PDA

View Full Version : Good Druid Items

Sor-El
2013-06-24, 03:28 PM
Hi,I'm new to these forums and I play a Druid in a game.
I was wondering what good magical items are there for Druids?

hymer
2013-06-24, 03:31 PM
Wilding clasps are great, and they should be attached to stuff like a Periapt of Wisdom or a Belt of Magnificense. Metamagic rods are nice. A Pearl of Speech may (if your DM is ok with it) allow you to speak while wildshaped.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-06-24, 03:37 PM
Dragonscale armor is a no brainer of course.

Magic Item Compendium is probably your best bet to keep an eye out for druid gear. They have similar capacities as Clerics in terms of divine magic items. Pearls of Power (higher level), that sort of thing.

Yajirobe
2013-06-24, 03:38 PM
Dragonhide Breastplate armor with the Wild and Ghost Ward enchantments. I really like the Beast equipment set (try to let your DM add the Wild and Ghost Ward to the armor per MIC rules)

Anklet of Translocation is nice. If you are in a charger wild shape (like Rhino) you may charge two more times per day.

Of course, Wilding Clasps everywhere.

Sor-El
2013-06-24, 03:46 PM
I'm a level 5 with a bear familiar.
I prefer to sit back and let my gnome samurai,elf swashbuckler,and elf hexblade/duskblade fight while I summon things.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-06-24, 03:49 PM
Bead of Karma (SRD) and Ankh of Ascension (MIC) both give +4CL. Useful to make your buffs harder to dispel and to boost your spells.
Mantle of the Beast (CC) Wildshape as a swift action, +1 to natural weapons.
Ring of the Beast (CC) All SNA spells count as a level higher.
Holy Symbol of Nature's Children (CC) +1 CL to all animal related spells.
Artificers Monocle (MIC) cheap & fast identify.
Quarterstaff with Wand Chambers & Wands of Blockade/Instant of Power - useful & cheap utility.
Wand of Cure Light Wounds/Lesser Vigor - cheap out of combat heals.

Calming Sentira Full Plate (SoS) counts as medium armor, +5 concentration

Rubik
2013-06-24, 03:51 PM
Dragonhide Breastplate armor with the Wild and Ghost Ward enchantments.It's MUCH cheaper to toss wilding clasps on your armor than to go with the wild property.

eggynack
2013-06-24, 04:05 PM
For summoning, I'd advise that you begin with a ring of the beast from Complete Champion page 141. For 8000 GP, it lets you cast your summoning spells out of a slot one level lower, and it doesn't need wilding clasps to work in wild shape. Another cool one is golden desert honey from Complete Mage page 136. At 300 GP a pop, it lets you cast your summons as a standard action. Also from Complete Mage, on page 127, is the ring of mighty summons. For 14,000 GP, it lets you max out your summon's hit dice three times a day, and halves their duration. It's not my favorite, but it's pretty nice.

After that, you've mostly got obvious stuff. Everyone loves a belt of battle (MIC page 73), and if you're not running a source of armor (you probably should, with my preference lying with luminous armor from page 102 of the BoED), you can combine it with a monk's belt for bonus points. Belts of battle give extra actions, and everyone loves extra actions, all the time, forever. Combine it with dire tortoise form from page 151 of sandstorm, and golden desert honey, and you're getting double summons in the surprise round. You only get access to that at level 15, but you can always get a surprise round the old fashioned way, or just do this stuff normal style. Basically, if your character can't do something good with extra actions, they weren't very powerful to begin with.

You also obviously want a periapt of wisdom, and maybe an amulet of health. Use wilding clasps, but do it the right way. Combine as many effects on a single item as possible, so that you pay the clasp tax as few times as possible. Remember that, as per page 234 of the MIC, you can toss common magical effects onto your regular equipment, and do so at the cost of the regular items. It's a great way to get the most possible bang for your buck. That's about all I've got for now, but remember, druids are awesome.

hymer
2013-06-24, 04:31 PM
Pearls of Power, forgot that. If you feel like you're holding back on spell output, a set of these at low levels can make quite a difference.

Urpriest
2013-06-24, 04:34 PM
It's MUCH cheaper to toss wilding clasps on your armor than to go with the wild property.

Won't work. It only works if the item could be reasonably worn by your new form, which works for most clothing-style magic items (the same belts wearable by humans can be worn by Dragons, for example) but not for armor, which explicitly requires barding.

Rubik
2013-06-24, 04:39 PM
Won't work. It only works if the item could be reasonably worn by your new form, which works for most clothing-style magic items (the same belts wearable by humans can be worn by Dragons, for example) but not for armor, which explicitly requires barding.And dire apes or (better yet) girallons can't wear vaguely human-shaped armor? They make good forms for THF a greatsword, you know.

Darrin
2013-06-24, 04:40 PM
Hi,I'm new to these forums and I play a Druid in a game.
I was wondering what good magical items are there for Druids?

Cobbled together from some previous posts:

Head:

Headband of Conscious Effort (2000 GP, MIC). 1/day make a Concentration check instead of a Fort save.

Scout's Headband (3400 GP, MIC). 1/day, see invisibility for 10 minutes or true seeing for 1 minute.

