PDA

View Full Version : Effects of Wildshape on Magic Items

ChemicalPete
2013-06-25, 05:07 AM
Hey Everybody

So a friend of mine is trying to make a druid become more Tank-like in our 3.5 adventure, because our Fighter is rerolling to Cleric and our Barbarian is going Sorceror.

I thought it would be awesome for him to use Wildshape and do some beartanking(yes I play WoW), but I found some weird limitations in that spell...

First you read that Wild Shape is like polymorph and then you realise that polymorph is like Alter Self...NOW

in Alter Self it clearly states, that items that you cannot wear while shapechanged "melds into your new shape and become nonfunctional"...does this mean that magic effects are also lost? I'd say for example +2 deflection AC is a pretty big "Function"-part of my +2 Deflection Ring...but am I missing something?

Basically does Magic items magic still work while shapechanged or is it simply just the new body you have to work with and then cast spells on it to boost your AC?

sleepyphoenixx
2013-06-25, 05:18 AM
Normally all magic items cease to work while wildshaped. There are a few exceptions that specifically function in Wildshape (some of the set items from MIC), everything else needs to be attached to a Wilding Clasp (MIC) to function in WS. For armor, there are the Beastskin (RotW) and Wild (SRD) enhancements.

Uncle Pine
2013-06-25, 05:32 AM
(On Wild Shape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#wildShape)):
Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When the druid reverts to her true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on her body that they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at the druid's feet.

Yes, any item worn by the druid when he uses Wild Shape melds with the body and become nonfunctional. There are some ways around this limitation:
- You can wildling clasps (MIC, 4.000 gp each) and attach them to your equipment. Any piece of equipment with a wildling clasp attached doesn't meld and instead changes its size to fit the new form. Monk's belt is a good item to use with a wildling clasp, since you'll probably have high Wis (note that it doesn't work if you use an armor or a shield).
- You can use an armor with the Wild special ability (CAdv IIRC). Wild armor melds with the new form, lose any armor penalty but you still get the armor bonus to AC. Note that since there's no armor penalty when you're wild shaped, you can take a wild "the heaviest armor you manage to find" +1 and get a big bonus to AC with little effort. This also works with shields. Remember that as a druid you can't use metal armors and metal shields, so you'll have to buy a dragon-hide version of them.

EDIT: Aand... swordsaged (partially) :smallwink:

sonofzeal
2013-06-25, 06:20 AM
Yyyyyyeah, Wildshape as-written is not so much for the tanking.

There's a few ways around that.

+1 Wild Dragonhide Breastplate (or fullplate) is affordable around lvl 8/9
Wildling Clasps are 4k a piece, IIRC, and a Clasp'd Monk's Belt goes a long way.
Speaking of Monks, a one level dip there can be worth it if you plan on being in melee a lot.
Ask your DM how they feel about buying a large-sized Monk's Belt and having a fellow PC put it on you after you Wildshape. It's RAW-legal, but not for every group.
Similarly, there's rules on armor for more exotic body shapes right in the PHB. Ask your DM if you can buy or craft some. Again, it's not for every group, but it does exist.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-06-25, 06:47 AM
If money is a problem sell off your AC enhancing items and buy Pearls of Power instead. Then use spells to boost your AC.

Mage Armor, Luminous Armor, Halo of Sand, Barkskin, Cats Grace, Shield of Faith cover every kind of AC bonus except shield and work regardless of your form. Your party members should have no problem casting them on you if you get them a Pearl of Power to get the spell slot back, if they wouldn't do it anyway.
Investing in CL boosters like Ankh of Ascension and Bead of Karma helps both your AC and duration and protects from dispels.

If you absolutely NEED a specific armor ability get Bracers of Armor +1 with a Wildling Clasp and put it there. This method works with a Monks Belt if you want one or an animated shield if you don't.

ChemicalPete
2013-06-25, 07:13 AM
Well my GM's a bit iffy about it atm...He's talking about not allowing Mage Armor and Barkskin to stack because they're both AC improving spells and hence it's "piling on". So I'm trying to find permanent Magic Soloutions instead(because clearly it's not piling on if it's magic items ;-) ) :-D

Qwertystop
2013-06-25, 07:17 AM
One big option remains "take it off, then put it on after reshaping".

Don't forget that most non-armor resizes to fit by default.

