PDA

View Full Version : AD&D2: Magic item for a Lvl 12 wizard

Pilo
2013-06-24, 05:25 AM
Hello,

I am a 12th level Transmuter in a AD&D2 game.
Stats with magic items: Str 11, Dex 19, Con 16, Int 25, Wis 13, Cha 16
I currently own:
Staff of power
Pearls of power (lots of them)
Ring of wizardry (Level 1,2,3 and 4)
Ring of protection +5 (AC and saves) and regeneration
Ring of physical invisibility
Ring of truth
Ring of Freedom of Movement
Amulet of protection +3 (AC and saves)
Tiara of protection +1(AC and saves) plus effect of helm of languages comprehension and read magic
Cape of protection +5 (AC and saves)
Belt of many pockets
Bracers of AC2
Gauntlets of dexterity
Mage tower and crafting tools in a Mythal where the time goes 10 times faster.
A level 9 apprentice.

What should I buy (Artefacts are not available on the market)?

Plus I am looking for a way to get a portable portal between a private demi-plan and the location where I am.

Any ideas?

PS: I know I could go through Encyclopedia Magica and find them myself but in this edition magical and cursed items are in the same list and I want to keep the surprise. (I have already spoiled myself to the DMG ones...)

Scots Dragon
2013-06-24, 06:16 AM
Less serious:
You should buy a sphere of annihilation and use it to get rid of all of your current belongings because it looks like the quazar dragon (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?615623-Let-s-Read-AD-amp-D-2e-Spelljammer-Monstrous-Compendium-Appendix-II&p=15157507#post15157507) might wind up eating your world entirely if you don't.

More serious:
Do you really need another magic item? I mean, seriously, you're loaded up like a bloody one-man adventuring party...

Pilo
2013-06-24, 06:52 AM
That's what we get for having killed loads of liches, golems, ghosts, demons and overpowered NPC (like a level 26 priest and his undead hordes) and scavenging Myth Drannor. Our main foe is a "Archi"Balor, liches are just casualties.

satorian
2013-06-24, 09:03 AM
There's not much left, really. I might suggest ioun stones, I guess, basically since you don't have them and that is all I can think of. Er, Staff of the Magi is marginally better than Staff of Power. Do you have a Robe of the Archmagi? A bunch of robes, hey, I guess, like a Robe of Eyes, maybe.

What you really need is an artifact of DM who Can Play Monsters. Unless there are like 20 of you, you shouldn't be toasting liches on a Tuesday at 12th level.

Arsamit
2013-06-24, 09:12 AM
Hello,

I currently own:
Staff of power
Ring of truth
Tiara of protection +1(AC and saves) plus effect of helm of languages comprehension and read magic
Belt of many pockets
Bracers of AC2
Gauntlets of dexterity
A level 9 apprentice.

What should I buy?

Its not what you should buy.... is what you should sell or trade...

1) you can only use 1 ring in each hand.
2) All this dont stack:
Tiara of protection +1(AC and saves) plus effect of helm of languages
so best one is the ring and next the cape the cape (Really you stack all that? what is your AC? and saves? you know -10 is the best armor you can have and 2 are the best save?)
3) your DM should give you less magic items :P

hamlet
2013-06-24, 09:15 AM
Paging Monte Haul. Monty Haul please pick up the white courtesy telephone in the lobby . . .

I hear the Hand of Vecna is real nice.

Pilo
2013-06-24, 09:18 AM
I have no robe indeed, but robe of archimagi is not availlable at the shop the DM says that this is almost an artefact.

Ioun stones are nice, but with only 10HPs, they wont hold more than a round in a fight (which are usually the BBEG have his moonblade cast 1-3 spells (like disintegrate and fireball) then make 12 attacks)

The DM houseruled the magic item stacking regarding protection.
The DM give a lot of magic stuff, then cast spell that destroy it on us.
I do not use more than two rings at once, but I own them.
Please, I am asking for help no lynching.

satorian
2013-06-24, 09:40 AM
Nobody is "lynching" you. We are just making some gentle fun of your DM, not you. What's funny is that the DMG specifically warns against giving away this many magic items. It is thus hard for us to give real advice, since most people never have half the magic items you have, and so they never had to solve your problem themselves.

