PDA

View Full Version : quick question about bless

blelliot
2013-06-23, 02:50 PM
I've aaalways interpreted the spell bless as once you cast it, the effect will work on the targets as long as the spell is active. A fellow player informed me it will only work if the targets remain in the fifty foot radius after the casting, meaning they lose the effct if they move farther than fifty feet from the caster. Which is the truth?

CaladanMoonblad
2013-06-23, 03:02 PM
It (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bless.htm)is a medium duration spell, centered on a 50' radius burst on the caster. The key word is "burst"- it is not continually renewing every round. Once you got tagged with bless, you're "it." So to speak, for the original duration. But you had to be initially in that 50' burst radius to get the magic, not after that round, or before it, but within that 50' burst when it is cast. There is no limit to the number of allies, so battle clerics in a tight infantry formation sounds like a great idea for armies. : )

Anyway, that's my read. GMs may vary, based upon their interpretation.

blelliot
2013-06-23, 03:06 PM
That's how I've always interpreted it. Thank you

nedz
2013-06-23, 03:56 PM
Burst, Emanation, or Spread

Most spells that affect an area function as a burst, an emanation, or a spread. In each case, you select the spell’s point of origin and measure its effect from that point.

A burst spell affects whatever it catches in its area, even including creatures that you can’t see. It can’t affect creatures with total cover from its point of origin (in other words, its effects don’t extend around corners). The default shape for a burst effect is a sphere, but some burst spells are specifically described as cone-shaped. A burst’s area defines how far from the point of origin the spell’s effect extends.

An emanation spell functions like a burst spell, except that the effect continues to radiate from the point of origin for the duration of the spell. Most emanations are cones or spheres.

A spread spell spreads out like a burst but can turn corners. You select the point of origin, and the spell spreads out a given distance in all directions. Figure the area the spell effect fills by taking into account any turns the spell effect takes.

Your friend is wrong — it would have to be an emanation to work as they describe.

TuggyNE
2013-06-23, 06:24 PM
Subjects, Effects, and Areas
If the spell affects creatures directly the result travels with the subjects for the spell’s duration. If the spell creates an effect, the effect lasts for the duration. The effect might move or remain still. Such an effect can be destroyed prior to when its duration ends. If the spell affects an area then the spell stays with that area for its duration. Creatures become subject to the spell when they enter the area and are no longer subject to it when they leave.

Since bless affects its targets directly, its result travels with them for the duration, even outside the initial area.