PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Builder

Garetek
2013-06-23, 03:10 PM
Wizard 1
Ranger x
Scout X
(What ever decides to follow) x

I know it says ranger. But I was thinking, of taking the one level in wizard to start, dropping the familiar for the Immediate Magic Ability in Players Hand book 2,and taking conjuration.

Immediate 10 foot teleport? For Free? As often as I want? and all I loose is a familary(Which I might get rid of also on the Ranger side)

Does that seem to broken?

THe only reason I say that is with Swift hunter My Ranger/Scout Levels Stack. Skirmish requires me to move 10' feet.

Is that even viable? or am I in my sleep deprivation dreaming up stuff?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-06-23, 03:12 PM
PH2 page 68, Immediate Magic can be used a number of times per day equal to your intelligence bonus (minimum 1). It's not unlimited, it's Int bonus times per day.

Garetek
2013-06-23, 03:14 PM
PH2 page 68, Immediate Magic can be used a number of times per day equal to your intelligence bonus (minimum 1). It's not unlimited, it's Int bonus times per day.

Ah thats what I get for not having that book open in front of me.

But still, thats pretty good in my opinion. (makes me a tab bit more stat dependant that I want)

But If used in the manner that I am speaking, I can skirmish while raining arrow death down upon people for the extra damage correct?

Uncle Pine
2013-06-23, 03:19 PM
Immediate metamagic is Int/day: you're probably better off taking Travel Devotion for the extra movement and Sword of the Arcane Order if you want to add some good wizard spellcasting to your Ranger.

Piggy Knowles
2013-06-23, 03:38 PM
It's pretty good - go with the Simple Wizard variant from UA, and trade Scribe Scroll for a fighter feat, too. That means a one level dip gets you Abrupt Jaunt, a fighter feat, and access to the wizard spell list via spell trigger items. Oh, and if you take it right at first level, you can sell your spellbook and end up well above WBL, if you're into that sort of thing.

Still kind of pales compared to a cloistered cleric dip, which will get you Travel Devotion and the turn attempts to fuel it (better than Abrupt Jaunt for a swift hunter), Knowledge Devotion, access to the cleric spell list via spell trigger items, and a third domain that could be used for a bonus feat, access to the wizard spell list via Magic domain, and other bonuses. But the single level wizard dip is still pretty good.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-06-23, 04:14 PM
As others have said, switch the Wizard dip for a Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) dip. Trade the Knowledge domain for Knowledge Devotion (CC), get Travel Devotion (CC) instead of another domain, and take the Undeath domain for Extra Turning to fuel Travel Devotion. Get Night Sticks (LM) for more daily uses of Travel Devotion. Get one rank in each of the six knowledge skills that identifies monsters and you always get a +1 to attack and damage from Knowledge Devotion. Use Wands of Cleric spells.

Big Fau
2013-06-23, 05:48 PM
You can't trigger Skirmish via teleportation.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-23, 11:28 PM
You can't trigger Skirmish via teleportation.

Since there is no explicit mention of this in Complete Adventurer, the CAdv Errata, the 3.5 FAQ, or the Rules Compendium, maybe you could cite a reference for this ruling.

...I was thinking, of taking the one level in wizard to start...

I hope you meant taking one level of scout, then taking whatever else you are planning on dipping. 4x normal skill points at 1st level is a big deal when going from a scout (8 + INT mod) to something like wizard (2 + INT mod). That's a difference of 24 skill points at first level.

Your options at this point also include taking a level of monk and getting your hands on a Sparring Dummy of the Master (Arms & Equipment Guide), or picking up the White Raven Stance "Press the Advantage" (Tome of Battle). Someone else already mentioned the Travel Devotion feat.

Curmudgeon
2013-06-24, 02:28 AM
Since there is no explicit mention of this in Complete Adventurer, the CAdv Errata, the 3.5 FAQ, or the Rules Compendium, maybe you could cite a reference for this ruling.
She deals an extra 1d6 points of damage on all attacks she makes during any round in which she moves at least 10 feet. Since teleportation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleportation) is relocation without movement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_%28physics%29), that puts the kibosh on skirmish activation.
Teleportation is the transfer of matter from one point to another without traversing the physical space between them.
In physics, motion is a change in position of an object with respect to time and its reference point. No time, and no traversal of the space between points, means no movement.

Ashes
2013-06-24, 08:46 AM
Since teleportation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleportation) is relocation without movement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_%28physics%29), that puts the kibosh on skirmish activation. No time, and no traversal of the space between points, means no movement.

