PDA

View Full Version : A Thorn in the Hand IC II

Pages : [1] 2 3

Malak'ai
2013-06-24, 01:38 AM
**New IC Thread**

Simba
2013-06-24, 02:34 AM
Still around, waiting to get back to the group :)

Wordplay
2013-06-24, 04:22 AM
Raif will edge towards the left hand doors, stepping towards it sideways with his back to the wall, waiting until everyone is gathered in the corridor.

Raif glances up at the ceiling from time to time, and the floor as well. Mostly, Raif keeps his eyes on the open door.

Malak'ai
2013-06-26, 05:01 AM
Raif:
The ceiling, walls and floor are in perfect condition.
If you look into the room, you can only just make out the far walls with appear to be just over 100' on a side. The room is totally empty and the floor is covered in a thick layer of dust.

Arranis Thelmos
2013-06-26, 06:32 AM
Halabur keeps his senses peeled, this place seemed eerie--despite his experience growing up underground.

Search [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Listen [roll]1d20+3[/roll

Arranis Thelmos
2013-06-26, 06:33 AM
Apparently I don't listen well. :smallwink:

Listen [roll0]

Arranis Thelmos
2013-06-26, 06:34 AM
Apparently I'm a lousy listener. And roller. :smallbiggrin:

Listen [roll0]

Machuchang
2013-06-26, 05:45 PM
Eleanora walked cautiously along with the rest of the group, trying to stay alert to any peculiar sights or sounds.

Listen:[roll0]
Spot:[roll1]

Malak'ai
2013-06-26, 07:14 PM
Eleanora:
As you walk along you hear the footsteps of the others. And yes, there is dirt under your fingernails. **:smalltongue: hehe**

Halabur:
As you search round, you separate from the others and go down the right hand fork.

You get to the doors and give them a thorough examination. You're not 100% sure, but you think they're made of adamantine, which is strange, because to your knowledge, it's very hard to work, let alone being extremely expensive, so doors this size are mind boggling.
There is a square shaped panel at about shoulder level to you with what faintly looks like a hand print on it.

You only hear the sounds of your friends footfalls and the crackling of the torch in the shadowy hallway.

D_Man_7733
2013-06-27, 05:26 PM
Drayner follows behind Raif, peering down the hallway, watching listening and occassionally attempting to activate his Detect Magic, and getting increasingly frustrated until it works.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Wordplay
2013-06-27, 06:00 PM
Raif walks into the open room, looking carefully for any sign that the dust on the floor has been disturbed, and checking the ceiling.

'It looks as though no-one has been here in a while - everyone stay close'.

Do I need fresh spot and listen? Just in case.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Malak'ai
2013-06-28, 12:43 AM
Drayner:
**Can't think of anything funny at the moment, but you see nothing that isn't obviously visible, or hear anything out of the ordinary.**

Raif:
**No checks needed actually.**
When you step into the room, the dust billows up with every foot fall. It looks as if this room hasn't been used in a very long time, if at all.
There are no sounds out of the ordinary.

Wordplay
2013-06-30, 02:22 PM
Raif looks around to see if he can see any doors or openings. Holding the torch high, Raif tries to estimate the size and shape of the room, and to see if there's anything in the room, or any markings or decorations on the walls.

No-one builds a room without it having a purpose - especially if they have to hack it out of the living rock. So what was this for? Shelter? A cistern? A storehouse...or a trap?

'I cannot see anything in here...noteworthy...perhaps someone could bring a little more light...looks like we need to try the other fork next'.

I suppose a crafty enough illusion could bypass the magic cancelling effect, and hide an exit.

Raif begins to run his mace around the wall to check to see if it's all as solid as it appears.

Malak'ai
2013-06-30, 03:07 PM
Raif:
The room is a rough square just over 100' on a side. There are no markings or symbols.
When your mace touches the wall you hear the clang of metal on stone followed by the gental scrape you'd expect from these two substances.

Wordplay
2013-06-30, 06:15 PM
Search Check [roll0]

Malak'ai
2013-07-01, 12:24 AM
Raif:
You see worked stone. Lots of worked stone. The only thing breaking the the monotony of the stone are the very faint lines where the blocks have be laid together.

Marlowe
2013-07-01, 02:29 AM
Verossa will stoop through only after everyone else (including NPCs) has gone, and then start looking for rocks to reseal the gap behind us. "It might not hold them for long; but still, think of the Golems."

Wordplay
2013-07-01, 10:19 AM
Raif calls back.

'It seems that there is nothing here. Might be a reasonable place to set up camp though if we have to - there's quite a bit of room, and it looks fairly defensible'.

Raif walks back to the corridor.

'We should try the other fork...'

Raif proceeds down the other fork, checking the floor ceiling and walls.

Malak'ai
2013-07-01, 02:29 PM
Raif leaves the empty room and starts to make his way down the other fork. The hallway here looks just like the fork he had been down except the doors at the end of this one is closed tight and Halabur is studying them intently.

Wordplay
2013-07-01, 02:48 PM
'You seem in deep consternation about the portal, Halabur, may I ask what troubles you?'

'I'm a little bothered. I just found a large empty room with no purpose I could discern - who would build such a thing? Have you any idea why the people here fled, or what caused them to do so? For certain, flee they did - the place is thoroughly abandoned, and has been for some time'.

Raif studies the door himself.

'Would you mind if I tried to open it?'

Raif calls back along the corridor.

'I don't suppose any of you have found a gap in the magic cancelling effect by any chance?'

Machuchang
2013-07-01, 04:49 PM
Eleanora followed after Raif as he left the empty room, trying to position herself in such a way that she could see the rest of her companions.

Arranis Thelmos
2013-07-02, 08:57 AM
Halabur turns to face Raif with a blush filling across his face. "Well, I found a handprint and I was debating whether to touch it." He clear his throat and regains his composure, "But on a more serious note, look at these doors--they look like they're made of adamantine! It's a metal that's not only hard to work, but very expensive! I imagine that if we open it--maybe by filling out the handprint?--we'd see what's so important to keep in an expensive cage."

My apologies for my inactivity, I just came back from a family reunion. I didn't say anything about it because I had been assured that there would be Wi-Fi there and my posting activity wouldn't be interfered with. Guess what, there was no Wi-Fi there after all.:smallannoyed: But anyway, my full and sincere apologies.

Wordplay
2013-07-02, 04:08 PM
'Cage'? Raif pauses for a moment...

He steps back for a moment to look the door up and down.

'I think I've heard of adamantium before...a truly miraculous material...let me ask you, what can you think of that could possibly require such measures to protect it...or safeguard it?'.

Raif appears a little pensive.

'Something either very precious, or dangerous, or both. I don't think that we should open this'.

Raif looks back down the corridor.

'Though I'm happy to discuss that with everyone. I think I saw a hole in the floor back there...not the direction we're hoping to go in, I know, but better than nothing. I think that we should check that next'.

Arranis Thelmos
2013-07-02, 04:58 PM
"I do wonder though," Halabur says, "that if it were safeguarding something then it should have better protections than this. I'm willing to give it a try." He looks Raif squarely in the eye, "But naturally I'd appreciate it if the group stood a nice distance away, in case we end up with Gnome Flambé."

Wordplay
2013-07-02, 06:41 PM
'Very noble of you. Consider this, however. Somewhere in this complex is a source of apparently limitless golems. If they were to find a way out, or indeed, if there were something similar, it would ravage the surrounding peoples. Worse, it could be turned to the hands of the Covenant...'

'My point is, we're not only gambling with our own lives here. That said, I do think it is worth considering. Shall we put it to the group?'

Raif informs everyone who hasn't already heard of the dilemma - to try and open the door and risk letting out anything behind it...or to leave it and risk losing a way out.

'Personally, I think we should try the hole in the floor back there first, and then, if that leads to a dead end and nothing else presents itself, attempt the adamantium door'.

D_Man_7733
2013-07-02, 07:05 PM
Drayner looks over to Raif as he returns and relays the information. "I haven't been able to find a gap in whatever is nullifying our magic, but until we can fix that we're at a disadvantage if we run into trouble." Cursing his uselessness under his breath he thinks of where whatever is causing the field to block their magic could be located and anything that might help them find it.

"Does the handprint on the door seem magical? Because that may be the gap we need in order to get out or refresh supplies"

Intelligence: [roll0]
and Arcana for Golems and the door with the handprint
[roll1]

Malak'ai
2013-07-03, 12:33 AM
Drayner:
Due to having no idea of the size and layout of the facility, you conclude that the source of the "Anti-Magic Field" could be anywhere.

After taking a look at the doors and the hand print, you conclude that the hand print if too small for anyone but Halabur.
As for the Golems, you know that many types are weak against adamantine.

Wordplay
2013-07-03, 10:39 AM
'I'm not sure - have a look for yourself if you like'.

Raif holds the torch so Drayner can have a good look at the hand-mark on the door.

'If we do decide to try and open it, I agree with Halabur that he should be the one to touch it, if he is willing. If gnomes built this place, then a gnome probably has less chance of setting off any methods used to secure it that might have...untoward consequences'.

Once Drayner's had a good look, Raif walks back to the hole in the ground. Kneeling by it, Raif holds the torch close, and peers down into the hole.

Malak'ai
2013-07-04, 01:49 AM
When looking down the hole, Raif can see more stonework like that in this hallway.
The stone slabs of the floor only appear to be a couple of inches thick here with about a foot of hard packed dirt between them and their counterparts at the bottom of the hole.
From there it is another 15 or so feet to the floor.
You conclude that there is another hallway, or even room, under this corridor.

Arranis Thelmos
2013-07-04, 08:27 AM
Halabur looks over the imprint a little before giving a little sigh, "Well, I'm willing. Stand back everyone, I'm going to make some magic!" he says as he presses the imprint.

Malak'ai
2013-07-04, 09:39 AM
As Halabur's hand presses against the palmprint on the door, it depresses an inch or so.
Suddenly loud metallic snapping sounds can be heard, then with a heavy sigh, the doors start to open slowly.
Once fully open, you see another large room the same as the last, except fr one thig. This room is full. From wall to wall the room is packed with Golems. Ten large metal figures stare out at you from empty, black holes where their eyes would be. You can clearly make out another 3 rows behid them, and guessing from the last vault, theres likely to be more.
The Golems are still and sient, as if awaiting something.

Wordplay
2013-07-04, 10:01 AM
'Wait Halabur no! I thought we were going to discuss this - there's another way....there's a path just down...'.

Raif runs around the corner, and sees Halabur standing in front of goodness knows how many golems.

'Oh...'

The normally stoic cleric reacts with astonishment, and fear.

'Uhh...we need some help here...'

He pauses.

'Funny they don't seem to be moving, it's as if they're awaiting instruction....'

Raif tries something.

'Hey, golems! Listen to me. Dig us out!'

Malak'ai
2013-07-04, 10:08 AM
The metal figres remain still. The dust that covers them settling again after the doors opening.

Wordplay
2013-07-04, 10:55 AM
Raif looks a little abashed.

'Well, it was worth a try. Now at least we have an idea as to where the golems were coming from'.

Raif enters the room, feels his way past the golems, and looks for anything that might give him a clue as to the origin of the golems, a way out, or a way to command the golems.

Search [roll0]

Arranis Thelmos
2013-07-04, 11:20 AM
Halabur turns pale as he looks over the horde of golems. "...Fascinating." he sighs in relief. Then his eyes perk up, "Maybe there's a way we can control these golems! They'd make a great boon for the Alliance!"

Knowledge Arcana to figure out how to activate them: [roll0]

Marlowe
2013-07-04, 01:50 PM
Verossa has been very quietly and politely trying to get to the front to figure out what's going on. When she does, she puts a face to her hands. "Rely on Captain Underpants to unshackle a disaster waiting to happen; well. Regardless of this; and I'm not saying that is is something that isn't vital; has anyone tried to figure out where the breeze is coming from?"

Malak'ai
2013-07-04, 03:09 PM
Halabur:
You remember that with Golems there is normally some sort of control device. These devices could be anything from a ring to some giant machine.

Raif:
When you step into the room you find there is a 5' space between the front wall and the first line of Golems feet.
On the inside of the front wall are 2 shelves (**They look similar to spice racks. A flat base with a little bar slightly higher up going across the front to stop things falling out.**), one on either side of the doorway. They are sperated into 5 small compartments each, and in each compartment are short iron rods. Each of the rods is a foot long and inscribed with symbols equal distance along them.

Wordplay
2013-07-04, 03:32 PM
'Breeze? I think that was just the air being disturbed when we opened the door... see, the dust's settling now - can you feel a breeze Verossa?'

Raif peers at the symbols intently, trying to decipher them.

'I think everyone should come over and take a look at this - I think that I've found a control mechanism for all these golems. As a last resort we could try to use them to dig ourselves out'.

'Halabur, you can look, but this time, please don't touch - I do not wish to be ripped apart by golems...'

D_Man_7733
2013-07-05, 09:39 PM
Stepping into the room, Drayner attempts to activate his Magical Detection ability waiting to see if his powers had returned before stepping too far into the room.

Activating "Detect Magic"

Malak'ai
2013-07-05, 10:32 PM
Drayner:
You blink a few times but your vision doesn't change. It's starting to make you anxious and just a little angry.

D_Man_7733
2013-07-07, 12:36 AM
Drayner scowls and lets out a curse under his breath before speaking,"The magic blocking is still in effect in here, so I'm not sure if the Golems can activate or not, although the adamantine doors seem to reflect they can" hesistant to continue in, Drayner looks for a way to quickly close the doors if the worst should happen (besides just pulling them shut).

Search: [roll0]

Malak'ai
2013-07-07, 12:54 AM
Drayner:
Looking up and down the doors you see nothing that could be used as a door handle. You can't even see any hinges.

Arranis Thelmos
2013-07-07, 09:00 AM
Halabur goes over to inspect the device Raif found. He leans in to look--but not touch. "Well... whatever it is it looks like it does something important." He says as he searches the vast corridors of his mind to identify the object.

Knowledge Arcana [roll0]

Wordplay
2013-07-07, 03:06 PM
'I'm pretty sure it controls the golems, but I'm not sure how to activate it...'

Raif racks his memory.

Knowledge Arcana [roll0]

Marlowe
2013-07-07, 03:13 PM
Verossa grinds her teeth; "Sometimes you could slap me over the face with your morning kipper, and I'd just be wondering where the smell came from; but no, I don't feel a breeze right now.

"However, consider that other golems were walking around just fine in this...magic-sucking thing. I don't think we should take it on faith that they're harmless"

[OOC: Golems work fine in AMFs. They're classed as creatures. It's complicated and makes no sense, but it's the rules. An AMF would stop you creating a Golem, but doesn't stop one already created from acting and following i's orders

Also, I'll be away to the middle of nowhere for the next few days. School trip. In Central Asia. Use your imagination. I wish I'd brought a weapon.]

