyes with the samurai for a moment, faltering.

"Kaede's team, I mean, will seek to peacefully enlist the Radiant Heart to come as cavalry. And Askus will be the maul to our subtle dagger, smashing the prison and freeing the falsely acccused. This is our plan?" The ardent smiles to the table, and if none disagree, continues. "Then let us drink once in fellowship to seal the bonds, and be off to ready ourselves before 'Walden's' return~!"

((Betrys has no idea prior that Kaede's name follows the last-first method, so I cheated and read her face when speaking :3))

HopeHubris
2013-06-30, 02:09 AM
"Ha! I'll try not to break 'em for ya, priest!"
(OOC: You can probably guess what he's doing as he says it, at this point)

His laughter ends abruptly and he appears serious for a moment
"But if they try to stop me, well, mess with the bull and you get the horns"

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-30, 02:36 AM
Kaede thinks a moment.

"I think I can agree to that course of action."

Battlemage
2013-06-30, 06:27 AM
Khoren Bloodsnow

"Let's get started then!"

The grin is back, a bit more enthusiastic than appropriate for the occasion.

LtPowers
2013-06-30, 08:32 AM
"Good to see such enthusiasm!" says the Joybringer. "It's a shame we don't have time for a more proper celebration," she laments. "Perhaps if we're successful, we can convince Walden to finance one."

Adrie Everbright

Daveheart
2013-06-30, 11:24 AM
To Kaede:

"So, Milady, I'm at your service. Since I share the same doubts of our good priestess, may I suggest to have a last chat with Walden? Maybe we can get something else from him.
Also, I'd like to know if I'm allowed to... add some details here and there when we meet the Order."

To the rest of the group:
"And lastly, if you guys manage to find proof, please find a way to send it to us. We have very few bargaining chips, anything will help."

Wdwune
2013-06-30, 11:01 PM
Xardis

"And lastly, if you guys manage to find proof, please find a way to send it to us. We have very few bargaining chips, anything will help."
"We will," the genasi replies seriously, standing up. "And deliver the information as soon as possible."

Then he walks towards his new arms companions, the goliath and the minotaur, two large warriors. "Looks like we'll be having some sort of interogation session tomorrow when we find our target. Should we make a break-in plan to maximize the chance of success?"

HopeHubris
2013-07-01, 03:15 AM
"Ha! Plans are for the weak, we don't need 'em! But if it makes you feel better, you can make one, prob'ly won't use it but you never know"
The minotaur answers

Wdwune
2013-07-01, 04:38 PM
Xardis

"Ha! Plans are for the weak, we don't need 'em! But if it makes you feel better, you can make one, prob'ly won't use it but you never know"
The minotaur answers
"So be it," the genasi says with a scowl. "We'll improvise a frontal assault then."

"Easier than I thought," Xardis thinks afterwards. "We throw in the minotaur and the goliath to the front lines moving on their own while I just reinforce their position... Such a brute squad we are. Effective only in 'shock and awe' operations, hm..."

mistformsquirrl
2013-07-02, 09:33 AM
Kaede turned to Derek, apparently thinking.

"I suppose it wouldn't hurt to talk to him once more - I still do not trust him though; so we should take what he tells us with ah, what's the phrase... 'grain of salt' yes, that.

As for your desire to embellish, only if we absolutely must. This is a diplomatic mission, and while I know all too well how... underhanded... the affairs of court can be, I suggest we try to be honest and forthright unless there is no other option. Remember, Walden may well be lying to us - it's quite possible there's nothing unseemly this nobleman has done, he may just be an obstacle to our employer's ambitions.

That said, the accusations against him are serious, I suspect that alone will prompt them to investigate. That said... I'm not a fool; if push comes to shove you may do what you must. Just.. be judicious, please. The last thing we need is to upset potential allies."

Daveheart
2013-07-02, 10:10 AM
"As you wish, Miss Inoue. I'll act with discretion.
I'll leave further interrogation of Walden to you and Miss Adrie, I just remembered I have a friend or two who might know something more about Lord Seldor and his relation (or lack thereof) with the slavers.
I'll pay them a visit and then come back here or join you directly at the Order.

Or, if you prefer, both of you can join me. Only, do not judge me by my acquaintances." Blinks.

Roll
Streetwise roll [roll0]. My objective is to find potential witnesses or proof that could be presented to the Order, given Derek's been performing in various taverns of the city for a while, and he's not stingy when it comes to paying rounds of drinks. Maybe it won't be enough, but I hope to find something that can at least give us a starting point.
edit
Aaaand, apparently Derek met only principled men and women, and he's afraid to let the other two know that he spends his Sundays helping elderly gnome ladies crossing the streets. Damn dice.

LtPowers
2013-07-02, 12:06 PM
"Oh, I'd love to meet your associates, Master Duvalle," Adrie responds happily. "But perhaps another time. I don't entirely trust this 'Walden', either, so I'd better go with Lady Inoue."

She turns around in her seat, calling toward a dark corner. "Vikka, come, kitty." An orange tabby cat emerges from the shadows but is obviously wary of something and not eager to approach much closer.

Adrie looks on with puzzlement. "What's the matter?" She glances around before her eyes settle on the intelligent vixen with the playing cards. "Oh, the fox. Understandable. She's okay, though, she's not a typical canine, sweetie."

The cat still looks skeptical. She has a spark of intelligence to her bearing, but it's far less than what the vixen has exhibited. The cat sits, unwilling to come closer to the fox, but continues to stare at Adrie.

Adrie Everbright

Daveheart
2013-07-02, 04:09 PM
The bard picks up his stuff, the lute on his right shoulder, and stands up.
Then, waving his left hand, leaves the room.