Gerrtt
2013-06-25, 07:45 AM
Well my GM's a bit iffy about it atm...He's talking about not allowing Mage Armor and Barkskin to stack because they're both AC improving spells and hence it's "piling on". So I'm trying to find permanent Magic Soloutions instead(because clearly it's not piling on if it's magic items ;-) ) :-D

I'm sure you know, but since Barkskin gives an enhancement to your "natural armor bonus" and Mage Armor gives an "armor bonus" they aren't the same bonus and thus stack according to the rules. Your DM, by not allowing them to stack, isn't playing a RAW game and it could be worth paying attention to what rules are/aren't in play in such a game.

And here's a relevant link saying that an armor bonus stacks with a natural armor bonus, just for fun.

Link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#armorBonus)

Enjoy.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-06-25, 07:52 AM

Mage Armor is armor AC, Barkskin is natural armor AC. The rules are pretty clear on that.

eggynack
2013-06-25, 10:11 AM
As has been mentioned, that's very much wrong. However, I'd probably skip both of those spells anyway. Barkskin only lasts for 10 minutes/level, so it never just lasts all day, and mage armor requires that you rely on folks that are not you. Instead, as has also been mentioned, use the spell luminous armor from the book of exalted deeds. That thing gives you +5 AC for hours/level, imposes a -4 penalty to melee attacks against you, and only costs a second level slot. That's good stuff right there. In any case, you should probably skip tanking anyways. Your friend has an animal companion, and if you really need tanking, that can serve this purpose admirably. Since you're past level 4, I'd advise the fleshraker from the MM III. That thing is crazy powerful, and can easily tank for your whole party, die horribly in combat, and tank for your whole party again within 24 hours.

Deophaun
2013-06-25, 11:31 AM
First you read that Wild Shape is like polymorph and then you realise that polymorph is like Alter Self...NOW
Actually, it's not. There's errata. It now runs off the alternate form ability (MM)

So what you have to contend with is this:

Any gear worn or carried by the creature that can’t be worn or carried in its new form instead falls to the ground in its space. If the creature changes size, any gear it wears or carries that can be worn or carried in its new form changes size to match the new size. (Nonhumanoid-shaped creatures can’t wear armor designed for humanoid-shaped creatures, and viceversa.) Gear returns to normal size if dropped.

Edit: Nevermind, I forget when they errataed it to alternate form, they also errataed wildshape to still merge items.

Norin
2013-06-25, 11:38 AM
Wat does this mean anyways?

Level: Sanctified 2,

Do i have access to "Sanctified" as Druid by default somehow?

eggynack
2013-06-25, 11:44 AM

Yes, you do. As long as you're not evil, you can prepare sanctified spells (as long as you're preparing spells, rather than spontaneously casting them), and as long as you're good, you can target yourself with luminous armor. You can still hit other good party members, with luminous armor, as a neutral guy. Anyways, the rules for sanctified spells are on pages 83-84 of the BoED, and the relevant quotes are, "Spellcasters prepare sanctified spells just as they do regular spells," and, " wizards, druids, rangers, and paladins can all prepare sanctified spells."

Flickerdart
2013-06-25, 11:44 AM

Prepared divine casters automatically get Sanctified spells to their spells known. I think you have to be Good to use them, though.

eggynack
2013-06-25, 11:46 AM
Prepared divine casters automatically get Sanctified spells to their spells known. I think you have to be Good to use them, though.
Not quite. According to the BoED, ". Evil characters cannot cast sanctified spells," which still leaves them open to neutral folks. Unfortunately, luminous armor's target is, "one good creature touched," so unless you have another good party member who wants luminous armor and can't get it, it's not that helpful.

Flickerdart
2013-06-25, 11:52 AM
I wouldn't put it past the BoVD to rule that touching yourself is an Evil act, though. :smallwink:

eggynack
2013-06-25, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't put it past the BoVD to rule that touching yourself is an Evil act, though. :smallwink:
:smallbiggrin: True enough. However, do note that I don't even think that corrupt spells have the limits that are put on exalted spells. It seems like a good wizard could cast luminous armor and claws of the bebilith on himself at the same time, and those are some odd beans right there. I figure that corrupt spells have a good chance at dipping your alignment to neutral, which could prove problematic for the luminous armor targeting part, but as long as you cast luminous armors to claws of the bebilith at a 10:1 ratio*, which is the ratio I'd likely cast them in anyways, you should be fine.

*This ratio has been determined through careful scientific experimentation, and deep study into the RAW of the game. There is no disputing the fact that this ratio will being you a good character, and it is also obvious that any step away from that ratio shunts you into neutral instantly. Alignment is an exact science.

Norin
2013-06-25, 12:08 PM

Thanks! I had no idea. Maybe i shuld skim over the BoED someday.

Well said, sir! (http://drumsound.net/)