PDA

View Full Version : DMing help

ThatGuyOvaThere
2013-06-25, 06:33 PM
I am dming for a group with three new players to the world of D&D, and it is my first campaign in about a year so I want to make it really really great so I can stay dungeon master. Do you all have any suggestions, I only know that one player is a fighter training to train dinosaurs. Although, I suspect a rouge, barbarian, and a wizard as other classes, there are still two other players. Any kind of help is appreciated.

Rover
2013-06-25, 07:26 PM
Make many many flowcharts.

Whether it's for dungeon corridors or plot points the players will often do things you don't plan.

Think of the most common possibilities and work out the consequences for each big choice they make.

After all railroading isn't fun for the players or you.

Let them make decisions and be prepared for them.

GreenETC
2013-06-25, 08:09 PM
I would recommend this. (http://www.critical-hits.com/blog/2009/07/29/using-the-5x5-method-for-adventure-design/) Make sure you also read the first article, which is linked on the page.

The 5x5 method is rather extensive, but you can easily adapt the style to a much shorter method in order to help give yourself branching paths and possibilities without taking away all the players' options.