PDA

View Full Version : What kind of effect would limepowder have?

Seharvepernfan
2013-06-24, 05:05 AM
If you threw a bucket of it at someone?

If you dumped a bucket of it into water?

limejuicepowder
2013-06-24, 06:10 AM
I speak from personal experience here. Limepowder by itself is fairly unextraordinary, but if you add a liquid of somesort (my preference is cherry/apple juicy juice), it becomes the most refreshing of elixirs. I drink it quite often, and am rather known for it.

Yora
2013-06-24, 06:45 AM
The other lime, I assume.

Seharvepernfan
2013-06-24, 07:07 AM
I speak from personal experience here. Limepowder by itself is fairly unextraordinary, but if you add a liquid of somesort (my preference is cherry/apple juicy juice), it becomes the most refreshing of elixirs. I drink it quite often, and am rather known for it.

I was asking what would happen if I threw you at someone, or into water.

EDIT: CAUTION! obvious SARCASM!

Eldan
2013-06-24, 07:16 AM
Anything corrosive deals acid damage in D&D, normally.

Seharvepernfan
2013-06-24, 07:26 AM
I just don't know exactly how corrosive it is, or what materials it affects best, how strongly it reacts to water, and things like that.

Yora
2013-06-24, 07:28 AM
Do you mean dried lemons or lye?

Eldan
2013-06-24, 07:32 AM
Do you want an answer that follows the D&D rules closely, or a real-world physics answer? :smallconfused:

Because to be balanced within D&D, I'd just say "1d6 points of acid damage."

Seharvepernfan
2013-06-24, 07:36 AM
The other lime, I assume.

Yes. Obligatory text.

Seharvepernfan
2013-06-24, 07:38 AM
Do you want an answer that follows the D&D rules closely, or a real-world physics answer? :smallconfused:

Yes, I could adjust from there if I wanted.

Yora
2013-06-24, 07:46 AM
I would probably simply go with 1d6 damage acid.

It's nasty stuff when you get it on your skin, but compared to all the magic fire and acid in D&D, it would be pretty tame.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-24, 09:18 AM
I would rule that it worked like powdered acid. If you mixed it with water you got an acid vial. Smaller ratio's would create a ingested poison.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-24, 09:56 AM
The problem with questions like this is that they assume real-world physics haven't been completely replaced by fantasy-world magic. In fact, if a substance doesn't have an entry in a rule-book, and the DM doesn't have a house rule covering the substance, it very likely may have no effect whatsoever.

Imagine a group of wizards sitting around the table playing a game of Offices and Executives ™ and one of them asking the question "What kind of effect would holy water have if I threw it on someone from Human Resources? Or how about alchemist's fire?"

Seharvepernfan
2013-06-24, 10:18 AM
Yes, I could adjust from there if I wanted.

But seharvepernfan, Eldan's question wasn't a yes/no question!

Yes, I see that now. I meant to say that "a real-world physics answer, because I can adapt from there if I wanted."

cerin616
2013-06-24, 01:15 PM
I would probably simply go with 1d6 damage base.

It's nasty stuff when you get it on your skin, but compared to all the magic fire and acid in D&D, it would be pretty tame.

mix with acid and it is neutralized.

I bring this up because i mentioned adding bases to the game with my DM recently.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-24, 01:32 PM
d20 modern has rules for bases. One could steal those.

cerin616
2013-06-24, 01:35 PM
Powder on floor

lure gelatinous cube

study effects

Astound the world of dnd science.

Eldan
2013-06-24, 03:05 PM
There is, however, precedent for bases dealing acid damage in D&D.

dysprosium
2013-06-24, 03:31 PM
Imagine a group of wizards sitting around the table playing a game of Offices and Executives ™ and one of them asking the question "What kind of effect would holy water have if I threw it on someone from Human Resources? Or how about alchemist's fire?"

