PDA

View Full Version : Xen'drik Drow?

gurgleflep
2013-06-24, 09:22 PM
I've only recently found out about them, but I lack any/all Eberron books, so I'm unable to find anything on them. Stat-wise, are they any different than a regular drow? They seem to just be a more tribal version of them, and they worship a scorpion deity whose name I don't know instead of Lolth. This is all stuff google searches told me.

I would like to know more about them, their culture, what classes they'd be, if there's a drider equivalent for them... I'd be happy with any/all information that you all could tell me.

Here are some of the pictures I've come across if it helps any:
https://sites.google.com/site/dimitrizanella/drow_xendrik.jpg http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs22/i/2007/334/4/3/Eberron_Xen__drik_Drow_2_by_D_MAC.jpg http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/344/f/2/drow_anniversary_by_grb76-d34lb5o.jpg

Thank you all for your time.

fishyfishyfishy
2013-06-24, 09:34 PM
As far as statistics go, they are identical. Just like with everything else in Eberron the fluff is different from the default. There's quite a bit about them in the Campaign Setting and even more in Secrets of Xen'drik. Dungeons and Dragons Online takes place in Xen'drik, and is free to play. It's where I first learned about the world of Eberron and was a good starting point for someone without any of the books. Good enough that I went out and bought them. :smallwink:

Here (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Drow) is a link to where you can get plenty of info on the subject. That wiki hasn't led me astray yet.

HunterOfJello
2013-06-24, 09:40 PM
The Drow in Xen'drink are called Umbragen and have all the same stats as Drow. They worship a Scorpion god instead of a spider one though, so it's recommended to change any spider related abilities from drow classes or prestige classes to scorpion related ones if you're going to use those in Eberron.

The scorpion god is named Vulkoor and he has all the same domains and stuff as the Mockery (another eberron god, and possibly the same person).

Umbragen Elves are pretty savage and many of them are really into human sacrifice.

You can find out more about them in the Eberron books, namely the Eberron Campaign Setting and Secrets of Xen'Drik.

ArcturusV
2013-06-24, 09:47 PM
So, they're Drow if Correlleon/Other Elves weren't total pricks? Neat.

Big Fau
2013-06-24, 10:32 PM
So, they're Drow if Correlleon/Other Elves weren't total pricks? Neat.

Addendum: And their mommies love them instead of beat them with whips in the name of a deity that is trying to force her own people to self-destruct.

Also, when the normal elves decide to pick a fight with dinosaur-riding halflings for teh lulz, the Drow kinda have to be badass to keep up.

T.G. Oskar
2013-06-24, 10:47 PM
The Drow in Xen'drink are called Umbragen and have all the same stats as Drow. They worship a Scorpion god instead of a spider one though, so it's recommended to change any spider related abilities from drow classes or prestige classes to scorpion related ones if you're going to use those in Eberron.

The scorpion god is named Vulkoor and he has all the same domains and stuff as the Mockery (another eberron god, and possibly the same person).

Umbragen Elves are pretty savage and many of them are really into human sacrifice.

You can find out more about them in the Eberron books, namely the Eberron Campaign Setting and Secrets of Xen'Drik.

Actually, if I recall correctly, the Umbragen are one of the sub-species of drow. There's the "main" group, which were the group that were left to fend off with the elves left for Aerenal; the Sulatar were the servants of the fire giants and have a tie to Fernia, while the Umbragen basically went deep underground and thus have an affinity with darkness and shadow since the Age of the Dragons.

Personally, I find the drow of Eberron to be far more interesting than their Faerun brethren. Not all drow have to be evil, but pretty much all of them are no-nonsense about their deals. As well, their devotion to Vulkoor (in all of its aspects) isn't as all-encompassing as that of Lolth; while most of their culture revolves around the concept of the scorpion, the existence of the Sulatar and the Umbragen as very different concepts serves as a great deviation, and because of their tribal concept, you can play even the mainstream drow quite differently; some can be helpful, some can be traitorous, some can be cannibalistic, and some can be just like their Faerun brethren with any degree of deviation. The drow of one tribe can be devoted to Vulkoor but mostly patriarchal, while another tribe can be equally devoted but more inclined towards a matriarchy.

Also: consider that Exemplars of Evil suggests that both Corellon Larethian and Lolth exist, but they're quite different. Corellon would be one of the ancestor spirits of the Valenar, while Lolth would be one of the fiends of ages past, including her existence as a Lord of Dust. There's also the path DDO took, where Lolth exists as a fiend called the "Spinner of Shadows", whose only task was to create an interdimensional portal between Eberron and Faerun.

gurgleflep
2013-06-24, 11:07 PM
As far as statistics go, they are identical. Just like with everything else in Eberron the fluff is different from the default. There's quite a bit about them in the Campaign Setting and even more in Secrets of Xen'drik. Dungeons and Dragons Online takes place in Xen'drik, and is free to play. It's where I first learned about the world of Eberron and was a good starting point for someone without any of the books. Good enough that I went out and bought them. :smallwink:

Here (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Drow) is a link to where you can get plenty of info on the subject. That wiki hasn't led me astray yet.