Malak'ai
2013-07-08, 02:18 AM
Halabur:
Looking at the symbols you can't help but laugh. They are old Gnomish runes for numbers. These ones start at 1500. With 10 numbers on each rod, you figure that there must be around 1600 Golems in this facility.

You just hope that apart from the ones Ventera was 'playing' with, the others are like these ones.

Raif:
To the best of your knowledge, you figure each rod is attuned to certain Golems. The symbols on the rods must denote which ones, but you can't seem to figure out their meanings.

Verossa (Or whoever ends up looking after her while Marlowe is away):
The breeze does seem to have stopped for the moment, but the air does seem a little fresher in this part of the hallway.

**Marlowe:
Yep, I'm an idiot... I totally forgot I had said there was a breeze coming from this direction :smalleek:. Feel free to smack me upside the head.**

Wordplay
2013-07-08, 11:18 AM
'Alright, well we've found the golem control mechanism...Comsaro - are these the same as the golems you've been fighting for the past few days? There was another hall like this one, but empty...how many golems would you say that you have had to fight?'

Raif Clearsight starts counting the golems in the room. If they're standing in a regular pattern he saves time by counting the dimensions and multiplying appropriately to find the result.

Raif suddenly adds.

'I think we should leave these controls well alone...and try the hole in the tunnel back there...'

'This is most disturbing. I cannot see rhyme nor reason in fashioning this place, nor in crafting so many golems only to seal them up... It's as though this is the remnant of a losing side in a war... could the golems have been ordered to fashion the place and to seal themselves in?'

Raif smacks his head with the palm of his hand.

'Of course - that's how our exit was obscured - the golems threw up a wall and refashioned the place behind it...if I'm right it means that there is someone down here who is seeking to frustrate our efforts to escape...and they seem bent on driving us down that hole...this whole place, beginning with the mechanism hidden in the pool, has the feel of an elaborate trap...to catch us specifically'.

Raif ponders.

'That means whatever in that hole is something designed to finish us...'.

'The only way to circumvent it may be to deal with the anti-magic field - as Verossa calls it. Whoever set this up clearly wasn't prepared to deal with our magical abilities'.

'They probably also have control over the golems...I'm tempted to suggest that we destroy them, so that they cannot be used against us later...but I fear that if we do that, they may seek to preserve themselves - by attacking us...'

Arranis Thelmos
2013-07-10, 09:03 PM
Halabur listens intently to Raif's musings before piping up, "Although I find that line of thought of disturbing, you may be right there. I suppose in our conversations with Tahlumary's former companions they were convinced he left them and did something to Nialese, who was in fine health when we met her. She was an aide of some variety." He pauses. "...I guess that in itself implies something wrong with either the chain of command or flow of information."

He chuckles, "What a mystery, I wish I had the time to think on it, but I suppose immediate matters are more pressing. Like how do we get out of this little mousetrap?

Now this may be relevant, but those rods are covered with the old Gnomish numbering system, and it seems to suggest that there, at one time at least, used to be about 1600 golems held within facility."

Machuchang
2013-07-11, 01:01 AM
"1600?!" Eleanora exclaimed. "If that is the case, then there are far too many golems here for us to merely fight our way out." She let out a small sigh, before resting her chin on her hand. "If our situation is as you say, Father Clearsight, then we are in dire straights indeed, for I can foresee no other course of action than to descend into the hole. In case there is something down there fit to destroy us, perhaps we should lower one member of our party ahead of the others, in order to assess the situation. If there is indeed a threat lurking within, we could likely pull our scout to safety."

The dame furrowed her brow, scrunching her face.

"I will admit that my plan feels half-addled, however," She said finally, her voice resigned. "I fear that my contributions in this matter are of little use."

Wordplay
2013-07-11, 07:54 AM
'Nay m'Lady, you are too harsh upon yourself...and admittedly, my deductions do leave something wanting...for example, why did our foe not simply turn the golems on us if they wished to destroy us...'

'Unless...the golems were prevented from taking life...or only taking life under some circumstances'.

Raif Clearsight looks a little thoughtful.

'The crux of the matter is as you say Halabur. Our mission was compromised, as was that of Lord Talhruamy's companions. Either Talhruamy is a traitor, or there is a spy or traitor capable of impersonating him well enough that his long time companions could not tell the difference - which is not impossible - he has a twin brother I believe'.

'Of course the third possibility is Comsaro and his friends are not what they seem, and we were betrayed independently. I do not believe that - for they would have been able to defeat us by now, had they wished it, and it seems too much of a co-incidence'.

'Well, unless we wish to tamper with the controls, I fear that there's nothing for it but to investigate the hole. Shall we?'

Raif returns up the corridor to the hole and tells Comsaro and his companions of what they've found. Raif asks Halabur to try and seal the door to the room of the iron golems.

Arranis Thelmos
2013-07-11, 03:56 PM
Halabur complies and seals the door.

Wordplay
2013-07-11, 04:45 PM
'...So that is about the size of it'. finishes Clearsight.

'Despite the risks, I think we should explore this hole'.

Since we have no magic, I'd suggest the tougher fighters lead, and bring up the rear. Masters Drayner and Halabur should stick to the middle where they can back us up with ranged weapons'.

'I will gladly pitch in with my mace, but I know I am far from a great fighter'.

Machuchang
2013-07-11, 05:09 PM
Eleanora nodded.

"Shall I take the lead, then?"

D_Man_7733
2013-07-12, 12:43 AM
Following everyone out of the room, he stays by Halabur waiting for the gnome to close the door before following everyone back to the hole. Once done he meets up with Raif and Eleanora adding only "No complaints here" as he follows his fellows down the fissure.

Malak'ai
2013-07-12, 01:01 AM
You all reach the floor of the lower level with the aid of a rope held by Ventera.
Eleanora and Verossa in the lead, Drayner and Halaban next in line with Raif bringing up the rear.

You are now in another hallway. This one narrower than the last, but just as high.
You can hear noises coming from both directions. From behind you (Raif's direction) you hear the grinding of stone on stone, with sudden plinks as if metal is bouncing off the stone.
From in front of you (Eleanora and Verossa's direction) you hear a whirring sound with bings and bongs of gongs just being audible.

Arranis Thelmos
2013-07-12, 08:14 AM
Halabur shivers at the strange noises, That doesn't sound like a golem ought to. Maybe it's a control chamber for the golems?
... Or maybe these Gnomes golems covered their golems with bells and cymbals for humor's sake. ...Say, that'd actually be pretty funny! Halabur things as a grin spreads across his face.

Marlowe
2013-07-12, 09:07 AM
[BACK! From the land of sunshine, toads, and mosquitos. And babysitting little children.

And the winning team was comprised mainly of tiny 6-year old girls that would maybe come up to your hip. The outrage from the large, overweight, boisterous boys team that came in last was palpable.

I'll post something more atropos when I've had a chance to catch up with things.]

Malak'ai
2013-07-12, 09:16 AM
[BACK! From the land of sunshine, toads, and mosquitos. And babysitting little children.

And the winning team was comprised mainly of tiny 6-year old girls that would maybe come up to your hip. The outrage from the large, overweight, boisterous boys team that came in last was palpable.

I'll post something more atropos when I've had a chance to catch up with things.]

**Is this for someone my height, or yours? It always hurts my neck when I have to talk to you when you're not sitting down.**

**Oh. I've also gotten shorter since you've been in China. I'm noe 5'8 and a half, not 5'9 :smallfrown:."

Wordplay
2013-07-12, 07:50 PM
''ware, I think danger approaches from behind'.

Raif is turned to cover the rear, weapon drawn.

'I say we press forward, away from whatever this is'.

Raif feels with his offhand in his belt pouch for a vial of Alchemist's Fire.

Arranis Thelmos
2013-07-14, 04:38 PM
Halabur readies his crossbow, but shakes like a Gelatinous Cube.

Machuchang
2013-07-14, 07:33 PM
Eleanora set her jaw and nodded, clutching her sword tightly as she continued to move forward.

Wordplay
2013-07-14, 08:00 PM
Raif guards the rear, edging backwards to stay with the party, and keeping a sharp eye out for a gelatinous cube.

As he does so his eyes rove between walls, ceiling and floor, as well as straight ahead (of Raif).

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Malak'ai
2013-07-15, 12:42 AM
You make your way along the corridor at a slow pace, being wary of anything that might jumps out at you.
After a few minutes, the sounds of gongs grows louder and the whirring sound is starting to get annoying.

You continue on, finally coming to a small door on the left. It's a simple looking door. Hard wood with iron bindings. It's hinges are slightly rusted. It's only about 4' high.
The gongs and whirring are really loud now.

Raif:
You can tell that the stone work in this hallway isn't the same as in the last. It's rougher, less polished and the stone itself looks darker.

Wordplay
2013-07-15, 03:53 PM
'Hmm...the stone looks a little different here - Halabur do you think his part was made by gnomes as well?'

Raif muses.

'Shall we check up ahead quickly before we open the door?'

Raif makes ready to scout ahead quickly.

Arranis Thelmos
2013-07-15, 11:02 PM
"These are certainly different architects, if this is Gnomish work to begin with."

Knowledge Arcana [roll0]
Knowledge Architecture (untrained) [roll1]
Knowledge Dungeoneering (untrained) [roll2][

Malak'ai
2013-07-16, 12:37 AM
Raif:
You make your way further along the hallway and around a a curved corner. You see yet more corridor the same as behind you, except there are about a dozen little... things.... scurrying about carrying slabs of stone and what look like tools.
These creatures look nearly exactly the same to the Iron Golems in the storage vault on the floor above, except only being about 2 feet tall.
One of them looks round and see's you, blue light shining from where you'd guess it's eyes should be. It makes a squeaking noise and suddenly they all head down the hall very quickly and then around another corner.

Halabur:
You stand there looking at the walls for a while and come to the conclusion that yes, they are stone. A grey stone with tiny black and green specks. If it was polished you think it would look quite good.

**I have no idea what the Arcana roll was for.**

Arranis Thelmos
2013-07-16, 07:16 AM
The arcana roll was to see if there was any magical properties about them.

Wordplay
2013-07-16, 08:35 AM
Raif chases after the diminutive figures.

'Golems! Little ones, quick, follow me'. he shouts.

Raif slows slightly - remembering to be cautious. He follows the figures at a quick march, checking ahead for obstacles.

Malak'ai
2013-07-16, 03:03 PM
Halabur:
**Ahh, ok. Nope, just plain walls and door.**

Chasing the mini-Golems down the Hall, Raif draws to a halt as the corridor widens dramatically. He now stands before a very large door. Black as coal and 30' wide and due to him being in a rush, he hadn't noticed the floor sloping down, allowing the door to be 20' tall.
Emblazed on the door is the image of an Iron Golem.

Wordplay
2013-07-16, 04:06 PM
Raif backs away from the door slowly, going back down the corridor to the door on the left of the corridor. He calls out.

'I saw some small iron golems, and I chased them to a large door, maybe 20 feet in height...with a giant golem emblazoned on it. I suspect the room contains giant golems'.

Arranis Thelmos
2013-07-16, 10:01 PM
"Curious..." murmmers Halabur as he heads over Raif's direction. "Miniature golems? Maybe they act as scouts or workers."

Search [roll0]
Spot [roll1]

Malak'ai
2013-07-17, 12:28 AM
Halabur wanders up the hallway, his eyes darting every which way until he stumbles on something, almost tripping over.
When he looks back he see's a small (though it would fit nicely in his hand) wooden masons mallet.
Looking up at the door, he steps towards it. Something he can't explain drawing him to the looming visage of the Iron Golem.

Arranis Thelmos
2013-07-17, 08:43 AM
Halabur stares at the mallet, then at the visage. He chokes up and addresses, "...Guys, something feels funny here." he turns to the group "Like maybe I'm not coming back to the surface or something." He grins, "But whatever happens, I just want you to know I think you're all fantastic." He sighs then continues, "Now let's see what this doohickey does!" and taps it against the visage.

Malak'ai
2013-07-17, 02:35 PM
When Halabur knocks the door starts to open, there seems to be no resistance in the hinges or weight to the door.
When it's opened enough, he peeks in. The room looks kind of cluttered with dozens of convex lenses on platforms. All are blank and see through.
Stepping inside a little more the Gnome notices movement in the far corner. Four or five of the mimi- Golems Raif spoke of shuffling around a shape on the floor. He then hears a groan and a thin, cracked, wheezing voice saying "Easy... you... ingot... brain... I'm... not... made... of... metal... like... you."

Wordplay
2013-07-17, 04:59 PM
Raif follows Halabur back down the corridor. When he hears the voice he starts a little.

'Greetings...to whom might we have the honour of addressing?'.

Malak'ai
2013-07-18, 12:39 AM
The little metal figures look round, their blue eyes staring at Halabur and Raif. They then quickly form a semi-circle around the figure on the ground. Miniature hammers, mallets, chisels, levels and files held up like weapons, but none of them advance.

The figure calls out in the same broken, wheezing voice that sounds like it's strained even further by speaking in more than just a conversational volume, "Who... dares... to... threaten... Gilliban... the... Controller? Stay... back... or... my... drones... will... attack..." The little speech ending in a fit of coughs and gasps.

Wordplay
2013-07-18, 04:16 AM
'We are well clear of you. Fear not, we mean no harm, and we offer you no threat, if you be friendly m'Lord Gilliban'.

Raif speaks up, clearly and slowly, as the speaker seems a little deaf.

'We are lost, and we are seeking a return to the surface. If you could point us in the right direction we would be very grateful, and trouble you no more'.

'Unless of course there is anything we can do to assist you. That is a nasty cough you have. I may have some remedy amidst my herbs...if you would permit me to take a look'.

'But of course, I would not examine you unless that is your wish'.

Malak'ai
2013-07-18, 04:34 AM
"You... don't... have... to... yell... I'm... not... deaf" the voice says after a couple of splutters, "Move... aside... you... metal... morons!.. Let... me... see... who... I'm.... talking... to!" he barks.

The mini-Golems shuffle out of the way with a few squeaks and squawks revealing an ancient Gnome laying on some rugs on the floor.
The scraps of clothing he has left on are bloodstained, shreds that were once fine robes. He looks pale and very weak, his shriveled hand waving feebly just a couple of inches from the floor.

"You'd... have... a... devils... worth... of... a... cough... too... if... some... crazy... eyed... Elf... cut... you... from... knees... to... neck..." Gilliban chokes out, a look that's a cross between a scowl and a smile on his face.

Wordplay
2013-07-18, 11:36 AM
'Sir, I'm a healer. Please let me take a look at that - before it's too late'.

If the gnome permits him, Raif reaches into his bag for his healing kit, and will attempt to make a healing check.

[roll0]

Machuchang
2013-07-18, 11:44 AM
Eleanora eyed the old gnome, wary of any sudden movements. As Raif approached the wounded Gilliban, the dame followed close behind, ready to intercede on a moment's notice.

Arranis Thelmos
2013-07-18, 12:26 PM
Halabur smiles a little, "It's good to see another gnome around here. I was a little worried this place had become deserted. Can you tell us what happened here?"

