PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Servant Early Entry Confusion

ColossusCrusher
2013-06-25, 08:09 PM
So I'm looking at the Rainbow Servant's Handbook and it mentions the following as level 2 entries:

Human with Earth Sense, Heighten Spell, Sanctum Spell and Earth Spell
Any race with Versatile Spellcaster, Heighten Spell and Sanctum Spell

I understand that Sanctum allows 1st-level spells to qualify as second-level spells, but I'm not understanding how the rest of the feat choices get you to third-level spells and early qualification.

And let's keep the text/table argument out of this, please? I'd rather not see this get completely derailed. :)

NeoPhoenix0
2013-06-25, 08:13 PM
For the second one you use two level 1 spell slots to cast a level 1 spell heightened to level 2 and sanctum makes it count as level 3.

Scow2
2013-06-25, 08:19 PM
For the second one you use two level 1 spell slots to cast a level 1 spell heightened to level 2 and sanctum makes it count as level 3.

It doesn't count for purposes of being able to cast level 3 spells, though. You're still casting a level 1 spell.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-06-25, 08:22 PM
It doesn't count for purposes of being able to cast level 3 spells, though. You're still casting a level 1 spell.

Why doesn't it exactly.

I'm very curious because i love poking holes RAW exploits.

Spuddles
2013-06-25, 08:38 PM

Incorrect.

Benefit: A sanctum spell has an effective spell level 1 higher than its normal level if cast in your sanctum (see below), but if not cast in the sanctum, the spell has an effec-tive spell level 1 lower than normal. All effects dependent on spell level (including save DCs) are calculated according to the adjusted level.

Scow2
2013-06-25, 08:40 PM
Incorrect.

Benefit: A sanctum spell has an effective spell level 1 higher than its normal level if cast in your sanctum (see below), but if not cast in the sanctum, the spell has an effec-tive spell level 1 lower than normal. All effects dependent on spell level (including save DCs) are calculated according to the adjusted level.Prestige class prerequisits are not an effect. You can cast a level 1 spell and have it count as a level 3 spell, but you can't cast an actual level 3 spell.

Chronos
2013-06-25, 09:12 PM
A spell heightened to third level is a third level spell.

JaronK
2013-06-26, 02:41 AM
Prestige class prerequisits are not an effect. You can cast a level 1 spell and have it count as a level 3 spell, but you can't cast an actual level 3 spell.

If it counts as a level 3 spell, then it counts as a level 3 spell. That's kinda what counts as means.

JaronK

sleepyphoenixx
2013-06-26, 05:17 AM
If it counts as a level 3 spell, then it counts as a level 3 spell. That's kinda what counts as means.

JaronK

This. If you don't like early entry tricks just tell your players "no early entry tricks in my game" instead of arguing about RAW with them.