Face:

Pearl of Speech (600 GP). This may allow you to speak, activate magic items, and provide verbal components for spells, but ask your DM about it first. You will still need Natural Spell to take care of somatic gestures. Even if you don't spend much time in wildshape, several low-level druid spells allow you to change into an animal form: aspect of the wolf (Spell Compendium), aquatic escape (Complete Scoundrel), winged watcher (Complete Scoundrel).

Third Eye Clarity (3000 GP, MIC). 1/day negate confused, dazed, fascinated, or stunned.

Third Eye Surge (2100 GP, MIC). 3 charges, +2 insight bonus to Str/Dex based checks and all damage rolls for 1 round.

Throat:

Amber Amulet of Vermin: Giant Wasp (800 GP, MIC). 1/day a large-sized flying mount, flanker, trapfinder, corridor-blocker, etc.

Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker (500 GP, MIC). Swift action to move up to half your speed.

Enduring Amulet (1500 GP, MIC). Always-on endure elements, and up to 30 points of fire/cold resistance as an immediate action.

Shoulders:

Cloak of Elemental Protection (1000 GP, MIC). Good "starter" cloak, and you can add a +1 resistance bonus for +1000 GP.

Arms:

Armband of Elusive Action (800 GP, MIC). 1/day negates an AoO, such as from spellcasting, ranged attack, throwing fistfulls of produce flame, etc.

Goodberry Bracelet (2000 GP, MIC). Feed the party, top off their HPs.

Hands:

Gloves of the Starry Sky (1100 GP, MIC). Light spell on command, and swap a prepared spell for magic missile 3/day.

Ring:

Stormfire Ring (4000 GP, MIC). Area effect, negates concealment (including invisibility), and does 25d6 electricity damage *no save*.

Ring of Four Winds (2000 GP, MIC). 4/day featherfall effect, or +2 deflection bonus as an immediate action.

Ring of the Beast (8000 GP, Complete Champion). Probably out of your price range right now, but definitely save up for this. Auto-heightens your SNAs.

Body:

Masterwork Dragonhide Breastplate (700 GP) or Masterwork Darkleaf Breastplate (2600, A&EG). Many will recommend the Wild property, but I actually prefer Beastskin (+2 enhancement, MIC), which gives you access to whatever other armor abilities/augment crystals you might have on it.

Torso:

Tunic of Steady Spellcasting (2500 GP, MIC). +5 competence bonus on all concentration checks, not just for spellcasting.

Waist:

Healing Belt (750 GP, MIC). Horrendously undercosted.

Stone Dragon Belt, Novice (3000 GP, Tome of Battle). Grab Mountain Hammer for all your DR/hardness/redecorating needs.

Feet:

Anklets of Translocation (1400 GP, MIC). Swift action 10' teleport 2/day, great way to get out of a grapple or give yourself room to cast a spell.

Held:

Golden Desert Honey (300 GP, Complete Mage). This is an optional material component that quickens your summoning spells to one standard action.

Pearl of Power (1000 GP, DMG). You never know when you'll need another endure elements, longstrider, etc.

Ehlonna's Seed Pouch (1400 GP, MIC). To access the relic power, you need to worship the correct deity and spend a feat on True Believer, but... 3/day you get wall of thorns, the treehugger version of solid fog, or a 7HD huge-sized trampling beatstick.

Summoner's Totem (3100 GP, MIC). Lets you buff your SNAs with a spell, up to 3rd level, as a swift action.

Deepbluediver
2013-06-24, 04:42 PM
I have another question that is at least slightley relevant.

There are the "complete" series of supplemental books: Complete Warrior, Complete Arcane, Complete Divine, Complete Champion & Complete Scoundrel (those are the ones I know of anyway).

Was there ever a "complete" book for druids, rangers, and other nature-y types? Or is there something like that except it goes by a different name?

sleepyphoenixx
2013-06-24, 04:45 PM
Masters of the Wild, but that's 3.0. There is plenty of druid stuff in CC and CD though.

eggynack
2013-06-24, 04:46 PM
And dire apes or (better yet) girallons can't wear vaguely human-shaped armor? They make good forms for THF a greatsword, you know.
Girallon is a magical beast, and thus inaccessible unless you're working around that restriction somehow. I don't even see magical beasts on the MoMF list though, so I don't know how to pull that. Also, that list is rather restricted, and doesn't really reflect what I actually want to do as a druid. That mostly means some kinda flying thing, some kinda thing with a different mobility ability that I don't have (swim speed, burrowing, whatever), or some kinda thing that can really pull damage like a brown bear. Great swords are notably not on the druid proficiency list, so I'd also probably use a quarterstaff, for THF purposes, as well as spell target purposes.

Urpriest
2013-06-24, 04:47 PM
I have another question that is at least slightley relevant.

There are the "complete" series of supplemental books: Complete Warrior, Complete Arcane, Complete Divine, Complete Champion & Complete Scoundrel (those are the ones I know of anyway).

Was there ever a "complete" book for druids, rangers, and other nature-y types? Or is there something like that except it goes by a different name?

In the first Complete series, Druids, Rangers, and Barbarians were lumped in to Adventurers. The second series there's probably more content for them in Complete Divine.