PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Good homebrew for a Half-Dwarf race?

KillianHawkeye
2013-06-24, 10:27 AM
Been working on political systems and societal structure for a new campaign setting that takes its inspiration from classic medieval England, particularly with the the monarchy and knights errant and a strong noble class ruling over the peasants, where magic and overt fantasy elements are rare but spectacular. In setting up the demographics, I want the royal family to be mixed between humans and dwarves through marriage, so I need there to exist half-dwarves much like there are half-elves and half-orcs in the Player's Handbook.

Problem is, as far as I know, half-dwarf race was never officially made in 3E or 3.5, so I need to find an alternate solution or else make one myself. Has anybody seen a good write-up for half-dwarf racial stats? Or has advice on which abilities and adjustments would make a good half-dwarf race?

P.S. I am aware Dark Sun has a half-dwarf race called Muls, and that fans updated Dark Sun to 3rd Edition, but I feel the Mul is too heavily influenced by its intended setting and their role as basically being bred to be a slave labor race so it is unsuitable for my purposes. I need something that fits in better with the existing PHB races and a more normal setting.

Eldonauran
2013-06-24, 12:44 PM
There was a 3rd party book, The Complete Guide to Humanoid Races, that had a half-dwarf race (dwarf/human) Basic stats are as follows:

+2 Con, -2 Cha
Medium Size
30ft movement (movement not hampered by armor/heavy loads, like a dwarf)
Stability (as a dwarf)
Low-Light Vision
Endurance as a bonus feat
3 bonus hp at first level, +1 hp per level after (essentially, Toughness + Improved toughness)
+2 on saves versus poison
Languages: Common, Dwarven
Favord Class: Fighter

Unusual Muse
2013-06-24, 02:39 PM
Another third-party book, Bastards & Bloodlines from Green Ronin, has stats for pretty much "half-" everything.

EDIT: While B&B doesn't present a dwarf/human half-dwarf, there are lots of other interesting half-dwarf crossbreeds (including some seriously "wtf?!" ones) such as dwarf/troll, dwarf/hobgoblin, dwarf kuo-toa, dwarf/roper, dwarf/gargoyle, dwarf/winter wolf.

I can't recall now where I came across this, but here's one I homebrewed based on someone else's base. I present to you: the Dwelf!
DWELF:
• +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -4 Charisma: A dwelf inherits the deft hands of its elven parent and the stoutness of its dwarven parent, but the awkwardness of his features makes him difficult to like.
• Humanoid (Dwarf, Elf)
• Medium
• Dwelf base land speed is 25 feet. However, dwelves can move at this speed even when wearing medium armor or when carrying a medium load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations). When carrying a heavy load or wearing heavy armor, the penalty is reduced by half.
• +2 to saving throws against poison and sleep spells, as well as spells and spell-like effects
• Stonecunning: This ability grants a dwelf a +1 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (but not when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. A dwelf who merely comes within 20 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a dwelf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. Also, he retains a weakened version of the dwarven underground instincts; a dwelf gains a +2 to Survival checks underground.
• Stability: A dwelf gains a +2 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
• Low-light Vision: A dwelf can see roughly one-and-a-half times as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She mostly retains the ability to distinguish color and rough detail under these conditions.
• Darkvision: Dwelves can see in the dark up to 30 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise pretty much like normal sight, and dwelves can mostly function with no light at all.
• Automatic Languages: Common, Dwarven, and Elven. Bonus Languages:Draconic, Giant, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Sylvan, Terran, and Undercommon.
• Favored Class: Any.

Pesimismrocks
2013-06-24, 03:47 PM
Races of Ansalon has them. They're pretty similar to half elves with +1 to all saves.

dysprosium
2013-06-24, 03:50 PM
Don't forget the Dark Sun mul!

Dragon 319 iirc had the Dark Sun 3.5 updates.

Unusual Muse
2013-06-24, 06:05 PM
Speaking of the mul, athas.org (http://www.athas.org/products/ds3) also has their own Dark Sun 3.5 conversion. (Click the "Files" link and download the .pdf of the complete conversion... cool stuff.)

Eldonauran
2013-06-24, 07:15 PM
P.S. I am aware Dark Sun has a half-dwarf race called Muls, and that fans updated Dark Sun to 3rd Edition, but I feel the Mul is too heavily influenced by its intended setting and their role as basically being bred to be a slave labor race so it is unsuitable for my purposes. I need something that fits in better with the existing PHB races and a more normal setting.

OP isn't interested in the Muls or Dark Sun conversion. I wasn't going to point this out from just one post, but now that there is two posts referencing the Muls, it needs restated lest the thread get derailed.