SiuiS
2013-07-03, 01:31 AM
Betrys signals the waitress for a full round of drinks, blessed in some slap-dash superstitious ritual while they sit in a clump in the table by a few passes of her hand over the top. Setting one aside for the now-exuant bard and even pouring one into a bowl for the fox, she smiles a toast around the table and holds up her mug, waiting.

"To adventures in good company?"

Wdwune
2013-07-03, 10:27 AM
Xardis

The genasi was about to leave the room as well, but then the dryad invited a round for everyone and Xardis decided to go back to his seat and stay. Why not? Another round of ale was enough to convince him that he'd still had to know more about his teammates. The dryad, for instance. What if they were to work together? Xardis knew few things about Betrys besides the obvious fact that she wielded an axe and she was a creative dryad. "A gifted tactical mind," he thought.

When the waitress arrived with mugs, Xardis rised it slightly in response to Betrys' toast. "To success."

Back in Thay, he was not used to toasts since his life in those dreaded lands was harsh. He had no way to participate in a toast to an Undead Prince or a Gnollish Chieftain.

This new life was like the eye of the hurricane to him. "A toast to that," he thought. "A toast to victory. To patience."

He felt the presence of his sword by his side. "And to unbreakable bonds."

Battlemage
2013-07-03, 10:55 AM
Khoren Bloodsnow

Khoren laughs and then raises his mug with a grin.

"To glorious battle!"

He downs it in one shot and looks around for the waitress to get another one.

HopeHubris
2013-07-03, 11:59 AM
"I never say no to free drinks"
Askus says as he quaffs the proffered beverage
"To ale!"

LtPowers
2013-07-03, 02:43 PM
Adrie is happy to celebrate with the others, but she follows Kaede if the ronin leaves to ask Walden if he has anything they can take to the Radiant Heart.

Adrie Everbright

mistformsquirrl
2013-07-04, 06:12 AM
Kaede quietly exits the room, looking for Walden.

Philemonite
2013-07-05, 05:13 AM
Before Kaede has a chance to look for Walden, he appears just in time, as if he was waiting for them to finish. When he sees that they are all sitting and drinking he smiles.
"I take it that your preparations are finished?"

LtPowers
2013-07-06, 08:31 AM
"Nearly," says Adrie. "Walden, is there anything of substance that you have that we could take to the Radiant Heart? A date on which suspicious activity was recorded? A name of an eyewitness? Anything we could use as leverage would help tremendously."

Adrie Everbright

Philemonite
2013-07-06, 10:19 AM
"I have a story that might help. Few months ago Lord Fardon, a senior knight of the Order, received ten coins. This were no ordinary coins, they were forged by the witches of Rashemen. They were a gift, a sign of gratitude. Seldor was the man who delivered those coins, since he was passing by. Lord Fardon is very proud of them, and he shows them to everyone he can. They are protected by powerful magic, so removing one of them would be almost impossible. Rumors say that one of those coins is a fake. However, I know that at least three are fake, and two real coins are in Saldor's possession. Would that be enough, or do you need more?"

LtPowers
2013-07-08, 07:48 PM
Adrie ponders. This is not her area of expertise. But maybe Derek could make use of this information. "Well, it's something at least. Thank you, Walden. We'll do our best, but I think the other tactics will bear more fruit."

Adrie Everbright

mistformsquirrl
2013-07-09, 04:59 PM
Kaede mulls over what Walden has said, but does not speak immediately.

LtPowers
2013-07-09, 08:47 PM
Adrie suddenly blinks as she processes what Walden said.

"Wait, you said Saldor had two. Where's the third?"

Adrie Everbright

Philemonite
2013-07-10, 06:09 AM
Walden's smile fades for a moment, and he seems deep in his thoughts. This only last for a second and most people don't even notice it. As his smile returns he reaches into his pocket.
"The third one is right in front of you." He says as the coin lands on the table.

LtPowers
2013-07-10, 09:43 AM
"You, sir, are a mystery," Adrie smiles. "You know more than you let on. I hope, if we succeed in our tasks, that you see fit to trust us with your secrets."

She pockets the coin. Left unsaid is her concern that what Walden isn't telling them may very well come to harm them.

Adrie Everbright

Philemonite
2013-09-09, 03:41 AM
As you return to the tavern the owner greats you with a warm smile.
"Your friend is upstairs, but he asked not to be disturbed, he has company. They should be down soon."
His gaze then falls on the merchant.
"Except for you master Daneir, they are expecting you."

Wdwune
2013-09-09, 01:15 PM
Xardis

The light-armored genasi grabs Daneir by the shoulder. "Tell Walden we're expecting him," he whispers at him. "He asked us to bring you here and that's what we've done."

After that, he sits by a chair nearby and invites Askus to sit. When he sees the rest of the team, he speaks at them. "So, how did it go?"

LtPowers
2013-09-10, 08:44 AM
"Not as successfully as your task, it seems," Adrie comments with amazement. "They'll look into it if the coin proves to be real, but I think Daneir's firsthand testimony would be far more likely to spur them to action. It still seems like it would've been better to wait until after the rescue to approach the Order."

She shrugs. "I trust you kept the death and destruction to a minimum?" she asks with a hopeful smile.

Adrie Everbright

is_Wayside
2013-09-18, 03:32 AM
Silvery and scratched scales, tattered black vestments, and a hopeful-yet-cautious demeanor describe the seemingly-timid Kobold that just entered into the Five Flagons Inn. A bird's word told him to come here. Told him that a being named Walden would help him. To help him forget about his home, to forget about his profession, to forget about his passions - all previously found in Waterdeep. But he couldn't be there anymore. The world was calling, and home was sending him away.

