PDA

View Full Version : Taking on undead

Rabidmuskrat
2013-06-25, 02:35 PM
Here is the situation. We have found out that we are going into an undead-infested area next and we have in our possession a grand total of 4 vials of holy water. Good for the occasional singular monster, not so good for many repeated fights. Resupplying is impossible. We have no access to any sort of civilization.

So my question is, what can we do that would be effective against undead?

At our disposal we potentially have the following:
- Wizard specializing in conjuration and creation. Assume we can create anything we have raw materials for. Also has an amulet that allows him to cast two offensive evocations spells per day of any level of which he can cast spells, but eats a spell slot of every level.
- Fighter/Skillmonkey (thug variant with a little dm help). Has an interesting magical item that allows him to throw small objects with pretty much pinpoint accuracy at 100ft as well as tanglefoot bags and some acid flasks.
- Shadowcaster with very good stealth. Very useful for scouting.
- Scout that has so far struggled to feature. Uses a bow.
- Crusader. Has a homebrew effect on him that gives him a bonus to speed and bullrushing.
- Warlock with darkness and long range. Also has a staff of healing and wands of CLW/CMW. She doubles as our healer if the druid can't make it. She also has a homebrewed effect on her that allows her to temporarily absorb features and qualities from slain enemies. Unfortunately, it also prevents her from flying for more than a few seconds at a time.
- Druid focusing mostly on healing and a little summoning.

We do, however, have a cloak that allows the wearer to fly in darkness as long as he is holding the tips of the cloak in his hands (no attacks from the air, unfortunately).

What we don't have is a cleric or magic items protecting us from all the usual undead shenanigans such as level or stat drain. The exact kind of undead is unknown, but we do know that it is corporeal, at least, and probably human sized or close to it. Please don't try to guess the undead, I do have more details but I am loathe to give them since I don't want spoilers.

mabriss lethe
2013-06-25, 02:54 PM
What level is your party? That will be a big contributor to the sort of tactics that are available.

Rabidmuskrat
2013-06-25, 03:09 PM
We vary from level 7 to level 10, with our wizard being level 10 and having access to very powerful creation magics (big bonuses to CL for conjuration creation).

Something to do with a combination of Major Creation and Fabricate comes to mind, but for the life of me I can't think what.

The terrain we will be fighting undead in will be either Forest (one set of undead) or Grasslands (another set of undead). We have to get MacGuffins from both sets of undead, but we can choose in which order we take them on and have prep time until our food runs out (so a while, since we don't keep track of that).

RFLS
2013-06-25, 03:17 PM
Two things come to mind:

First, keep in mind that positive energy deals damage to undead.
Secondly, see if you can use those holy water vials to raise an obscuring mist that is composed of holy water. It could be an encounter-winner.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-06-25, 03:25 PM
Your Druid can cast Bone Talisman (from here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a)) to turn undead (most effective if you have some way of boosting CL) or supply the party with cheap weapons that will do some damage to undead regardless of DR.
He can also cure ability damage with Lesser Restoration.
If he is at least level 9 he can also cast Panacea (SpC) to cure some of the conditions undead can inflict. You're out of luck if you get ability or level drained though.
Does anyone in the party have the ability to create consumables (scrolls, runes, potions)?

A lot of undead abilities target fort or will saves, so anything to boost those will help.
Otherwise, your best bet is to seperate them with BFC spells and kill them as quickly as possible to avoid taking damage.

Rabidmuskrat
2013-06-25, 03:44 PM
Secondly, see if you can use those holy water vials to raise an obscuring mist that is composed of holy water. It could be an encounter-winner.

That. Is. AWESOME! Our DM is pretty gung ho with these things, so he might just go for this, especially since we don't really have enough flasks to abuse it.

The bone talisman looks extremely promising, if the DM allows the spell. Suffice to say that the source is a little... odd. If it works though, the Wizard can fabricate us bone weapons that the druid can then enchant. Should work.

Bone will also be relatively easy to obtain, we know where we can get sand giants :D

sleepyphoenixx
2013-06-25, 03:52 PM
Since your dm is open to homebrew i assumed that it wouldn't be a problem.
It's not like the spell is particularly overpowered and it's still official content.

Rabidmuskrat
2013-06-25, 04:09 PM
Yeah, he has included some homebrew, but he originally said books only, no internet stuff. We've been dealing with other things on a case by case basis.

The only problem is that he had not been anticipating the spell when he made the encounters. He might feel that it would make them too easy if we suddenly had access to turn undead. Still, it wont hurt to ask.

Another idea iv been kicking around is chopping down a few trees from the forest and having our wizard fabricate/craft us a battlewagon to fight from. Propulsion might be a problem, though. Maybe if we put a harness on the crusader?

Rabidmuskrat
2013-06-25, 04:12 PM
Oh yes, i just remembered one of the two groups (either the forest or grassland undead) are some kind of flying things. With our lack of mobility that could be a problem. Our wizard can cast fly, but i doubt it will be enough.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-06-25, 04:17 PM
Oh yes, i just remembered one of the two groups (either the forest or grassland undead) are some kind of flying things. With our lack of mobility that could be a problem. Our wizard can cast fly, but i doubt it will be enough.

Earthbind (Drac) is a level 2 spell for Druids and Wizards.