PDA

View Full Version : Rope Trick dimension question

Farastu
2013-06-23, 07:14 PM
Just wondering if there's anywhere that the extradimensional space rope trick leads up to is described in detail. I've been searching around, but no luck.

GoddessSune
2013-06-23, 07:47 PM
Nope. Nothing to find.

Mutazoia
2013-06-23, 07:50 PM
Just wondering if there's anywhere that the extradimensional space rope trick leads up to is described in detail. I've been searching around, but no luck.

Nope...it's never been described (officially). I always assume that since it's based on the ole' "Indian Rope Trick" trick that the space looks like the inside of a tent made of brightly colord silks, but you could just as well make your own description...perhaps each person casting the spell has a distinct look for the space that's individual to them.

Rabidmuskrat
2013-06-24, 03:43 PM
There has been some suggestions (of DM houserules) that the inside of the rope trick is completely empty. As in completely and utterly empty of anything except the rope, stretching upwards to all infinity. No ground or anything else.

This was more an attempt to stop rope-trick-nova though.

Mutazoia
2013-06-24, 09:17 PM
There has been some suggestions (of DM houserules) that the inside of the rope trick is completely empty. As in completely and utterly empty of anything except the rope, stretching upwards to all infinity. No ground or anything else.

This was more an attempt to stop rope-trick-nova though.

Well the spell description does state there is a size limit on the space, so having it stretch out for ever would be out of the question. Other wise people would try to find some way to store an infinite amount of treasure up there....

Rabidmuskrat
2013-06-25, 02:14 AM
It doesn't have to ACTUALLY stretch into infinity, you just don't get anywhere if you keep climbing up.

supermonkeyjoe
2013-06-25, 02:58 AM
Interesting in that the spell doesn't actually specify that there is any kind of floor to rest on as many people automatically assume, just a 'space'. that would certainly cut down on any resting in dungeons shenanigans if you had to hold on to the rope while you were in the extradimensional space.

Rabidmuskrat
2013-06-25, 07:59 AM
Not really, people suggested hammocks hanging from the rope is some fashion. Basically, unless the dm said 'YOU CAN'T REST HERE! EVER!' players would find some way to rest there.

Mutazoia
2013-06-25, 09:23 AM
Interesting in that the spell doesn't actually specify that there is any kind of floor to rest on as many people automatically assume, just a 'space'. that would certainly cut down on any resting in dungeons shenanigans if you had to hold on to the rope while you were in the extradimensional space.

The rope trick spell was originally designed as an extra demensional resting place.

Rabidmuskrat
2013-06-25, 11:32 AM
'Resting place'? Then why does it last only 1h/level? So it fails in its main purpose until level 8?

I think it was originally designed as a 'Hiding' place.

Mutazoia
2013-06-25, 11:41 AM
'Resting place'? Then why does it last only 1h/level? So it fails in its main purpose until level 8?

I think it was originally designed as a 'Hiding' place.

Because 1hr was enough to stabilize some one in the negative hp's and other basic resting functions...such as sitting around casting healing spells with out worrying about wandering monsters.

Farastu
2013-06-25, 01:15 PM
I do like the idea that its appearance is affected by the caster, that would fit well with my game. Though regardless of what form it takes, of course there's nothing actually useful to be found in the dimension.

I do see it used for resting the most, but at least in Pathfinder now, doing that is not without its danger (since you can no longer bring the rope up for you, intelligent things can find it and get to you). It's also a good way to deal with environmental hazards (there's no shelter, but maybe we can wait out that storm in here). It could be used for a number of other things, but it definitely isn't as great a spell in Pathfinder as in 3.5, and yeah, definitely better at higher levels.

Scow2
2013-06-25, 01:33 PM
I do see it used for resting the most, but at least in Pathfinder now, doing that is not without its danger (since you can no longer bring the rope up for you, intelligent things can find it and get to you). It's also a good way to deal with environmental hazards (there's no shelter, but maybe we can wait out that storm in here). It could be used for a number of other things, but it definitely isn't as great a spell in Pathfinder as in 3.5, and yeah, definitely better at higher levels.Actually, you CAN technically remove the rope from the hole - the spell description contradicts itself in the very next paragraph, if you have 16,000 lbs handy somewhere.