PDA

View Full Version : Help as a DM.

Sor-El
2013-06-24, 05:19 PM
I have a couple of people in this game and I want to engross them in my story.
They have pretty much just been traveling around.
One is an Elepher(Elephant race that gets +2 to Str at a -2 to Dex)Barbarian/Cleric
Another is a Desert Elf Ranger/Purple Dragon Knight with a Camel familiar(the camel is a stoned passifist)
One is a High Elf Monk
One an Auroros(Dog race that gets +2 to Wis and Str at a -2 to Int and Dex) Ranger/Beastmaster with a moderately retarded crocodile in full plate armor.
And the final one is a Kender(+2 to Dex and Cha at a -2 to Str and Wis) Rogue/Thief-Acrobat.

Renegade Paladin
2013-06-24, 05:24 PM
Okay. What is your story?

Sor-El
2013-06-24, 05:36 PM
Pretty typical stuff.
A cataclysm that happened a long time ago is repeating itself.
It involves demons and devils.
The party are the reincarnation of the heroes that vanquished them before.
They were reunited after 5 years of traveling and found there home village burned to the ground.(They grew up in an orphanage except for the Desert Elf and Monk)
They went to Chakran(my big city with a gigantic library to learn more about the cataclysm)
But then they got disinterested.

nedz
2013-06-24, 06:29 PM
Eh, so your problem is that your players are disinterested with your campaign, or your big plot arc ? :smallconfused:

If it's Pretty typical stuff then this could be why ?

Or: are you running a rail-road here ?

Stux
2013-06-24, 06:36 PM
Players won't go to the cataclysm? Bring it to them!

Do you have a BBEG? Someone working to help bring about the cataclysm perhaps? While big bad ancient evil makes a good macguffin, I find the most compelling villains to be those who are a little greyer, who have more complex motivations. Maybe have a think about that.

In this situation I might have this BBEG order an attack with his minions against the city - perhaps with the aim of destroying the library to prevent others learning about the cataclysm and potentially stopping it. Maybe the players wake up in the middle of the night to find a chunk of the city on fire and guards fighting apocalypse cultists in the streets. A guard in his dying breaths reveals that the library was indeed the primary target of the attack. The players have to fight their way to the library to save the librarian/sacred texts/whatever. They get there just after the BBEG's big lackey henchman who lead the attack has left, and have to try and head him off before he escapes so the players can interrogate him and find out who these cultists are.

Abaddona
2013-06-24, 06:47 PM
Why do you think they lost their interest in the story?
It's hard to judge but one of the reasons may be DM railroading: for example if they felt that they do not have real impact on the events - all their decisions will result in same events and thus players basically become some kind of dice-rolling automatons whos only purpose is to further story someone else telling - that sort of thing is pretty discouraging.
Alternatively some aspects of story are boring to them (my current DM gives my character some sort of prophetic dreams - Baldurs Gate style; it was probably hard work for him but for me it's simply several minutes during which he reads some mysteriously-sounding fluff text; what' worse all this stuff is kinda in conflict with my character concept) and they simply are trying to avoid them.
Other reason - maybe they thought that they should gather some experience first, better equipment etc. to make story encounters easier.
They also might have in character reasons to wander around - which stay in conflict with furthering story.
Also maybe they simply wanted something else - if your players prefer lots of combat and your story revolwes around mysteries and social encouters (especially if no one invested in social skills), and you didn't warn them prior to the start of campaign, they may felt bored.

In other words - too little information. Also from RP point of view class/race combo doesn't says much: you should rather ask yours players about their character concepts (for example barbarian/cleric may be shaman of some primitive feral tribe or crusader mercilessly killing infidels). The best solution - ask your players what they want (and also if they like your story).

Sor-El
2013-06-26, 01:25 AM
This is also my first time DM'ing.
I do have a way to get them re-interested.
Thank y'all for the help.

ArcturusV
2013-06-26, 03:01 AM
Well, if you still want more hints, one of the ways I really get players interested is by making them a real player in the setting. What I mean is that they are getting rewards in the game not related directly to the Plot, or to the Character equations (How do I get _____ with the XP and loot being given?). Players who often sit on the fence get a lot more interested in the story and the world when things that aren't mechanically clear are presented to them. When there's no specific rules that tell them exactly how to accomplish something, they are forced to look into the meaty bits of the story to accomplish it.

This can be simple, and relatively old standard things like Politics. How does a hero get knighted? How does he parlay status as a Hedge Knight into a major player in the kingdom? How does he take over? There's other things you can do for them as well, particularly as they level up in the game. Things like guys who owe you a favor are a similarly common one, or reputations that they gain. Look for ways that however they are adventuring and accomplishing their goals might have these possibly unintended effects.

Even if the characters are strictly mechanically oriented, and that's their interest, doing things like that still sucker them in and get them to play a bit more rather than just waiting for the dice to come out. Because they know that having someone that owes them a favor... or a lord that wants to sponsor them for nobility... or having an infamous reputation... all things that COULD have a direct, mechanical boost to their character.