Malak'ai
2013-07-20, 05:04 AM
There's not much the old Gnome can to stop Raif from approaching. Looking down at him, the Cleric can see the long, ragged rents in Gilliban's flesh which have been roughly sewn up with thin steel wire.
Raif winces seeing the crude work, knowing that there's no way that these wounds wouldn't leave a scar, if Gilliban survived long enough to heal anyway.

As he reaches into his pack to retrieve his healing kit, one of the little iron beings moves closer. It's little blue, glowing "eyes" watching intently as Raif sets to work, very slowly and carefully removing the wire, cleaning the wounds of dried blood and some pus from areas that had started to putrify and then sewing the ancient Gnome back up.

After steadily working for nearly an hour, occasionally asking the others for their assistance and being a little surprised when he discovers that the little Golem is joining in, handing him the tools he asks for (sometimes it's the wrong one, but hey, it's a miniature Golem for crying out loud! **:smallwink:**), he realises that even though he's patched the wounds up the best he can, that this is beyond his ability to heal fully, even if he did have his magic.

Once he's finished he sits back, wiping sweat from his brow.
For his part Gilliban has been a good patient, only having sworn and insulting Raif's ministrations a few times. By the end, though he's panting an looking even paler, he gives a weak smile, "Well... you... did... better... than... the... tin... head... here."

Turning his head slowly to look at Halabur, he snaps, "Of... course... I'm... here... youngster!.. Where... else... would... I... be?" before a fit of coughing rolls over him.
"As... for... what... happened... well... I... was... nearly... butchered... like... a... goat... by... that... Elf... An... abomination... that... one... Tall... Brown... hair... Green... eyes... Countered... my... spells... then... sliced... me... up... Didn't... seem... to... know... who... he... was... Kept... calling... himself... by... different... names... Put... that... thing... up... there" his finger creaks as the Gnome points to the ceiling where you see a symbol drawn on the stone in some sort of black substance.

Raif:
You manage to clean him up and heal an additional 5hp.

Halabur:
You can't seem to shake the thought that Gilliban looks like Uncle Blugby, if he had of lived for another 2 or 3 centuries.

Wordplay
2013-07-20, 09:54 AM
Raif smiles at the little golem, and thanks it politely as it hands him his tools. Raif starts by doing his best to numb the area with the herbs and drugs in the healer's kit. He works on the gnome in near silence, apart from the occasional hushed request to the golem.

Well at least it's realised that we're trying to help. This is a mess...and probably not survivable - without stronger illusions than mine.

Raif finishes, cleaning up the wound as best he can.

After hearing Gilliban's comment, Raif takes a look at the symbol.

Knowledge religion [roll0]

He gestures up to the symbol. 'Have any of you ever seen anything like this before? Halabur? Drayner?'

Raif speaks quietly to Gilliban 'Can you remember what the elf said his names were?'.

Arranis Thelmos
2013-07-20, 11:15 AM
Halabur inspects the symbol to try and make it out, hoping that it'd account for the loss of their magical abilities.

Knowledge Arcana [roll0]

As he inspects the symbol he remarks to Gilliban, "You know, of you don't mind my saying elder, you look a look a lot like my poor Uncle Blugby."

D_Man_7733
2013-07-20, 05:27 PM
Stepping forward to get a better view of the symbol Drayner thinks on it for a moment, It's just a guess, but it's probably whatever is blocking our magic... shouldn't bring that up until I'm certain though. Drayner remains quiet unless he thinks of what it could be.

knowledge (arcana): [roll0]
Knowledge (the planes): [roll1]

Malak'ai
2013-07-21, 02:47 AM
Raif and Drayner:
After examining the symbol for a few moments, you come to the conclusion that it is not in anyway religious our related to either the Upper or Lower Planes.

Halabur and Drayner:
Taking the time to have a good look at the symbol, you come to the realization that it is arcane in origin, though it looks far more advanced than what you're used to.

"He... started... out... calling... himself... Talh... something... Then... when... he... started... to... try... and... extract... my... kidneys... through... my... chest,.. he... started... calling... himself... Tiak... something... Crazy... Elf." Gilliban says, his eyes closing slowly, his breathing coming slower, but a little stronger than before, not as laboured.
Just before falling asleep, he mumbles, "Knew... a... Blugby... once... Ran... away... Never... found... out... what... happened... Had... a... young... son..."

D_Man_7733
2013-07-21, 03:04 AM
"Well, it's definitely magic related, a little complicated though... we could try rubbing it out, but we have no idea what it could do." taking a sip from his waterskin, Drayner continues to look at the symbol, trying to discern what substance it is written in.

Int: [roll0]
Wis: [roll1]

Arranis Thelmos
2013-07-21, 11:00 AM
"That's a good idea as any, I suppose. I wonder what it's written in." To himself he thinks, Well, he knew a Blugby. That's pretty interesting. Must be a different one, I don't seem to recall him having any children... But I suppose I was quite young when he took me in.

Knowledge Arcana [roll0]

Malak'ai
2013-07-22, 12:38 AM
Drayner:
By the look of it, it could be written in any number of things. There's are quite a few that come to mind, and not many of them are pleasant to think about.

Halabur:
You come to the conclusion that many magical symbols can be written in any substance that one has at hand, and unless who ever put it up there had brought something with them, the only thing in any quantity at hand would have come from Gilliban.

As you stand round, trying to figure the symbol out, the old Gnome falls deeper into sleep. It seems peaceful even with the wounds.

Wordplay
2013-07-22, 09:23 AM
Raif whispers to the others, in turn if necessary to keep the patient from hearing.

'I've done the best I can, but I fear that he is not long for this world...I'm not sure if he'll ever wake again'.

Then Raif says 'I've no idea what that symbol is, or what it might do...or be doing. Thing looks absolutely evil to me. I think we should report back to Comsaro and the others. If we ever get out of here I think our priority is to get back to headquarters...and deal with Tahlruamy'.

Raif pulls out some parchment.

'I'm reluctant to copy the thing...since we don't know what it does. Perhaps if I break it up over several pieces of paper and keep them separate I can diminish any harmful effects'. Raif proceeds to do so, keeping any symbols isolated and disjointed, but numbered so that he can reconstruct any sequences. Clearsight makes sure that no complete shape appears on any piece of paper - cutting them off at the edge, and that none of the pieces of paper touch. When he's finished, Raif searches the room.

[roll0]

Malak'ai
2013-07-23, 01:43 AM
Verossa nods when Raif says they need to inform Comsaro and his group of whats happening and moves off back out into the hallway to the hole.

Raif then starts copying the symbol carefully. It takes him about 15 minutes, but he finally gets a copy that satisfies him.
In this time, the large, darker skinned Cleric strides through the door, followed by the blond haired Half Elf.
"So what's going on here? This one," he motions to Verossa, "Tried telling me, but I could only understand half of what she was saying... Goes off on tangents and seems to speak a totally different kind of the Common Tongue most of the time, as you likely know.

She did say you'd found someone alive, a symbol and something about an Elf calling itself by different names?"

Raif:
You look round, seeing lots of convex lenses of all different sizes. All appear to be anchored to the stands they sit on.
There is a small desk (not just in the sized for a Gnome sense) hidden away in the far corner. On it is another iron bar with half finished glyphs etched on it, and a small ivory oblong object with arrows engraved in it. One pointing up, one down, one to the left and the last to the right.

Wordplay
2013-07-23, 04:53 AM
'We think we found the golem controller, one Gilliban - but he's half-dead. Sounds like your associate tore him up, and then made that symbol'.

Raif gestures to the thing on the roof.

'I've done my best to help him but...I would appreciate it if you could give me the benefit of your opinion'.

'Apparently the elf that did this alternated between calling himself Tahl-something and Tiak-something - his words' Raif indicates Gilliban.

'Whether Talhruamy has a look alike, a malady of the mind, or is under the influence of some malignity, I find the whole thing very worrying. If we get out of here I think our first priority should be to deal with him,...I am not about to wait around whilst he systematically destroys the High command from the inside'.

'I believe he had a hand in developing our current mission - they lost a great deal of men to infiltrate us - mostly from the dwarven contingent. I said from the start that I thought it was a terrible plan. I am beginning to wonder if that was not the point. The Covenant may have already won a significant tactical or even strategic advantage from that action'.

It also ensured that we were out of the way. Verossa and m'Lady Elenora are two of the smartest soldiers I have ever met. M'Lady Elenora in particular has acted as a voice of reason to cool unwise action. Drayner can see through all illusion...and Halabur and I are illusionists also. We may have been the best talents at illusion back at headquarters...outside of the commanders. It seems especially unlikely that Halabur and I would be dispatched on a mission - one of us is enough surely? Given that our talents were so complimentary? Drayner's talent is especially rare...too much of a co-incidence.

'I think that I have found more golem controls incidentally...and something similar...I am inclined to push this upward pointing arrow, but I would appreciate it if everyone could give it a quick look over first to see if you agree'.

Malak'ai
2013-07-24, 01:27 AM
Both Lumara and Comsaro look up at the symbol when Raif indicates it.
The dark-skinned Cleric ***** his head from side to side, a look of confusion crossing his face. The Blond haired Half Elf's expression turns to one resignation, and maybe a little dejection as her eyes trace the whole symbol slowly.

When Raif recounts the Elf's confusing name swapping, Comsaro's eyes go wide and Lumara tears her away from the ceiling, and whispers, "It can be... Could it? It's been decades... Why would he pull his head out of the sand now?"

Her questioning confuses the rest of you, though Comsaro just shakes his head.
"That's something we'll have to discover later. Right now, we need to sort that little drawing up there out. What do you recon Mara?" he asks.
"Yes... I can disable it, but I'm going to need a boost." she looks round. "You." she points at Eleanora, "Come over here." the command is short and sharp in a "we need to so this" way.

Eleanora approaches cautiously, not entirely sure what's about to happen when suddenly her feet leave the ground, a small squeak escaping her lips as Comsaro places her astride his shoulders. Another sounds as not much after Lumara is sitting on hers.
"Now... Just sit still Dame... Hopefully this wont take long." the woman says before reaching up and does something with the symbol.
After a minute, she shouts, "Comsaro! Get us down!"
The large man drops to his knees and leans back, the Knight tumbling from his shoulders, the Half Elf from hers just before the symbol on the ceiling makes a sound like a loud thunder clap and explodes into a cloud of smoke.

The air in the room seems to change. It feels... Tingly. Those who are able to control magical forces (even those who cannot actually manifest spells as yet) convulse for a second, feeling as if they've been kicked in the chest by a horse. The moment passes and the sense of magic is back.

D_Man_7733
2013-07-24, 03:27 AM
Convulsing, Drayner loses his balance and falls to his knees, the realisation slowly dawning on him of what just happened, Drayner picks up a small rock and utters a word under his breath breaking it into dust, a wicked smile crossing his face.

"Thank you for lending the javelins Verossa, but I don't think I'll be needing them anymore." Returning the javelins with a smug look on his face Drayner looks around. "Judging by that we seem to all be back to full power, now I guess it's time to see what we may have missed before."

Drayner's eyes changing colour as he surveys the room nonchalontly mumbling about how good it is to have his powers back, before thinking back on what the gnome mentioned, Tahl-something... Tahlrumy, but Tiak-something... I don't think I've heard that name. Drayner stops and contemplates the name and who it might belong to, avoiding thinking back to far for fear of running afoul of bad memories.If this is all a trick by the hand... we should go back? WAIT THE AMULET

Reaching into his pouch Drayner raises the amulet and looks to the rest of the group, "I think our discoveries here might warrant a call back to base, don't you think?"

[roll0] for whatever it is to remember something (int and wis have the same modifier)

Malak'ai
2013-07-24, 04:08 AM
Drayner:
**That would be an Int Check.**
Racking his brain, Drayner tries to remember if he had heard a name starting with "Tiak" before. The best he can come up with is Tilas; a barmaid who helped carrying him to bed one time after a few too many ales.

The reaction to Drayner mentioning contacting base is a bit startling. Lumara jumps to her feet, rushes over and lifts the amulet, inspecting it. Comsaro on the other hand launches into a tirade of questions, "What's this? Who gave it to you? Does it allow you to contact someone? Have you used it? How many times? When did you last use it? Hurry up boy. Answer me!" his voice starting to sound desperate by the end.

In the background, the lenses that had been dull before crackle to life. Images from all through the complex spring up upon them.
There are 17 that show the large adamantine doors (including the open ones to the empty room).
Other ones show what appears to be a foundry and smelter. Another shows more mini-Golems working at anvils.
Looking through them all, you see empty hallways and rooms. The occasional image of a full sized Golem lumbering about.
On one, you see Ventera sitting on the floor of the hallway, legs spread wide, her hammer leaning against the wall next to her as she rolls what looks like a Golems head back and forth between her knees.

D_Man_7733
2013-07-24, 04:45 AM
Alerted by the onslaught of questions and having the amulet taken from him, Drayner becomes slightly annoyed as he is hurried to answer questions he hasn't yet had the chance to consider yet. "It was given to us by our commander so we could report our progress on our mission, and as we haven't made any progress so to speak, we have found no need to alert them of our progress..."

Looking to Lumara he puts his hand under the amulet, "and as such, I would thank you if you would refrain from taking our only contact with those in charge, though I don't distrust you, being the one this honour has been entrusted to comes with a certain degree of worry. So could I please have the amulet back?"

Wordplay
2013-07-24, 07:18 AM
'Mmm...good. Reality is soft and malleable again. The theological implications of that spell are...disturbing - did everyone else feel that too?'

Raif casts create water - refilling all the waterskins.

'I wouldn't use that amulet Drayner - not now we have reason to doubt the one that gave it to us'.

'Do you know the one that did his Comsaro? I have heard that Tahlruamy had a twin brother - do you suspect him - or do we still need to fear Tahlruamy?'

That's an awful lot of golems...more than enough to control the fate of the war single-handed I would have thought. Oh dear.

Malak'ai
2013-07-24, 10:36 AM
"No. I never met him. Other than Talh, only Nialise truely knew Tiakysha. Though I think you did meet him, didn't you Mara?" Comsaro says.
"Once. Just before he... Left. That was nearly 90 years ago now. Talhruamy told us not to speak of what happened, and until we find out who it was that was truely here, I'll hold to my promise." she says, dropping the amulet back into Drayners hand.

A gasping snore comes from Gilliban as he starts to wake up.
"Ahhh... Maybe someone should do something about him since we have our powers back?" Halabar pipes up, a finger in wiggling in his ear as if trying to unblock it.

Machuchang
2013-07-24, 10:57 AM
Eleanora stood and dusted herself off, choosing not to acknowledge the squeak she made earlier. After a moment of gathering herself, she opened her mouth to speak, but by then Comsaro had accosted Drayner about their contacting talisman.

"If we need not fear Tahlruamy, why fear the amulet as well?Or are you suggesting Tahlruamy and his twin are both equally dangerous to us?"