Admittedly, Kye knew not the face of the Goliath who would find him. Nor did he have any idea how he would be working for said Goliath. Or even if this was really a good idea. Or legal. All he knew was to try to look tough - for a Kobold, anyway - and to wait to be given work and a sign. And maybe if he was lucky, a new future.

Taking a deep and silent sigh, he waited patiently to be spoken t -

"Which've you tall folk's Walden?"

Never mind. You can't really get around in life if you keep waiting on everyone else, right?

SiuiS
2013-09-18, 04:23 AM
Betrys scoops the book from the shadowy corner on her way back to the inn, pressin it quietly into the folds of her cloak as she goes.

"I trust you kept the death and destruction to a minimum?" she asks with a hopeful smile.

Only because you asked~!

The dryad smooths open the oaken door, left ajar and swinging slowly closed by a late-night, fleeing patron. The hinges barely protest; perhaps they know how lucky they are to be graced by her fingers, whorled with the self-same grain as the door.

She crosses the inn floor, the people around her perking up as though struck by a breath of fresh air, a ray of light. Her smile, the twinkle of her eyes is infectious even to those who do not directly see her. Betrys moves stridently amidst the musical chinking of maile to the table and grasps both of Adrie's hands in brief greeting, before letting them fall to the priest's sides once more. There is the refreshing presence of petrichor in the air.

Have you done well on your errand? And I see new faces, have we gathered more? she asks merrily, looking about. I do hope I shan't be needing to repeat my feat with the coins! I fear once was enough, for me. I haven't enough deceit in me to try that again~! Have you met Shorty, or the Captain? Are they here?

LtPowers
2013-09-18, 09:00 AM
Adrie blinks, pleasantly surprised. "I'm afraid I haven't had the pleasure yet... at least, I don't think so. Our task was a moderate success, but since Daneir has been rescued, and (I presume) hard evidence found at the Roenal estate, I think the proper wheels have all been set in motion."

As much to the Kobold as to Betrys, she explains, "Walden is upstairs. We expect he'll be joining us shortly."

Adrie Everbright

Jawdan
2013-09-19, 12:12 AM
"Ack, aye. 'Ere I be." He sidled up to Betrys side, the side of his arm barely touching hers. His eyes were sliding restlessly at the patrons of the bar, years on a ship surrounded by pirates had made him wary. Dextrous fingers coveted the wooden finish of the crossbow on his belt. "Shorteh be 'bout."

To Adrie he mumbles, "When be ya reckoning of us gettin' us gold?"

SiuiS
2013-09-19, 02:47 AM
Betrys nods to the priestess, glancing apologetically to the kobold for moving past him (or her? Kobolds were not a creature of familiarity) before speaking. We did recover something of use, though not all of it. There was also spectre, passing queer. A warning or more. And it is with a grin, after he moves closer, she continues And this would be Captain Iron, I believe? Captain, this is Adrie. She is one of our compatriots, and... Well, let the rest introduce themselves. I fear I am bad with names.

The dryad sits, resting pole axe against the table and pulling back her hood, curls of hair like fine strands of willow leaves cascading out in a fluff as she sits.

Philemonite
2013-09-19, 05:58 AM
Before you have a chance to introduce yourselves Walden appears on the stairs followed by some very strange company.
The first one you notice is a blond man, or more accurate a boy, no more then 25 years old. With his radiant smile and cheerful demeanor he looks like someone who barely stepped into his third decade of life. As his gaze passes over you you get a strange feeling, as if someone is peering into your soul. He gives you a warm smile, as if he was trying to calm you down.
The next person to come down is a woman in a flowy pink dress. Her dress, her posture, her every step... Everything about her just screams elegance and nobility, but there is something hiding in her eyes. You have a feeling it's better not to know what.
A figure that follows them is cloaked and hooded and you think it's better not to know anything about it.
Two more men follow them. Their faces are so similar you think they could be twins, but their outfits and demeanors are completely different. One of them is wearing a robe and has an air of mysticism about him. The other wears a heavy armor and has a commanding presence.
The last person seams the most out of place. She keeps turning around as if everything is new to her. Even her armor that is decorated with flowers and vines look out of place.

"I am pleased to see you have all returned. I presume your missions were successful?" Walden asks, not even trying to introduce his "friends".

Jawdan
2013-09-19, 06:24 AM
The captain nodded his greetings to Adrie, after Betrys introduced him. As the interesting newcomers walked down the stairs, the Captain's eyes narrowed.

He reached his arm around Betrys back, hidden from Walden and his 'friends', but kept his left on a crossbow. Iron placed his palm on her back, and tapped, with great precision and meaning, seven times.

Captain leant in, angling his mouth to her ear and out of sight of the 'friends'. "Don't mention the spectre, again." It was in a warning whispering tone, and he sounded worried.

LtPowers
2013-09-19, 08:43 AM
Adrie watches Walden's compatriots closely. She has a feeling their identities will be important in the future, if not immediately. They seem benign enough, but Walden keeps his information close to his vest, and there must be a reason why. She's determined to find out... eventually.

Take 10 on any Insight checks deemed necessary, for a 21.

With Walden, though, she gets right down to it. "Lord Queldon promised to look into the authenticity of the coin you gave us, but he still seemed skeptical... and not in much of a hurry."

Adrie Everbright

Jawdan
2013-09-19, 09:14 PM
The pirates face whitens as realisation strikes further into his heart. His hidden hand clenched on the clothing of Betrys, and his knuckles pale around the crossbow.

