View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Silent image and incorporeal

Sceluvia
2013-06-25, 01:33 PM
Thus far i could not find a well builded answer to the question:

Ok so here is the situation:

An enemy casts silent image.
It states in the spell:
Will disbelief (if interacted with)

(My DM agreed that trying to attack, is considered interaction. Which would allow a willsave.)

Now my problem.
This Silent image made an image of a ghost.
A Ghost would be incorporeal.
incorporeal: "It is immune to all nonmagical attack forms." and logical seen an attack would slice through it without dealing dmg (nor provoking any response from it for it did not do anything.)

So this followed:
Our (lvl 1) Rogue would not believe that the ghost was real nor that it was a spell. So he stabbed it with his (2gp) dagger to proof he was right.
(well obviously he failed to stab it.)

but now:
It is a silent image and interacting with it would trigger a willsave.
But it's an image of an incorporeal so would this negate the willsave?

Please give me a well build answer why the save would be granted or not.

Thank you.

Asrrin
2013-06-25, 01:50 PM
I don't have a RAW answer, but if it where up to me I would grant a will save at an increased DC because the illusion is behaving as it is supposed to. the rogue may notice that it's not making any sound or that it looks artificial as he is attacking, but it is still behaving as an incorporeal creature would.

NightbringerGGZ
2013-06-25, 01:57 PM
First off, why are you trying to trick another party member? You're engaging in PVP which is always problematic.

Anyway, any interaction with a Silent Image allows a Will save. That's pretty clear cut. Making an image of a ghost might give you a circumstance bonus depending on what's going on and how well you describe things, but that would be up to the GM.

Personally I think it is reasonable for the rogue to make his will save. He stabs a "ghost" but at the same time maybe he notices something odd with the visual quality of the illusion. Maybe he wonders why he doesn't feel any chill from interacting with the ghost. Maybe it just isn't that great of an illusioin.

Sceluvia
2013-06-25, 02:05 PM
First off, why are you trying to trick another party member? You're engaging in PVP which is always problematic.

Well i didn't cast the image against my party in the first place XD.. But my spell backfired. My quest is now to find out how or why my spell backfired. For the DM told me that me casting the spell did not give any clues. So it was outside my own doing that it happend.

But the session ended with the rogue getting paranoid for his philosofy just shattered (Stab them and they die, if failure stab them harder).

Rabidmuskrat
2013-06-25, 03:05 PM
Well i didn't cast the image against my party in the first place XD.. But my spell backfired. My quest is now to find out how or why my spell backfired. For the DM told me that me casting the spell did not give any clues. So it was outside my own doing that it happend.

But the session ended with the rogue getting paranoid for his philosofy just shattered (Stab them and they die, if failure stab them harder).

Better it shatter now, at level 1, rather than against the first construct/incorporeal/general high CR nasty.