D_Man_7733
2013-07-24, 03:53 PM
"We may doubt Tahlrumy but if we are wrong then heading back would mean we had to break the covenant lines again. I merely offered the suggestion so as to question Tahlrumy himself about this information... as well as whatever that giant bird thing was when we left, I haven't seen it again, but I can't help but think that we left the pavillion just in time." Looking around Drayner wonders about the implications If it's also Nialise, then why would she have? She said she it just "happened" sometimes, so it might be out of her control... I came here to redeem my past transgressions, and that's what I intend to do.

Wordplay
2013-07-24, 06:15 PM
'Alright Halabur, I'll see what I can do'.

Burn Aid to cast Cure Moderate Wounds [roll0]

Raif directs his spell at Gilliban.

'Well Drayner, I suppose I may have spoken a little hastily - but I must admit, I still do not trust Tahlruamy. Even if this was the action of a deranged twin brother, there's still the little matter of that demonological tome he had...that was never really explained to my satisfaction'.

'Perhaps we can continue with our mission, if Comsaro and Mara are returning to the High command - but I'd still be wary of Tahlruamy. I'd feel much more content if we had an independent way of reaching High Command'.

Malak'ai
2013-07-25, 01:14 AM
Talhruamy is dangerous to everyone he decides to set his might against, let's just hope he hasn't really made the decision to turn it against us." Lumara says, rubbing her shoulder and turning to Raif, a smirk growing on her face, "As for Talh's interest in the lower plains... Well... He has a interesting sense of humour.
I've seen him sit down to one of those books, read it from cover to cover while laughing his head off the whole time and making jokes about those idiotic fools who make deals with Devils, or try and control the fury of Demons." she starts chuckling herself, "He was near impossible to live with for a week when Nialise and I hid them all from him."

Comsaro lets out a snort, "I always called him a fool for taking those things so lightly... Demons I've faced down have never been a laughing matter." he says while looking intently at Raif.
"Don't worry Brother Clearsight. Now I know your face, I can contact you when need be. Use the amulet if you want, but until I contact you again, don't give Talhruamy and specific details of your mission."

He then kneels next to Gilliban as the Gnome groans from Raif's healing, his colour becoming a little healthier. The large Cleric stretches his arms above his head, makes a small motion and utters a short phrase before placing his hands on the Gnomes chest. A powerful blue-white light appearing around them.
Gilliban sits bolt upright, convulsing and gasps, his eyes wide.
The moment passes and the old Gnome pants, "Well... That... did... it... Good... work... lad."

Marlowe
2013-07-25, 03:40 AM
Verossa listens to the revelations with a grim face. "And to think I got into this to avoid having a superior that kept trying to get me killed. Well, it's odd. It's very odd indeed. If our enemy, be he Pointytemper or Stabbytemper or whether they're one and the same now, wanted you-" She gestures to Comsaro and Lumara, "Out of the way it's odd he's lock you in with this rent-a-legion of Iron Soldiers plus their not-quite-dead custodian. And if the same person wanted us out of the way, odd he'd send us in the same direction."

Wordplay
2013-07-25, 11:10 AM
'Indeed Brother Comsaro. I'm aware my beliefs are a little unusual, but I hold daemonic creatures to be the most dangerous of snares that lead folk away from the true life'.

'I hold them as a sort of illusion that has attained substance by tricking folk into believing in it - though I haven't faced one directly myself. I fear we are sure to do so if we keep up our efforts against the Covenant. I do not relish the prospect - but I will not shy away from it either'.

Raif's expression becomes troubled as he listens to Verossa.

'I agree Verossa - the whole thing is very strange, and whatever explanation I can think of for it seems to have weaknesses. There is something important that we do not know'.

When Gilliban comes around Raif asks.

'Are you feeling better sir? Be careful - your wounds were deep'. Raif offers the gnome a drink from his waterskin.

Marlowe
2013-07-25, 01:42 PM
"Our opponent; who may or not be also our nominal superior; may not fully know his own mind or motives or name from one moment to the next. He may not be fully commited; maybe opposed to himself. Dominated by one will one time, another the next. A dangerous situation.

Still; we can do nothing until we get out of here" She looks around. Methods describably as cunning totally fail to occur to her. "I am curious as to whether were we to go back to that wall I was hacking at, it would still be there. But I'm also interested into whether it's possible to get these golems to dig."

Malak'ai
2013-07-26, 12:57 AM
"You're not going to be digging my facility up you pack of vandals! I know you've been banging up my Golems and breaking my walls! If you want out, I'll show you the flaming door!" Gilliban grumbles as he stands up.

One of the mini-Golems, the impromptu surgical nurse in fact, tugs on Raif's hand and gestures to one of the screens. It shows the hallway you came in from, Verossa's rope still on the floor.
As you watch, the wall seems to rotate left up into the ceiling, leaving the open door to the dumbwaiter standing before you on the screen.

Marlowe
2013-07-28, 12:16 AM
Verossa bows her head in the briefest of nods."My apologies sir. We had no idea this place had a responsible custodian. We'll be leaving soon as we can, of course. But is it really your intention to let this superb army rust below ground while a war rages overhead?"

Wordplay
2013-07-28, 03:25 AM
'Yes, before we go, I must echo my companions concerns. Exactly where did these golems come from, and what, may I ask, do you intend to do with them m'Lord Gilliban?' asks Raif.

D_Man_7733
2013-07-28, 05:11 AM
Putting the amulet away for safe keeping Drayner looks around and waits for the answer from Gilliban. I know what I'd be using them for...

Machuchang
2013-07-28, 11:30 AM
Eleanora stood by silently, staring at the screens to make sure that nothing was sneaking up on them.

Malak'ai
2013-07-30, 04:44 AM
"My Golem's don't rust! I pride myself on that!" Gilliban snaps at Verossa before he actually looks at her, his face crumpling into a confused expression, "War? What war? You don't mean that Devil poker and his rabble up near the Ironroot? Pah! They're no problem for me."

Waving Raif off he says, "Where do you think they come from? They're made here. The drones," he thumps one of the mini-Golems on the back of the head, it makes a sad sounding squeak and slinks away, "Build their bodies and I have a machine that enchants them.
As to what I do with them, that's my business! The business of the Controllers is secret!"

Wordplay
2013-07-30, 12:08 PM
'You've been down here a long while haven't you sir...'.

Raif inhales.

'We are in the middle of a continent spanning war, fought between two rival powers who seek to determine the way of life for everyone on this continent'.

'The Covenant promises freedom for the oppressed - but this is a lie - in reality they have no care either way as long as their actions forward their own quest for power. Meanwhile they traffic with the worst kind of devils and infernal magic'.

'The Coalition says that it defends freedom and our traditional way of life - but has a rather narrow idea of what freedom means. In practice it means preserving the old prejudices of nation, of patriarchy, and of discrimination based on birth'.

'That said, the Coalition does show some encouraging signs of progress - particularly with regard to the position of women and co-operation between the lands differing peoples'.

'The Covenant hold about a third of the territory, but they have the initiative more or less - the Coalition make up the remaining two thirds but they're on the back foot'.

'We are representatives of the Coalition'.

'Your manufactory is practically on the front line in the conflict - and I strongly suspect your maiming by the elf gentleman was directly connected to this conflict'.

'These golems could turn the tide of the war. I warn you, both sides will likely seek them out and try to take them from you. The actions of the elven gentleman show that you may not be able to prevent them. I must confess, whilst my personal inclination would be to leave you here alone to enjoy your property - I feel uneasy lest these should fall into the hands of my enemy'.

'Perhaps if we arranged to have your person guarded? If you will not consign them to either side then we can at least try to prevent their entry in to the war by ensuring your personal safety'.

Marlowe
2013-07-31, 12:44 AM
Verossa manages to avoid laughing at Raif's words. But she does smile. "While the Divine Clearsight has an disarmingly objective way of viewing the world, what he says is basically correct. While our faction includes sentients representing all flavours of morality and ethics I have seen enough of the other lot to be under no doubt we are mostly in the right. And you and your charges are in serious danger should you do nothing. Especially as you are already known to at least one participant".

Malak'ai
2013-07-31, 01:49 AM
The old Gnome's face takes on a thoughtful look. His hand come up and he starts tapping his forefinger against the side of his nose.

After a few minutes, he shakes his head and sighs, "So what you are saying is that my creations are in danger either way.
Two different armies will be wanting them, and at least one will try to take them by force." he actually chuckles at this, "There's part of my mind that would like to see them try."

Walking over to the wall with all the screens, he looks at all of them while tapping his nose again, "Well, since I'm the only Controller left, I guess I have to make a decision...." turning back around, a sly little smile on his wrinkly face, "How much do you think this Coalition would be willing to pay for my Golems?"

Wordplay
2013-07-31, 09:57 AM
Raif smiles wryly.

'More than they can afford'.

'It would probably be best if Brother Comasro and his companions took the offer to High Command.

'In the meantime, we should probably stand guard over you... I agree a frontal assault would be doomed - but I worry about a sneaky assassin, such as the elf gentleman - you'd have more of a chance against such an attack if someone remained to protect you'.

Raif pauses, as he balances things up, and a plan comes together in his mind.

'I think some of us will have to continue our mission. I know we'd be asking a lot of you to trust anyone we left - and asking a lot out of the putative bodyguard. I wonder'.

'Halabur - how would you feel about watching over m'Lord Gilliban? Your illusions and his catacombs would make a potent combination'.

Malak'ai
2013-08-01, 02:16 AM
"And what do you think this young whippet could do that I couldn't do myself, many times better may I add?

Anyway, I don't want any of you lot running round under my..." Gilliban is cut short as one of the Drones, which is standing on the shoulders of another, thumps HIM on the head and squeaks and squawks at him, pointing to his tattered robes and then proceeds to pantomime attacking the Gnome with large slashing motions.
Gilliban starts to look angry and frustrated, then finally throws his hands up in the air. "FINE! Fine... I suppose having one, just one you hear me, of this lot hanging around wont be so bad.
At least he's a Gnome... Would hate to have an Elf or Dwarf peering in while I work."
His face and shoulders slump again, "And I guess I'll have to pass on the knowledge of the Controllers to someone... I wont live forever, but Gods be damned if I don't go kicking and screaming!"

Meanwhile Halabur is having a hard time not bursting out laughing at the Drones.
The one who had helped Raif in healing the ancient Controller is standing behind Gilliban, imitating the Gnome's movements with one arm while holding his other up, pretending his tiny metal hand is a mouth.

His head shoots up as Gilliban mentions 'passing on the knowledge of the Controllers'.
"What? You want to teach me?" he asks.
"Not want boy! A matter of necessity. But yes. I'll teach you, if you're good enough."

Wordplay
2013-08-01, 09:31 AM
'It's a great deal that we'd be asking from you Halabur - but the rewards both to yourself and the alliance could be great as well'.

It would be a great charity to help this one see out his remaining years in comfort... and I believe it would do our friend good as well.

Yes. Friend. Funny to think that we've become close but I think of Halabur and my comrades as friends. First that I've had in a long time...

'Ultimately it would be up to.... argh, stop it! Stop it you little monster!'. Raif bursts out laughing at little golem's mimicry of Gilliban - he gestures at it feebly.

Controlling himself Raif looks seriously at Halabur.

'I'm sure it wouldn't be for ever - we'd return for you if we are able - or you could meet us again at a later date'.

Of course there's no guarantee we'll live to see that day. This is a dangerous mission after all, and we've barely escaped death several times over already.

Marlowe
2013-08-01, 12:18 PM
Verossa snaps to attention, glaive at ready. "A noble suggestion, Captain Underpants; and one which makes me feel a little better about leaving this place to its fate.

"Of course", she finishes with total seriousness. "This does means we'll need another emergency food supply"

Bluff:[roll0]

"Onward! Dire Hummingbirds await!"

Machuchang
2013-08-01, 12:36 PM
Eleanora smiled and rested her hand on the tiny illusionist's shoulder.

"It has been a pleasure to work alongside you, Halabur," She said with a smile. "I know that you will continue to do us proud, and the Covenant will suffer much for your efforts. May our paths cross again!"

D_Man_7733
2013-08-01, 03:00 PM
"It's been good fun Halabur, when we meet again, promise not to be all grouchy," Drayner smiles at the little gnome as they say their farewells.

Malak'ai
2013-08-05, 12:51 AM
"ENOUGH!" screams Gilliban.
"I've accepted to let him stay, but that doesn't extend to the rest of you. Go. Get out of my Facility!" the ancient Gnome grumbles, though there is only a very slight hint of annoyance in his voice.

He starts hobbling out the door and down the hallway, turning back the way you had come he approaches the small door in the hallway and bangs on it.
It opens, revealing a staircase.

As you follow him, you realize this is much easier than scrambling down holes in the floor, until you hear a grunt, followed by a few choice curse words from Comsaro.
Turning, you see his struggling to squeeze through the passageway in the wall, his head constantly smacking into the ceiling with every step.

After only a few moments of climbing the stairs, Gilliban thumps on the wall and another door opens out into a large, dark room which you conclude to be where you first meet Comsaro, Lumara and Ventera.
Exiting out into a familiar hallway, you see Ventera sitting on the floor, looking very bored until she looks up and see's you all.
Calming her down a little, Comsaro nods to Gilliban to continue.

Getting to where the dumbwaiters are, the wall is gone and Verossa's rope is there hanging there, although the end has been severed and is laying against the wall.

Once you all finally manage to make it to the upper level and get the door down, you can see hints of light breaking into the cave.
The feed left for the horses is all but gone.

Halabur, striding over and taking Sparklelord's reins looks over at Gilliban and the nearby mini-golems. He sighed and looked over at the friends and companions he had grown to know and love. "I guess this is where I have to say good bye." He smiles--a melancholic little thing--and embraces Raif, Eleanora, Verossa, and Drayner in turn. "I'll miss you all... I wish you all the best life has to offer. Good luck."

He walks over to and shakes hands with the fully healed Gilliban, "I guess we ought to get to work. Show me the way." He exits with him, flanked by a couple of mini-golems and trailed by the pony.
The older Gnomes voice can be heard as the cave wall draws up, "Don't know where's you're gunna be riding that thing Whippet. And I ain't setting my Drones to cleaning...." the last few words are cut off by the slamming of the door.

Wordplay
2013-08-05, 01:57 AM
'Goodbye my friend...and take care'.

Raif waits until the door closes, then says,

'Could someone please help me out of my armour? I've desperately wanted to answer the call of nature for the last few hours...'

Once Raif has relieved himself, he comments,

'Well, that was very peculiar. I hope that Halabur will be all right. I feel that we were, perhaps, a little foolhardy seeking to explore the place - though it turned out we had good cause'.

Raif straightens his back, and works some of the tension out of his muscles.

'Delicate stitching in plate - I've never tried it before, and I hope never to have to try it again'.

Raif begins attending to the horses as best he can.

'Well then, should we make camp and recover for a while, or press on whilst we still have the light?'

Machuchang
2013-08-05, 02:05 AM
The dame stood by uncomfortably, averting her gaze as Raif relieved himself. She had just begun to re-familiarize herself with their surroundings when he finished and began to speak.