That link was quite helpful, thank you! :smallbiggrin:
The computer I'm on can't run much of anything, so I'll have to wait until my computer's repaired to try the game though - thanks for telling me about it :smallsmile:

Actually, if I recall correctly, the Umbragen are one of the sub-species of drow. There's the "main" group, which were the group that were left to fend off with the elves left for Aerenal; the Sulatar were the servants of the fire giants and have a tie to Fernia, while the Umbragen basically went deep underground and thus have an affinity with darkness and shadow since the Age of the Dragons.

Personally, I find the drow of Eberron to be far more interesting than their Faerun brethren. Not all drow have to be evil, but pretty much all of them are no-nonsense about their deals. As well, their devotion to Vulkoor (in all of its aspects) isn't as all-encompassing as that of Lolth; while most of their culture revolves around the concept of the scorpion, the existence of the Sulatar and the Umbragen as very different concepts serves as a great deviation, and because of their tribal concept, you can play even the mainstream drow quite differently; some can be helpful, some can be traitorous, some can be cannibalistic, and some can be just like their Faerun brethren with any degree of deviation. The drow of one tribe can be devoted to Vulkoor but mostly patriarchal, while another tribe can be equally devoted but more inclined towards a matriarchy.

Also: consider that Exemplars of Evil suggests that both Corellon Larethian and Lolth exist, but they're quite different. Corellon would be one of the ancestor spirits of the Valenar, while Lolth would be one of the fiends of ages past, including her existence as a Lord of Dust. There's also the path DDO took, where Lolth exists as a fiend called the "Spinner of Shadows", whose only task was to create an interdimensional portal between Eberron and Faerun.

Their fluff is a lot more interesting, as you've said. More stuff you can do with them!
I also quite like the idea of an interdimensional alliance :smallamused: it gives me an idea.

Only slightly sidetracking, would one of these drow (now officially my favorite version! :smallbiggrin: Thank you all!) make a good barbarian? Not necessarily stat-wise, but RP wise.

TuggyNE
2013-06-24, 11:39 PM
Only slightly sidetracking, would one of these drow (now officially my favorite version! :smallbiggrin: Thank you all!) make a good barbarian? Not necessarily stat-wise, but RP wise.

Yeah, from what I know, most Drow in Xen'drik are fairly tribal (and at least moderately warlike), so Barbarian would fit in just fine. Better than Fighter, probably.

T.G. Oskar
2013-06-24, 11:44 PM

Since they're basically tribes, a barbarian makes great sense. Their focus would be different (you'd need to add some Constitution to offset their loss, and their powers would be somewhat irrelevant), but usually tribal-origin characters or NPCs will gravitate towards Barbarian, Ranger or Druid (with some being Spirit Shaman or Totemists). They have Survival as a class skill, which is important to their ideal of being self-sufficient (that's pretty much THE tenet for a Vulkoorim, a follower of Vulkoor), and the ACF from Dungeonscape lets them be excellent trap-busters. Note that Sulatar drow are probably best set as Fighters (they're capable of using magic items, particularly fire-related ones), and Umbragen are much more refined than their jungle brethren (and probably inclined towards Shadowcaster and mysteries in general).

Whirling Frenzy is nice, though, coupled with a composite longbow and archery-related feats.

gurgleflep
2013-06-24, 11:45 PM
Yeah, from what I know, most Drow in Xen'drik are fairly tribal (and at least moderately warlike), so Barbarian would fit in just fine. Better than Fighter, probably.

Good, this makes my next character a lot easier to plan. :smallamused:
Thank you Tuggyne.

Since they're basically tribes, a barbarian makes great sense. Their focus would be different (you'd need to add some Constitution to offset their loss, and their powers would be somewhat irrelevant), but usually tribal-origin characters or NPCs will gravitate towards Barbarian, Ranger or Druid (with some being Spirit Shaman or Totemists). They have Survival as a class skill, which is important to their ideal of being self-sufficient (that's pretty much THE tenet for a Vulkoorim, a follower of Vulkoor), and the ACF from Dungeonscape lets them be excellent trap-busters. Note that Sulatar drow are probably best set as Fighters (they're capable of using magic items, particularly fire-related ones), and Umbragen are much more refined than their jungle brethren (and probably inclined towards Shadowcaster and mysteries in general).

Whirling Frenzy is nice, though, coupled with a composite longbow and archery-related feats.

You snuck in while I was replying to Tug, ya danged ninja :smalltongue:

Constitution is going to be one of the main abilities I'm going to worry about, it and strength.
Ranger sounds good, and so does druid, but I'm not the best when it comes to spells.
Any particular way I should use survival?
Whirling Frenzy works with ranged weapons? :smallconfused: I didn't know that.