PDA

View Full Version : Divine Dilemma

Arkhosia
2013-06-25, 03:04 PM
Recently, I have been experimenting with my final choice as my character, a drow cleric/avenger. Knowing full well the fact a renegade paladin, cleric, etc. still retains powers from the rejected god, this has posed two questions for a backstory (avenger of Lolth, subsequent missions led to disillusionment and then abandonment of her god, swore to serve Corellion to redeem herself and make up for the evil she did in Lolth's name).
1. Can a character gain powers from different-aligned gods without complications in power, and 2. Would a god accept a renegade follower of his/her enemy?

Musco
2013-06-25, 03:51 PM
Following Gods is an act of faith, meaning, you either follow said God truthfully, or not at all in his/her eyes, so yes, a devoted follower would always be embraced, ESPECIALLY coming from an enemy deity.

As for the powers, you do not "receive your powers from the Gods", per say. Basically, the Gods enable your character to find hidden powers and do great feats with them. You don't even have to pray for them, for instance. Of course, fluff-wise, whatever floats your boat. You could have retained a small part of Lolth's power inside you, you could have your new God granting you the powers she stripped, etc, etc, etc.

Bottom line is: you have your powers.

vasharanpaladin
2013-06-25, 03:53 PM
Yes and yes.

The former isn't supported by the character builder (which isn't a rule source regardless) but can be readily adjudicated at the table; just remember that, if you have multiple "Power of..." feats attached to the same at-will, only one of them applies at a time.

The latter is practically the entire point of the Redeemed Drow epic destiny.

Arkhosia
2013-06-25, 06:32 PM
Following Gods is an act of faith, meaning, you either follow said God truthfully, or not at all in his/her eyes, so yes, a devoted follower would always be embraced, ESPECIALLY coming from an enemy deity.

As for the powers, you do not "receive your powers from the Gods", per say. Basically, the Gods enable your character to find hidden powers and do great feats with them. You don't even have to pray for them, for instance. Of course, fluff-wise, whatever floats your boat. You could have retained a small part of Lolth's power inside you, you could have your new God granting you the powers she stripped, etc, etc, etc.

Bottom line is: you have your powers.

Thanks, but why exactly would a god embrace an ex-zealous follower of his/ her enemy? Do you mean because of the fact the rival would be deprived of a (possibly very strong) follower, and would therefore possibly gain one?

vasharanpaladin
2013-06-25, 07:36 PM
Thanks, but why exactly would a god embrace an ex-zealous follower of his/ her enemy? Do you mean because of the fact the rival would be deprived of a (possibly very strong) follower, and would therefore possibly gain one?

Redemption. Drow have an epic destiny devoted to this idea.

EDIT: Dragon #367 p.41, Redeemed Drow. And I will remind you that in 4e everything printed by WotC is core, so I'll accept none of that argument. Especially as you really only need the fluff. :smallmad:

Arkhosia
2013-06-26, 01:39 AM
Redemption. Drow have an epic destiny devoted to this idea.

EDIT: Dragon #367 p.41, Redeemed Drow. And I will remind you that in 4e everything printed by WotC is core, so I'll accept none of that argument. Especially as you really only need the fluff. :smallmad:

Thanks, that helped solve part of the question, but are there other reasons for such a thing to happen?

Kurald Galain
2013-06-26, 04:24 AM
And I will remind you that in 4e everything printed by WotC is core

It would be more accurate to say that for 4E, WOTC has tried to make the term "core" meaningless, but many people still play a PHB1/DMG1 only campaign (which is what "core" means in earlier editions).

Musco
2013-06-26, 10:02 AM

Exactly. Follower math, really. They gain one (and remember, you can't "trick" a God into believing you're following the, you either are - and they know it - or you're not - and they know it as well), and the enemy loses one. If it's got potential, all the better.

Arkhosia
2013-06-26, 09:26 PM
Exactly. Follower math, really. They gain one (and remember, you can't "trick" a God into believing you're following the, you either are - and they know it - or you're not - and they know it as well), and the enemy loses one. If it's got potential, all the better.

I had forgotten that gods are untrickable that way.