"I suggest that we keep moving while we can," She said, casting one last glimpse toward the rock face from which they exited. "We have wasted enough time, and I feel it would be prudent to continue our mission. Especially with the information we now have."

Malak'ai
2013-08-05, 02:50 AM
As Eleanora mentions information, Comsaro nods, "Yes. I'm wanting to get back and find out if what that wrinkled ol' Gnome said is true. But before we go," he walks over to Raif, reaching behind himself and pulls a mace off his belt.
Handing it to the shorter Cleric, he says, "Remember Brother Clearsight. There are many truths out there. Some people will accept them easily, others will put up a fight." he starts chuckling, "For those, well sometimes, sometimes you just need to beat it into them." he finishes, clapping Raif on the shoulder.

As the Cleric's are having their little conversation, Ventera looms up behind Eleanora. "Little metal covered Girl come with Tera? Tera be nice and play gentle with little metal covered Girl." she says, placing a hand on the Knights shoulder.

Machuchang
2013-08-05, 10:05 AM
Eleanora gave a slight nod and followed after Ventera.

Malak'ai
2013-08-06, 12:43 AM
Ventera gives a surprising girlish giggle when Eleanora moves off with her, clapping her hands, saying, "Little metal covered Girl and Tera going to be friends! Mara and N'lise no like playing with Tera! They too much like little baby-girls. N'lise's kitty good at wrestling though!
What's Little metal covered Girls favourite way of playing?"

Lumara sighs, looking over her shoulder at the Knight and the tall red-haired woman. "Poor girl... Someone should save her. Tera gets a little excited when she finds a new 'playmate'."

Machuchang
2013-08-07, 10:40 AM
"By playing, do you mean sparring?" Eleanora asked somewhat nervously, realization starting to set in. "I suppose I prefer fighting with lance on horseback. I have won a few tourneys. Why?"

Malak'ai
2013-08-08, 01:09 AM
Tera looks a little confused for a moment, and then smiles and nods, "Horsey back playing! Tera's no good at riding horsies, but she's seen other people do it for fun. Tera never understood why they would want to use a stick against armour. Especially when the sticks break when they hit the other horsie rider!"

Stepping back a bit, she lifts the large hammer with one hand, then draws a finely made longsword and says, Tera like to use big hammer, or knife when she play for real."

D_Man_7733
2013-08-08, 02:05 AM
Checking over the horses Drayner calls over to Eleanora, "Could you first help me with the horses Dame, I seem to be having a little trouble." Drayner beckons Eleanor over to help in making sure that the horses are okay.

Machuchang
2013-08-08, 02:23 AM
"Ah! The horses!" Eleanora said a little too enthusiastically as she turned to Drayner. "They have been out here for a little while, haven't they? Please pardon my incivility, madame Ventera, but I should attend to my steed. Come here, Valor!"

Malak'ai
2013-08-08, 02:28 AM
Ventera begins to splutter a little as Eleanora walks off, her face dropping a little until Lumara approaches her and leans up, whispering something in the red haired woman's ear, causing the taller woman to giggle a little before they head to the mouth of the cave.

Wordplay
2013-08-08, 06:56 AM
'Aye'. Raif nods, smiling.

'I was glad to meet you, Comsaro. I hope I will see you again before too long'.

'Please let us know what you find out about Lord Talhruamy... and remember, so little in this world is as it seems'.

Raif hefts the mace.

'Thank you for the mace - a loan? I shall do my best to return it to you... and meantime I shall put it to good use'.

Raif balances it...

'A little more direct than my usual methods of persuasion I'd wager'.

Marlowe
2013-08-08, 10:01 AM
Verossa's been worried about the horses for sufficiently long that it's a relief to see others focusing on them. Time for a little diplomacy. And fact finding.

"I'll play with you, Cheryl" she says to Ventera. "For a little while, at least. Until we're on our way. I'm afraid the good Dame puts flirting as a low priority". And I'm very curious to see how exactly she's beating these golems. "I'm a foot-soldier. And I use a glaive when I'm serious. And when I'm not serious. And when I need to pick my teeth."

[That last one's a lie. Bluff:[roll0]]

Marlowe
2013-08-08, 10:04 AM
[Whoops. Make that 27. Forgot CHR modifier.]

Malak'ai
2013-08-12, 09:59 PM
Stopping while her and Lumara are walking away, Ventera looks back at Verossa as she makes her boast, then up to the roof of the cave, then back to the tall dark haired warrior, a smile starting to form before she suddenly breaks out into an all out sprint towards Verossa.
With a blood curdling yell she leaps, her body contorting almost all the way back on itself at the waist, her arms stretched back over her head. She then unfolds like the snap of a bowstring, her large hammer flying from behind her, the head just a blur as it thunders towards Verossa.

A resounding crash echoes around the cave. Verossa stands there blinking as her hair is still whipping in the wake of the red-haired brutes strike. The head of her hammer embedded in the stone floor, her eyes watching Verossa as she standing up straight again.
"Girl with big mouth no know when to be quiet. Does Girl with big mouth still want to play with Tera?" a wild light in her eyes as she smiles again, though, this one doesn't seems as welcoming as the others you've seen her give.

Watching the scene unfold before him, Comsaro groans and slaps his forehead before looking back to Raif, "I'm sorry Brother, but as we said, she's a little... Impulsive.
Now, I think we'd better get her out of her before she get's in her head to get serious. I wish you all of Kord's strength in your mission." bowing his head he then spins round and storms towards the hammer wielding woman, grabbing her by the upper arm and says sternly, "Come on girl. We're going." and basically drags her to the cave mouth.

Before getting there, she pulls free and runs back to where Eleanora is examining the horse. Drawing her sword she holds it out. "Take Tera's knife. Use it. Remember Tera. Tera will remember Little metal covered Girl." she says, giving Eleanora a little pat on the head then runs off back to where Comsaro has started chanting, a rift opening in the air, and steps through, quickly followed by Lumara and Comsaro. The rift closes with a small pop, leaving you all alone in the cave.

Machuchang
2013-08-12, 10:11 PM
Eleanora stood wide-eyed, clutching the blade as Comsaro's band disappeared. Gingerly, she moved her hand to the spot where Tera had patted her before shaking her head.

"Well, she certainly knows how to make an impression," The dame said, casting a quick glance toward the hole in floor.

Wordplay
2013-08-13, 07:36 AM
'Thank you my friend...' Raif begins, but he's cut off by the pop of the rift.

'Hmm... that was a very strange experience. Strange and disturbing. I cannot help but feel that this whole mission is a snipe hunt'.

'Ah well. Ours is not to reason why. At least it seems we have been of some assistance to the war effort - freeing the elves, finding the golems, and getting Comsaro back to High Command'. Raif stretches out his arms, and rolls his shoulders.

'It's good to get that plate off for a bit. If you do not mind, I'm famished'.

Raif brings out the everlasting rations, removes the day's contents, and begins to eat.

'We'll need to restock soon - or hunt something. The elves ate the last of my food. We can survive off this - but we'll go a little hungry'.

As Raif eats, he checks through the contents of his pack.

Almost absent mindedly, Raif rolls the mace from Comsaro on his lap, whilst muttering quietly under his breath.
Raif casts Detect Magic and examines the mace.

Knowledge Arcana [roll0]
Appraise (Untrained) [roll1]

Then Raif begins checking through the cave.

'My thanks for your seeing to the horses ladies. Are they quite alright? I admit I've little idea how to care for the creatures...'.

Raif has a look to check the position of the sun in the sky.

Malak'ai
2013-08-13, 07:50 PM
Raif:
There is a very faint glow around the weapon, but you can't seem to determine what it indicates.

When Raif steps to the mouth of the cave, he can see the sun is dropping rapidly towards the horizon, guessing night is no more than an hour or so away.

Marlowe
2013-08-15, 10:45 AM
Verossa does her best to keep her face expressionless in the face of the hammer-wielder's somewhat excessive reaction.

]

Then says; "Well, if I don't suit your taste in playmates I suppose I'll have to look elsewhere", and thinks: [I]she tumbles to get through an opponent with superior reach. How she gets that strength and staying power is a wonder, but at least I now know to fight her on broken terrain if it becomes necessary. I wonder where she gets that knack? [

"In all events, good luck to you all; and remember to keep Cheryl pointed in the right direction" she nods to the other party. Then turns to her own companions. "And in future, if at any point we abandon our baggage to search a dark hole, let's keep the everlasting rations on our persons, agreed? As for hunting; I must admit I'd probably be as likely to bring back a tree as something edible"

[would have updated sooner, but having a very busy few weeks and the playground's been very hard to access lately. I keep getting kicked to Ask.com every few minutes.]

Wordplay
2013-08-15, 11:52 AM
Raif replies to Verossa 'I had mine - but it's not much use when the magic's suppressed'.

'It looks as though the night will soon fall. It doesn't appear that our camp was discovered - shall we rest up for the night, and start out fresh for the Blossomwood come the dawn?'

When we started there were six of us - and now there are only four. I hope Halabur will be alright.

'If so, shall we take two watches? Verossa and I can keep guard until midnight, then m'Lady Elenora and Drayner could take over?'

Marlowe
2013-08-15, 12:10 PM
"Agreed. Though my nightsight's not the best, to put it mildly" says Verossa, shrugging a little at the darkening sky. She was not unaccustomed to being misunderstood, but still it was possible to feel a little sad. Still, we're out of there. And the next day brings the sun.

D_Man_7733
2013-08-15, 06:57 PM
"I'd much prefer to get some rest in before my watch, so I'll be happy to take second watch."honestly I'm still paranoid after having my abilities shut down so suddenly, I didn't even notice it "I'm all for taking some time to rest before heading to Blossomwood, we don't know the conditions of the siege after all" Drayner looks around the campsite, for signs that anyone else might have found it before going through the procedure of setting up properly if everyone is in agreeance.

Search: [roll0]

Machuchang
2013-08-15, 07:34 PM
"Very well then," Eleanora said, as she gave one last round of examination to the horses. "Drayner and I will take second watch, and then we shall depart in the morning."

Marlowe
2013-08-16, 01:32 AM
[I suppose it's time for some Spots and Listens guys]
Spot[roll0]
Listen[roll1]

Wordplay
2013-08-17, 04:40 PM
After Elenora and Drayner have gone to sleep, Raif sits near the cave mouth silently for a while.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Then he turns to Verossa.

'Verossa...please forgive me if I speak out of turn, I mean no offence'.

Raif looks Verossa in the eye.

'Unless I'm much mistaken - you like our Lady Elenora, do you not? I mean as more than a comrade?'

Marlowe
2013-08-21, 11:52 AM
Verossa proceeds to fiddle with the tang of her glaive in one of the most socially inept moves you've seen from her to date. Then seems to stop pretending and turns to Raif, speaking quietly. "Well, obviously yes. I haven't exactly been smooth about it; have I? Yet, she seem uninterested. If not oblivious. Or deliberately obtuse for the sake of politeness. A foolish thought of mine, to be sure. She's a knight, and I'm---still what I was born as. She's far above my place, and I should not obsess her.

I was just hoping that she'd be more as I; someone that takes life's pleasures when they can. There's precious little opportunity, in these times. And--it seems she's not. She's still my leader, and I won't pester her with thoughts of things that can't be."

She stares off ino the gathering darkness. "Has she spoken to you? Have I offended her?"

[I'm not sure if the bit where the head of a polearm is joined to the shaft is actually called the "tang", any advice?:smallredface:]

Wordplay
2013-08-21, 01:21 PM
Raif smiles.

'No I suppose not - you have made your attentions fairly clear. Perhaps it's as you have said - and Dame Elenora is simply being polite. I rather think it's more that the idea of an unconventional love has simply never occurred to her before now...'

'I'm a little unsure about Saltmist, and the environs, but it's my observation that the nobility have an entire culture built around their rather odd ideas about love - men do great deeds, or displays of chivalry, and women are eventually won over by their displays of sacrifice'.

'As one who's looked upon an actual battlefield, the whole thing seems rather ridiculous'.

'The only way for a woman of noble rank, such as Elenora, to take to the field has required her to reject or fight against many of those conventions. Particularly the way the noble culture handles love. I think the two are rather seen as alternatives for someone of Elenora's standing'.

'She's said nothing to me - and I certainly won't say anything to her. I don't think you should give up on her though, if you really do feel a sincere affection'.

'As for considerations of place? I do not think that is such a great matter. After all, she is a noblewoman, and you are a nobleman's daughter'.

'In my experience place is ephemeral - I was born in a condemned cell. I was a slave, then master of slaves. Now even mighty folks give me titles I never asked for 'Brother' and 'Father''. Scratch the surface and you'd find the same guttersnipe, but now I have power, and it suits them to be associated with me. That's all place is in the end. A surface illusion, maintained by the mighty to preserve their power. I wouldn't worry about that too much. Hopefully one day, we may all love each other regardless of our 'station''.

Raif turns to look out of the mouth of the cave, gazing up at the starlight.

'Perhaps it is difficult to deal with at this time - she is our leader after all. Yet as you say, we could die tomorrow. I would talk to her in private, if I were you - and soon'.

Raif squeezes Verossa's shoulder.

'Thank you for feeling able to talk to me about this. I know I may seem a little... odd at times. Or perhaps a little foolish - and indeed sometimes I am. But I do consider myself responsible for the party's welfare - and I take that responsibility seriously. Otherwise, I wouldn't have said anything'.

'I admire both you and Elenora greatly. I hope that the two of you can work through your feelings ... either way'.

Malak'ai
2013-08-21, 09:03 PM
While Raif is staring into the darkness of the night, engrossed in the scudding of the clouds across the sky, something catches the corner of his eye, a slight movement near the ground.
He stares in the direction of the distraction for a few minutes but doesn't see anything more. Must have been some sort of animal.

Marlowe
2013-08-22, 01:32 AM
Verossa gives a short, quiet chuckle. ""Nobleman". For my father that's a courtesy title if I ever heard one. It was the elder generation who--" she breaks off; seeing Raif's distraction, and inclines her glaive in the direction his eyes are looking.

"Something there?" she asks in a very low voice.

Wordplay
2013-08-22, 07:29 AM
'No. Maybe. I'm not sure...'

Raif gazes out of the cave. Quietly, he reaches over to pick up his mace, lying next to where he sits, and hefts it in hand.

'I think it was just a small animal or something...even so'.

Raif draws Drayners wand, and sticks it in his belt. He whispers to Verossa.

'Hmm...maybe we should wake the others - what do you think?'

'On the other hand...I could go and check...invisible, of course'.

Marlowe
2013-08-22, 09:10 AM
"Before you waste a spell on bothering a hedgehog; let's try throwing some rocks and see what we spook", breathes Verossa.

And proceeds to start doing just that, picking up some loose stones from the cavern floor and gently underarming them in the direction Raif has indicated.

Malak'ai
2013-08-22, 10:06 PM
The stones drop noisily into the grasses and bushes, causing them to rustle even more in the wind.