His knees buckle, but he thinks better of it and stays standing. His eyes going from those in front to the ground in rapid succession.

is_Wayside
2013-09-20, 01:05 AM
Kye stares at Walden and the odd group of people who follow him down the stairs. Maybe these are other people working for Walden?

Whatever. Not important.

Kye keeps staring, seemingly lost in space.

Felhammer
2013-09-20, 02:15 AM
SHORTY

The Gnome is very hesitant about these backroom bargains, deals and meetings. Life in this fetid city had proven to him that life was cheap, especially for those who were used to give their betters a leg up in their politicking and machinations. The Gnome, with blue eyes and milk-chocolate hair, does not greet anyone, instead allowing his eyes to drift from one new individual to the next. At times, his eyes part focus, which allows him the ability to stare at two different individuals at the same time. Shorty stays close to his two companions, for he knew they were at least as trustworthy for as far as the weak-limbed man could throw them, which was a far sight more than he could say for any of these other strangers. He heard talk of payment and pats on the back for a job well done but such words were lost on the Psion, who was far more concerned with getting his cut and leaving this place for he had no wish to be slaughtered in a den full of quint wanderers, peculiar squatters and all the other disreputable transients their employer hired.

Wdwune
2013-09-20, 12:05 PM
Xardis of Thay

The armored genasi just stands still near the wall, staring at Walden and his escort.

He replies in his usual manner. "Successful, yes..." he says. "Daneir is safe now, is he?", he adds as he shruggs.

His stare crosses inquisitively with the newcomers. He just rises an eyebrow, but says nothing.

Philemonite
2013-09-20, 02:19 PM
Trying to avoid all the unasked questions, Walden addressed the genasi.
"He is relatively safe, although that bump in the head didn't help. He will be down soon."
The cleric was next on Walden's list and he bowed slightly to her, trying to show some respect.
"I have already been informed of your success Lady Everbright. I must confess I did not have high hopes for that mission, but I am glad you proved me wrong. It is a shame you had to use the coin, but it is an acceptable cost. I assure you that the coin is genuine, your honour will remain intact.
And your standing with the Order will improve." He added with a childish smile.
"What about the infiltration mission?" He asks looking at Betrys. "Anything interesting to report?"

Marc_In_Da_Room
2013-09-20, 03:03 PM
LUCEN VALA

Stood in the corner of the room, was a tall, thin, hooded man. His long grey cloak covering him from head to toe. The arms of the cloak seemed to have been ripped off; revealing a pair of skinny white arms crossed and showing brown leather gloves. The only part of his face that can be seen clearly are a pair of gleaming amber eyes.

Felhammer
2013-09-20, 03:28 PM
SHORTY

Snapping out of his fit of paranoia, the Gnome quickly blurts out, "We got the information. Yes, we found the information you were looking for. Nothing else. Nothing at all. Nope, nada, zip, zero, zippo. Just the information!"

Philemonite
2013-09-22, 12:00 PM
"Information is the most powerful resource, it is extremely valuable. And you probably got more information then you think." He added while winking at Shorty.
His face turns more serious when he continues. "As per our agreement, you all get 100 gold pieces and a little something extra. If you want to leave now is the right time. If you are going to stay I can promise a few secrets and a lot more unanswered questions. And a new mission."

SiuiS
2013-09-23, 01:59 AM
"What about the infiltration mission?" He asks looking at Betrys. "Anything interesting to report?"

Nothing of real interest, no. she responds, without guile, and perhaps, jut a little jaded by the ubiquitous nature of magic in her past.

"Information is the most powerful resource, it is extremely valuable. And you probably got more information then you think." He added while winking at Shorty.
His face turns more serious when he continues. "As per our agreement, you all get 100 gold pieces and a little something extra. If you want to leave now is the right time. If you are going to stay I can promise a few secrets and a lot more unanswered questions. And a new mission."

Mystery? Why, Walden, how could a lady refuse?

Jawdan
2013-09-23, 05:40 AM
The captain steadied when he realised he must have over-reacted.

So Betrys was ready to keep working, and the gold was definitely worth the work he'd had to put in - he couldn't say no, each job was gold to get closer to his ship.

"So, Shorteh, what ya reckon, matey?" Before hearing his response, the glint of a symbol caught his eye from the neck of the youthful man.

"Eh, priest, what ye do when ye get old, eh?" He laughed blatantly, "Mus' be a shor' gig workin' for ye god of youth, eh?"

Marc_In_Da_Room
2013-09-23, 07:18 AM
Lucen uncrossed his arms and walked over to Walden, keeping his hood up as he does so.

"Is your name Walden?", he asks in his usual deep, elongated speech, "I have been told I would find you here".

Wdwune
2013-09-23, 09:32 AM
Xardis

The genasi warrior just stands at his place near a wall and from there he looks inquisitively at Walden. "I'm still in," he mutters with a scowl.

nersxe
2013-09-23, 10:05 AM
Samael

"Hail, herald," Samael approaches Walden, head held high and dark eyes unmoving from the other man's eyes. "I have answered your call, and stand ready to hear the offer."

Of a middle height, and far too well-tanned for a man using such pretentious language, Samael wears a dark leather longcoat without a single weapon visible. His backpack is made of a similar sort of leather, and while it has the bedroll typical of travellers, it doesn't seem to be stuffed to the brim the way most adventurers' backpacks are.

Madras
2013-09-23, 10:16 AM
Elessar quietly entered the Inn, having heard news of gold if he came. Even one such as he was no immune to the costs of travel and the monk knew it would be helpful to get more coin before heading further North. The bronzed, golden haired Elf looked about calmly before hearing the name Walden being spoken, as well as seeing someone address a man about an offer. It seemed sensible enough that this was the news he had heard of.

