PDA

View Full Version : Intimidating Strike Feat Grants Massive Plus to Hit?

Silva Stormrage
2013-06-24, 06:26 PM
So reading the feat Intimidating Strike (http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-handbook-ii--80/intimidating-strike--1676/) I noticed that there wasn't a lower bound on the penalty you could apply to your melee attack. RAW would you be able to say take a -20 penalty (Which is effectively a bonus +20) to your attack roll in exchange for taking a -20 bonus (Which is effectively a -20 penalty) to your intimidate check?

Not sure if there is some general rule that states taking negative bonuses is a penalty or vise verse though so not sure if this trick works. Could anyone double check my logic here?

mattie_p
2013-06-24, 06:32 PM
Your own link provides the answer.

You subtract a number from this attack equal to or less than your base attack bonus.
EDIT: Blast, you're talking about a negative subtraction.

jindra34
2013-06-24, 06:34 PM
Except your attack bonus will almost always be positive. And negative numbers are ALWAYS lower than positive numbers. Poor writing by WotC yet again...

mattie_p
2013-06-24, 06:42 PM
Only thing I am seeing is that bonus and penalty are defined terms in the glossary. AFB and at work, so can't link the online definition. That might be your answer.

Barsoom
2013-06-24, 06:45 PM
A modifier can be either positive or negative. A bonus is positive. There's no need for a specific rule on this, because that's what the word 'bonus' means in the English language.

I would, in fact, reverse the burden of proof: if you want a 'negative bonus', since you're the one going against the rules of English language, it's up to you to prove this is allowed by the rules of D&D.

The logic "it doesn't say a negative bonus it's forbidden, therefore it's allowed" does not apply here. It does in fact say it's forbidden. By the use of the word "bonus" in an English text. Which is a word referring to a positive number.

Barsoom
2013-06-24, 06:48 PM
Only thing I am seeing is that bonus and penalty are defined terms in the glossary. AFB and at work, so can't link the online definition. That might be your answer.

It's actually defined in the glossary, you're right:

Bonus: a positive modifier to a die roll.

Case closed.

mattie_p
2013-06-24, 07:18 PM
It's actually defined in the glossary, you're right:

Case closed.

Mission Accomplished. Here's the link (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_bonus&alpha=B), now that I'm home.

Silva Stormrage
2013-06-24, 07:25 PM
Ah thank you, it seemed odd but I couldn't think of a reason why it wouldn't work.

Barsoom
2013-06-24, 08:07 PM
Ah thank you, it seemed odd but I couldn't think of a reason why it wouldn't work.
Like I said, when going against the rules of the English language, the burden of proof is on you. "I can't think of a reason why not" is not good enough. If you want it to work, you need to think of a reason why yes.

Chronos
2013-06-24, 08:54 PM
I wouldn't say that he was going against the normal usage of the English language-- If a positive bonus is good, then a negative bonus is bad.

He is, however, definitely going against the technical terminology of D&D, as demonstrated by the glossary entry.

Kornaki
2013-06-24, 09:01 PM
I wouldn't say that he was going against the normal usage of the English language-- If a positive bonus is good, then a negative bonus is bad.

No, negative bonus is a contradiction. It's like being given a positive penalty - the word is just being used incorrectly

7thW1ckedness
2013-06-24, 10:59 PM
I think an English grammar elemental just dropped dead.

Kornaki
2013-06-24, 11:13 PM
Is that a Grammar Elemental from the land of England or an elemental of English grammar?

Twilightwyrm
2013-06-25, 02:47 AM
Is that a Grammar Elemental from the land of England or an elemental of English grammar?

I'm not sure it could even exist. I would imagine English is far too heterogeneous a language to have an "elemental" of it. Granted the classical elements aren't exactly homogeneous, but English is probably one of the most diverse languages in terms of the general mish-mash of areas that compose it.

sonofzeal
2013-06-25, 03:37 AM
I'm not sure it could even exist. I would imagine English is far too heterogeneous a language to have an "elemental" of it. Granted the classical elements aren't exactly homogeneous, but English is probably one of the most diverse languages in terms of the general mish-mash of areas that compose it.
^ pretty much this. "We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary."