PDA

View Full Version : Thrallherd shenanigans: Travel-sized Believers

tuesdayscoming
2013-06-24, 05:21 PM
I'm building a Thrallherd, and I'm looking for a way to travel around with my believers without their being obviously present.

Specifically, what I have in mind is to literally store my highest level believers IN my psicrystal, and then connect with them as needed for Metaconcerts.

The only method that comes to mind for storing them in this way is to use the spell Haunt Shift from Libris Mortis. Of course, this would require that my believers all be undead, which I would like to avoid if at all possible.

Does anyone know of any other spells/effects to permanently bind a creature into an object?

Thanks!

tl;dr: How to store low-level believers in a psicrystal or object easily transportable on one's person?

Malroth
2013-06-24, 05:23 PM
Bag of holding, bottle of air, and a bunch of sparrow hengyokai thralls who live inside the bag of holding

tuesdayscoming
2013-06-24, 05:28 PM
This is a very good suggestion, but I fear that I may not have been clear enough.

I'm specifically looking for a way to 'discorporate' my believers, and bind their minds into an object (or, ideally, my psicrystal).

Malroth
2013-06-24, 05:35 PM
Only way i know of besides Haunt shift or Trap the soul is for them to take levels in Fiend of Posession and i'm pretty sure that rules out "low level"

Psyren
2013-06-24, 05:38 PM
The Fusion -> Astral Seed combo will make them part of you for all time, if you don't mind the whistling sound of flying DMGs.

Malroth
2013-06-24, 05:43 PM
The Fusion -> Astral Seed combo will make them part of you for all time, if you don't mind the whistling sound of flying DMGs.

and don't mind suicide, a week of complete powerless vulnerability afterwords and loosing a level in the process. (although psychic surgery can fix the last part)

Psyren
2013-06-24, 05:45 PM
and don't mind suicide, a week of complete powerless vulnerability afterwords and loosing a level in the process. (although psychic surgery can fix the last part)

"Powerless?" You have access to all your abilities while in crystal form.

tuesdayscoming
2013-06-24, 05:57 PM
Trap the Soul is so close to what I'm looking for. The only issues with it are the costly material component and the 'Permanent' (rather than 'Instantaneous') duration. All the same, thank you very much for bringing that spell to my attention.

Psyren, that is a beautiful trick. I'm only just making my first real foray into the wide world of 3.5 Psionics. Loving every minute of it, and finding tricks like that only helps enhance my appreciation of the system. Clearly verging into the realm of TO, but beautiful nonetheless!

Urpriest
2013-06-24, 06:02 PM
The seldom-used Binding spell might offer some options.

tuesdayscoming
2013-06-24, 06:23 PM
Interesting... The Binding spell could actually work quite well!

As per usual, excellent suggestion, Urpriest!

NEO|Phyte
2013-06-24, 06:50 PM
"Powerless?" You have access to all your abilities while in crystal form.

And if anything interrupts the 10-day recreate your body process, it fails.

Vizzerdrix
2013-06-24, 07:29 PM
Cast Minor Servitor on a bag of marbles/ chess peaces/ coins.

tuesdayscoming
2013-06-24, 07:36 PM
Cast Minor Servitor on a bag of marbles/ chess peaces/ coins.

A very creative solution. While stylish, I'm afraid that this doesn't quite work for my purposes, as I'm looking to form a Metaconcert (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metaconcert.htm) with the bound creatures. As such, they need to be psionic creatures, which I do not believe Minor Servitor can accomplish.

Vizzerdrix
2013-06-24, 07:41 PM
Sure you can. they become 1HD critters with an Int score. give them all hidden power as their starting feat.

tuesdayscoming
2013-06-24, 07:51 PM
Sure you can. they become 1HD critters with an Int score. give them all hidden power as their starting feat.

Fair point. Doing so would allow the Thrallherd (as Metaconcert conductor) to get the bonus to his power DCs; however, the Thrallherd would not be able to learn additional powers from the other Metaconcert participants. Finally, the Metaconcert would be limited to 10x the pp of a single 'psionic marble' (assuming that my reading of Metaconcert is correct, and the manifester must draw the same number of pp from each participant).

Again, it's still a very cool trick. However, for the reasons stated above, I'd rather use my believers, if possible. :smallsmile:

Psyren
2013-06-24, 08:25 PM
And if anything interrupts the 10-day recreate your body process, it fails.

1) Yes, but you have 30 days to find a suitable 10-day span.
2) If you're a psion capable of 8th-level powers and can't think of any way to be by yourself for 10 days, you don't deserve to cheat death :smalltongue:

Malroth
2013-06-24, 10:47 PM
Sounds like a great lv 8-9 plothook to me, the lv 15 thrallherd who enslaved your village when you were children has just manafested Fusion and Astral Seed binding your parents soul into himself and has just started reforming somewhere in the world you have 10 days to find him and stop his resurection or he comes back at full power with your parents souls permanently part of his psyche.

Rubik
2013-06-24, 10:56 PM
So long as every believer you have (make them erudites for a nicely expanded powers list) has access to the Metamorphosis power, they could turn into Fine-sized beads to string around your neck for 1 hour/lvl. (2 hours, Extended.) If they don't have a high enough ML to have it, or their ML isn't high enough for a good duration, try finding ways to get them a psychoactive skin of proteus for all-day item goodness.

Feint's End
2013-06-25, 12:02 AM
Make them metaminds and go to town :smallcool:

Rubik
2013-06-25, 12:15 AM
Make them metaminds and go to town :smallcool:Avoid metaminds until epic because they suck, even for underlings.

Full psions get more pp and a lot more powers known. If you really want the capstone, 3 levels of illithid savant will grant you more and lose you less.

chronomatophobe
2013-06-25, 12:23 AM
If you really want the capstone, 3 levels of illithid savant will grant you more and lose you less.
That is, if you still don't mind the whistling sound of flying DMGs.

Feint's End
2013-06-25, 02:39 AM
Avoid metaminds until epic because they suck, even for underlings.

Full psions get more pp and a lot more powers known. If you really want the capstone, 3 levels of illithid savant will grant you more and lose you less.

Metaminds do suck except for the Hyperconscious version or on Ardents (infinite damage says hello) but you are probably right ... if you are already cheesing that much you might use illithid savant right away.