**Another Spot and Listen Check please Word and Marlowe.**

**Sidwwinder, hover and Simba.**
It's be a long couple of days. Running when it's clear. Hiding when it's not... How'd it come to this?

Two days before you and your group, 13 of you in total, were hunkered down watching as a regiment of Gnolls made there way north a few miles away from the eastern edge of the siege lines, waiting for your target. The wagon train your informant had told you about.
Not only would this raid net you food for the survivors from the destroyed nearby villages, fodder for the animals and best of all, Weapons.

As the afternoon sun rose higher in the sky, the first wagon rolls into sight, accompanied by 4 Orc's with crossbows. In the following few minutes, the rest of the train comes into view.
A quick count of both the wagons and guards gets you a little uneasy. Twice as many guards and only 2/3's the number of wagons. Could the informant have just gotten it wrong?

Aldraan, a soldier from Blossemwood itself began to smile as he slowly knocked an arrow to his bow to give the signal to the other groups of raiders that would rush in and block the enemies path.
As he drew the fletching back to his ear, his head snaps up, a confused look crossing his face before his arms start shaking, his whole body quivering.
Falling backwards, he looses the shaft straight through the neck of a Dwarf a little way down the line.

That's how it started. You still have no idea what caused Aldraan to falter. You'd seen him hold a shot for nearly an hour without breaking a sweat or batting an eyelid.
But here you are now. Running. First you'd thought to return to main refuge, but after a little bit of argument it was decided to hide out in one of the other safe holds for a while before heading back.

When you started your retreat there were 6 of you, now only 3.
Dourus was the first to fall while on the run, having gotten his foot trapped between some rocks and snapping his ankle.
Rulen, the Gnome never woke up the next morning, and finally, Odris had just stopped running and fell on his face in the grass.

That had been nearly 8 hours ago, and finally, you're approaching your destination. Tired, dirty and almost drained of energy.

**Spot and Listen Checks please, and if you could keep everything in spoilers for now that would be great, thank you.**

Simba
2013-08-23, 12:07 AM
Trisha

Sidwwinder2k
2013-08-23, 12:32 AM
Cora

Cora stumbles as she walks through the dark grassland, leading Alton by his harness, letting the great beast of a mutt walk rather than running as they had been since before it got dark. He was a hardy animal, and had been her friend and mount for some time, but even he could not carry her and all her gear at a dead run for as long as they had been fleeing... whatever it was.

Finally they were approaching the hold fast they had been running for though, and Cora hoped she could have a spare moment just to rest her mind before they continued on, and before the thing that was chasing them finally caught up.

Listen:[roll1]

Marlowe
2013-08-23, 05:38 AM
Spot:[roll0]
Listen[roll1]

hoverfrog
2013-08-23, 05:53 AM
Mink
Mink
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Gort
Spot [roll2]
Listen [roll3]

Mink hated this, the fear, the dirt, the stink of it all and her blisters had blisters. She just wanted to find a decent tavern and climb into a tub for a week. She had been dragged out to assist in a raid, something she was ill suited to at the best of times. One day, that was all it was supposed to be, one day. That was why she was wearing the wrong shoes or rather she had been. Now she was wearing Ander's old army issue boots. The thought of dead man's shoes nearly bought tears to her eyes.

The ladies with her were being much more practical about the whole palaver so she tried not to complain too much. It didn't change matters and besides, they were probably tired of hearing it by now. Gort was her only consolation. The ravens feathers were neatly oiled and his shiny beak looked like he had only just finished drinking. She hated to send him off to scout, particularly after what happened to poor little Rulen's owl. He'd just given up on life after that.

Her dress was a ruin and her hair would need cutting, it was so tangled, but she had to keep going. There was nothing else for it. When they reached this "secure location" she'd be able to rest. Until then she'd try to emulate the stoicism of the other two...even if her feet were killing her.

OOC
I assume if we can't see our enemy then we haven't thrown any spells at it and so have a full compliment remaining?

Wordplay
2013-08-23, 09:23 AM
Raif peers out into the darkness.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

'I'm worried now - think I'd better wake the others. After all, better safe than sorry'.

Raif moves back into the cave, a gently shakes Drayner then Elenora, whispering

'Awake...I think that there is something outside the cave...it could be nothing but...'

Marlowe
2013-08-23, 11:03 AM
Verossa squats swiss-fashion, covering the cave mouth with her glaive, and speaks in a low voice. "Two things are sure. If foes are out there; the worst thing either of us could do is abandon this position and blunder about looking for them in the dark. And if nothing is out there; the same applies. I'd use the rope-and-torch again, but that might attract unwelcome attention."

She stares into the darkness. Blind and baleful.

"Raif, unless you really saw something, I say let them sleep. A forest is full of noises, and fear kills faster than fireballs. We are on guard. Let us remain on guard."

Wordplay
2013-08-23, 06:58 PM
'I don't know what it was, but it was definitely something - that's for sure'.

'I can make one of us unseen to mortal sight if need be - better to deal with it quickly now, one way or the other'.

Malak'ai
2013-08-23, 09:41 PM
**hoverfrog.**
Since you would have had to have used some in your escape and you haven't been able to get a full 8 hours of rest, no you wouldn't have a full compliment of spells/powers, but you still have most of them.

Trisha and Mink:
As you come over a slight rise in the ground, you can see a couple of figures sitting in the entrance of one of the caves. About 80' from them you notice more movement in the grass, small furrows making their way towards the figures. Though the people in the cave mouth seem to be talking, you're to far away to hear what they're saying.

Cora:
As you come over a slight rise in the ground you can just make out some of the entrances to the cave system that you'd been told will be safe to hide in.

Raif:
When you gaze out into the darkness again after Verossa tries her trick with the stones you can see movement up on a rise, about 130' - 150' away from you. They're still too far away to make out clearly though.
Over the gusting of the wind you occasionally hear some of the grass rustling more excessively than what the wind would have caused.

Verossa:
Yep, there's wind. Oh, and look... a Pinecone!

Marlowe
2013-08-23, 10:01 PM
"Careful, I see a pinecone", quoth Verossa, deadly serious.

hoverfrog
2013-08-24, 02:29 AM
Mink
Mink points at the occupants of the cave mouth, "Our side or there side?" she whispers to her companions. "Can you tell what's moving in the grass?"

OOC
I have 17 spells. Shall we say I've cast [roll0] 0th [roll1] 1st and [roll2] 2nd and I'll pick off them off my list?

Malak'ai
2013-08-24, 03:14 AM
**hover.**
Sounds good to me. Take the most reasonable for an escape/retreat off first.

Wordplay
2013-08-24, 08:57 AM
'I can definitely see something moving... hear something too. Make ready'.

Raif shakes Elenora and Drayner a little more vigorously, until he wakes them.

'Something's out there...'.

Marlowe
2013-08-24, 09:59 AM
Given her own cluelessness in this sort of situation, and the warning, Verossa buttons her lip and takes a couple of steps back into the cavern mouth to make her less an obvious target for any prospective ranged attacks. She keeps her glaive covering the entrance.

If this turns out to be some intelligently nocturnal pack of goats...well. We really need somebody with wilderness smarts. I've spent too much time between walls of some sort.

Wordplay
2013-08-24, 10:08 AM
Once Elenora and Drayner are awake, Raif moves over to Verossa.

'Would you like me to make you invisible?'

If she answers no, Raif makes motions, and mutters to himself, as he readies a spell.
Either cast Invisibility on Verossa, or ready Spiritual Weapon.

Marlowe
2013-08-24, 10:13 AM
Verossa speaks very low. "Best save it for yourself or for Drayner. I'm accustomed to having people run at me thinking it will be worse for me than for them. I'm still alive because I prove them wrong, and take care of those at my back"

Sidwwinder2k
2013-08-25, 11:07 PM
Cora
"I'm not sure, are there people out there?" Cora whispers back in response to Mink's question. She had thought the woman would be entirely useless in the wilderness, as well as in a hostile situation when their group set out, but she had since proven the halfling's assumptions incorrect; and she clearly had better eyes than Cora.

"I can't see anything in this dark" She hisses at the other two as she swings up into Alton's saddle in hopes of getting a better view, the beast drooling from his great jowls as his tongue lolls out the side of his mouth. She strains her eyes in the darkness towards the cave mouth that they have been trying to reach for so long, hoping she might be able to make out the figures in question.

Spot again if Cora is allowed to, maybe she can determine if the figures are friendly or not.

Roll: [roll0]

Wow, that was bad... obviously she sees nothing else useful... :smallconfused:

Whether she sees anything or not she leans over to speak quietly to Mink and Trisha, the only others of the group they had originally set out with to have survived this long alongside her. "Whether they're friendly or not that's the only place for us to find shelter in miles so far as I recall, and we'll find out soon enough what they are... What should we do?"

Machuchang
2013-08-25, 11:13 PM
Eleanora burst awake and grabbed her sword, nearly leaping to her feet before recognizing Raif's face. Embarrassed, she loosened her grip on the weapon before standing up.

"You have my apologies... I must have slept more soundly than I intended..." She muttered, mostly to herself. She picked up her shield, before cautiously glancing around the clearing.

Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Simba
2013-08-25, 11:29 PM
Trisha

''There's something moving in on them, whoever they are. Let's close in and see what we can. Be ready to help if they're friendlies.

Carefully, Trisha starts picking her way closer to the cave, her bow ready in her hands. She scans the ground in front of the page, trying to identify whatever is closing in on the cave.

Move silently: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]

Spot: [roll2]
Knowledge (nature): [roll3]

hoverfrog
2013-08-26, 03:12 AM
Mink

Mink follows Trisha as quietly as she can, "Come on, just hope that they aren't the enemy."

Hide [roll0]
Move silently [roll1]

Malak'ai
2013-08-26, 07:26 AM
Cora:
Yep. The stars are still above you.

Eleanora:
It's dark. Very dark... You didn't put your helmet on back-to-front again did you?
Asides from not seeing anything, Eleanora's ears pick up, just for a moment, more rustling in the grass than the wind can account for.

Mink and Trisha:
You both slip down the hill without too much hassle, the sounds of your footfalls barely making enough noise to more than a few feet away from you.
As you get into the grass, Mink doesn't take Trisha's lead in ducking her head below the top of the grass, leaving her slightly exposed.

Trisha:
As you take the occasional peek over the grass, you see the furrows in the grass a head of you start to split up. They're still too far ahead of you to make out anything more than whatever happens to be creating them isn't overly large.

**Not too sure what the Know: Nature roll was for, please explain.**

Simba
2013-08-26, 07:35 AM
Not too sure what the Know: Nature roll was for, please explain.

It might be some kind of animal we are looking at. Trisha might recognize it from their behavior. I should have explained myself there, I guess :)

Malak'ai
2013-08-26, 07:40 AM
Trisha:
**Ahh, ok, I understand now.**

You examine the pattern the furrows are taking, and racking your mind, the only things you can come up with are some sort of pack hunting animals like wolves or some of the larger cats, though, you haven't heard of those ever being in this area.

D_Man_7733
2013-08-26, 08:00 AM
Dream sequence for those interested:
Darkness, a void of black in every direction, a feeling of suspension and somehow without having clear knowledge of what was up or down... Leaving Drayner alone to his thoughts I can't believe I was shut down so easily, a single spell renderred me useless... I can't let that happen again... I WON'T! A voice calls out from the distance, "you seek power?" The voice there, but not there, speaking directly through the void. Taking a deep breath and the thought was as loud as a voice in the void Yes, as soon as the thought had occured the world gained orientation, while still blank the only knowledge was that of standing on solid ground, but still there was nothing in the void beyond a body...

"THEN COME AND TAKE IT!" The voice from before shook the very foundation of this reality and a simple red orb appeared ahead of him, taking a step through the void, he approached the orb it flowing with power as he approached, Drayner reached out to touch the orb and as he touches it with the barest of his finger a force flows out attempting to push him back, the whole world begins to go unsteady and while trying to take the power Drayner gets blown back into the endless void.

Bolting upright with Raif's vigorous shaking, Drayner's eyes possess an inhumane look to them, the dark red and occassional blue, deep red like that of blood now, as he looks out at the rest of the area around them.

"What's wrong, is something coming?"

Drayner looks out to the wilderness his eyes adjusting better than they normally would, occassionaly looking to his mithril chain shirt considering putting it on depending on what happened next, It would take a minute to put on, but it could save my life

Activating see the unseen: Gain see invisibilty, as well as darkvision out to 60ft.
spot: [roll0]

Sidwwinder2k
2013-08-26, 05:17 PM
Cora
Cora sighs lightly as the others move off, trying to sneak down the hill towards the safety of the caves, despite the fact that they appear to be under attack any moment. "Nothing for it I guess." she mutters mostly to herself before urging Alton down the hill, whispering into the beast's ear and hoping he understands the need for quiet.
Not really sure how to handle the hide/move silently since Cora is sitting on a dog at the moment. Shall we assume that I make a move silently for the mount as well as hide checks for both? I can always edit the post and do different rolls OOC if needed.

Move Silently Alton:[roll0]
Hide Alton:[roll1]
Hide Cora:[roll2]

EDIT: Well I guess everyone knows where we are now, assuming of course I did rolls how Malak'ai would have wanted... -_-

Wordplay
2013-08-26, 07:01 PM
'Maybe...make ready. I saw something moving out there - and I heard something move. It may be nothing dangerous...but better to be safe rather than sorry'.

Raif turns back towards the mouth of the cave, mace in hand.

'I can render one of us invisible to go out for a look - or we could try calling out'.

'Whatever it is, it's probably trying to remain hidden - either frightened, or an ambush. I'd rather not corner it'.

Malak'ai
2013-08-26, 08:37 PM
Drayner:
Though your ears barely pick up anything other than the wind, your new enhanced vision can clearly see the grass parting in two separate places just under 60' from the cave mouth, they appear to be coming towards the cave on a slight angle.

Cora:
You and Alton slip into the grass without seeming to even make it ripple. Alton's paws picking their way carefully, making a clear path through the grass.
Crouching down against his neck, your head is well below the tops of the grass.

Marlowe
2013-08-27, 12:22 AM
Verossa's glaive and eyes are generally fixed on the cave mouth, but through the occassional glances back toward the rest of the party she can see Drayner looking at his chain shirt. "Just sleep with the thing on, Drayner. I've been sleeping in mine for years. Can anyone see anything?"

D_Man_7733
2013-08-27, 01:09 AM
"I might not have time..." pointing in the direction of the cave mouth and the partings in the grass Drayner speaks in hushed tones, so that only those around him could hear. "It looks like something is over there, two of them, making their way through the grass... I don't think it needs to be said, but I'd rather not be taken by surprise if they are voilent."

Marlowe
2013-08-27, 01:40 AM
"So stand behind me and pray they didn't bring a bow" mutters Verossa. "If there's only two then, assuming they're nothing too unco, I can get a good whack or two into anything that tries to get past me."