"I as well." Was the simple statement Elessar made as he moved towards the mysterious figure, dressed in simple blacks with a spear strapped to his back.

LtPowers
2013-09-23, 10:18 AM
"Eh, priest, what ye do when ye get old, eh?" He laughed blatantly, "Mus' be a shor' gig workin' for ye god of youth, eh?"

"My dear Captain; let's not be rude," Adrie admonishes gently, still smiling. "There's more to age than simply counting wrinkles. I've known humans well into their sixth decade who had more vitality and youth than people half their age. Wouldn't you agree, Lord, uh..." She trails off, smiling hopefully at the Lathanderite to fill in the blank.

Adrie Everbright

HopeHubris
2013-09-23, 10:47 AM
Finally done with the drinking he took up as soon as he entered the tavern, Askus staggers over to the others,
"Another job? Ha! If it pays like the first, I'll doo it"

Philemonite
2013-09-25, 09:40 AM
"Yes, I am Walden. I have heard there are few more who have answered my call. You are welcome to join the others as we discuss the next mission. My friends have supplied me with some new information and it should be quite beneficial. The subject is quite sensitive, so you should all head upstairs." His gaze travels from one adventurer to another as if he is calculating how to divide them.
"I hope we have enough space for you all". He adds with a smile.

"There's more to age than simply counting wrinkles. I've known humans well into their sixth decade who had more vitality and youth than people half their age. Wouldn't you agree, Lord, uh..."[/B] She trails off, smiling hopefully at the Lathanderite to fill in the blank.

"Alistair, and I am no Lord, just a simple servant of the Morninglord. It is a pleasure to meet you Lady Everbright, but unfortunately I must leave. Hopefully I will see you soon."
He bows slightly and waits for any response before hastily leaving the tavern with the rest of Walden's friends.

nersxe
2013-09-25, 10:15 AM
Samael

A corner of his mouth turns up in a sneer when the Morninglord is mentioned. He covers it quickly yet not at all well; anyone giving him more than a glance can see his contempt.

He straightens up yet further and nods imperiously. "Lead the way, minion."

Marc_In_Da_Room
2013-09-25, 11:11 AM
LUCEN VALA

With a stroke of his quiver strapped to his back, Lucen made his way upstairs; still keeping his hood up. He had a sudden urge like he wanted to go back outside, for he hates being in small, compact spaces.

LtPowers
2013-09-25, 11:15 AM
It is fortunate for Samael that Adrie's attention is on the Lathanderite. "Indeed, good Dawnbringer. I'm sure we could find a lot to talk about if our schedules allow it. May your way be clear."

She senses the need this band of mercenaries has for her leadership. She also has her own desire to keep tabs on Walden's activities. Even if he does associate with a Dawnbringer, she still didn't trust him. He was too secretive.

So it is that she follows the group upstairs.

Adrie Everbright

zingbobco000
2013-09-25, 11:18 AM
Yaruff

A broad shouldered minotuar enters the Five Flagon Inn. He looks around examing his surroundings

probably useless perception roll, but: 1d20+6

He then walks up the staircase to where the rooms are and tries to find where his companions might be staying.

He opens the letter in his pocket and tries to decipher what it says. He sees writing, Ahhh... it's that one. he thinks, and opens the door.

Red Moldova
2013-09-25, 03:22 PM
Kurtz

Kurtz wanders into the Five Flagon inn, digging into his pocket he pulls out the crumpled up directions he wrote on a shred of cloth. Unraveling it, he studies closely for a second before a flash of understanding crosses his face and he proceeds to walk up the stairs where he had seen a rather large horned fellow head off to not moments before. He stops at the appointed door and knocks. "Hello?"

zingbobco000
2013-09-25, 05:54 PM
The minotuar sees the half-orc and grunts, "We seem to have the same letter, do you know who it is from? It did not come with a name."

He then privately thinks to himself Well, now I know that I I wasn't going crazy when I found this. Praise Bahumat!

is_Wayside
2013-09-25, 07:42 PM
Kye waltzes up the stairs, following Walden as he prepares to discuss this "job" opportunity.

Red Moldova
2013-09-25, 08:33 PM
The minotuar sees the half-orc and grunts, "We seem to have the same letter, do you know who it is from? It did not come with a name."

Kurtz

Kurtz looks curiously at the Minotaur, "I was just talkin to a few friends of mine when they mentioned an opportunity to make some money. I just wrote it down so that I wouldn't get lost, I have trouble remembering directions. If you're here for that as well then we may end up seeing more of each other, my name is Kurtz." The half-orc then extends his caloused hand towards Yaruff.

Turning to see another newcomer he greets Kye with a smile and a handshake. "Hey, you here for that thing with that guy? Us too, my name is Kurtz."

Jawdan
2013-09-25, 08:34 PM
The Captain merely shrugs as Adrie admonishes and the priest ignores. He sticks with Betrys and Shorty when they go upstairs, and eyes off the others in the room.

He hadn't been around when Walden gave the original mission, but he'd completed the first. The body language of the newcomers made it easy to determine who they were. And the Captain didn't like it. They looked a shifty bunch, and the Captain was not trusting.

The former pirate spoke up when he felt Walden's gaze alight on him, "Ack, ya'll be puttin' meh wid Betrys an' Shorteh 'gain, eh?" It was more a gruff demand than a question, and his eyes were unblinking as he stared at Walden, daring him to try and put him with others.

zingbobco000
2013-09-25, 08:50 PM
"I am Yaruff, paladin of the highest order of the platinum dragon. He is my savior, and I give him my prayer."

