PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Trip/AoO optimization

gr8artist
2013-06-24, 03:49 PM
So, I thought up this character for an upcoming campaign, gave him some flavor and fluff, and decided to try a role I'd never really done before. Here's what I've got so far.
Human Kensai 1 /Flowing Monk X /Kensai X
So, yeah, we're adding Int to the monk's MAD problems, but we're going for finesse and Agile enchantments to knock Str off. I got decent stats: 12 Str/17 Dex/12 Con/13 Int/13 Wis/8 Cha
The plan is to trip enemies, and pummel them with AoO's and nonlethal flurries. He's a pacifist, strictly refuses to kill people. He subdues with trip/disarm and knocks enemies unconcious.
1st level spell/day: possibly enlarge person, but I'm looking for a better magus spell. Some kind of buff.
Flowing monk gets an immediate action to trip when someone enters threatened area on a charge, or makes an attack while you threaten them.
Kensai gets exotic weapon/weapon focus at level 1... we choose the flying talon, for 10' threatened area and the trip/disarm qualities.
We add greater trip and vicious stomp to that, and now we've got 2 AoO's from a successful trip made to interrupt an enemy's attack. That, to me, is awesome.
Weapon finesse let me trip with my weapon using Dex instead of Str for CMB. Combat reflexes is a must, but what other feats/abilities/items would complement this character. I get diminished spellcasting, so my spells need to be buffs and utility more than damage/CC, which is challenging for the Magus/Kensai. Lunge is an option, as well as whirlwind attack. Something to let me flurry with my Flying Talon would be nice.
Headband of int/wis and belt of dex. Agile enchant on amulet of mighty fists. Include other AC items as possible.

Occasional Sage
2013-06-24, 05:48 PM
Actually, Finesse only allows Dex to attacks. For trips you need Agile Maneuvers.

Because there was a reason to split those, right?

Right?

:smallfrown:

ETA: the Stand Still feat would be a good addition.

grarrrg
2013-06-24, 06:00 PM
Actually, Finesse only allows Dex to attacks. For trips you need Agile Maneuvers.

There was a FAQ/Errata/Thingy on this
Weapon Finesse (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/weapon-finesse-combat---final)
" if you're attempting a disarm, sunder, or trip maneuver, you can apply your Dex bonus instead of your Str mod on the combat maneuver check (assuming you're using a finessable weapon, of course)"

He can also take Fury's Fall (www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/fury-s-fall-combat) and wind up with DOUBLE DEX to Trip attempts.

Occasional Sage
2013-06-24, 06:12 PM
There was a FAQ/Errata/Thingy on this
Weapon Finesse (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/weapon-finesse-combat---final)
" if you're attempting a disarm, sunder, or trip maneuver, you can apply your Dex bonus instead of your Str mod on the combat maneuver check (assuming you're using a finessable weapon, of course)"

He can also take Fury's Fall (www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/fury-s-fall-combat) and wind up with DOUBLE DEX to Trip attempts.

Ah good. I have an srd app, which doesn't include FAQs. I'll ratchet down my crankiness then.

Doesn't Finesse + Fury's Fall not work, because you're trying to stack two bonuses from the same source?

grarrrg
2013-06-24, 06:26 PM
Ah good. I have an srd app, which doesn't include FAQs. I'll ratchet down my crankiness then.

Doesn't Finesse + Fury's Fall not work, because you're trying to stack two bonuses from the same source?

The bonuses come from different sources (Source is the feats, they are simply using your DEX to determine how big the bonus is).

One "replaces" STR with DEX, the other "adds" DEX (if BOTH 'replaced' then they wouldn't work together).

The bonuses are Untyped.

No reason they wouldn't stack.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-06-24, 07:14 PM
If you want a functional AoO/maneuver build in PF, I suggest you look at Synthesist Summoner or even just the Eidolon of a normal summoner. Get tons of natural attacks, tons of str, eventually get to grow to insane sizes, extend reach even further than the size allows, and oh yeah... you can chain maneuvers off your natural attacks so you're mauling people AND tripping/whatever them simultaneously.

Make sure you go Half-Elf for the evo points of favored class.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-06-24, 07:23 PM

Doesn't Finesse + Fury's Fall not work, because you're trying to stack two bonuses from the same source?I checked that errata, and the source just leads you to the amazon page to buy the core rulebook? Personally, I would prefer to be able to use a source that could actually be cited to some official source.

Is there one for that Errata FAQ?

grarrrg
2013-06-24, 09:15 PM
I checked that errata, and the source just leads you to the amazon page to buy the core rulebook? Personally, I would prefer to be able to use a source that could actually be cited to some official source.

Is there one for that Errata FAQ?

Yeah...the SRD is like that sometimes...
Actual FAQ linky (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9ojt)

Occasional Sage
2013-06-25, 07:39 AM
Hey, at least you get the errata and FAQ.

Ah, the FEAT is the source! I'm fine now, carry on!