Malak'ai
2013-08-27, 03:49 AM
**Raif and Eleanora, could I get 2 DC 16 Fort Saves from each of you please.**

Raif and Eleanora:
When the both of you approach the mouth of cave when Drayner points to where he saw movement in the grass, you both feel two little pricks in your necks, as if you'd just been bitten by something small with two heads.

Machuchang
2013-08-27, 03:56 AM
Eleanora followed Raif to the mouth of the cave when she suddenly felt a couple of small pricks in the back of her neck. Clapping a hand to her wounds, she whirled around defensively.

Fort (1): [roll0]
Fort (2): [roll1]

Wordplay
2013-08-27, 04:12 AM
'Argh, something bit me'.

Raif looks for the source of the bite.

Spot [roll0]
Fort save [roll1]

Assuming he's able, Raif mutters to himself, casting Bless on the party.

+1 on attack rolls and saving throws against fear effects.

Malak'ai
2013-08-27, 04:17 AM
**One more Fort Save please Word.**

hoverfrog
2013-08-27, 04:19 AM
Mink
"Should we alert the occupants to our presence? I'd hate to be mistaken for an intruder and shot."

Wordplay
2013-08-27, 04:37 AM
Raif's vision blurs for a moment...

Fort Save [roll0]

Edit: Blast...

Malak'ai
2013-08-27, 06:37 AM
Eleanora and Raif:
Eleanora takes [roll0] Strength Damage, and needs to take another 2 DC 16 Fort Saves in 10 rounds.

Raif takes [roll1] Strength Damage, and needs to take another 2 DC 16 Fort Saves in 10 rounds.

Rubbing the back of his neck, Raif looks round for what ever it is that might have bit him. While doing so he just notices movement in the rocks off to the left and slightly above him.

As he's casting his spell, he can feel his muscles starting to turn to rubber, thr strength draining away like water in a sieve.
Eleanora also looks a little unsteady, as if she's finding it harder and harder to lift her weapon and shield.

**Initiative for Drayner, Raif, Eleanora and Verossa please.**
**Map**
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q543/Malakai85/CaveAttack1_zps56f32245.jpg (http://s1163.photobucket.com/user/Malakai85/media/CaveAttack1_zps56f32245.jpg.html)

The brown outlined areas are rises, each are steep inclines, 5' up for every 5' across.
{TABLE]Initiative|Buffs|Debuffs|Ability/Effect
Night Goblin 4| - | - | -
Verossa| Bless (+1 on attack rolls and saving throws against fear effects). | - | -
Night Goblin 3| - | - | -
Drayner| Bless (+1 on attack rolls and saving throws against fear effects). | - | Darkvision/See Invisible
Night Goblin 1| - | - | -
Night Goblin 2| - | - | -
Night Goblin 5| - | - | -
Night Goblin 6| - | - | -
Eleanora| Bless (+1 on attack rolls and saving throws against fear effects). | - | 4 Str Damage
Raif| Bless (+1 on attack rolls and saving throws against fear effects). | - | 8 Str Damage, Flat-Footed, Immobile[/TABLE]

D_Man_7733
2013-08-27, 06:53 AM
"huh... are you two okay?" Drayner looks back to the grass to see if the partings in the grass were still there, or if they had moved at all. "Damnit, looks like they made the first move... this is what I wanted to avoid!" Taking up stance behind Verossa, Drayner stands ready to attack at the first sign of movement. Damnit... caught out again

Init: [roll0]

Marlowe
2013-08-27, 09:07 AM
Verossa still glues her attention to the cave mouth, but inwardly she seethes. Something I can't see or defend against. Of course. Gods; Lady. Please give me something I can kill.

Initiative:[roll0]

Wordplay
2013-08-27, 11:45 AM
Raif feels a weakness he hasn't felt for years. The cleric staggers and barely remains standing.

He drops his flail, and the mace from Comsaro, but even then, sinks to his knees.

He's breathless 'I...help, it got me. Something in the rocks. Watch your heads'.

Roll Initiative [roll0]

I'm pretty sure Raif is now flat-footed and immobile. However, he should still be able to cast spells.

Edit: 1! You're kidding me!

Sidwwinder2k
2013-08-27, 07:33 PM
Cora

"I suppose if you and Trisha think it best... I still don't know who exactly you're talking about, all I see is the caves we've been trying so hard to reach." Cora whispers, straining her eyes into the darkness hoping to see these 'figures' the others have apparently seen, but knowing shes unlikely to see anything she hasn't spotted already.

"I guess I would rather not catch an arrow in the dark if I have my way." she says quietly to no one in particular. Then Cora smiles brightly, despite the darkness and their present circumstances. "Maybe they'll end up being friendly, it would be nice to have a moment for us all to rest after running so long..."

Machuchang
2013-08-27, 10:27 PM
"Raif!" Eleanora screamed as she watched her companion hit the ground. Grimacing, she clutched her new blade with two hands.

Now was not the time to forget my armor...

Initiative!: [roll0]

Malak'ai
2013-08-28, 02:06 AM
After Raif hit's the ground and Eleanora screams out, a high pitched, chattering can be heard from all around you, from up in the rocks and down in the grass.

Before any of you can move, a figure pops out from behind a rock about 20' away from the cave mouth, just above head height and raises something in front of it.

Attack Randomiser:
Verossa = 1
Drayner = 2
Raif = 3
Eleanora = 4

[roll0]

Blowpipe Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Crit Confirm (if required): [roll3]
Crit Damage (if required): [roll4]

After a barely audible popping sound, Eleanora hears a small "tck" against her shield.
Looking down, there's a little dart, barely more than an inch long with a bush tuft of what looks like feather at the end sticking in the wood of the only protection she has at the moment.

Simba
2013-08-28, 02:56 AM
Trisha

"There's something attacking them..." Trisha whispers as she moves closer, doing her best to discern more about who or what they are facing.

How close are we by now?

Malak'ai
2013-08-28, 03:14 AM
**You're already marked on the bottom of the map.
Trisha is 115' from the cave mouth. She wont be able to see much at that range in the darkness... She was only able to make out 'figures' before, no actual details.**

Peering into the darkness and through the grass, Trisha can only just make out movement in the cave mouth.

Simba
2013-08-28, 04:33 AM
Trisha

"Let's move, we need to get closer to see who's fighting who. Someone might need help!"

Trisha abandons her sneaking and moves forward in a jog, still doing her best to stay quiet but no longer creeping along.

hoverfrog
2013-08-28, 06:19 AM
Mink

"I have to agree. This crouching and hiding is hurting my knees. I just hope they're on our side." After standing Mink begins to chant and then rushes to catch up with Trisha. Duplicates surround her as they move forward, each sporting the same dirty, torn dress and tangled hair, "Gods of fashion be merciful. Do I really look so awful? Why didn't you tell me? I can't possibly die looking like this. It's unseemly."

META
Cast Mirror Image [roll0] images

Marlowe
2013-08-28, 09:07 AM
"You'll do, I imagine." Verossa charges out of the cave (hopefully keeping the reach of her glaive between any new threats and her compatriots, but it's hard to say) and attempts to take a piece out of the "figure".

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
CCR:[roll2]
CDR:[roll3]

"And that'll do you, I also imagine."

Wordplay
2013-08-28, 06:09 PM
'I'll be alright Elenora. I can still cast. Don't worry about me - just look to your shield'.

Sidwwinder2k
2013-08-28, 07:03 PM
Cora

"Well I guess that's the end of our hiding and sneaking then..." Cora sits up higher on Alton's back, kicking her heels gently into his sides to bring him up to a steady lope through the tall grass; keeping pace with her companions who possessed longer legs. She kept her silence from there, focusing her mind upon the power she could use to affect change in the world around her. Whatever happened, she would be prepared to defend herself if nothing else.

I'm not sure if I can take 10 on concentration while I'm on the riding dog, so I guess I'll roll it out. If the roll ends up not being needed you can always just give me the 10+10 for getting psionic focus up.
Concentration: [roll0]

Malak'ai
2013-08-28, 07:28 PM
Cora:
Drawing back into your own mind, you focus your thoughts into a single point. A light erupts in your mind as your concentration brings about an awareness of everything around you. The way ahead is clear. You know what must be.

**Hopefully this is an alright description. Had no idea how Gaining Psionic Focus would actually look/feel like, so I went with it being similar to "The Flame and the Void/The Oneness" from The Wheel of Time :smallsmile:.**

Verossa rushes out of the cave mouth and up the hill, the blade of aimed low. With a grunt of effort, she plunges her weapon forwards, taking the miniature figure through the gut.
The Night Goblin shrieks in agony as the blade punches right through his internal organs and spine.
Lifting her Glaive and twisting it, she wrenches it free, bisecting the small creature, it's body almost coming in half.

Above and behind her, she (and the rest of you) hear a scream of anger as another Night Goblin pops up on top of a rock.
Verossa, now exposed in the open to a foe who is not only closer (equivalent to 20' away from her) but who also holds the high ground becomes the obvious target the creature raises it's own blow pipe to it's lips.

Blow Pipe Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit Confirm (if required): [roll2]
Crit Damage (if required): [roll3]
Poison Damage: [roll4] Str Damage

**DC 16 Fort Save please Marlowe.
I'll post the "outcome" of this after the results of the saving roll, but we'll continue on with Drayner's turn.**

Marlowe
2013-08-28, 10:22 PM
[Accursed be he that forgot to give the Hexblade good Fort saves. Well, nothing for it.

[roll0]

Malak'ai
2013-08-29, 01:11 AM
The dart catches Verossa in the forearm. She barely feels it pierce her skin, though after a few moments, her arm around the dart starts to itch, then burn. Unlike with Raif and Eleanora though, that's where the effects stop.
Though the stinging burn and itch are annoying, Verossa can carry on without any adverse effects from the poison.

D_Man_7733
2013-08-29, 04:45 AM
Drayner moves to the point where he can see further into the night, and should he fail to spot any more hidden goblins, he instead turns to the origin of the angry scream and, with black energy bristling in his hand, hurls it at the night goblin.

Attack:[roll0] vs Touch AC

Malak'ai
2013-08-29, 04:57 AM
Looking round out over the grass and the hills surrounding the cave, Drayner can clearly see two more paths being made, heading towards the group.

Without clear line of sight, the Warlock turns, hurling his bolt at the only fully visible target, though he didn't seem to take the time to focus on the throw, the dark energy searing through the air between Verossa and the target.

Malak'ai
2013-08-29, 05:09 AM
From behind the rocks off to the right, another Night Goblin pops up, aiming and shooting another dart at Eleanora.

The dart hits the Dame in the thigh, just a small prick, but soon, she feels the same burning itch that radiated through her neck.

**DC 16 Fort Save please Mach.**

Malak'ai
2013-08-29, 05:13 AM
Following behind his comrade, another figure jumps up onto a rock, his own blowpipe come up, aimed at Drayner.

Drayner feels a slight prick on this stomach. Looking down he see's a little feathered needle sticking through the cloth of his shirt.

**DC 16 Fort Save please D_Man.**

Malak'ai
2013-08-29, 05:20 AM
While still looking at the needle in his gut, Drayner can hear a rustle in the grass. He looks up and over his shoulder just in time to see another of the figure jumping at his back, a wicked looking implement in it's hands.

Bone Sword Attack: [roll0]

The blade of the implement scrapes down Drayner's back, and even though it leaves a nasty scratch, it does no other damage.

Malak'ai
2013-08-29, 05:24 AM
As the little creature jumps on Drayner's back, another bolts from the grass. It's beady red eyes fixed on the stricken Raif.
Raising it's own weapon above it's head, it rushes into the cave, right past Eleanora.

**Eleanora get's an AoO against the Night Goblin. After that, it's her turn.**

D_Man_7733
2013-08-29, 05:34 AM
**Damnit, shouldn't have abandoned the chain**

Fort save:[roll0]

Malak'ai
2013-08-29, 05:42 AM
The burning in his gut gets stronger, radiating out through his body.
This knees start getting wobbly, and his arms seem to bow even as he lifts them, his head starts to droop as his neck starts finding it harder to hold it up.

Machuchang
2013-08-29, 10:55 AM
Eleanora grunted as she felt another dart sink into her flesh. Ignoring the pain, she turned her attention to one of the goblins as it charged past her.

Fortitude: [roll0]
Attack of Opportunity: [roll1]

Sorry, the AoO should be +6!

Wordplay
2013-08-29, 11:02 AM
'Elenora, try asking them what they want in Orcish! Maybe we can reason with them'.

hoverfrog
2013-08-29, 11:20 AM
Mink

Continuing forward Mink tried to make out what was going on. They were clearly fighting something but she wasn't sure what. She continued to prepare her magical defences as she strode forward. A field of magical force shimmers for a moment on all four Minks before disappearing from sight.

"For my next spell I can magically cause one of you to grow to double your height if you like? It will make you a target but you'll be much stronger and your weapons will be larger too."

Spot check [roll0]. How much of what is happening can we see?
Cast Mage Armour - AC16 for the next four hours

Sidwwinder2k
2013-08-29, 02:57 PM
Cora

The description was great! I'll probably keep using that one, it really makes sense from my point of view at least. :smallsmile:

Cora concentrates her mental abilities, letting all external and internal distractions fade away to be replaced with a single point of burning white light. As their group closes on the caves, a trickle of clear gel-like substance seems to flow out of some sort of non-space, coalescing in the air before Cora and then flowing against her chest to spread out evenly over her entire body. Her defenses set, Cora tries one last time to spot anything at the caves, hoping to not be the only one riding into an unknown conflict.

Manifesting Inertial armor with a 2 PP boost for +5 armor for the next 4 hours. 3 PP spent.
On a moving horse, though not galloping so DC should only be 11. Concentration: [roll0]

Also, one more spot check to see if Cora can stop getting distractedby shiny things... :smallwink:
Spot: [roll1]

Malak'ai
2013-08-29, 07:37 PM
Before the creature rushes past her, Eleanora feels her leg twinge, even more strength leaving her body like a river over a waterfall.
Fighting the urge to rest her weakened body, the Knight lifts her blade, swinging at the Night Goblin as it tries to rush past.

Seeing the blade starting to descend, the Night Goblin ducks at the last moment, and keeps hurrying over to the stricken Cleric, a wicked smile showing small fangs at the corners of it's mouth as it raises it's bone knife, "What we want 'uman, ith for you to die." it hisses, plunging the knife down.

The tip of the creatures blade grazing down the side of Raif's cheek, leaving a nasty looking, but very shallow cut on it.

Wordplay
2013-08-29, 07:48 PM
'Hnnh'. Raif grunts as the goblin wounds him.

'Excellent - we've established communications'.

'If you want me to die I was planning on doing that anyway, sir - in about thirty years. There was no need to put yourself out'.

Raif winces.

'This seems like a lot of effort to go to over what is essentially a scheduling conflict'.

Killing us may be your immediate goal, but what's the reason why?

'Elenora - if it looks like we're winning, please try and keep at least one alive'.

'Please help Drayner and Verossa - I'll see to this gentleman'.

