PDA

View Full Version : Hinjo has Level 9+ Clerics!

Sunken Valley
2013-06-23, 05:50 PM
As evidenced from 894 (holy symbol on necklace means yes it is cleric). That's only 5 or 6 levels behind OOTS. This person is therefore someone who can cast all the good healing spells bar heal, can cast restoration and can raise dead. Who thinks OOTS should pick up a replacement Cleric off Hinjo if they have the time?

137beth
2013-06-23, 05:53 PM
I do not think they will be getting anyone to "replace" Durkon in the order.

MReav
2013-06-23, 05:54 PM
As evidenced from 894 (holy symbol on necklace means yes it is cleric). That's only 5 or 6 levels behind OOTS. This person is therefore someone who can cast all the good healing spells bar heal, can cast restoration and can raise dead. Who thinks OOTS should pick up a replacement Cleric off Hinjo if they have the time?

How would they get them? They're a desert and an ocean away. Also, Sending is a 4th level cleric spell, meaning they're at least level 7, not 9, and I think you're thinking 893.

AstralFire
2013-06-23, 05:55 PM
"You're a little bit more than half our level!" makes you more likely a liability than a help in a lot of the situations the order will be encountering, especially since most of them probably have not been adventurers in the past.

Plus I just think it'll be narratively cooler if Elan becomes the support healer.

zimmerwald1915
2013-06-23, 05:57 PM
How would they get them? They're a desert and an ocean away. Also, Sending is a 4th level cleric spell, meaning they're at least level 7, not 9, and I think you're thinking 893.
Also also, all the cleric would need to cast sending would be 14 Wisdom and a scroll. She could do that at level 1.

Morty
2013-06-23, 05:59 PM
Taking a detour across half the world to pick up a cleric who might be level 7 (unless they used a scroll) in order to help them fight characters well above level 15 seems like a smashing idea.

Sunken Valley
2013-06-23, 06:03 PM
Also also, all the cleric would need to cast sending would be 14 Wisdom and a scroll. She could do that at level 1.

No, when Nale, Julia and Niue performed their sendings, you can see a little scroll in the hand. This woman is doing it under her own power.

Although, yes she's only 7+. Mistake.

Personally, I think they won't have time.

veti
2013-06-23, 06:14 PM
Hinjo, and more particularly the Azurite refugees, need all the help they can get. He's already sent O-Chul and Lien off on a mission to support the Order. I'm thinking he'd be wilfully neglecting his Azurite charges if he also sent off his highest-level clerics.

chillmynaga
2013-06-23, 07:18 PM
I don't believe that the Order would be mentally ready to replace one of their best friends. I also don't think it would be worth allowing TE and TT to get to Kraagors gate just to pick up a possibly 7th level cleric.

Reddish Mage
2013-06-24, 10:11 PM
I don't know. I'm thinking in the scenario that the order is forced to work without Durkon after this current arc is over (and who knows what is going to happen) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15495898#post15495898) they'll need additional support or they'll be in no better position to defend Kraagor's gate then they are right now to defend Girard's. Of course, they could join with the paladins, or find some yet unknown allies. We know there are other sides out there we don't know about yet.

Squirrel_Token
2013-06-24, 10:46 PM
Personally, I think they won't have time.

Also, again, such a cleric wouldn't be particularly useful against high level and Epic villains.

Snails
2013-06-25, 04:49 PM
When it is down to one final Gate, a lot of parties who have been hanging back will take a seat at the table. An 8thish level cleric is better employed by the Sapphire Guard coordinating the final preparations with Sending spells.

With thoughtful preparation, Elan would do better than an 8th level cleric against the kind of threats the Order is likely to encounter.

LuisDantas
2013-06-25, 09:16 PM
I don't know about a replacement as such, but Belkar at least would greatly benefit from meeting a Cleric (or Paladin) willing to cast Restoration on him, more than once if at all possible.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-06-26, 01:07 AM
He would only need one.

Diadem
2013-06-26, 07:16 AM
People always seem to forget one thing when discussing possible replacements for the OOTS: The OOTS are PCs.

What happens in D&D when a PC dies? Generally the player doesn't pick a NPC to continue playing with. They write a whole new character. Sometimes he GM thinks of some way to introduce the new PC, other times everybody just pretends that person was always there all along. But it won't be an NPC getting promoted to PC status.

JBiddles
2013-06-26, 08:50 AM
^ OOTS doesn't represent a D&D game, as was implied by Belkar's hallucinatory conversation with Shojo. Roy's player didn't get another character when Roy died, so I doubt Durkon will. It would also remove any emotional impact of vampire-Durkon.

One Skunk Todd
2013-06-26, 03:33 PM
I'm probably misremembering but aren't the Azurites just off the coast of the Western Continent?

Anarion
2013-06-26, 10:35 PM
No, when Nale, Julia and Niue performed their sendings, you can see a little scroll in the hand. This woman is doing it under her own power.

I don't think that's conclusive evidence. The Azurites might have, I dunno, a table or something where they put their scrolls instead of holding them.

I don't know about a replacement as such, but Belkar at least would greatly benefit from meeting a Cleric (or Paladin) willing to cast Restoration on him, more than once if at all possible.

If Belkar survives and does something epic, he'll probably get offscreen healing. Big "if" there though.

^ OOTS doesn't represent a D&D game, as was implied by Belkar's hallucinatory conversation with Shojo. Roy's player didn't get another character when Roy died, so I doubt Durkon will. It would also remove any emotional impact of vampire-Durkon.

To further clarify this, it's been stated that "Roy's player" is not a being that exists in this comic.

Bedinsis
2013-06-28, 07:58 PM
Well, he is the ruler of a (once) prominent nation, I'd wager those look to it that they have sufficiently many Sending-capable clerics around.

Anarion
2013-06-29, 12:32 AM
Well, he is the ruler of a (once) prominent nation, I'd wager those look to it that they have sufficiently many Sending-capable clerics around.

That would be a good fallback if Redcloak hadn't fought and killed the head cleric in Azure City Castle and that most of the other clerics were deployed during the battle. The fact that a cleric is capable of casting sending (assuming we are agreed that it's not a scroll) is notable because it's the first confirmation we have that such a person survived the sack of Azure City.

F.Harr
2013-06-30, 12:24 PM
I'm probably misremembering but aren't the Azurites just off the coast of the Western Continent?

I'm pretty sure of that, too. The Azurite emergency base is just there off the Elven territory. They're practically on the way, untless you can't get a boat from Sandsedge (a GREAT name for a town, by the way) to the northern part of the main continent.

veti
2013-06-30, 03:52 PM
What happens in D&D when a PC dies? Generally the player doesn't pick a NPC to continue playing with. They write a whole new character. Sometimes he GM thinks of some way to introduce the new PC, other times everybody just pretends that person was always there all along. But it won't be an NPC getting promoted to PC status.

On the contrary, it often is an NPC getting promoted - possibly temporarily - to PC status.

My belief is, it's already happened once (with Celia). If Durkon is going to be replaced, I imagine something similar would happen again.

(Heh - imagine Hilgya as the new party cleric...)