The minuotuar says in reply to the half orc. But as he sees the Kobold, "Hmmmm, another newcomer. I'm beginning to think that maybe someone wanted us here for a greater purpose of some sort. What is your name, dragon-kin?" He then says as he watches the kobold walk up the stairs.

Jawdan
2013-09-25, 08:58 PM
"Hmm, an' the minotaur, we be takin' 'im, too." The captain nodded to himself, the minotaur looked like he could take a few hits, and he made a fine target. If they got into a scrap, the enemies would likely focus on him, allowing for Captain to slink around the edges and inflict major damage.

And an additional benefit was that those of the holy order were easy to predict. Their motives were simple, and often they were, too.

is_Wayside
2013-09-25, 09:42 PM
Turning to see another newcomer he [Kurtz] greets Kye with a smile and a handshake. "Hey, you here for that thing with that guy? Us too, my name is Kurtz."

" sees the Kobold, "[COLOR="blue"]Hmmmm, another newcomer. I'm beginning to think that maybe someone wanted us here for a greater purpose of some sort. What is your name, dragon-kin?" He then says as he watches the kobold walk up the stairs.

Seeing as Kobolds don't generally get positive attention, Kye concluded that his fame may have proceeded him.

"M' name's Kye. I'm the one they call the 'Famed Plumber' back 'n Waterdeep. Who're you?"

Because these were probably going to be his allies on the field, he might as well be nice. But he wasn't interested in small talk. Or asking questions. Or answering them. Or shaking hands. Or anything to do with snails.

zingbobco000
2013-09-25, 09:49 PM
Yaruff

Yaruff puts on an interesting face, one that seems like a confused bull. "What does a 'famed plumber' such as yourself do, or, what are your talents?"

Yaruff looks around to see if anyone new has entered the hallway that they're in.

Trying to see if Yaruff can spot the captain, perception [roll0]

is_Wayside
2013-09-25, 10:11 PM
Yaruff puts on an interesting face, one that seems like a confused bull. "What does a 'famed plumber' such as yourself do, or, what are your talents?"

"Eh. I'm with the Cellarers' & Plumbers' Guild. I keep the sewers of Waterdeep clean. How 'bout you?"

zingbobco000
2013-09-25, 10:36 PM
Insight DC: 19
Faruff shifts a little at the mention of his past.

"I hail from The, uh... Seven Pillared Hall, I am a paladin of the Platinum Dragon, high priest from a church of Bahamut."

Yes, I know that I'm not the DM, and I'm setting a DC, sorry, DM you can say that edit it.

is_Wayside
2013-09-25, 10:42 PM
"I hail from The, uh... Seven Pillared Hall, I am a paladin of the Platinum Dragon, high priest from a church of Bahamut."

Based on his passive Insight of 10, he doesn't consider that the minotaur is hiding anything - at least not anything important.

"So you're all holy and ****, then?" Kye asks with a slightly playful 'kind-of-a-dragon-to-another-sorta-a-dragon' smirk. This might actually be interesting.

zingbobco000
2013-09-25, 11:15 PM
The minotuar seems disgruntled at the kobolds vulgar language. "Ah, well, yes, but you really shouldn't use that kind of vulgar language, really. For the gods are always watching over us."

is_Wayside
2013-09-26, 12:37 AM
"Ah, well, yes, but you really shouldn't use that kind of vulgar language, really. For the gods are always watching over us."

Kye stared blankly at the minotaur.

"Don't some of 'em cuss, though?"

Jawdan
2013-09-26, 12:50 AM
Tiring of waiting around, the terrifying pirate stuck his head out of the door into the corridor.

"Fo' feth sake, there be plenteh of gods who manners be worse than ye common whore. Now stop ya blabbering, pull ye head ou' ye behin' an' get in here."

Red Moldova
2013-09-26, 02:12 AM
Tiring of waiting around, the terrifying pirate stuck his head out of the door into the corridor.

"Fo' feth sake, there be plenteh of gods who manners be worse than ye common whore. Now stop ya blabbering, pull ye head ou' ye behin' an' get in here."

Kurtz

"Sorry about that, we were just getting acquainted." Kurtz walks past the pirate into the room and waves hello to everyone. "Hey guys, are we late?"

SiuiS
2013-09-26, 02:56 AM
The former pirate spoke up when he felt Walden's gaze alight on him, "Ack, ya'll be puttin' meh wid Betrys an' Shorteh 'gain, eh?" It was more a gruff demand than a question, and his eyes were unblinking as he stared at Walden, daring him to try and put him with others.

Perhaps, but perhaps not, Captain. The dryad admonishes. We are all friends here, or at least bound by contract and coin. It would do good to spread us out - especially because you have need of security, do you not? It is still early, and you can still part company if something goes foul. Now is the time to learn the others ouf our troop. If you stay only with Shorty and myself, then you risk your fears coming true not when they are but feeble shadows, but when they matter.

"Sorry about that, we were just getting acquainted." Kurtz walks past the pirate into the room and waves hello to everyone. "Hey guys, are we late?"

The captain is gently but deftly pulled out of the open door and replaced by a smiling woman's face with golden-brown skin like polished wood in candlelight. She looms like a tree, and brushes a strand of tightly curled hair like a willow's leaves away from her eyes and there is a smell and sensation like the breath of spring's first breeze through the flowers. Hearts lift and aches seem more distant - she is obviously slightly psychic, and when she speaks, it is soft like a thrush's wings. You are not late at all~! Do come in, we are about to begin. Introductions should best wait until after, though, as we decide how to tackle our mission, if you would please~ She moves away to the soft clinking rattle of her chainmail and the hardened sound of leather boots on the wooden floor.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2013-09-26, 03:00 AM
Lucen sat towards the back of the room, folding his arms once more as he watched the pirate shouting down the corridor; laughing in his head but all the while keeping a stern face. His bright amber eyes remain the only feature clearly seen on his face for his hood still remained up.

