PDA

View Full Version : Bag of Tricksiness

pbdr
2013-06-24, 08:35 PM
Help me design a semi-useful magic item.

One of the payers in my group won't leave me alone about a "bog of tricks". They had one way back when, but it went away when a PC left. They were costantly pulling out woverines and throwing them into combat... It becamse somewhat of a crutch and somewat annoying tot he DM.

SO, I'm going to get my "revenge" (not a bad revenge, but a fun one).

SO I have this idea for a "bag of tricksiness" instead of the standard animals, it will produce one of 3 sea creatures that have some potential effect. Her is what i have thus far:

Bag of Tricksiness – Can pull out a spiny sea urchin, sea cucumber, or cuttle fish. These can be thrown at an enemy for a minor effect. Spiny urchin – DC 12 reflex save or be distracted for one round (spines hurt); sea cucumber – DC 12 reflex or move at half speed for one round (they throw up slippery guts); cuttle fish – DC 12 reflex save or be partially blinded (20% miss chance) for one round (ink in the eyes). Usable 1/day.

The DCs are purposefully low, as are the effects, it's not supposed to be very useful. They group is 8th level.

Comments?

Hammerpriest
2013-06-24, 09:56 PM
"bog of tricks".

That's certainly a lenient DM to let them have an entire bog all to themselves.

karkus
2013-06-24, 10:24 PM
I... I can't tell if this is better or worse than the actual Bag of Tricks... :smallconfused:

Probably both.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-06-24, 10:58 PM
I'd vote for parasites. Giant, flesh eating parasites.

Is this bag supposed to be a cursed item? Or just a variant Bag of Tricks?

Gildedragon
2013-06-24, 11:05 PM
The urchins ought to act as caltrops with poison; a mild one that affects say speed or dex.

pbdr
2013-06-25, 08:10 AM
It's supposed to be fun, and maybe occasionally useful, but never majorly so. Not technically cursed, but kind a tongue in cheek version.

I purposefully didn't want to go with a caltrop effect for the urchin. The idea is to have a minor single round effect, that is approximately equivalent for all of the options. These are not supposed to take out a BBEG, more like mess with a mook....

(P.S. Urchins are painful, but they are brittle. If you aren't barefoot, they won't do much to your feet).

CRtwenty
2013-06-25, 08:22 AM
There should be some random chance of them pulling out something big, like a Manatee or a Baleen Whale. Because the thought of a gigantic whale suddenly popping out of nowhere only to disappear a round later cracks me up. And manatees are just funny in general.

mattie_p
2013-06-25, 09:01 AM
There should be some random chance of them pulling out something big, like a Manatee or a Baleen Whale. Because the thought of a gigantic whale suddenly popping out of nowhere only to disappear a round later cracks me up. And manatees are just funny in general.

Did you just cast Summon Bigger Fish ?

pbdr
2013-06-25, 09:55 AM

Maybe a 1% chance of pulling out a Manatee? Since it's big, the effect could be like a "bull rush"....