That is physics, not D&D.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-24, 08:57 AM
Since teleportation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teleportation) is relocation without movement (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_%28physics%29), that puts the kibosh on skirmish activation. No time, and no traversal of the space between points, means no movement.

In other words, there is no explicit (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/explicit) :smallwink: wording in the 3.5 rules that makes it clear that teleportation effects are not considered movement. Since the definition of the word move can include "to change one's location" and "to change position", I think this was just an opinion being voiced (which I can fully respect) and not a confirmed ruling. I am not saying the opinion is incorrect (since I also don't have a confirmed ruling I can cite that states otherwise). I just think that whenever someone makes a definitive statement like this one ("You can't trigger Skirmish via teleportation.") it is only fair to make clear whether this is an opinion being stated or if the rules, errata, FAQ, or CustServ opinion or whatever is being cited.

PaucaTerrorem
2013-06-24, 12:40 PM
Invoking RAI.

Garetek
2013-06-26, 09:05 PM
Okay, so teleport is out.

Cloistered Cleric seems to be the way to go. Turn attempt to move at speed, knowledge for +1/+1 with devotion and we are good to go. Still moving and shooting, and picking up an extra point of damage along the way.

Now when would you suggest taking it? Level one?

1 Closistered Cleric
-Knowledge Devotion (Feat)
-Travel Devotion (Feat)
-Domains
-Knowledge(Free)
-Undeath (Extra Turning)
-????? (War Maybe for weapon focus in the long bow)
Assuming that, I need to play a human or another race(SH Halfling?) that gives a bonus feat at first level?

Then start taking ranger for the combat styles then scout, and when I quailfy swift hunter to make it all balance together(Minus the one level dip for the movement)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-06-26, 09:11 PM
Okay, so teleport is out.

Cloistered Cleric seems to be the way to go. Turn attempt to move at speed, knowledge for +1/+1 with devotion and we are good to go. Still moving and shooting, and picking up an extra point of damage along the way.

Now when would you suggest taking it? Level one?

1 Closistered Cleric
-Knowledge Devotion (Feat)
-Travel Devotion (Feat)
-Domains
-Knowledge(Free)
-Undeath (Extra Turning)
-????? (War Maybe for weapon focus in the long bow)
Assuming that, I need to play a human or another race(SH Halfling?) that gives a bonus feat at first level?

Then start taking ranger for the combat styles then scout, and when I quailfy swift hunter to make it all balance together(Minus the one level dip for the movement)

You can take a devotion feat in place of a domain. You don't spend feats on Knowledge Devotion and Travel Devotion, you get them instead of the domains by the same name. The only actual domain you get is Undeath.

eggynack
2013-06-26, 09:13 PM
Why are you taking travel devotion as a feat? Just take it as a domain, and trade it out, especially if you don't have all your slots filled. I get the justification for having knowledge devotion and domain though, because the latter fuels the former. Still, between ranger knowledges, cleric knowledges, and the knowledge from knowledge devotion, you're likely to be fine without the domain, so you might want to consider just swapping out knowledge domain for devotion, and using the feat for something else. It looks like you're skipping the part of clerics where you can just swap out domains for devotions straight across, actually, so you should probably consider your build with that in mind.

Garetek
2013-06-26, 09:18 PM
Once again trying to do parts of this without the book open infront of me is killing me.

But this is how I build and it always works out in the end.

Thank you all for the helps now to go read all the rules and tricks that you all are talking about. (Never seen where I can swap domains for devotions)

Curmudgeon
2013-06-26, 09:24 PM
That is physics, not D&D.
It's both. From page 136 of Dungeon Master's Guide:
This section on world-building assumes that your campaign is set in a fairly realistic world. That is to say that while wizards cast spells, deities channel power to clerics, and dragons raze villages, the world is round, the laws of physics are applicable, and most people act like real people. The reason for this assumption is that unless they are told otherwise, this situation is what your players expect.

eggynack
2013-06-26, 09:26 PM
Once again trying to do parts of this without the book open infront of me is killing me.

But this is how I build and it always works out in the end.

Thank you all for the helps now to go read all the rules and tricks that you all are talking about. (Never seen where I can swap domains for devotions)
It's on page 53, under "clerics and domain feats". It's a big part of why dipping cleric is awesome.

Garetek
2013-06-26, 09:46 PM
Okay, read that. Swap and loose spells excetra for the bonus's listed.

Makes more sense now.