Jawdan
2013-09-26, 03:17 AM
"Aye, but not if I be dead," He shrugs at Betrys as she smooths over his less than friendly mutterings.

He spots Lucen in the corner catching his stare. Captain hardens his gaze, and a hand strokes the trigger of his crossbow. He takes another seat with his back against a wall, and glares at the newcomers as they straggle in.

Philemonite
2013-09-26, 05:34 AM
"I apologize for interrupting your conversation, but I do not have much time. First, I like to welcome all the newcomers. I am sorry I don't have time for pleasantries, we have a crisis on our hands. That is why you get to witness an event that doesn't happen very often, me getting straight to the point."
Walden pauses for a second, trying to find a balance between entertaining and direct, something he has never done before.
"A few weeks ago we noticed an increased necromantic activities in Amn. We didn't pay any attention, since it appeared to be the work of some apprentices learning the craft. However, our recent reports indicate the presence of a powerful group, probably a lich cult. There is one particular necromancer that has taken residence near the city of Trademeet. He is currently amassing an army of undead and that can not be allowed. Furthermore, Trademeet is already plagued with animal attack, it appear they have angered a local druid grove, but there has been no word from them. To top this off a large force of goblins and orcs has gather in the nearby mountains. Separately, this events are not enough to require our assistance. However, a combined attack would leave Trademeet in ruins. We do not believe that this forces are cooperating, but we do believe someone is directing them from the shadows. We will leave for Trademeet in the morning, and we will attack the day after. Hopefully the force we have gathered is enough, but they are mostly simple soldiers.
You will be split in three groups."
He pauses again to allow his audience to process the information.
"Lady Everbright, you group will be joining with Alistair. Your job will be to neutralize the undead scourge. Local temples will assist us as much as they can, and Alistair will be in command. You are to assist him, but do not let him order you around. You will act independently."
He adds, trying to smile.
"Askus, your group will be in the front lines, your job is to tear through the enemy's ranks. You will be assisting Commander Santori. He can be hard to deal with, but he is one of the best commanders that Amn has."
You can see sweat forming on his forehead as he continues.
"And lastly, Betrys. Your group will assist Lady Leliana. Lady Leliana is quite intuitive, she will be able to provide information about our enemies. Any piece of information will be crucial for the upcoming battle, and I need someone flexible who can exploit that in the middle of battle. You will pick three more to accompany you. The rest will be split among Lady Everbright and Askus. Pick those who are most adaptable."
He pauses once again, trying to figure out if he missed something.
"I will be happy to share what little information I have, but I am in a hurry, so please ask quickly."

Jawdan
2013-09-26, 06:13 AM
The captain listened intently to Walden, absorbing every word. When he finished, he turned to Betrys. "I 'ave the experience ye need whether we be fightin' beast or goblin, which ever mission the Lady represent, I 'ave ya back." He patted his weapons, "Ye shoul' soon know me to be able in a fight, an' I can switch it up as good as any other. An' me have the skill out of battle."

He nodded to her, "Walden wants ye in charge, an' 'e's payin' me wages, so I'll 'appily defer to ye command an' be ye firs' mate if ye'll 'ave me?"

nersxe
2013-09-26, 08:49 AM
Samael

"I will handle the druid grove," Samael said arrogantly, "none of the rest of you could possibly understand what lies nestled in the hearts of those who venerate nature."

SiuiS
2013-09-26, 08:57 AM
Samael

"I will handle the druid grove," Samael said arrogantly, "none of the rest of you could possibly understand what lies nestled in the hearts of those who venerate nature."

Betrys laughs, somewhat harshly, but in good humor. It is a sound like glass and flowing water chocked with ice.

nersxe
2013-09-26, 09:13 AM
Samael

Betrys laughs, somewhat harshly, but in good humor. It is a sound like glass and flowing water chocked with ice.

Samael glowers, but does not confront her. How dare she belittle my commitment and the commitment of others! He thinks to himself self-importantly.

LtPowers
2013-09-26, 09:17 AM
"Well, this certainly explains why you handed us new weapons," Adrie suggests. "Thank you, by the way," she adds, though she doesn't expect her new staff to really get all that much work.

"Lady Betrys, it seems you have first choice," she defers, although she's already inspecting the newcomers to see who she might want on her own team. The Minotaur carrying the Bahamutian symbol was an interesting option, at least.

Adrie Everbright

zingbobco000
2013-09-26, 09:48 AM
Yaruff

"I'll go wherever I'm needed, wherever the gods go, I shall go." The minotuar says.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2013-09-26, 01:13 PM
LUCEN VALA

Lucen watched the three deciding their teams; not fussed about who picks him. Amn, he thought to himself, that's one of the few places I haven't searched. This could work to my advantage.

Wdwune
2013-09-26, 01:18 PM
Xardis of Thay

The genasi nods to Askus and addresses him. "I guess I'm sticking with you again, buddy," he says. "Let's see who else wants to join the front-line squad..."

is_Wayside
2013-09-27, 12:19 AM
Flarnan

"I'll go wherever I'm needed, wherever the gods go, I shall go." The minotuar says.

Pointing at the minotaur, Kye speaks.

"Yeah. Me too. I'll go where his gods need him."