This reminds me of that cartoon from the 1e DMG.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_iBDQOXCHTEU/S7-zQt9R-8I/AAAAAAAAAm8/5RRv8funzMo/s1600/papers+paychecks+paycheques+pay+cheques+will+mclea n+dmg+dungeons+dragons+cartoon.JPG

TuggyNE
2013-06-24, 06:08 PM

In case you're wondering, most HR personnel just shrivel up and die if you splash holy water on them. No save. It's really kind of brokenly good.

ericgrau
2013-06-24, 09:28 PM
To answer the first question it wouldn't have much effect until mixed with water. It would slowly start hurting after it reacted with the target's sweat, but it would fall harmlessly off of their clothing. Even what got on their skin would do minimal damage and then after the fight the target would wipe it off before the damage became more significant. IMO 1 damage tops, if even that much. Usually it would only cause severe irritation if removed soon enough.

For the second question if you added it slowly to water you would get something similar to acid when used against organic material, but it may have different effects against other materials. Metal and stone such as golems would probably be unaffected. On the plus side unlike acid it can aid in removing grease & oil, changing them into soap. If you added it too quickly to water it would sputter and splash, doing 1 splash "acid" damage I suppose to adjacent creatures.

Since gelatinous cubes specialize against organic material and don't affect stone or metal, I would assume that their "acid" damage is already from a base. But other creatures made of acid which have acid resistance could be affected by lime.

Malroth
2013-06-24, 09:42 PM
something more like this really http://abcnews.go.com/Health/woman-disfigured-lye-attack-reveals-face/story?id=19082675#.UckDYpx0kdQ

so 1 vile damage per round untill a Heal DC 20 check is made and using it is always an evil act

Raven777
2013-06-24, 09:53 PM
Your link reminded me how horrible the stuff our characters routinely throw at each other actually is... ewww...

Though... if you want to throw bucketfuls of chemicals, might I rather suggest good ol' Chlorine Trifluoride (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_trifluoride)?

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-24, 10:01 PM
Your link reminded me how horrible the stuff our characters routinely throw at each other actually is... ewww...

Except that Hit Point damage fully heals without leaving any scars.

ericgrau
2013-06-24, 10:47 PM
Fully heals, yes, but the rest is fluff left up to the DM. I imagine most wounds that cause someone to start dying would leave a big scar. Heck I have a scar from a small kitchen knife accident, and all I did was throw a big band-aid on it.

Mithril Leaf
2013-06-24, 11:09 PM
Fully heals, yes, but the rest is fluff left up to the DM. I imagine most wounds that cause someone to start dying would leave a big scar. Heck I have a scar from a small kitchen knife accident, and all I did was throw a big band-aid on it.

If worse comes to worse, you've always got regenerate which explicitly regrows missing flesh so should remove any scars.

Raven777
2013-06-25, 06:48 AM

My character's appearance is definitely NOT up to the DM, and woe to any one who tries otherwise.

Coidzor
2013-06-25, 09:54 AM
The problem with questions like this is that they assume real-world physics haven't been completely replaced by fantasy-world magic. In fact, if a substance doesn't have an entry in a rule-book, and the DM doesn't have a house rule covering the substance, it very likely may have no effect whatsoever.

I don't think that's exactly a problem and more the headspace we're supposed to be answering from. :smalltongue:

Besides, we're supposed to assume physics except where the rules of the game say otherwise. So flammable stuff IRL is still flammable in D&D world despite not being explicitly stated to be flammable. C4 will still blow up if you can make it and an appropriate detonator.

The same as if it hit any other evil outsider, of course. What, you think HR is manned by anything other than imps, lemure filing drones, and the occasional higher devil or 'loth.

It'd expose them to burning liquid and broken glass the same as any molotov cocktail.

Andvare
2013-06-25, 03:46 PM
Pathfinder kinda got what you are looking for already:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/herbs-oils-other-substances#TOC-Alkali-Salt

or dissolved in water:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/herbs-oils-other-substances#TOC-Alkali-Flask

(and it would be real world chemistry, and not really physics)