PDA

View Full Version : Fourth of July in Philly?

noparlpf
2013-06-25, 01:22 AM
Does anybody here know what the Fourth of July is like in Philadelphia? I'm considering heading down there that week, but if it's too messy, I'd rather go another time. I am not a city person. Crowds and uncleanliness get to me.

Palanan
2013-06-26, 10:01 AM
I was in Philly several years ago for a conference. It was spring rather than summer, but there was a decided urban-density feel to it. I'm not at all a city person, and I was staying about twelve blocks away from the conference center, and didn't have a great impression. I did meet a few friendly folks, but it seemed fairly touristy even in early April.

My guess is that it'll be utterly mobbed on the Fourth, especially considering the Liberty Bell and so forth. If you're as much of a non-city person as I am, and if you can reschedule to another weekend, I'd recommend avoiding the Fourth if at all possible.

Zherog
2013-06-26, 01:37 PM
It's extra touristy here that week, with lots of events centered around the July 4th holiday.

That said, I don't know if it's going to feel any more crowded than usual. The downtown area - where most of the major tourist things such as the Liberty Bell are located - is always bustling during the day. If your not into crowds, I'd say Philly isn't a good tourist destination for you; it's always crowded.

The Glyphstone
2013-06-26, 01:39 PM
No idea. I stay inside most of the time anyways, and may end up going to visit out of state on the 4th.

AdmiralCheez
2013-06-27, 04:49 PM
You know, I've lived about a half hour from Philly for 15 years now, and I've never actually gone to a July 4th thing there. All I really ever see is a brief clip of the fireworks display on that evening's news broadcast. But since my town does their own fireworks, and you can see it from my driveway, I don't usually go anywhere that day.

Worira
2013-06-28, 12:16 PM
Well, for one thing, without going into details due to forum rules, there's going to be a fairly major protest.