Marc_In_Da_Room
2013-09-28, 09:21 AM
From the back of the room, Lucen stood up and finally lowered his hood; revealing a slim, pointy-faced elf with long flowing silvery-white hair and ears sticking out between two curtains of hair. his bright amber eyes being more distinguished compared to his pale white skin.

"My name", he says in a deep, chilling tone, "is Lucen Vala. I have travelled far and my arrows very rarely miss their targets".

Lucen looks from Betrys to Lady Everbright, and finally to Askus before continuing. Whichever picks me will certainly have a loyal ally.

He then bows to all three before sitting back down; folding his arms once more and piercing Walden with an empty look.

SiuiS
2013-09-28, 01:12 PM
"And lastly, Betrys. Your group will assist Lady Leliana. Lady Leliana is quite intuitive, she will be able to provide information about our enemies. Any piece of information will be crucial for the upcoming battle, and I need someone flexible who can exploit that in the middle of battle. You will pick three more to accompany you. The rest will be split among Lady Everbright and Askus. Pick those who are most adaptable."
He pauses once again, trying to figure out if he missed something.
"I will be happy to share what little information I have, but I am in a hurry, so please ask quickly."

So my own group will be doing espionage and information gathering, for the front lines? Betrys turns her head. Is this correct, lady Leliana?

The dryad steps into the center of the room, turning, taking in the whole. The genasi with his proud bearing. The minotaurs, separated from each other by space in the room, each keeping to the group they knew; separated from the rest by their massive stature. The humans, whatever woodland fae Lucen was, the kobold, the gnome... Quite a group. And missing, too, a fox, the samurai-ko, the speaker with his instruments and gay manner.

A lot of turnover.

Lucen, your talents would be better on the field. I've nothing to help a man who relies on a bow. And we would need to be both able to move in society, and the wild. I know you want to accompany me, but could you do that, Captain? Shorty? Betrys spins again, widdershins to find the two in a ringing of mail like falling rain. She projects curiosity like a cool wind. If you want safety, perhaps ms. Everbright could be your shining guide? She is as trustworthy as I, and would benefit more from your talents, I think?

Lady? Do I have our job's description right?

HopeHubris
2013-09-28, 02:54 PM
"Glad to 'ave yoo back, Xardi, anyone else still teamless? I could use a few more men, I'll take anyone 'slong as they can use a weapon, haha!"
Askus laughs, looking around at the assembled group

Marc_In_Da_Room
2013-09-28, 03:13 PM
Lucen once again bows to Betrys, then looks between Askus and Lady Everbright; wondering who will pick him.

zingbobco000
2013-09-28, 03:21 PM
Yaruff

"I am still teamless."

Red Moldova
2013-09-30, 01:01 AM
Yaruff

"I am still teamless."

Kurtz

"You and me both."

Jawdan
2013-09-30, 01:11 AM
"Aye, Betrys, if 'at be what ya needin' meh for, I can help ye." He nodded to the dryad.

SiuiS
2013-10-01, 01:13 AM
Betrys bites her lower lip in thought, still occupying the center of the room with ease.

Alright. Then, Captain Iron, I will take you with me after all. And if we are to get information on each side, I'll need someone versed in magic, so that would be you, Xardis. And Shorty, I suppose you don't want to let Captain out of your sight?

LtPowers
2013-10-01, 08:49 AM
Adrie nods. "Well, Askus, while I'm sure a war party with two minotaurs leading it would make a fearsome sight on the battlefield, I think I'd like to have the servant of Bahamut on my team, if that's all right with you. And it looks like the Kobold wishes to come along? What are your skills, scaly one?"

She waits for an answer from Kye but otherwise allows Askus to make a choice or two for his party.

Adrie Everbright

HopeHubris
2013-10-01, 10:09 AM
"Ha! Take whoever you need, I'll go with whooever is left, they all seem strong enough, 'specially with me on the team"
Askus bursts out laughing again and waits for the others to finalise their teams

Wdwune
2013-10-01, 10:15 AM
Xardis of Thay

"Alright," the genasi says. "I'll accompany you, Lady Betrys." Then he taps Askus' back. "Good luck."

Xardis' trained skills:
· Arcana
· Athletics
· Endurance
· Intimidate

zingbobco000
2013-10-01, 09:10 PM
Adrie nods. "Well, Askus, while I'm sure a war party with two minotaurs leading it would make a fearsome sight on the battlefield, I think I'd like to have the servant of Bahamut on my team, if that's all right with you. And it looks like the Kobold wishes to come along? What are your skills, scaly one?"

She waits for an answer from Kye but otherwise allows Askus to make a choice or two for his party.

Adrie Everbright

"Good, fellow kin, I am glad to join your party but where do your skills..." His voice fades away as he looks behind the other minotuars and sees a net. He thinks to himself Hmmm, I've never seen a someone with training in a net, I wonder how good he is. His voice then continues from where it left off "It is good to have one of your skills, Bahuamut shall guide us through the battles that we may face."

OOC:
Yaruff's trained skills are: Endurance, Insight, Intimadate, and Religon

LtPowers
2013-10-01, 09:18 PM
"True enough," replies the Joybringer to Askus. "Assuming the young Kobold will be joining us, then, I think I will take the ascetic Elf over there in the corner, and leave the rest for your group."

I'll take Yaruff, Kye, and (assuming Madras is still around) Elessar.

Adrie Everbright

is_Wayside
2013-10-02, 12:26 AM

Adrie Everbright

"Aye. Well. I suppose you could say I'm good with my hands. And getting around. And daggers.

Mostly plumber type stuff."

Kye's trained skills are Acrobatics, Bluff, Thievery, Diplomacy, and Stealth.