PDA

View Full Version : Plane shift and Accuracy

Crake
2013-06-25, 10:29 AM
Ok, so one of my players is a Janni, and thus has plane shift (to inner planes) at will, but plane shift has a 5-500 mile deviation. What sort of options could I present to him to increase the accuracy of his plane shifts? I'm not looking to make it a 2 action greater teleport or anything, but something to make it easier on him should he somehow find himself needing to use it to say, escape from death.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-25, 11:12 AM
If you are the DM you could create a feat that allows him to upgrade his Plane Shift ability to Greater Plane Shift (SC 159). It still would have the same inaccuracy for locations he has not previously visited, but would not have the inaccuracy if he were retreating to his home or someplace else he has visited before.

I would suggest something like this:

FEAT: Greater Plane Shift
PREREQUISITE: Plane Shift as a supernatural or spell-like ability, 12 or more HD
BENEFIT: Your Plane Shift ability now functions as a Greater Plane Shift instead.

Edit: There should probably be some sort of HD/level requirement as Greater Plane Shift is a higher level effect than Plane Shift. While Clerics get it at 13th, Wizards at 15th, and Sorcerers at 16th I would probably put it at 12th. This way he can take it as a feat at 12th, 15th, or 18th.

Crake
2013-06-25, 11:04 PM
If you are the DM you could create a feat that allows him to upgrade his Plane Shift ability to Greater Plane Shift (SC 159). It still would have the same inaccuracy for locations he has not previously visited, but would not have the inaccuracy if he were retreating to his home or someplace else he has visited before.

I would suggest something like this:

FEAT: Greater Plane Shift
PREREQUISITE: Plane Shift as a supernatural or spell-like ability, 12 or more HD
BENEFIT: Your Plane Shift ability now functions as a Greater Plane Shift instead.

Edit: There should probably be some sort of HD/level requirement as Greater Plane Shift is a higher level effect than Plane Shift. While Clerics get it at 13th, Wizards at 15th, and Sorcerers at 16th I would probably put it at 12th. This way he can take it as a feat at 12th, 15th, or 18th.

Hmm, that sounds like a decent suggestion, I'll present it to the player, see what he thinks

Maginomicon
2013-06-25, 11:54 PM
Use the Cynosure spell (Dragon Magazine #338 page 77). It does exactly what you're looking for.

Spuddles
2013-06-26, 12:10 AM
You could just spam plane shift until you get to within 5 miles of your destination.