PDA

View Full Version : Boomerang Dinosaur Hunter?(3.5

sambouchah
2013-06-24, 01:44 PM
So after everyone in my group left town for over a month me and the two other remaining members decided to start a new campaign. The DM said the world will be created as we go and we can have regional familiarity with weapons or armor(or whatever really) assuming we have a good enough reason for it.

There will be at least three totally green players joining us so I don't want to hog up the power by playing a Wizard or Druid or anything Tier 1. I'm thinking a dinosaur hunting fighter(or ranger maybe) wielding a boomerang and a kukri. How could I use the boomerang to hunt dinosaurs is my question? They don't always kill the creatures they hunt, they use some as beast of burden and some as attack dogs. They have more of the great reptiles than they do other creatures.

Thanks, Sam

Snowbluff
2013-06-24, 02:11 PM
Hi. I just won a Zinc Saucier by building Boomerang Daze and Boomerang Ricochet into my build. The Talenta Boomerang from Ebberon is use by thr Talenta Halflings, who, IIRC, ride around on dinosaurs.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-24, 02:15 PM
A Halfling ranger with favored enemies (animals) and an animal bane boomerang, riding around on a fleshraker sounds about right.

Get an aptitude boomerang and see if you can talk your DM into allowing the giant's halfling rockskipper class.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-24, 02:22 PM
While not particularly relevant to an RPG, most people are unaware that the returning boomerangs were primarily used for fun and that hunting boomerangs actually flew straight. Now that's not as cool in a game, and I'm not trying to kill any cat-girls here, but it does allow me to bring up another point that you might find useful. The returning boomerangs did see use at times for startling birds out of hiding and into waiting nets. When they flew along their elliptical path, the boomerangs could be mistaken for swooping birds of prey.

Similarly, you could use the boomerang not always to kill but to help drive prey into nets or traps. For timid species, set the traps and then attack from the other side and the dinosaurs will run to the traps. For aggressive species, attack from behind the traps and when the dinosaurs try to charge you they will fall into the traps.