PDA

View Full Version : DMNPC Ideas

Diarmuid
2013-06-25, 02:30 PM
I'm going to be running a module for my group to fill in some sessions where our DM is unavailable.

It's not a crazy module, but I like to run my bad guys fairly competent. The players are not the biggest optimizers and that's perfectly fine, but with only 3 PC's I'd like to add a DMNPC to the mix to help round out the party and even out the EPL.

Crusader 3/Knight 3
Spirit Shaman 6
Fighter 2/Rogue 4

Obviously they're lacking anything arcane, but my concern is that adding a wizard is going to outshine the party. Obviously buffs and debuffs are likely the way to go with the caster, but spells/day can make that tough to handle if they are having multiple encounters/day (which I encourage).

At 6th level, there really arent prestige classes that are opening up much so I was just curious if anyone had any decent ideas for an arcane type support character that isnt just a Transmuter or Conjurer Wizard.

dascarletm
2013-06-25, 02:34 PM
Put in a sorcerer companion, let one or all of the players run him/her, and let them pick the spells. Then if said sorcerer is doing awesome stuff it is the players who are responsible and enjoy it. When dialogue happens you can run the Sorcerer's personality/whatever. Of course, take care to not be the party face (even if the sorc has the best cha.) It always sucks to talk to oneself while everyone watches.

(Unless the players are cool with/want the opposite of what I said, it is their game after all.)

Barsoom
2013-06-25, 02:35 PM
If the wizard/sorcerer only casts things like Grease, Glitterdust and Slow, the PCs may have ample opportunity to shine. And a level 6 Sorcerer with reasonable Charisma has almost 20 spells per day (6+5+3 plus bonus spells for Charisma), not including cantrips.

Khatoblepas
2013-06-25, 02:54 PM
Try a bard with an optimised Inspire Courage / Dragonfire Inspiration. You got some light arcane casting and buffs, and every action they're doing is to augment the party. You got some skills just in case the party needs you to do anything while they're doing something, and the knowledge to spout some exposition if they really ask.

Just don't focus on being the party face.

Diarmuid
2013-06-25, 03:22 PM
There we go, Dragonfire Inspiration is the kind of thing I was looking for.

Our last 2 campaigns someone has done the whole Words of Creation/Inspirational Boost/Inspire Courage thing so I was trying to avoid something like that.

Are there other ways to boost DFI other than the normal ones that generically boost IC?

Waker
2013-06-25, 03:26 PM
Are there other ways to boost DFI other than the normal ones that generically boost IC?

Choose a dragon with a different energy type for Draconic Heritage? Adding Acid, Electricity or Sonic damage to attacks is a better choice since Fire is so commonly resisted.