Malak'ai
2013-08-29, 08:29 PM
Mink:
You can now see the struggle at the cave. Three humans are fighting against some sort of little creature.
There's also one human down in the dirt, one of the creatures on his chest, but still moving.

Cora:
You can now see the people in the cave. They seems to fighting some sort of small creature.

Machuchang
2013-08-29, 08:30 PM
Eleanora nodded at Raif's words.

"As you will, Father," she said, turning her attention back to the battle at large. "I trust that that spineless grunt will be of little consequence to you.

"That goes for the rest of you honor-less dogs!" She bellowed over the din. "You shame yourselves through your unchivalrous conduct, though not nearly so much as by your stench! At least you had the courtesy to attack at night, when your disgusting faces would be obscured!

"But I can see you now, and there is nowhere you can hide. Come! You might as well face me in the open than die with my blade in your back! Have at you!" At that, the Dame took a defensive crouch, bringing her shield up and keeping her sword at the ready.

Eleanora burns one use of Knight's Challenge for Test of Mettle (DC 16 Will Save).

All your enemies within 100 feet with a CR greater than or equal to your character level minus 2 (2+) make Will saves (DC 10 + 1/2 your class level + your Cha modifier). Creatures that fail this save are forced to attack you with their ranged or melee attacks in preference over other available targets. If a foe attacks by casting a spell or using a supernatural ability, he must target you with the attack or include you in the effect’s area.

An opponent compelled to act in this manner is not thrown into a mindless rage and does not have to move to attack you in melee if doing so would provoke attacks of opportunity against him. In such a case, he can use ranged attacks against you or attack any opponents he threatens as normal. If anyone other than you attacks the target, the effect of the test of mettle ends for that specific target.

Eleanora also goes into Total Defense (+4 Dodge to AC for 1 Round, can't attack). Now has AC 16 (no armor).

Shield Block against one goblin for AC 17.

Malak'ai
2013-08-29, 09:36 PM
Will Saves:
Night Goblin 1: [roll0]
Night Goblin 2: [roll1]
Night Goblin 3: [roll2]
Night Goblin 5: [roll3]
Night Goblin 6: [roll4]

All the Night Goblins look at Eleanora, though the one who shot Drayner, and the one who tried poisoning Verossa turn their attention back to their previous targets.

**Eleanora is now the target of Night Goblin's 1, 5 and 6 (one blow gunner to right of the cave and both of the goblin's with the bone swords).**

Wordplay
2013-08-30, 07:56 AM
Raif smiles at Elenora's bravery.

That's quite something...better not let the opportunity go to waste.

Despite his light-hearted words, Raif is furious with the attacking goblin. He focuses his fury, and his will to fight. In his mind, he remembers the battle with the orcs from the day before. Giving the spell shape from the memory, Raif lashes out with mind and magic.

Cast Spiritual Weapon.

If successful, A shimmering battleaxe of pure force materialises into existence in front of the attacking night goblin, and slashes down.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Marlowe
2013-08-30, 08:18 AM
[EDIT: question answered]

Verossa stills an involuntary shout of "Ser Dame" in her throat. Much as she loaths the thought of running around like an idiot berserker and leaving her companions to their own devices; it's clear the blowgunners need to be put down fast.

So what she instead does is shout; "Look! I'm a distraction!", and throws herself at the goblin that shot at her; swinging her glaive high to attempt to cut the creature off at the lower abdomen.
Dam:[roll1]

Malak'ai
2013-08-30, 07:57 PM
The shimmering weapon hammers at the Night Goblin standing over Raif, though the little beast is up to the challenge, deflecting and dodging each strike.

**Night Goblin 6 is no longer affected by Eleanora's Knight's Challenge/Test of Mettle.**

Malak'ai
2013-08-30, 08:08 PM
**Start of Turn 2.**
**Map and Table**
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q543/Malakai85/CaveAttack2_zps73c5ee1a.jpg (http://s1163.photobucket.com/user/Malakai85/media/CaveAttack2_zps73c5ee1a.jpg.html)

The brown outlined areas are rises, each are steep inclines, 5' up for every 5' across.
Night Goblin 4| - | - | DEAD
Verossa| Bless (+1 on attack rolls and saving throws against fear effects). | - | -
Night Goblin 3| - | - | -
Drayner| Bless (+1 on attack rolls and saving throws against fear effects). | - | Darkvision/See Invisible, 5 Str Damage
Night Goblin 1| - | - | Must Target Eleanora.
Night Goblin 2| - | - | -
Night Goblin 5| - | - | Must Target Eleanora.
Cora| Inertial armor (+5 AC) | - | -
Trisha| - | - | -
Mink| Mage Armour (+4 AC) | - | -
Eleanora| Bless (+1 on attack rolls and saving throws against fear effects). | - | 8 Str Damage
Raif| Bless (+1 on attack rolls and saving throws against fear effects). | - | 8 Str Damage, Flat-Footed, Immobile[/TABLE]

Malak'ai
2013-08-30, 08:17 PM
Verossa's blow bites deep into the Night Goblin's hip, but doesn't quite have the force she intended.

The Goblin, being in a position that is certainly to it's disadvantage has two options, shoot the woman again or run.
Natural instincts kicking in, it flails it's blowgun around as it turns tail and tries to scamper up the rocky hill.

**AoO for Verossa. Also, Drayner's turn.**

D_Man_7733
2013-08-30, 09:10 PM
Drayner HP:24 AC:13

Stumbling forward as the goblin scrapes Drayners back he shifts closer to Eleanora and outside the cave, throwing a spear at the Night Goblin that isn't focusing on her, grunting as the flashy motion he usually uses causes an unusual strain on his body in it's weakened state.

Against Night Goblin 2
Attack: [roll0] vs Touch AC

As Drayner finishes his throw and gasps for breath, the dart in his gut falls out as his body heals the damage he's taken.

**new hp at end of turn: 26**

Malak'ai
2013-08-30, 09:20 PM
Drayner's bolt flies true, striking the Night Goblin a return blow to the middle, the dark energies crackling over the creature.

Malak'ai
2013-08-30, 09:25 PM
With a snarl, the Night Goblin 1 screams out, "You tink you tuff 'uman? We kill you all da same!" before taking aim again, letting fly with another dart.

Blowgun Attack: [roll0]

The point of the dart digs into Eleanora's cheek. Bracing for the itch and burning she expected, it didn't come.

Malak'ai
2013-08-30, 09:35 PM
While still shaking, trying to recover from Drayner's bolt, the Night Goblin fires once more at the Warlock.

Blowgun Attack: [roll0]

Hitting Drayner in the shoulder, the blow dart pierces the skin but doesn't do more than irritate him.

Malak'ai
2013-08-30, 09:39 PM
Screaming, lifting it's bone sword high, the Night Goblin who had attacked Drayner previously rushes forwards, past the Warlock to get to Eleanora.

**Drayner get's an AoO. Will resolve the outcome of the Night Goblin's attack after that.**

Malak'ai
2013-08-30, 09:43 PM
Pulling his eyes away from the magical battleaxe, the Goblin standing over Raif sneers, taking advantage of a break in the shimmering weapons attack to try and stab the Cleric again.

The blade strikes across Raif's armoured chest, barely even leaving a mark on the metal.

**Cora's turn. Good Luck!**

Sidwwinder2k
2013-08-30, 11:09 PM
Cora

Cora surveys the scene quickly, spotting what appears to be several goblins attacking some humans in the now dubious shelter of the caves. She does the only thing that comes to mind, reigning up Alton and focusing her mind to lash out and shape a beast within the world. A translucent gel seems to bleed out of thin air, coalescing into a vaguely humanoid shaped construct right near the two goblins that seem to be harassing the humans from a nearby rise. "We have to help them!" she says to her companions, clearly not waiting for another decision.

Manifesting Astral Construct with 3 PP in B6.

Level/Size: 2/Medium
Speed: 40 ft.
HP: [roll0]
AC: 18
Attack: Slam+4
Damage: 1d8+4
Menu Choices: Improved Slam Attack, Cleave (Boost Construct feat)

The construct moves forward almost the instant it comes into existence at Cora's mental direction and swings one mostly featureless arm at the nearest goblin.

Construct moves to A5.

Slam Attack: [roll1]

Crit Confirm if Needed: [roll3]
Crit Damage if Needed: [roll4]

Marlowe
2013-08-31, 12:24 AM
Verossa's AoO
Dam:[roll1]

Wordplay
2013-08-31, 03:30 AM
Raif speaks to Night Goblin 6.

'That axe will keep attacking until you are dead. Even if I were dying, it would continue its assault. Your weapon can barely scratch me and I can heal my own wounds, practically indefinitely'.

'My companions are skilled soldiers. Your only chance is surrender. We have accepted surrenders before'.

Unless the goblin replies or throws down his or her weapon, the axe slashes at him again, and Raif casts again.

Spiritual Weapon
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Summon Monster I (Celestial Badger) square H1

The air shimmers as a silvery badger pops into existence next to Raif.

D_Man_7733
2013-08-31, 03:33 AM
As the night goblin wielding the bone run past him and tries to land a solid punch on the back of it's head as it moves towards Eleanora.

Attack: [roll0]

Wordplay
2013-08-31, 03:36 AM
Heh, natural 20. Crit confirm [roll0]
Crit Damage [roll1]

hoverfrog
2013-08-31, 05:43 AM
"Trisha, I hope this helps." Mink launches into a complex incantation as she walks forward.

OOC
Move to J8 and cast a spell. Enlarge Person has a one round casting time.
In case I'm attacked in that round here's a concentration check [roll0]

Marlowe
2013-08-31, 07:18 AM
[Well, if raif has gone, I'm next in line.:smallsmile:]

Verossa snarls as the nimble creature evades her attack and scarpers. Still, he can't shoot while he's running. And at least one of us can shoot further than he.

She turns to survey the fight and her eyes widen when he sees the glowy, transluscent---thing attack a goblin. That's new. Still, priorities. I see a great crime against nature over there; two live goblins.

[Moves to J5, then charges to C5, attacking Goblin2 and threatening goblin1]

Damage:[roll1]

Malak'ai
2013-09-01, 12:11 AM
Less than a heartbeat after Cora concentrates on bringing the being into existence it moves and swings at the Night Goblin. Unfortunately it tries striking to high, it's attack going way over the Goblin's head.

Meanwhile, Verossa take the opportunity of the Goblin turning it's back to strike again, but it manages to get just out of her reach before she can land the blow.

Back in the cave, Raif's shimmering battleaxe strikes again, this time the Night Goblin isn't able to parry or dodge it. The translucent blade bites deep into the Goblin's shoulder.
While the magically created axe attacks the creature, the air shimmers and a badger, outlined with a blue-white glow appears, looking around a little bewildered.

As the Goblin who had tried to stab Drayner rushes to attack Elanora, Drayner lashes out with his fist, though the Night Goblin ducks under the punch and continues to charge the Knight.

The Night Goblin's bone blade slips past the Dame's shield, nicking her elbow, but not doing anything more then barely drawing a few drops of blood.

** Night Goblin 5 is no longer under the effect of Eleanora's Knight's Challenge/Test of Mettle.**

Just waiting on Simba to take Trisha's turn, then Mach can finish the round with Eleanora's.**

Simba
2013-09-03, 12:37 AM
Trisha

Unsure about who they are facing but sure that the Goblins need to be taken care of, Trisha moves forward a few steps to get a clear line of fire towards one of the creatures. Lifting her bow she fires a single arrow at her target.

Activate Gloves of Agile Striking
Move to H9
Attack NG2: [roll0]
damage: [roll1] + Skirmish [roll2]
crit confirm: [roll3]
crit damage: [roll4]

Malak'ai
2013-09-03, 01:32 AM
Trisha's arrow speeds through the air until it bursts through the Goblin's throat.
All that can be heard from the creature as it slumps to the ground is a wet gurgling and the thrashing of it's feet against the stony hill.

Machuchang
2013-09-03, 01:34 AM
Eleanora grunted as the goblin's blade snaked beneath her shield, slashing against her arm. Whipping her shield back, she quickly dropped and pivoted, sending a sweeping kick toward her opponent's legs.

Trip (Unarmed Melee Touch Attack): [roll0]

Attack (if Trip attempt it successful): [roll1]
Crit Confirm: [roll3]
Crit Damage: [roll4]

Relevant Abilities:
Improved Trip

Bulwark of Defense (Ex): When you reach 3rd level, an
opponent that begins its turn in your threatened area treats
all the squares that you threaten as difficult terrain.

Malak'ai
2013-09-03, 02:35 AM
**Mach, I need a Str check from you. You get +4 for being a size category bigger than the Night Goblins.**

Night Goblin Dex Check to avoid being tripped: [roll0]

Machuchang
2013-09-03, 09:59 AM
**Mach, I need a Str check from you. You get +4 for being a size category bigger than the Night Goblins.**

Night Goblin Dex Check to avoid being tripped: [roll0]

**Ack, sorry! I must've been pretty tired last night, it looks like I added that to the touch attack. Hope I still hit. :smalltongue:

Strength Check: [roll0]

Malak'ai
2013-09-03, 08:51 PM
Eleanora's sweeping kick catches the Night Goblin on the ankle, causing it to stumble, but it manages to keep it's feet.

**Could Simba and Sidwwinder roll individual Initiative please.**

Simba
2013-09-03, 11:30 PM
Trisha's Initiative: [roll0]

Malak'ai
2013-09-03, 11:39 PM
**Turn 3.**
**Map and Initiative Table.**

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q543/Malakai85/CaveAttack3_zpsfaee5401.jpg (http://s1163.photobucket.com/user/Malakai85/media/CaveAttack3_zpsfaee5401.jpg.html)

Night Goblin 4| - | - | DEAD
Trisha| Enlarge Person | - | -
Cora| Inertial armor (+5 AC) | - | -
Night Goblin 3| - | - | DEAD
Drayner| Bless (+1 on attack rolls and saving throws against fear effects). | - | Darkvision/See Invisible, 5 Str Damage
Mink| Mage Armour (+4 AC) | - | -
Night Goblin 1| - | - | DEAD
Night Goblin 2| - | - | DEAD
Night Goblin 5| - | - | DEAD
Eleanora| Bless (+1 on attack rolls and saving throws against fear effects). | - | 8 Str Damage

**Turn 3 starts with Trisha.**

Simba
2013-09-04, 12:10 AM
Trisha

Targeting the next goblin, Trisha stands still and lets fly.

Is she really enlarged? Must have missed that, including the effects now.
attacking NG1: [roll0] (-2 due to enlarge included)
damage: [roll1] + [roll2] (damage for large longbow included now)

Malak'ai
2013-09-04, 12:32 AM
Trisha's arrow sails straight and pierces the Goblin through the middle just below the ribs. The Night Goblin stares down at the shaft sticking out of it, it's mouth agape before falling to it's knees, it's eyes turning glassy as it dies.

**I'm thinking Marlowe might want to retcon Verossa's previous post and decide on a new action.**