Lord Torath
2013-06-24, 12:23 PM
A Girdle of Many Pouches is always nice. Just make it invisible and leave it outside before entering your Rope Trick (2nd Level Spell) - Oh, wait, you;ve already listed a Belt of Many Pockets, which is probably the same thing.
How about some Gloves of Missile Snaring? Keep one hand free and be immune to most missiles.
a Wand of Earth and Stone (Dig, Passwall, Move Earth, and Transmute Rock to Mud)
A Pearl of Insight?
A Dagger of Throwing+4 for when you need something physical to hurt your opponent.
Maybe some magical boots?
How about Figurines of Power?

Maybe some gear for your apprentice

Khedrac
2013-06-25, 06:52 AM
It's a long time since I had the 1st Ed AD&D books (*sob*) so I am going off memory but I think I have a viable suggestion or 2:

1) Some method of flying - save your Fly spell for something else.

2) A Wand of Force - I think this was in one of the later 1st Ed books not 2nd Ed. It seemed a useful wand but not great until you read the small print:
It could create a bastard sword of force and walls of force (and possibly a Bigby's hand) but it could be recharged by touching it to one of them which ended the spell and put a charge in the wand.

Yes with this you can take down a wall of force, walk through, and put it back up (though not permanent) behind you - for a net 0 charges spent! Priceless.

Lvl45DM!
2013-06-25, 10:16 AM
Figurines of Wondrous Power kick all kinds of ass. Thats what you need really, some meatshields. Bowl/Censer/Brazier/Stone of Water/Air/Fire/Earth Elemental Summoning also work.
Cube of Force also is pretty cool.
Also I've always enjoyed having a Wand of Negation around.

How the crap did you get 25 INT?

erikun
2013-06-25, 10:52 AM
Hello,

I am a 12th level Transmuter in a AD&D2 game.
Stats with magic items: Str 11, Dex 19, Con 16, Int 25, Wis 13, Cha 16
I currently own:
Staff of power
Ring of truth
Belt of many pockets
Bracers of AC2
Gauntlets of dexterity
A level 9 apprentice.
Is your apprentice similarly equipped, or are you counting "your equipment" as what they're wearing as well? Because why you shouldn't be handing over your staff of power, giving some of your spare AC items and a pearl of power or two to them will ensure they survive to 10th level.

Also, if I recall, 9th level is when crafting magical items starts becoming available. Spending gold to setup a nice base/wizard tower that your apprentice can take care of and make you more stuff isn't a terrible idea. Just make sure you ward and protect it properly.

satorian
2013-06-25, 12:16 PM
How the crap did you get 25 INT?

Oh can I guess? Ring of three wishes and the 5 int Tome?

Remember, he buys pretty much everything he wants, except for the Robe of the Archmagi.

Another idea: put your apprentice in the Apparatus of Kwalish (though I agree having him craft might be a better use of his time). But Apparatus of Kwalish!

Dorath
2013-06-25, 01:54 PM
Oh can I guess? Ring of three wishes and the 5 int Tome?

Remember, he buys pretty much everything he wants, except for the Robe of the Archmagi.

Another idea: put your apprentice in the Apparatus of Kwalish (though I agree having him craft might be a better use of his time). But Apparatus of Kwalish!

That still wouldn't get to 25 Int. Wish is only good for 1/10 of a point over 18.

satorian
2013-06-25, 03:32 PM
Have you seen what he has access to? 7 rings of three wishes then.

Dorath
2013-06-25, 10:12 PM
Tome of Understanding only gives one point to an 18 int in 2nd Ed, and can only be done once. That means sixty more wishes to reach 25.

satorian
2013-06-25, 11:59 PM
Oh right, memory failed me. OK, then I assume he had access to lots and lots of wishes through some combination of methods.

Pilo
2013-06-26, 03:06 AM
At first I was an middle aged human with 19 in Int then I asked a powerful wizard to turn me into an elf because that x10 time mythal was making me old really fast (I thought he would use the polymorph+permanency tricks but he use some kind of high sorcery) and then I became a true Grey elf which gave me +2 in Int.
We can also buy a Book of +1 int which is not limited to 18 which cost very much more than a regular one. But I can make 27 000 gp a day without adventuring and 21 000 gp a day while adventuring so I am kind of wealthy so if I buy nothing else, I can buy one per month.

But since I have 21 in Int, the only thing I get from getting more Int is a better chance to ignore illusion spells.

EDIT: Sorry, my native language want to take the control back. I have to be more careful.

satorian
2013-06-26, 09:23 AM
Oh, OK. House rules. No problem with house rules. 2e is designed to have them. Still, by the rules aging isn't supposed to give you above racial max, and you are only supposed to be able to ever use one book to raise the same ability score.

By the way, on English boards we use gp (gold pieces) not po. No problem, but it will make your writing more clear.